• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Senior Bowl notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you think Short would be a good NT?

I liked him more when he was a junior than this past year but I still like him and he'd be on my list of options/hopefuls for the 49ers.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Overheard several scouts talking about Powell as a surefire "top 100" guy.

---------------------------------

Jinx Allessio:

Desmond Trufant told me Markus Wheaton is the best comp. here and he has previous battles with him. He also said Wheaton was calling him out

Aaron Aloysius:

Previously thought Datone Jones would have to move inside on pass downs. Registering wins vs Eric Fisher has me thinking otherwise.

Alex Brown:

Nassib and Glennon clearly top two QBs for north. Zac Dysert really pressed today, disconnected from lower half and inconsistent w/release

Glennon very impressive today in vertical game. Arm talent really apparent, placement and anticipation there as well. Disliked his reset fw

Andrew Garda:

Glennon has no arc to most of his passes. Throws downwards. Has some wobble to his passes too #seniorbowl

Dysert looks like he has some power but a lot of wobble passes. #seniorbowl

Shane Hallam:

Jets scout talking to QB Dysert after practice

Redskins scout talking to TE Nick Kasa

Saints scout chatted with will Davis and tj McDonald after practice

Eagles scouts talking with S TJ McDonald after practice

Kansas City chiefs scout also talked to Zac Dysert after practice

Lots of teams talked with WR Markus Wheaton after practice including Vikings Ravens and Cardinals

Saints and Chargers talked with WR Aaron Mellette after practice

Jets scout also talked with Marshall WR Aaron Dobson after practice

Colts scout talked to LB Arthur Brown after practice today

Heard #Texans and #Redskins could be very interested in Missouri LB Zaviar Gooden

Cecil Lammey:

Day Two North practice impressions: Syracuse QB Nassib showed well throwing on the run, easily steps up to evade pressure

Mike Glennon plenty of zip but no arc on his throws, WRs have trouble gathering in these passes which always come in angled down #SeniorBowl

Thomas Melton:

Locke the lefty punter on the North has an impressive leg. He was consistently at 4.8-5 seconds of hang time into the wind today #Ucla

My top OL today were Eric Fisher #CentralMichigan Hugh Thornton #Illinois and Pugh #Syracuse #seniorbowl

Matt Miller:

#Colts scouts all over Arthur Brown today

Most impressed by Eric Fisher, Jonathan Cyprien and Kenjon Barner today. Haven't seen LBs or WRs yet

----------------------------------

Josh Norris:

I've been critical of him in the past, but Kawann had a very good day of practice during one on ones. Definitely talent there

Was also very impressed with late addition Ty Powell. Didn't look a step behind, held the edge vs run, won on majority of 1on1s vs RBs/TEs

I still like Will Davis quite a bit in the top-100, but he hasn't looked good in one on ones. Only around 10% of evaluation

It appears I've said this a lot this year regarding the RB class, but Johnathan Franklin is so much better this year than last.

But, that might also mean I had a poor evaluation on him prior to the 2012 season. Works both ways.

-----------------------------------

Dave Richard:

After talking w/ a number of people incl a scout, the North RBs rank: Franklin, then Barner, then Rouse. Lots of positive talk on Franklin.

--------------------------------

Michael Tanier:

Nassib, whose family is Eagles season ticket holders, met with Howie Roseman last night, said the usual nice things about playing for Eagles

Shawn Zobel:

Just talked to Ty Powell's position coach at Harding. This kid is going to be the story of this year's draft

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fluker doesn't look 355 here

12149140-large.jpg

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Q Patton picking up right where he left off yesterday. #SeniorBowl

Eric Galko:

Just saw S.Miss LB Jamie Collins not in pads today. Unsure what injury is

Nico Johnson of Alabama has the least explosion of the South LBs, but Chase Thomas isn't far behind. Concerning for the edge LB Thomas

Q.Patton/T.Williams in short area step/route drills is night/day. Patton sinks b/t breaks, decisive steps. Williams high, wasted motion

LaTech WR Quinton Patton can be described in three words: Polished, decisive, consistent. He should be young version of Greg Jennings in NFL

Shane Hallam:

Florida state kicker Dustin Hopkins kicking. Ball pops off of his foot. Draftable kicker easily. May be best of this class

Ryan Lownes:

Next QB I'll be putting under my microscope will be #NCState Mike Glennon, who was the consensus top QB on the North squad today.

Thomas Melton:

Jamie Collins is in sweatpants for the South

Looks like Jordan Mills from Louisiana Tech is out there today. #78, listed at 6'6" 315

Ryan Swope is in sweats today as well #TexasA&M #seniorbowl

I'm sure I'm late on this but I don't see Andre Ellington either #Clemson #seniorbowl

David Newbury:

I talked to Fisher last night. He weighed 240 when he enrolled and committed to slowly putting on good weight. Mission accomplished

Josh Norris:

After watching Armanti struggle to make the transition to receiver, Denard looks much more natural. Effortless mover, already separating.

Dobson is a vertical WR IMO, haven’t seen much else before or during this week. Easily prefer Patton and Wheaton.

Tony Pauline:

Josh Boyd/Mississippi State looking good in early going of South practice.

Michael Schottey:

Watford (OL Kentucky) moves awfully quick for a guy who looked so sloppy yesterday

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two CBs I really like - Poyer and Trufant - are doing really well so far. Poyer is one of my favorites for us in the 1st.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Two CBs I really like - Poyer and Trufant - are doing really well so far. Poyer is one of my favorites for us in the 1st.

Have you watched practices? I haven't been able to, but I haven't seen many positive (or any?) comments about Poyer. Definitely some about Trufant, though.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you watched practices? I haven't been able to, but I haven't seen many positive (or any?) comments about Poyer. Definitely some about Trufant, though.

I've been watching it on and off since the morning.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Landry Jones throwing high on anything that isnt a check down for the second straight day. #SeniorBowl

EJ Manuel throwing low for second day in a row. Has a shoulder drop that has become prominent. #SeniorBowl

Tyler Wilson only qb making window throws. Hit the slant Jones and Manuel couldnt. #SeniorBowl

Ej Manuel overthrowing the deep ball in 1v1 always bad sign,Usually means qb success hinged on track star wrs beating their man. #SeniorBowl

Manuel taking too long in 7v7. He looks the part off the field, just doesnt on. Major project. #SeniorBowl

Wilson comes in for Manuel, noticeable change in pass quality

Wilson effortless down the seam. #hogs fans will be familiar w/ that route to Gragg #SeniorBowl

Wilson: 0 incompletions on 7v7, Manuel had 6 # SeniorBowl

Landry Jones starts off low to Cobi Hamilton, Hamilton digs it out

Landy Jones high on sideline/out. #SeniorBowl

Jones off target to T Williams sideline comeback #SeniorBowl

Landry Jones 3 good throws (1 dropped) 3 bad thus far 7v7

Draft Bible:

Harvard tight end KYLE JUSZCZYK flashing his blocking skills in one-on-one drills, stonewalling Utah State defensive back WILL DAVIS #SRbowl

One player who looks good from everything we've seen is 5'8 Texas wide out MARQUISE GOODWIN. Stock rising, NFL Draft buzz growing louder!

Adam Caplan:

Rice TE Vance McDonald with play of the day. Caught ball over opposite shoulder for deep TD.

Eric Galko:

LandryJones with a deep fade to "The General" Quinton Patton. First good deep ball for Landry.

Terrence Williams really struggling with deep slants, comebacks, really anything but vertical. Then again, so did Josh Gordon. #Baylor

Tyler Wilson's ball placement looking good in curl/hitch/dig routes, but throws that require touch, at levels or vertical, he's struggling.

Tyler Wilson impressive in 7v7 reps. Progressed through reads well, evaluated coverage post-snap well. All quick or in-breaking check downs.

Rebecca Haarlow:

BW Webb out of William & Mary 2 for two in WR/DB drills against bigger backs. #StockRising

Shane Hallam:

Landry Jones keeps sailing out routes. Not good

Josh Norris:

Terrance Williams is really struggling to separate. First on comeback vs Lester, second on skinny post vs Webb.

Tony Pauline:

Stepfan Taylor/Stanford once again looking outstanding at the Senior Bowl

Zeke Ansah/BYU: lot of flashes little consistency.

Montori Hughes/Tenn-Martin on a tear today

Tyler Wilson/QB very good today

Michael Schottey:

Johnson (OL Oklahoma) has his hands full a bit this afternoon. Winning most of his battles, but struggling a bit

Really good play for Johnson in 1 on 1 pass pro...mirrored Edwards well, sticky hands

-------------------------------

Taber Small:

CB McFadden from San Diego St does a good job of staying with WRs. Needs to learn how to keep his hands off of them after 5 yds. #SeniorBowl

Michael Tanier:

John Jenkins and Josh Boyd looking strong in south line drills

Everett Dawkins just plowed a blocker in a pass rush drill #seniorbowl

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Just like yesterday, Tyler Wilson clearly best qb on south. #SeniorBowl

Ej manueal off target to a wide open Cobi Hamilton. 11v11

Manuel low and off target on pressured roll out. #SeniorBowl

Fumbled exchange, Wilson recovers, rolls out, strike to WR

Wilson throws high on curl, complete. Wr stripped

Non QB note: loving #Florida HB Mike Gillislee's ability to cut on a dime. #SeniorBowl

Wilson threw it late, picked off. McFadden SD State 3rd INT in 2 days. #SeniorBowl

Just like yesterday Tyler Wilson bounces back w/ big time throw right after INT. #SeniorBowl

Tyler Wilson to Cobi Hamilton, strike on the square in. #SeniorBowl

Florida HB Gillislee again with a nifty move

Matt Bowen:

Size will be a question for CB Robert Alford (SE Louisiana), but he competes, has quick feet & can close on the ball. #SeniorBowl

DT John Jenkins (UGA): Showcased strength & power in 1-on-1s. Straight bull rush to win matchups.

Charlie Campbell:

Stephan Taylor and Mike Gillislee are having great practices for the south. Tyler Wilson and Ezekiel Ansah are playing well also.

Eric Galko:

Easy to "progress" in the 7v7 work for QBs, as shorter/TE routes are always open. Wouldn't be in game. Landry passing up deeper, open throws

Tyler Wilson's ball fluttered on the deep comeback.Lead to a tough catch immediate out of break for Tavarres King. One issue with loose ball

EJ Manuel with tight, well-placed passes on the outside the last few reps. Hot/cold QB here and in 2012.

Rebecca Haarlow:

Some considered OL Brian Schwenke of Cal underrated, today at North @seniorbowl prak, he's dominant in 1on1s. @nflnetwork #PathToTheDraft

Shane Hallam:

Lane Johnson At both Rt and Lt showing off top feet and hand placement

John Jenkins put a nasty spin move on Garrett Gilkey at one point today

Ziggy Ansah got the best of Oday and Aboushi but both have obvious talent

Larry Warford didn't hold up in the pit blocking for run but great movement for pass

Leon McFadden strips King. Ansah recovers

Great hole made by Gilkey. Gillislee identifies and gets through quick

EJ Manuel improved today but still overthrowing a ton

Tyler Wilson with a beautiful in route under pressure to Pattton

Tony Pauline:

Again: Montori Hughes/Tenn-Martin. Terrific quickness and power. Bullrushing opponents off the line.

Another dominant day for Larry Warford/G/Kentucky.

------------------------------------

Michael Schottey:

Some nice looks at Stepfan Taylor late in practice ...moves well laterally at top speed

Haven't been watching QBs exclusively, but Manuel has looked OK when I've seen him. Not great, but not mindblowingly bad like yesterday

Wilson (QB Arkansas) has been a little gunshy to go outside the hashes today, but making some pretty (and deep) throws late

Michael Tanier:

Gillissee, RB Florida, looks real good running inside. Sorry about the spelling #SeniorBowl

Gillisee looks like Doug Martin looked last year #SeniorBowl

Shawn Zobel:

Impressed with Tyler Wilson today. He's the best QB in attendance this week.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Around the League:

Mayock likes Cal center prospect Brian Schwenke "a lot"

-----------------------

Jene Bramel:

Not that I don't like Ansah, but don't see enough explosiveness here to buy the top ten pick some have suggested he may be

What did intrigue me was small school DT Montori Hughes. Athletic, powerful and loudly confident. Looking forward to seeing more.

-------------------------------------

Eric Galko:

Quinton Patton looked the best in every drill.

Hands down, best player for me today was WR Quinton Patton. We had a pre-Senior Bowl 1st round grade on him. Hasn't disappointed so far.

CB Leon McFadden also impressive today, from SanDiegoSt. Mentioned him on twitter late in practice, but he impressed all day.

Shane Hallam:

Manuel and broncos scout talk

Colts scout and TE Vance McDonald talk

Redskins chatted with CB Robert Alford after practice

Saints talked to Leon McFadden after practice. Asked him if he was married. He said no and made clear he has no kids

49ers member talked to JC Tretter after practie

Landry Jones and Chargers scout talk

Michael Tanier:

EJ Manuel met with Chip Kelly last night. Kelly recruited him, EJ says he is "very familiar" with Kelly #SeniorBowl

Manuel did not choose Oregon because it was "too far" from his Virginia home.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andrew Garcia:

Swope just told me he felt a twinge in his Achilles so they shut him down today #seniorbowl

Shane Hallam:

Rams chatted up Xavier Nixon and Ziggy Ansah after practice today

Saints were talking to Jamie Collins for awhile after practice too

Bart Hubbuch:

Tyler Wilson tells me he met with the Bills and Cowboys last night and just spoke with the Jets to schedule an interview tonight.

Sheil Kapadia:

Eagles meet with several players here. One of them was Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson. Had sit-down with team last night.

Geoff Mosher:

Fla State QB EJ Manuel says he met with Chip Kelly last night, had a great conversation.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

QB notes typed up, will be up soon. Tyler Wilson and Mike Glennon are the top 2 QBs here. Manuel improved today, but still well behind.

Nassib looked good throwing on the run, and Dysert and Landry Jones have a lot of catching up to do. #SeniorBowl

Non QB guys that jumped out at me today: Ty Powell (North, Harding), Q Patton (South, La Tech), Mike Gillislee (South, Florida)

Shane Hallam:

Jets talked briefly to Terrence Williams after practice today

Daniel Jeremiah:

Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson hasn't disappointed this week. 2 impressive practices, taking snaps at both LT and RT.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Norris:

I think people expecting a pure edge rusher in Ansah will be disappointed. I would be. He's not that type of player.

Ansah is a length, strength, agile, great closing speed prospect with high motor. He does get tired, technique is fluid. Where does he win?

I'll likely agree with a ton of negatives people list with Ansah. He certainly has them. That won't change my top-ten projection, though.

It is just one detail, but I think Ansah's closing speed after generating some space might be the best in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin Allbright:

Ziggy Ansah came in at 6'5 1/4 and 274 pounds

Charlie Campbell:

SMU DE Margus Hunt. Has met with TB, SF, Mia, Chi, NO, Jax, Hou and GB

Shane Hallam:

Montori Hughes came in at 6'4 7/8 and 328 pounds

Ty Powell at 6'2 3/8 and 245 pounds

Matt Miller:

One guy who didn't make my notes today is Jordan Poyer. Really impressed, but only saw bits and pieces. Focusing tomorrow on him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shane Hallam:

Alec Lemon 6'0 7/8 and 200 pounds

Lavar Edwards at 6'3 3\4 and 272 pounds

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Norris:

May be alone here, but Ansah's biggest issue might be how fatigued he gets. Noticeable difference in his game, especially pass rushing.

Early on at BYU he said in an intvw he couldn't even make it thru 1 drill

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Joe Everett:

Coach Dennis Allen on CB Desmond Trufant, #Washington; "You have to have an attitude and a swagger and he definitely has that." #SeniorBowl

Shane Hallam:

Dennis Allen says Denard Robinson will be playing "Athlete" this week

Kyle Long had flulike symptoms. Should be back tomorrow

Daniel Jeremiah:

> Rice TE Vance McDonald had some drops but he's most talented.

Scott Wright:

UConn OLB Sio Moore and South Alabama ILB Jake Johnson will be added to the Senior Bowl roster as injury replacements.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Zac Jackson:

John Simon officially out of Senior Bowl - injury related, but injury not disclosed.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Liskiewitz:

After struggling with his accuracy yesterday I felt Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson set himself apart from the other two South QBs today.

He displayed excellent accuracy, zip & timing on his throws & seemed to have a stronger command of the offense today.

Also, I assume its already been mentioned by other draft analysts in attendance this afternoon, but LaTech WR Quinton Patton was fantastic.

He was quick & explosive on his breaks & used his hands well to keep defenders off his frame & create separation downfield. #Patton #LaTech

Steve Muench:

Thought UNC LB Reddick and FSU LB Williams strong against run but in different ways Reddick instinctive and slips blocks well

Williams more of a hammer that can hold up in phone booth.

Josh Norris:

Sitting in stands with @dpbrugler during practices, we both believe Quinton Patton is the top senior WR (not including Tavon, diff category)

Russell Shepard Jr.:

Just got invited to the @seniorbowl !!!! Man GOD is good !!!

Kevin Weidl:

Kept a close eye on DBs and WRs today. La Tech WR Quinton Patton killed it out there. Quick, sudden and strong in traffic. Easy separation