• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Senior Bowl notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chris Mortensen:

NFL scouts not surprised NC St QB Mike Glennon measured 6-6 3/4 today at Senior Bowl. Despite school 6-5 listing, he was considered 6-7.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shawn Zobel:

Re: Fluker. With 36 inch arms, that certainly helps his chances of staying at RT. Either way, he was impressive in person

---------------------------

Shawn Zobel:

No real surprises today. Justin Pugh's arm length and Kawann Short checking in at 301 pounds despite frame are most notable.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm sitting here steaming over some of these writers talking about all these "shockers" that aren't really shockers if you've done enough reading!!!!!!!!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dane Brugler:

Text from scout buddy: "Physique-wise, Datone Jones and Jonathan Cyprien were most impressive to me"

----------------------------------

Josh Norris:

This doesn't change how much I like Pugh. But his height and arm length don't line up. Still an athletic mover. Likely will see snaps at T&G

-----------------------------------------------

Rob Rang:

Short arms likely to push Kent State's Brian Winters (32"), Tennessee's Dallas Thomas (32") & Syracuse's Justin Pugh (31.5") to OG in NFL.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2013 Senior Bowl: Weigh-in | The Rookie Scouting Portfolio

Structure to Team-Player Interviews: There was no defined interview schedule for teams and players in the past. It’s been a free-for-all and based on Savage’s commentary, I get the feeling teams weren’t happy that they couldn’t get equal time with every player and the lack of structure often put players in a bad light because the chaos made it easy for players to miss appointments. This year Savage created one basic schedule where each day there were would be 36 players scheduled to meet on the first floor of the team hotel. There will be four media rooms and nine players from this group of 36 will be cycled through each room four times so they can meet with every team. The fact that there was no planning like this before just boggles my mind. The remaining 70 players not scheduled are free to meet with teams as arranged informally.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It happens every year (even beyond football) and it's not a big deal, but I get a kick out of different interpretations from people looking at the same thing. For example, two guys looking at Sylvester Williams describe him as "very impressive" vs "sloppy".

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is something I'm going to hold off from doing. I'm going to try to hold off on posting small twitter tidbits such as, "(Insert name here) is dropping everything."

I'm so tired of writers every single dang year acting like they see every rep from every player and act like they can paint an accurate picture over TWITTER. Therefore, I will be holding off as much as I can on certain messages like that. With that said, stuff like this I'll be posting:

Shane Hallam: Robert Alford and BW Webb working some punt returns

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going to get updated in stages. First I'm going to post twitter notes and then get to some links.

Benjamin Allbright:

Cobi Hamilton look great in 7 on 7. Just worked McFadden

Manuel taking too long w/ his reads #SeniorBowl

Jene Bramel:

No surprises w/ North LB alignments. Beauharnais and Reddick inside. Going to get long look at Duke Williams at safety this week

Arthur Brown participating / taking mental reps in shorts.

---------------------------------

Shane Hallam:

WR Ryan Swope with 3 drops or so today too

Vance McDonald sneaky elusive for a TE

Mike Gillislee my favorite RB at this practice so far. Tough and even a bit elusive. Fitting through tight spaces

-----------------------------------

Ryan Lownes:

Landry Jones is a rhythm passer if I've ever seen one. Needs consistency across the board. Doesn't improvise well. Could struggle this wk.

--------------------------------

Thomas Melton:

Like I saw on tape Ansah doesn't explode off the ball but he is a very long athlete. Still not seeing the JPP comparisons.

John Jenkins inexplicably jumped on his first rep and second rep despite being lined up in A gap in 1 on 1s. Couldn't believe it #Georgia

However, he can't be blocked by one guy here. Too big and strong. Even flashed an arm over move vs Schwenke. #Georgia #Cal

Lane Johnson handled Ansah in the two reps he got, had the length to neutralize Ansah's. Want to see him get bull rushed. #Oklahoma #BYU

Not surprising but Ryan Allen has a good leg #LouisianaTech

I was pretty disappointed with Michael Williams' route running. Stiff and little burst.

Matt Miller:

Nassib takes first team reps for North. Kyle Long at RT.

Glennon looks quick out of his backpedal. So far, so good.

Tony Pauline:

Vance McDonald/Rice smokimg the Lbs and S's in one-on-one drills.

EJ Manuel/Florida State has made some throws that made scouts go WOW then others when they sadi WTF

Lane johnson/T/OU shutting down opponents in the pit

Larry Warford/Kentucky was dominant on 1-on-1. Once he got his hands on opponents game over

Leon McFadden/CB/SDSU looks really good. Really good.

Garrett Gilkey/Chadron State looks good. Not intimidated. Attacking. Stunned John Jenkins on one play

NFL scout on John Jenkins body type; "perfect for an NT- his ass in encroaching on his neck!"

Michael Schottey:

Nassib (QB Cuse) taking first-team snaps for North team over Glennon and Dysert

Glennon (at half speed) looks the most raw with footwork and mechanics. One time he threw was with nice spin though

Not playing, but Arthur Brown (LB KSU) is sticking around to learn

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sigmund Bloom:

Aaron Dobson (WR-Marshall) appears to have legit effortless separation speed... RB/WR classes lack marquee player, but wow the depth

Matt Bowen:

O-Line/D-Line 1-on-1s at @seniorbowl.... CMU LT Eric Fisher looks the part. Size, flexibility & power.

Dane Brugler:

Ill be surprised if #OregonSt WR Markus Wheaton doesn't emerge as the top WR on North squad. So far, so good #SeniorBowl

Eric Galko:

Khaseem Greene shutting RBs/TEs down in pickup coverage drill

Jonathan Cyprien, FIU Saf/UConn CB Dwayne Gratz 2 best DBs in drills. Cyprien physical,closing in run drills. Gratz quick feet,solid press

Eric Fisher controlling DEs well, but even doing so sliding and adjusting laterally both ways. He's comfortable/ Very good on either side

DE Alex Okafor showing burst initially, sink and bend on outside. Looked maybe the best among DEs

None of the North QBs have done much to say one is better than another. Which isn't unexpected.

Shane Hallam:

Chargers scout chatting with Ziggy Ansah and Andre Ellington

Seahawks scout set up an interview with John jenkins

Matt Miller:

Arthur Brown a scratch due to injury, but still here interviewing and observing.

Josh Norris:

Brian Winters is plain nasty. And I love it.

Tony Pauline:

Stepfan Taylor/RB/Stanford having a sensational practice.

New York Jets all over Stepfan Taylor/RB/Stanford.

Michael Schottey:

Denard struggling catching the ball...fighting everything, footwork is all over the place

All three North QBs are struggling today. Lots of balls behind, lots of fluttering, lots of miscommunication

Michael Schottey:

Rutgers LB Khaseem Greene looks outstanding in coverage

Marquise Goodwin (WR Texas) having a good day catching the ball...looks more natural than I expected

One moment, Glennon has ridiculous velocity on outside throws, the next he's embarrassing himself

Dysert struggling in 7 on 7 INT

Shawn Zobel:

I can say without hesitation that I wouldn't draft Ryan Nassib or Mike Glennon in the first round. Both are average QB prospects

Texas DE Alex Okafor had a big day today. Most complete defensive end on the North roster

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Bowen:

USC safety TJ McDonald has some size in the deep middle of the field. Want to see his technique & speed this week in full pads.

--------------------------------------

Eric Galko:

Alex Okafor making a case for the player of the day today. The DE has adjusted well as a rusher, attacking quickly off snap

Most talented DE here in my eyes is Illinois's Michael Buchanan. Active hands, aggressiveness/ability to play wide/adjust inside vs run

Nassib and Glennon going through some QB drills. Glennon's hips to adjust field concerning a bit. Doesn't fluidly adjust away from pocket

Comparing their velocity, I don't see really any noticable difference in Nassib/Glennon arm strength in variety of drops/rollouts/platforms

Shane Hallam:

Chargers scout talking with TE Mychal Rivera

Saw #Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave talking to OT Oday Aboushi thoroughly after the South practice

Also saw the #Vikings chatting with RB Andre Ellington, Rb Stepfan Taylor, and S Baccari Rambo

Ziggy Ansah got chatted up by the #Chargers and #Jaguars after the South practice

Saw a #Bengals rep giving some tips to OL Garrett Gilkey after practice as well

Falcons scout went straight to Baylor WR Terrence Williams as well

Ryan Lownes:

Alex Okafor is the type of player that would standout at this event. A "complete" player with size, physicality, burst, and a good motor

There's not a whole hell of a lot of variety to Okafor's game and he's not as flashy as others, but rotating at DT and pushing the pocket.

------------------------------------

Jeff Risdon:

Tallying WTF throws by #North QBs: Dysert 5, Glennon 4, Nassib 3. All inconsistent...as expected unfortunately

Shawn Zobel:

Denard Robinson looks far from being a natural at fielding kicks

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

All of the QBs were underwhelming, Wilson looked the least bad in my opinion. Only caught the end of North practice though.

Jene Bramel:

Still don't think Khaseem Greene is next Lavonte David, but was running easily w/ backs in coverage, had at least an extra gear in reserve.

Love downhill play of Kevin Reddick b/t tackles - mirrors what you see on tape - but aggressive athleticism didn't translate in coverage.

And I very much doubt I'll be falling in love w/ a North LB as I did w/ Bobby Wagner and Demario Davis last year

Was disappointed w/ Margus Hunt. Looked the part pre-snap, flashed quick footwork in drills, but was robotic / ineffective in live action

Jordan Hill tired as practice went on, but was impressive in footwork, one-on-one drills. Looked better than Kawann Short for much of day

Didn’t watch DBs closely but was hard not to hear Jonathan Cyprien hit (and talk). Looking forward to watching him more closely tomorrow.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Galko:

Nassib looked more fluid,quicker feet,more comfortable w/equal velocity to Glennon as they did rollouts/dropbacks today

RB Rouse looked as quick as expected in RB vs. LB coverage drills today. Made John Simon, other LBs look bad

Keep in Mind: It's hard evaluating QBs on accuracy/timing in all-star games, ESPECIALLY Day 1. I look for technique, velocity, progressions.

Cecil Lammey:

Nick Kasa: Showed good athleticism when coming back to the ball & running after the catch. squares shoulders to LOS, adjusts to poor passes

On deep passes Markus Wheaton showed great ball tracking ability and was able to bring in passes over his shoulder in stride

Josh Liskiewitz:

I thought it was a rough day for 3 Alabama prospects at the South practice today...

TE Michael Williams really struggled getting off the press today and was very sluggish and stiff in his movements

LB Nico Johnson struggled during individual drills as he had problems with gettimg his feet crossed up and losing his balance

SAF Robert Lester may need to convert to LB - he was stiff in his pedal and transition, and displayed no discernible burst moving forward

On the positive side, Rice TE Vance McDonald blew me away with his movement skills...

He made quick, precise cuts and was also able to use his size and strength to create separation against the jam.

Tony Pauline:

Josh Boyd/DL/Miss State added to Senior Bowl roster and will be practicing tomorrow. Assume he's replacing Montori Hughes on South.

Curt Popejoy:

Denard Robinson sounds very positive about position change. #nfl will like that.

Damond Talbot:

Breaking News: Alec Lemon has been invited to the Senior bowl he is now en route congrats #cuse

Sideline View:

At South practice.... not much to get excited about from the QB position. Rice TE Vance McDonald was very impressive

John Jenkins just bullrushed everything and anything in his way as expected. Kentucky G Larry Warford will not be bull-rushed though. Strong

Georgia safety Bakari Rambo looked slow. So average in coverage that I almost wonder if he's hurt

I'm not a big fan of Dallas Thomas as he doesn't bend well enough to keep leverage, but his technique was rock-solid in one-on-one drills