• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Selig Out... Rose in ??

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To tell everyone the truth outside of going to a game for free or work etc... I hate baseball.. but...... bottom fukin line is I am even more sick and tired of baseball cheaters.... selig gives them all pretty much 50 game suspensions and then they still get to be in the record books and on the ballot for the HOF even though they wont get voted in... Pete Rose was in the hof for his stuff as a player not his fuk ups as a coach. Good ban him from baseball but are u really trying to tell me Pete Rose as a player is not worthy but Bonds and all the rest of the cheaters at least get a chance at the hall... now in 2015 Selig is finally out... Give Rose what the man deserves.... PERIOD... meant to misspell cuss words because didnt know if site allowed it...

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always said Pete Rose deserved to be in the HOF. The issue is the nature of his crime. It is the cardinal sin of baseball and he knew that when he did it. Yet still, gambling is an illness much like many other compulsory issues that people face everyday. I believe that Pete should go into the hall based on his on field performances and determination as a player. You just don't see that kind of player today in this age of multi million dollar salaries. If Pete has proven that through counseling and confession that he is a better person today, let him in. It would be a great day for baseball and put a little fire into an otherwise mundane game. He sure as hell is no lesser deserving than the PED cheaters like Bonds and A-Roid.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,703.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Selig will be missed. he brought alot to this game including the wild card era

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Selig will be missed. he brought alot to this game including the wild card era

Sleazig did more to harm the game than he did to help it. I'll be glad when he joins his cousin, David Stern, in retirement.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always said Pete Rose deserved to be in the HOF. The issue is the nature of his crime. It is the cardinal sin of baseball and he knew that when he did it. Yet still, gambling is an illness much like many other compulsory issues that people face everyday. I believe that Pete should go into the hall based on his on field performances and determination as a player. You just don't see that kind of player today in this age of multi million dollar salaries. If Pete has proven that through counseling and confession that he is a better person today, let him in. It would be a great day for baseball and put a little fire into an otherwise mundane game. He sure as hell is no lesser deserving than the PED cheaters like Bonds and A-Roid.

Yeah "confession" the dude lied about it for a long time.... But I do think he should be in the Hall if the Likes of Bonds and other cheaters get in.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, are STILL lyibg, and at leadt theyre on the HOF ballot. ..and Rickey Henderson too for all we know, and he's already in the HOF. I Agree Rose should have the opportunity to get on the ballot and voters could decide.

No bigger Rose fan than me, but honestly there are differences in the two crimes. There is a sign in every pro clubhouse telling players the penalties for gambling on baseball. Most PEDs weren't even banned from baseball until long after they were being used.

Gambling bans intend on keeping the game from being taken advantage of by gamblers that might fix a game for THIER personal gain( bookies). PEDs intended on giving players an advantage ( or as many claim just to be competitive with everyone else doing them) for their personal gain( bigger contracts). it's cheating, but neither team had a theoretical unfair advantage especially if both pitcher and opposing hitter were roiders, I suppose.

Rose had the disadvantage of prior presidence- the Black Sox scandal. It was easier to cite the ban,and ban him, than look at and explain that Rose never bet on his team to lose. Unfortunately, he didnt bet on them to win every game either. Commissioners are politicians. They don't always seek right, they seek safe and profitable....and IMO, THERE is the real problem with PEDs- MLB believed PEDs made MLB more profitable- Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, "saved" baseball with their (and others) records assaults...it's a statement written a thousand times, authored by among others, Bud Selig. He fought hard to look the other way on PEDs until the Feds got involved and threatened his job, and to expose the whole scam.

MLB is being singled out unfairly on PEDs, as every sport has them, maybe less in baseball than the NFL. But, they have always been first. Baseball integration started the civil rights movement here. The bottom line is, it is hypocritical and sanctimony to cite baseballs " integrity" for punishing Rose, or A-Rod for that matter, when owners and Commissioners participate in obstructing the truth, to cover their own asses.

There is something to be said for consistency in administrating law or justice. PED users are on the HOF ballot, Rose isn't, and Bud Selig probably will be. No justice there.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole thing just makes me wanna puke !!! ROSE DID NOT CHEAT OR GAMBLE ON BASEBALL AS A MOTHER FING PLAYER... PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD... He was in the hall as a f..ing PLAYER not a damn coach. It is all a scam.... Put him on the damn ballot and let the voters choose not some dumbass in the big seat... When many of the Hall of Famers are saying to let him in, that says something !!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologists who support Selig say he saved the game because chicks like the long ball.

Selig did nothing to make the game less dull. It still takes 8 minutes for only single at-bat to be decided, and that's against the .221 hitters. If there's a guy on base, it takes 13 minutes.

That aside, I can't blame Selig much for the PED's as much as I can blame him for not stomping them out. Even the guys who continue to get caught are doing much the same thing that Rose did -- broke the rule despite the big sign over the front door telling them what the rule was.

Rose knew gambling was a ban-able offense and he decided to evaluate the policy on his own. He should be punished for being stupid -- and he has been. Keeping him out of the Hall now borders on intentional cruelty. Like the big red "A" in the book "The Scarlet Letter."

Selig is sitting on a corn cob, not endeavoring to make the Commissioner's Office useful. He is told by the owners to make sure the profits are up. Nothing more.

Let's face it: The original commissioner, Landis, did the same thing when he wrecked the White Sox so that the Yankees could assume their rightful role at the top of the heap. That was intentional. That was cruel and mean. But he's been revered ever since. The man was a fucking asshole.

The office has been run by a series of fucking assholes ever since.

MLB owners couldn't care less if Pete Rose is in the Hall of Fame. The profits are the profits. Selig is being an asshole for continuing a policy established by an asshole and all other subsequent assholes in the office, including Kuhn, Giamatti and Vincent. Of the bunch, Kuhn was probably the biggest asshole.

Give Rose his 15 minutes of glory before he dies.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JOHNU

TRUE ALL OF THAT.... FACT !!

Betting on baseball will get you banned for life, but cheating the sport, the fans, the other teams, profits, and huge contracts will get u suspended for 50 games, and then u can even do it twice and u get an AROD FUCK HOLE 213 game suspension BUT WILL STILL BE ABLE TO PLAY AFTER THAT AND WILL STILL BE ABLE TO BE ON THE BALLOT, even though he will never get in,,, he will have the CHANCE to get in... Complete fucking joke

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just getting warmed up.... This is Von Clausewitz shit.. Total fucking war.. I am going to pull the whole thing down.. I am going to pull the whole fucking diseased temple down on your head.... Its going to be biblical.

I think that says it all

From Law Abiding Citizen

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What bothers me the most about Selig is that he turned a blind eye to steroids for years during the 90s and then all of a sudden he did an about-face when the truth about Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, and others started coming out. Then he pursued a policy of criticizing, investigating, and humiliating these players who used substances that weren't specifically banned at the time of use. Yet he had no problem with them when they were bringing asses to the seats to watch the home run become the new single. Subsequently, he pursued a plan of action that was far too lenient on roiders who used AFTER steroids were deemed illegal. Combine that with the Ryan Braun controversy and the A-Rod controversy, and Selig's handling of steroids has been a complete mess.

I honestly can't think of someone who has done more to harm baseball in the past 20 years than Bud Selig.

As for Rose, he gambled on baseball which was in violation of a CLEARLY defined rule. I think that's what separates him from the steroid users who are eligible. Whether or not he deserves this fate when compared to steroid users is irrelevant. Now, you can certainly make the argument that it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Nice Guys. Ty Cobb was a racist, Ted Williams was notoriously prickly with the media, John McGraw was one of the most ill-tempered managers of all time, Gaylord Perry threw illegal pitches, a bunch of HOFers who played in the 70s were probably on some sort of amphetamine, the list goes on and on. Rose, based on his accomplishments as a player, certainly deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame. By all accounts Rose was and is not a very nice guy, and that should NOT matter at all. However, it becomes a little more gray when you factor in the gambling, simply because it was in clear violation of a rule (albeit a flawed one). It's a tough one, and I don't think you can blame Selig too much, though you could certainly argue that he comes across as self-righteous and hypocritical.

Moving forward, I think proven steroid users SHOULD be left off the ballot because the rule is now in the book that PEDs are illegal. If baseball ever wants to get serious about the steroid issue, it should be a one-and-done policy. You get caught, you're banned. I think steroids will always be part of the game until the policy on them becomes much more rigid.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole thing just makes me wanna puke !!! ROSE DID NOT CHEAT OR GAMBLE ON BASEBALL AS A MOTHER FING PLAYER... PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD... He was in the hall as a f..ing PLAYER not a damn coach. It is all a scam.... Put him on the damn ballot and let the voters choose not some dumbass in the big seat... When many of the Hall of Famers are saying to let him in, that says something !!

So does that mean he did nothing wrong then?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What bothers me the most about Selig is that he turned a blind eye to steroids for years during the 90s and then all of a sudden he did an about-face when the truth about Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, and others started coming out.

Not that it makes it right but it "saved" baseball, hence turning the other cheek

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah "confession" the dude lied about it for a long time.... But I do think he should be in the Hall if the Likes of Bonds and other cheaters get in.

there's already cheaters in the HOF. Gaylord Perry's in there.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does that mean he did nothing wrong then?

what I am trying to say is YES he indeed DID NOTHING WRONG as a PLAYER and that was what he was put in the hof for right?? Then as a coach he fucked up... so if he was put in as a COACH then yes pull him. But his big fuck up was AFTER his incredible career. That is my point, we all dont have to agree, hell I hate fricken baseball but thought this thread was a good one...

My point is OJ Simpson is still in the HOF even though Murder, Kidnapping, extorsion etc.. are all illegal, even though he got off on Murder but was found guilty in the civil trial and then wrote a book about it... But even scratch that out, and put in kidnapping.... He is still in the HOF because it was AFTER his playing days.. U see the two are seperate issues. Players and Coaches... if he was enshrined as a coach than I would be all about dropping his ass. But he did nothing wrong to be the all time hit king !! That is all I am trying to say, take it or leave it:noidea:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The commissioners mission statement is to act "in the best interests of baseball". I think Mr. Selig has acted in the best interests of himself, more than baseball. The HOF is a big part of baseball, and PEDs has made those benchmarks a mockery. Fans are paying more than ever, a direct result of the massively higher contracts justified by the PED numbers put up by cheaters and those that covered for them. Downstream impacts effect high school kids without the maturity or knowledge of the downstream implications. It's funded an new illegal drug trafficking and distribution network, and tied up millions in Federal Investigation and litigation.

It's helped discredit the game. No one will ever be sure it's on the level again...and the same people who let it happen on their watch are still in power. Exxon, BP, and the US State Department fired people in charge that never turned a valve or let down standards that caused failures. It's called accountability. Baseball has only farted on accountability.

Baseball needs a commissioner without ties to ownership or players, with the personal integrity and credibility to do the right things. Selig hasn't qualified in those areas. Lifetime bans don't solve the problem, especially if none are issued for PED offenders.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I am trying to say is YES he indeed DID NOTHING WRONG as a PLAYER and that was what he was put in the hof for right?? Then as a coach he fucked up... so if he was put in as a COACH then yes pull him. But his big fuck up was AFTER his incredible career. That is my point, we all dont have to agree, hell I hate fricken baseball but thought this thread was a good one...

he was still ON a TEAM regardless of whether or not he was a player or coach.... Ban was legit...He beat on baseball WHILE BEING INVOLVED with baseball.... As a result there was a ban.... Now will it be lifted that Selig is gone? who knows.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What bothers me the most about Selig is that he turned a blind eye to steroids for years during the 90s and then all of a sudden he did an about-face when the truth about Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, and others started coming out.

Not that it makes it right but it "saved" baseball, hence turning the other cheek

Well, it saved baseball for the Yuppies who spend $400 for seats and spend the game chasing their kids to the concession stands or reacting only when the "everybody clap your hand" guy clip comes on. It did NOT save it for people like me who were led to believe we had this new generation of incredibly great players that I believed I would never see the likes of again. Turns out, they lied to me and a lot of people who remember Mays and Mantle and Musial and Marichal and ... dunno, some other guy whose name starts with M. Maris, maybe.

Selig had no reason to deal with PED's when the game was recovering from the 1994 strike. He probably didn't even understand it and part of it was, yeah it wasn't illegal.

Now that it has gotten scar tissue and all is well, he can throw these guys under the bus. He still hasn't really created any issues for the big PED's users of the 1990. Public opinion won that war.

The newest PED's guys ARE being set up to fail but I notice that none of them seem to have trouble getting work. Marlon Byrd will scoot right into the playoffs without a word being said in Pittsburgh.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal now, after a million years, is that the championships have been decided, all of the players are retired ... Rose has paid his dues. As for him being a true Hall of Fame guy, yeah.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Selig will be in the Hall one day. Thats what eats at me. Hell, freakin Nixon lost his job because of covering up less shady activity than Selig presided over. Selig in the HOF would be like making John Gotti a Saint.

Ya think Bonds at 185 lbs would hit as many HR as Aaron hit at 185 ? Binds hit more HR AFTER 35 at 235 lbs, than he hit from 19-34. Thats impossible without roids. Subtract half those and Bonds is still a Famer, but way down the list. A-Roid without Roids would show Ripken HR numbers at best, not Williams, Mays, Aaron numbers. What these guys did best was shit on a century of history, and turn a $8 ticket into a $54 one, and a dollar beer into an $8 beer...and a $100K player into a $100M contract. They're worse than prostitutes, because a hooker will stop fucking you after you're dead. These guys stats and money will live longer than any of us. Selig is still shoveling bullshit to cover the truth, but he can't hide the smell. He's a pimp, not a commissioner.