• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC FANS

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not a fan of the NCAA and you are a fan of an SEC team then check out this video.

It's a really interesting concept. If you read between the lines college athletes are legally allowed to profit off of their likeness. Mark Emmert will not be seeing any of the money that comes from t shirts with his likeness. I think it shows the backasswardness of the NCAA.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the idea. Very interesting concept.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not a fan of the NCAA and you are a fan of an SEC team then check out this video.

It's a really interesting concept. If you read between the lines college athletes are legally allowed to profit off of their likeness. Mark Emmert will not be seeing any of the money that comes from t shirts with his likeness. I think it shows the backasswardness of the NCAA.

Texas A&M made about $50,000 total off Johnny Manziel jerseys.

This guy is a dumbass.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This guy is a dumbass.

I don't think you get it. Instead of Texas A&M getting the money, in this scenario, Johnny Manziel would've been the one making the money. So, if you spend $25 on a t-shirt with Derrick Henry's likeness he gets ALL of the profit. If you buy a mark emmert shirt mark emmert sees absolutely nothing.

Similar to how Johnny Manziel made nothing and Texas A&M did. The guy isn't trying to make money. He's trying to show how stupid the NCAA policy is.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This guy is a dumbass.
At least he is trying to give the money to the players. Probably will flop but still.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he is trying to give the money to the players. Probably will flop but still.

I will be surprised if a single dime makes it to a player, and what does make it would be a fraction of what is spent.

Not to mention, the promise of money at any point is the same as giving money while they are playing. Otherwise, schools would just use it as a loophole to pay players.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be surprised if a single dime makes it to a player, and what does make it would be a fraction of what is spent.

Not to mention, the promise of money at any point is the same as giving money while they are playing. Otherwise, schools would just use it as a loophole to pay players.

Did you watch the video? Or did it just go right over your head? What makes it to the player is $12.50 for every shirt purchased. And that's because the shirt is $25 and cost $12.50 to make. And, since you're a bama fan and the rest of the video seemed to go over your head I'll do the math. That's a $12.50 PROFIT, which will ALL be going to the player.

However, he never specifically said it's going to the player. It's implied. But if you don't want to watch that's cool. He's giving it to "deserving players" and he's going to track and post on social media how much money each player is making off the shirts. He's "charitable" and the only money that is going to his bank account is money from the Mark Emmert shirts.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you get it. Instead of Texas A&M getting the money, in this scenario, Johnny Manziel would've been the one making the money. So, if you spend $25 on a t-shirt with Derrick Henry's likeness he gets ALL of the profit. If you buy a mark emmert shirt mark emmert sees absolutely nothing.

Similar to how Johnny Manziel made nothing and Texas A&M did. The guy isn't trying to make money. He's trying to show how stupid the NCAA policy is.

The notion that Johnny Manziel was in any way ripped off by Texas A&M because they sold his jersey is a joke.

The kid gets his fame because he is wearing that jersey, not the other way around. And the jersey sales don't even come close to offsetting the costs of the scholarship and other things the schools do for the athletes.

All it shows is that as long as people blame money for something, everyone else will assume it's true, assume it's evil and wrong. Everyone's the victim getting ripped off by some institution.

The NCAA policy isn't stupid. The best thing that has happened to college athletes in recent history is that Northwestern union thing fell apart. Those naive kids just about royally screwed themselves because all but a few schools have the ability to pay players beyond the scholarship.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the video? Or did it just go right over your head? What makes it to the player is $12.50 for every shirt purchased. And that's because the shirt is $25 and cost $12.50 to make. And, since you're a bama fan and the rest of the video seemed to go over your head I'll do the math. That's a $12.50 PROFIT, which will ALL be going to the player.

However, he never specifically said it's going to the player. It's implied. But if you don't want to watch that's cool. He's giving it to "deserving players" and he's going to track and post on social media how much money each player is making off the shirts. He's "charitable" and the only money that is going to his bank account is money from the Mark Emmert shirts.

I'm guessing you've never ran a business or understand the concept of overhead.

This kid probably hasn't/doesn't either.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The notion that Johnny Manziel was in any way ripped off by Texas A&M because they sold his jersey is a joke.

The kid gets his fame because he is wearing that jersey, not the other way around. And the jersey sales don't even come close to offsetting the costs of the scholarship and other things the schools do for the athletes.

All it shows is that as long as people blame money for something, everyone else will assume it's true, assume it's evil and wrong. Everyone's the victim getting ripped off by some institution.

The NCAA policy isn't stupid. The best thing that has happened to college athletes in recent history is that Northwestern union thing fell apart. Those naive kids just about royally screwed themselves because all but a few schools have the ability to pay players beyond the scholarship.

You're completely missing the point, 4down. If you don't think Johnny Manziel was ripped off that's fine. Mark Emmert isn't being ripped off in this scenario either then.

That being said, I think Johnny Manziel was worth wayyyyy more than Clay Honeycutt. And, I think Derrick Henry is worth way more than Levi Wallace or Shaquera Wade. But, maybe I'm wrong. I don't think schools should be paying athletes, but I also believe players should be allowed to profit off of their likeness.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're completely missing the point, 4down. If you don't think Johnny Manziel was ripped off that's fine. Mark Emmert isn't being ripped off in this scenario either then.

That being said, I think Johnny Manziel was worth wayyyyy more than Clay Honeycutt. And, I think Derrick Henry is worth way more than Levi Wallace or Shaquera Wade. But, maybe I'm wrong. I don't think schools should be paying athletes, but I also believe players should be allowed to profit off of their likeness.

I went to a San Fransisco 49'rs game about 8 years or so ago. Whatever Frank Gores rookie year was.

While I was there, I bought a Frank Gore jersey(actually, my work bought it, but whatever). I was going to get a jersey either way. The only question of the equation was - am I getting a Frank Gore jersey, or am I getting an Alex Smith jersey. I'm a Bears fan, I don't wear the Jersey, but it's a souvenir.

If kids could profit off their likeness, then you might as well pay them. Because that's what is going to happen. Some booster will pay out the ass for the players "stuff" and their "likeness" because they go to that school.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey kid, you come to LSU and I'll buy 10,000 of your jerseys.

TigerBait1971

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Superannuation

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the fuck is that word? Auto correct of superfan.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey kid, you come to LSU and I'll buy 10,000 of your jerseys.

Have you ever been to a game and seen several jerseys for sale? No. You go to a game and there's usually one stock number on every jersey in the store. The NCAA website and stadium stores don't have jerseys for walk on scrub backups. They have the most popular players jerseys.

I'm not turning this into a "should players be paid for their likeness" thread or a "why can the ncaa use athletes to advertise but other companies can't" thread. I'm just saying this video is an interesting concept. Legally pay players, but don't pay the president of the NCAA. It's exactly how the NCAA works, except there's a role reversal this time.

TigerBait1971

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf are you rambling on about?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever been to a game and seen several jerseys for sale? No. You go to a game and there's usually one stock number on every jersey in the store. The NCAA website and stadium stores don't have jerseys for walk on scrub backups. They have the most popular players jerseys.

Here's the problem when it comes to NCAA jersey's, imo. Typically, when buying an NCAA jersey (especially at a campus bookstore) there is no name on the back of the jersey. So, while someone may buy a jersey, it may not be because of the player currently wearing the number.

For example, #55 is a popular jersey number at USC. That was Junior Seau's number. How do we know if a USC fan buying that jersey, is buying it because it was Seau's number or because of Lamar Dawson (the guy currently wearing it)?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, #55 is a popular jersey number at USC. That was Junior Seau's number. How do we know if a USC fan buying that jersey, is buying it because it was Seau's number or because of Lamar Dawson (the guy currently wearing it)?
Isn't 55 an honorary number at USC?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a big time recruit I demand the number 12 at Texas A&M and make bank.

At Auburn I'm getting 34.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a big time recruit I demand the number 12 at Texas A&M and make bank.

A&M already profits from the # 12 already so it would not work and besides the 12th man jersey is usually for a walk on player.