• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Senior Bowl notes

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Senior Bowl: O-line prospects play well
January, 21, 2013 6:26PM ET
By Kevin Weidl

MOBILE, Ala. -- It was the first day of practice at the Senior Bowl, and we were at Ladd-Peebles Stadium watching the North team practice.

As usual on the first day, you want to see how the quarterbacks do with new receivers, a new offense and in front of the eyes of scouts and TV cameras.

Ryan Nassib was the most consistent QB on Day 1 for the North.

Of the group, I thought Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib had the best day. He was on the mark early on, had zip on the ball and good placement with his out routes. He also did a good job of looking off his throws on the one-high safety in seven-on-seven drills. I thought he was confident in letting it rip. I like the anticipation. I think he's out there competing.

Zac Dysart of Miami (Ohio) may have been the most erratic today. He had poor ball placement throughout the day. His one INT in seven-on-sevens wasn't his fault as his receiver slipped. Then, there was his INT during the whole team workout, which was his fault. He needed to show he belonged as he's the only quarterback here from a non-AQ conference, but he was a little shaky.

North Carolina State QB Mike Glennon is the easiest thrower of the football. He has a big stature, strong arm. The ball comes out easy for him. He had a little trouble with his accuracy. He was a little high on both of his throws in the seam route, one of which was intercepted in team period. And he still holds the ball too long. Glennon doesn't have a ton of mobility -- I expected him to be a little better, but watching him and Nassib at the end of practice, I noticed Nassib had put his body into it.

Glennon has to work on his anticipation, and it will get better as it goes along. No one really stood out, but Nassib had the best day overall.

Denard Robinson is making a position switch from QB to WR, and didn't get a lot of reps in seven-on-seven or team drills. It looked as if he was off to the side learning. Early on, his routes were segmented, as if he were feeling out the position right now. He needs to learn the little things that go along with being a wide receiver -- getting out of breaks, understanding leverages. His hands were inconsistent, as he had a drop.

He's going to have to do some returning. Thing is, he didn't look natural. He has problems judging punts at times. The ball would hang, and he would fight against the wind, and muffed one. It will be interesting to see his development.

Offensive line group shines

This group had me excited. We have Central Michigan's Eric Fisher as a first-rounder, and he looked like one. He's an easy mover, especially in one-on-ones. He can shuffle-and-mirror with defensive linemen, moving laterally and latching on. I thought he had a good day.

Syracuse's Justin Pugh has good feet and good balance, and strong inline power. He checked in under 6-foot-5, but has short arms and that brings up some concerns. But he's a guy who can play guard or center. I think he could be a good starter in the NFL. I like his instincts and toughness.

Brian Winters of Kent State is a tough kid and finishes. And Ricky Wagner, the tackle from Wisconsin, did a good job against UConn's Trevardo Williams. Wagner did a nice job of sinking and anchoring and riding defenders past the pocket.

Oregon's Kyle Long is raw. He needs a lot of work, but he has a lot of tools to work with. He's athletic with natural power and a flexible lower half. He's a step late -- it's a little fast for him now, but you have to have patience because he has the talent, but he needs to be molded and worked with. The biggest thing with Long is how has he progressed during the week.

That's the good, right there.

Illinois' Hugh Thornton is a tough kid, strong and sort of nasty, but he had trouble with balance and holding up in space. And Braxston Cave from Notre Dame got rocked back a few times.

But overall this group was impressive. It's one of the better groups I've seen in my six years at the Senior Bowl.

Sylvester Williams should be a first-rounder. The question is: How high will he go in that round?

The best player of Day One

Of anyone on the field, the guy who had the best practice was North Carolina's Sylvester Williams. He has strong, powerful hands and had a tackle for a loss in nine-on-seven. His combination of quickness and power -- with his hands and his feet -- is really disruptive. He had four or five opportunities -- although you can't tackle -- to blow up the play in the backfield.

He is a guy who performed like a first-rounder and if he keeps playing like this, he'll elevate his stock. The way he played today -- he was the best.

Miscellaneous practice notes

DL Alex Okafor of Texas did some nice things on the edge. I wonder how explosive he is. He has length and power and he used his hands well, but you'd like to see a little more consistency.

DL Kawaan Short of Purdue showed some quickness with his hands and feet, and won a few one-on-ones.

UCLA DL Datone Jones has power and can be explosive, but is a little light and will need to play defensive end or the five-technique.

DL Margus Hunt from SMU is a freak of nature at 6-8, 277, but raw. He had trouble with counter-punching. A good example is Sylvester Williams, the best one here at that skill.

At linebacker, UNC's Kevin Reddick and Rutgers' Khaseem Green stood out. They did a good job sticking with the running backs and with their anticipation. Reddick is an enforcer in the run game, good in tight quarters and can blitz.

Ohio State's John Simon is the one we talked about in our weigh-in notes. His lack of size showed in today's practice. His lack of length off the edge in one-on-one drills was evident. He's strong, but struggled in one-on-one coverage. You'd have to find a unique position. There are limited roles for him in the NFL. He's in the third-round mix.

DBs Blidi Wreh-Wilson of UConn and Boise State's Jamar Taylor stood out to me. Wreh-Wilson is big, strong, balanced and did a great job of using his length in press coverage to disrupt timing. As a matter of fact, he jammed up Oregon State's Marcus Wheaton, tossed him aside and made a pick in team play. It was impressive. He's smooth for his size.

Taylor's not as big was Wreh-Wilson, but he's smooth too. I like his instincts. He turned and located the ball on his interception on a deep throw -- good job of locating, recovering and making the INT.

Utah State's Will Davis and Oregon State's Jordan Poyer had tough days. They were a little tight and had trouble running. They struggled to recover when they were beaten. Poyer had no burst out of his breaks.

Marshall WR Aaron Dobson had a good day and was able to separate. He caught the ball well. Wheaton needs to get stronger, but he can move, he can fly. He ran by a lot of guys and is quick out of his breaks. He caught the ball well. He had trouble at the end of the season, but he caught the ball well today.

UCLA's Johnathan Franklin had the best day of the running backs. He was sudden out of his routes, had good burst and caught the ball well.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scott Wright:

My favorite interview so far was #Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson. Just a down-to-Earth, genuine guy. Pretty good player too!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tony Pauline:

Trevardo Williams/UConn will miss Senior Bowl today due to an ankle sprain

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Ty Powell of Harding #Arkansas getting a lot of buzz here today #SeniorBowl

----------------------------------

Jene Bramel:

Arthur Brown again out observing practice, absorbing coaching. Trevardo Williams not practicing either. Will get first look at Ty Powell

---------------------------------

Shane Hallam:

Denard Robinson fielding punts before practice. Not dropping them today

Dysert a bit sloppy rolling out and passing

Ryan Lownes:

As a draft analyst, it's very hard to rank these two (Fluker, Pugh) vs. eachother. Both probably scheme-specific OTs

Matt Miller:

Marquise Goodwin returning punts before practice. Smooth.

Rick Wagner starting the day at RT.

Justin Pugh starting at left tackle. Shorter arms but fluid inside technique.

Like the lower body quick from Eric Fisher. He's making himself a lot of money this week.

Justin Pugh looks like a zone blocking guy to me. Don't think he's a power blocker.

Datone Jones is one of the strongest DEs here and he couldn't bend back Eric Fisher.

Great job by Fisher to get his shoulders low and sustain contact.

Eric Fisher is owning people. I'm sold.

--------------------------------

Michael Schottey:

That sound you hear is Eric Fisher's stock rising. Hearing "top 5" and "top 3" used by scouts/media/agents

Shawn Zobel:

Now that he has a helmet, Harding LB Ty Powell's stock is about to go through the roof. He's a natural at rushing the passer and its showing

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

The afore mentioned Ty Powell of Harding #Arkansas is running with the ones.

May have an unheralded star here in Ty Powell. He's in on every play right now.

Ty Powell again on the hit. Taken 39 mins for every scout here to start buzzing about him. #SeniorBowl

Nassib has struggled here with the qb center exchange. #SeniorBowl

Matt Bowen:

Denard Robinson: Footwork & technique at the top of the route stem need to be developed in his transition to WR.

Joe Everett:

Aaron Dobson, #Marshall came up limping after catch early in north practice. #SeniorBowl

Eric Galko:

Sylvester Williams, UNC DT, really impressive today off the snap. Elite first step, developed first move.

Shane Hallam:

Michael Buchanan and Kawann Short really dominating 7 on 7s

Thomas Melton:

Looks like Dobson rolled his ankle, think he's getting taped. #Marshall

Hugh Thornton looks great today. Not sure he's a great puller but he has power and finishes blocks well. Love him at guard.

Jeff Risdon:

Khaseem Greene's lack of power very evident in blitz drill

Michael Schottey:

Pugh (OL Cuse) needs a bigger punch with those short arms. He's playing OK today, but guys are inside on him

Fisher is just controlling everyone, on every snap

Buchanan (DE Illinois) has a real fiery streak a couple near scuffles, lots of jawing

Kawann Short is abusing Braxton Cave on every matchup...rip, bull rush...doesn't matter

Michael Tanier:

Watching CBs. Trufant a notch above all the rest. #SeniorBowl

Denard Robinson just slipped while cutting on a wheel route, then recovered and still separated up the sideline. #SeniorBowl

Scott Wright:

Marshall WR Aaron Dobson & #Washington CB Marcus Trufant look good; #Elon WR Aaron Mellette & #Michigan WR Denard Robinson struggling a bit

Shawn Zobel:

All three QB's are again showing poor accuracy, completely off the mark with some of their throws

I said last week after watching him in person that Powell would blow up...just thought it'd be a few weeks later at the Combine

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jinx Allessio:

Dysert has been erratic today...to say the least.

-------------------------------------

Benjamin Allbright:

Dysert sails another one, picked off. #SeniorBowl

Glennon has been the best for the North, Wilson best Qb for south thus far. #SeniorBowl

Eric Galko:

If scouts didn't know Eric Fisher was elite, after today they do. Stud pass blocker. Best OT performance thus far in my 3 years here

Every DT is abusing Cave. Cave struggling.

-----------------------------------

Shane Hallam:

Eric Fisher dominant. Great foot movement relentless under the pads. Just took Okafor for a ride

DT Brandon Williams strong lower body used to his advantage. Jordan Hill has been off balance for most of the drills

Ryan Lownes:

Nassib seems to anticipate & have a good understanding of timing, but the accuracy isn't always there and mechanics break down too often.

Josh Norris:

Everything seems to be sailing on Dysert today

------------------------------------

Michael Schottey:

Fisher just went one on one with Alex Okafor. Beat him like a rented mule. Ridiculous initial punch, slapped him away on the secondary move

------------------------------------

Scott Wright:

Mike Glennon of North Carolina St. the most impressive of six QBs at Senior Bowl by far. Can really spin it. Easy guy to fall in love with

Not that North Carolina St. QB Mike Glennon has been perfect but a lot more positives than negatives. Looking forward to 11-on-11's.

Shawn Zobel:

Eric Fisher is playing lights out today. May be cementing himself as a Top 15, if not Top 10 guy

This week is going to be devastating for Ryan Nassib

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Dysert slow release, low velocity pass. Tipped. I like him on tape, but weak showing today. #SeniorBowl

Jinx Allessio:

Dobson doing great with downfield blocking

TJ McDonald with a hell of a play, really showing up a few times

Eric Galko:

Datone Jones (UCLA DL) only one giving Eric Fisher some trouble. Good leg drive, nice rip inside after initial push.Speaks volumes for Jones

--------------------------------------

Shane Hallam:

Rick Wagner struggling mightily

Dysert #3 QB today pretty clearly behind Glennon and Nassib

Emory Hunt:

Goodwin from Texas is like a surgeon with his route running #SeniorBowl

---------------------------------------

Josh Liskiewitz:

NC State QB Mike Glennon looks like s superstar today, WOW!

----------------------------------------

Ryan Lownes:

Good/Bad: Nassib often fits the ball into the tightest of windows, but in trying to force the ball into tight spots, he'll throw some picks.

Thomas Melton:

Eric Fisher is amazing. Only got beat twice, both by Datone Jones at the end of the drill. What a battle. #CentralMichigan #Ucla

I have questions about Kawann Short's motor but there's no denying his talent and his power. Very hard to move off the ball. #Purdue

I didn't see the North much yesterday, but Brian Winters doesn't look too comfortable at OG to me. Doesn't move very well either #KentState

Ricky Wagner bends at the waist at times but he has solid recovery. Not sure I love him at RT though. Lacks some power.

Steve Palazzolo:

Braxston Cave reportedly struggling at Senior Bowl. Had some real nice moments against Jesse Williams in BCS Title Game

Tony Pauline:

Kwann Short/Purdue has been dominant at times this morning in North practice

Really have to like what see from Eric Fisher/CMU. Don't be surprised if people talk top 15 soon.

Datone Jones/UCLA flashing brilliance this morning.

Michael Schottey:

Margays Hunt having a decent day, solidifying himself as a late first kinda guy ...interesting where he could play

Michael Tanier:

Nassib is in fire high mode in 7 on 7s #SeniorBowl

Just saw some good foot frequency from Jonathan Franklin of UCLA #SeniorBowl

Ben Volin:

Source says Tyrann Mathieu met with the entire #Dolphins staff last night for an interview. Honey Badger has spent time w/ 15 teams already

Shawn Zobel:

This TE from Harvard is very quietly having a very nice day blocking. Stonewalled Khaseem Greene earlier & just drove Datone Jones off ball

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Do you think Short would be a good NT?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Dysert starting to warm up. Two good passes in a row. #SeniorBowl

Jinx Allessio:

Greene blanketed the RB...having a good day

Greene did admirably shedding a Fisher block

Ryan Broaddus:

Really enjoying this matchup between Fisher and Datone Jones. Both guys are going back and forth. Nice film for scouts to study when done.

Joe Everett:

WR Aaron Dobson is back out there and playing well. Just caught a pass on the sidelines from Dysert. #Marshall #SeniorBowl

Eric Galko:

Jonathan Cyprien, FIU Saf, is so rangy, aggressive, hard hitting. Easy to like, fun to watch. Reviewed him last night. MAYBE top 3 Safety

Sorry Denard, you're NOT a punt returner prospect if you can't field a punt. Struggling MIGHTILY there

-----------------------------------

Shane Hallam:

Kevin Reddick sluggish all practice

Khaseem Greene fluid explodes through his hips

Margus Hunt disappearing today for me. Tough for a 6'8 guy but he did

Justin Pugh played LT some. Did okay but def not his position

Ryan Nassib gets it done when he steps up and drives but needs that plant foot for power

Thomas Melton:

Dobson with a nice snag from Dysert. Maybe Dysert's best throw today. #Marshall #MiamiOhio #seniorbowl

Winters seriously does not look comfortable at OG to me. Not his stance, not in pass pro either. Just got beat bad by Jordan Hill

I really like Thornton. I'm going to have to go back and watch him a lot, he was one of my favorites today #Illinois #seniorbowl

On the other hand Braxton Cave and Joe Madsen struggled to anchor when I saw them + didn't seem to have much lower body strength #seniorbowl

Between some of my reservations about Joeckel and how impressive Fisher has been I'm going to have to review both. Fisher so impressive #CMU

Tony Pauline:

Marquise Goodwin/Texas and Markus Wheaton/Oregon State the best WRs this morning.

Aaron Mellette/Elon looking like he belongs this morning. Battling hard.

Denard Robinson/Michigan struggling handling punts.