• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serena shows the world her true colors

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he wasn't . Those that had warning or punishment were made known by the referee and cmmentators.

Seen enough time that the referee delayed mentioning that he handed out punishment. Mandatory punishments are always handed out.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolute nonsense. Sole exception a completely legitimate cartoon, which unleashed another unjustified fire-storm. Most media goose-stepped to the Serena tune, coming close to white-washing her behaviour.

Now, this explains where you are coming from. To claim that cartoon is legitimate is abhorrent. People who know the dynamics, the history of the cartoonist as well as the stereotypical Jim Crow era cartoons (which I am not sure you know since if you are from this good ole USA you should know) all say it is racist. The media here in the US as well as the majority posters on message boards and fora have been decidedly against her. And that is a fact.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen enough time that the referee delayed mentioning that he handed out punishment. Mandatory punishments are always handed out.

You are not making sense here.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, this explains where you are coming from. To claim that cartoon is legitimate is abhorrent. People who know the dynamics, the history of the cartoonist as well as the stereotypical Jim Crow era cartoons (which I am not sure you know since if you are from this good ole USA you should know) all say it is racist. The media here in the US as well as the majority posters on message boards and fora have been decidedly against her. And that is a fact.

Of course these people say it is racist, because in today's world, as soon as you critique anything it almost by definition is racist, as long as the subject is not white male and/or muslim. If you are a white male cartoonist, you definitely got a problem in today's world.

Well, unless you are making cartoons for Disney, just about every single (political) cartoonist has not had had spotless past, and the only thing I could find about him was one cartoon 2 decades ago.

Common characteristic of a certain style of (political) cartoons is that the (facial) features of the subject are exagerrated. And yes, almost by definition this ends up for Serena in a 'Jim Crow' era cartoon, since her own features already come awefully close to it (hair, nose, big breasts and behind, fairly big lips) - without any form of exageration.

Go look up other cartoons of this cartoonist, and you see his style (also see how he depicted Kyrgios just a few days earlier).

By your logic (and those of the critics) any cartoon of a woman is sexist, any cartoon of someone whose facial features come close to Jim Crow elements naturally cannot be made (if one does, one is racist), just like any cartoon of a person with a big onse, deeper laying eyes and big eyebrows who happens to be Jewish is by that definition definitely anti-Semitic.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not making sense here.

Enough time that the referee assesses the penalty a little later, rather then immediately. Seen it happen often enough during live feeds -> would never show up in highlight videos.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the males often watch women's tennis to watch the hot chicks play. but every now and then a female who can really play comes along. she was one of them.

damn i miss that. retired at 26, ranked #1. :L

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone with a great 1 handed BH is not going to do shit without at least 2 of those other 4 traits. See Richard Gasquet.

Agree. I've never bought into the "Gasquet is an all around good player" view.

To me, other than his backhand, he didn't have anything that was above average.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reality Check: Are female tennis players treated unfairly?

During the 2018 Grand Slams, more fines were given out to men.

We don't have the data to test the accusation that umpires fail to punish some angry outbursts made by a man, but penalise a woman for a similar type of angry rant.

During the four Grand Slam tournaments in 2018 - Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open - 85 fines for code violations were issued to men.

33 for abuse of racquet or equipment
16 for audible obscenity
16 for "unsportsmanlike" conduct
9 for coaching
2 for first round retirement
7 for start of match time, time violation, delay of game
2 for verbal abuse

There were fewer issued to women - 43.

13 for coaching
10 for audible obscenity
10 for abuse of racquet or equipment
5 for "unsportsmanlike" conduct
3 for start of match time, time violation, delay of game
1 for media conference
1 for verbal abuse

Men play more sets at major tournaments so are on court for longer and that might lead to more infractions, or give them more time to lose their cool.

To account for the longer game time, you could work out how many fines were issued per set. So, take the US Open singles' tournament. Then include fines for in-play violations and exclude retirement and the time and game delay violations.

In the women's singles tournament that's 11 fines in 297 sets, which amounts to 0.037 fines per set.

It's slightly higher for men - 21 fines in 460 sets, which amounts to 0.046 fines per set.

So, once these factors have been taken into account, there's no evidence that women were fined more often than men per set during the 2018 US Open.

However, these calculations don't take into account whether umpires are more likely to punish female players than men for a similar outburst during a match.

What's the difference between "verbal abuse" and "audible obscenity"?

I guess calling someone a thief isn't obscenity. But why have two categories?

I don't think you can really have audible obscenity without verbal abuse. Because even saying the F word is usually directed at something, and can thus be construed as verbal abuse. They should just have one category.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a one hander is more versatile. you can hit flat, topspin, or slice and dice, yet still get plenty of power.. it also enables a player to stretch out and cover more ground.

I agree it allows a player to stretch and cover more ground.

But can't you also hit these same backhands with two hands?

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you can really have audible obscenity without verbal abuse. Because even saying the F word is usually directed at something, and can thus be construed as verbal abuse. They should just have one category.

Obsenity means using foul language to berate oneself (or one's play) (basically if you tell yourself your play f-ing s***s counts as obscenity in the Disnified media universe).

Verbal abuse means going after your opponent, or the official. And going after the integrety of the official (which calling him a thief does) is actually literally mentioned as a mandatory violation in the rulebook.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could but shorter backswing ( two hands cannot stretch back far or Cover more wingspan ) and generate momentum that a single hander can. Still I think there was this male player ( Jan Michael Gambill) that hit everything with two hands.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

don't know, but if you've already been called for a couple code violations, better cool it.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think flexibility is restricted with two hands on the racket, making it a less versatile shot.. 2 handers are usually just driving the ball.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(basically if you tell yourself your play f-ing s***s counts as obscenity in the Disnified media universe).

LOL. Maybe they can say it's verbal abuse to oneself?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think flexibility is restricted with two hands on the racket, making it a less versatile shot.. 2 handers are usually just driving the ball.

Didn't Del Potro hit a slice backhand almost every time, for most of the past 2 years? Until in recent weeks.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Del Potro hit a slice backhand almost every time, for most of the past 2 years? Until in recent weeks.

didn't watch it. was he hitting it with one hand or two hands?

you can hit a slice with 2 hands, but there's no need for two hands, it just reduces reach.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course these people say it is racist, because in today's world, as soon as you critique anything it almost by definition is racist, as long as the subject is not white male and/or muslim. If you are a white male cartoonist, you definitely got a problem in today's world.

Well, unless you are making cartoons for Disney, just about every single (political) cartoonist has not had had spotless past, and the only thing I could find about him was one cartoon 2 decades ago.

Common characteristic of a certain style of (political) cartoons is that the (facial) features of the subject are exagerrated. And yes, almost by definition this ends up for Serena in a 'Jim Crow' era cartoon, since her own features already come awefully close to it (hair, nose, big breasts and behind, fairly big lips) - without any form of exageration.

Go look up other cartoons of this cartoonist, and you see his style (also see how he depicted Kyrgios just a few days earlier).

By your logic (and those of the critics) any cartoon of a woman is sexist, any cartoon of someone whose facial features come close to Jim Crow elements naturally cannot be made (if one does, one is racist), just like any cartoon of a person with a big onse, deeper laying eyes and big eyebrows who happens to be Jewish is by that definition definitely anti-Semitic.

Complete nonsense. Yep you only find one cartoon. Of course there is no exaggeration because Naomi with her black father and Japanese mother is a lily white blond girl that Ramos is imploring to let Serena win. You are insane.
Yet Naomi is a tennis player because of Serena! looking up to her idol who assured her that the booing is not for her but for the umpire who inserted himself into the match. A lot of young girls and mothers still look up to Serena as their role model. I could care less what the chauvinist racist loons think about this woman who had won more tennis laurels for USA than any woman.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heheheeeee. Lies, damned lies and statistics. Putting raw numbers without context is the stuff that the ignorant dabble in.
It is said that umpires and referees are doing a good job if fans don’t notice they are there. If that’s the case then Carlos Ramos’s performance during Saturday’s controversial US Open final was a failure.

"Ramos has also been accused of inconsistencies. At this year’s Wimbledon quarter-final between Novak Djokovic and Kei Nishikori both players threw their rackets to the ground in frustration. However, only Djokovic was issued a warning and directed a comment at the umpire during the game: “Double standards, my friend, double standards,” he told Ramos. After the match, Djokovic brought the subject up again with reporters. “I thought I didn’t harm the grass. I know how I threw the racket. [Nishikori] even threw the racket in the fourth set. [Ramos] said he didn’t see it it.”

Ramos has also been accused of grandstanding. At the 2016 Olympics, he issued Andy Murray with a code violation when he thought the reigning champion had called him “stupid”."
“I didn’t say ‘stupid umpire’, I said ‘stupid umpiring’. But if you want to be the star of the show, that’s fine,” said Murray as the two spoke during a break between games." Indeed.

He tried the same coaching shit on Venus and Venus put him in his place on her way to demolishing Cornet.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the males often watch women's tennis to watch the hot chicks play. but every now and then a female who can really play comes along. she was one of them.

damn i miss that. retired at 26, ranked #1. :L

Are you sure those males who are no tennis fans don't go watch **** and jerk themselves off? If you watch tennis just for the women and notfor any passion for tennis you are lost.