• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Marshawn Lynch -
It's been a while since Lynch has been able to make a go of it, and that's a two headed coin. He could be rusty and out of game shape - but he could just be rested - which is a very scary thought for his opponents. Lynch has been, for lack of a better word, a BEAST in the playoffs during his career (917 yards 9 TDs 4.9 ypc) and he's gonna have fresh legs.

Russell Wilson - Wilson has been the most consistent player for this team all season - and last weeks -6 performance was more a weather issue than a Russell had a bad game issue. Carolina will be without their #2 & #3 CBs - so even if they use Josh Norman to take away Doug Baldwin - Kearse and Lockett will be dealing with guys who have mostly been buried on the sdepth chart.

7-3 - Seattle has dominated the series against Carolina, taking 70% of the matchups and outscoring the Panthers by 70 points over the last 9 contests (including the 4 point loss this season). Seattle has also not lost in Carolina since 2007. Having a temperature of 44 at kick off will feel like a summer day compared to last weeks horrific conditions.

Negatives:

Cam Newton -
Calling Cam Newton a running quarterback does not do him justice, or give a true indication of how the Panthers use his unique skill set. I see Newton as a throwing RB, and the Panthers aren't afraid to run him on a double lead QB draw (as ridiculous as that sounds). Seattle hasn't had to face many truly mobile QBs this year, but they've been burned by some not so mobile ones from time to time, like Matt Cassel getting 40 yards on 4 carries. The defense will have to be disciplined and keep their heads on straight - especially on late hits on Cam, which can be a problem for our aggressive D.

Turnovers - Seattle's defense has struggled with getting takeaways this season - over half of the Ds total turnovers this season have come in 4 games - and they've managed just 11 in the other 13 games. They have been as good as anyone to force punts, but they will need to get a couple today and keep the Panthers from getting into a good rhythm. Cam has thrown 2 picks in each of his last 2 games against Seattle - and that's a trend that will hopefully continue today.

Greg Olson - Olson is the only receiving threat that Cam will have today. Ted Ginn (44/739/10) may or may not play (and if he does will his knee hamper his speed) and we all know that Benjamin has been out all year. Atlanta stifled the Panther passing game by not allowing Olson to get to them - and force Cam to throw to Brown and Cotchery. Easier said than done - since Olson hate the Hawks alive last time (7/131/1).

Matchups:

Kam Chancellor vs. Greg Olson -
I usually hate putting a guy in the positives/negatives and then in the matchups as well - but this is the most important aspect to this game. Everyone knows the struggles the Seahawks had against TEs this season - including the game winning performance by Olson in week 6. Seattle has been better at this aspect of the game in recent weeks, allowing TEs only 22/207/1 over the last 7 games (15 TEs combined to make those numbers), after allowing 52/667/7 in the first 10 games.

Wagner/Wright/Irving vs. James Stewart - The last threat for Carolina is Stewart, who has at least 70 yards rushing in each of his last 3 games against Seattle - including 2 TDs earlier this year. If Seattle can force Cam to feel he has to beat them without relying on his best weapons - it could be a long day for the MVP candidate.

Kearse/Lockett vs. Finnegan/McClain - Carolina has been so decimated at CB that they've been forced to literally get guys off the street to fill in (Finnegan). Finnegan was once a very good CB, but he hasn't been that guy for at least 3 years. The fortunes of the offense may depend on whether Carolina will need to give help to either of these two guys.

Overview:

I am confident of this matchup. That isn't saying that it's a clear W for Seattle, because even when they were dominate in the past - playoff games tended to be close games that came down to one play. Carolina matches up well with Seattle - but Seattle also matches up well with Carolina (which isn't something the Panthers have dealt with much this year). Both teams are mostly healthy, and the weather will allow the game to be played without issues (unlike last week). This should be a slobberknocker, but it should be a very good game. The team that limits their mistakes and penalties could very well be the one who plays Arizona next week.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're the better team, but with an away game things can go sideways in a hurry. Just gotta take care of the ball and play our game. If we do that, then I have no doubts that we win this

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're the better team, but with an away game things can go sideways in a hurry. Just gotta take care of the ball and play our game. If we do that, then I have no doubts that we win this

I agree we're the better team - and if everything went according to what is on paper, the game isn't close even on an away game. But, we've all seen things go sideways for just about every team at one time or another - this team had it happen 5 times this year.

Since Russell came to this team the team is 5-5 in 10:00 am starting games, but the worst loss suffered was by 6 points (St. Louis 2012; Indy 2013) and we've beaten this team twice (2013; 2014). This team can do it, it's just a question of whether we're gonna have a team that played they did week 6, or is it gonna be a team that played like last year's Divisional Round?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully after that weather we endured at Minnesota and return of Lynch this will in comparison seem a little easier than it could've been lol. Wilson will be like, "Wow, I'm not throwing what feels like an actual rock anymore."

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kam-chancellor-of-the-seattle-seahawks-blocks-graham-gano-of-the-picture-id461533220.jpg

Keys to the game

1) Kam Chancellor needs to play his best game
- Only one other team utilizes their tight end more than the Panthers do. That's the Tennessee Titans. Greg Olsen is a weapon to be reckoned with. In his previous match up he had 7 rec for 131 yds and a TD. Kam has had his moments this year making big plays but for the most part he hasn't been the same all pro Kam during our two Superbowl runs. We'll need him to play at an elite level today.

In Olsen's previous 3 match ups he had 4 rec 58 yds, 1 rec 16 yds, and 5 rec 56 yds. We've contained him before and we can contain him again.

2) Seahawks defense dominant on the road this year
- In their past 6 games the Seahawks defense has given up 7.16 ppg allowing only one offensive touchdown during that stretch. Some have attributed to the noise level or lack thereof on the road while the defense is on the field. Communication is more crisp and they just play with a chip on their shoulder.

The Seahawks defense is also much healthier this time around. We have Jeremy Lane back. Cary Williams is gone. Jordan Hill is healthy. But most importantly Bobby Wagner is back. In week 6 when Bobby was out, KJ had to play out of position and Pierre-Louis had to start in KJ's spot.

If you remember that last drive, Pierre-Louis was undisciplined and was taken advantage of on third down. Miscommunication also played a huge factor in that touchdown throw to Olsen. Bobby is the quarterback of the defense, maybe with him in that game that doesn't happen. Having our full linebacker core healthy for this game is going to help immensely.

Our defense is predicated being discipline and trusting your teammates. You do your job and trust that your teammates will do theirs. Issues occurred early on in the year when there wasn't trust. Cary was getting beat. Earl was at time out of position because he had to lean to help Cary. Sherman was at time out of position having to pick up the slack for others trying to make a play. Our defense is healthier than the Panther's and playing better. We should have the slight advantage defensively.

running-back-marshawn-lynch-of-the-seattle-seahawks-rushes-against-picture-id493290358.jpg

3) The Beast is back!
- Marshawn will have to face a tough Carolina front 7 (probably the best in the NFL) and historically he hasn't fared well against this team, but having him back in the lineup will give the team a huge morale boost. Also if you trust Hugh Millen's opinions and believe that Christine Michael missed holes last week that Marshawn would usually get then having Beast Mode back will be an instant upgrade.

4) Attack the Panther's depleted secondary
- The Panthers have lost their #2 and #3 cornerbacks for the year (Charles Tillman and Bene Benwikere). The Seahawks mus take advantage of a depleted secondary that has been torched for 35 or more points twice in December to finish the year. Josh Norman is an elite talent, but teams found ways to take advantage of him. He is a playmaker but not as sound and consistent as Sherman is. The Seahawks will have the speed and deep threat of Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett to test Norman and the rest of the secondary.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch Jersey on.... pre-game Bloody Mary in hand! I'm ready!!!

:suds:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a fan of most of these fan remake songs, but at least it's better than "What Does the Hawk Say?"

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch will end up with 65y rushing, but it won't matter.
Seahawks 23 - Panthers 17

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A young Seahawks fan who lives in South Carolina will be at Sunday’s game, courtesy of the Seahawks and Coach Pete Carroll.
When Ade's mother, Heather Lewis, posted on Facebookthat her son's classmates would “boo” when he wears his Seahawks hat, the 7-year-old was flooded with support from other 12s.

More than 190,000 Seahawks fans responded – as did Seahawks Jordan Hill, Bobby Wagner, and Coach Pete Carroll.
Wagner posted a message to Ade on YouTube: “I heard you were out there reppin’ us, I just wanted to let you know we appreciate you, and if anybody try to pick on you we got your back, don’t worry about it.”

"Great to hear of Ade's love for the Hawks! The #12s are proud of you & support you all the way! We've got your back!" Carroll said in a Tweet.

On Saturday, Ade got an even bigger surprise when he received a box of gear from the Seahawks, along with an invitation:
"On behalf of Coach Carroll and the Seahawks we want to invite you to the Seahawks / Panthers playoff game tmrw!
We have 4 tickets and 4 pregame sideline passes for you and your family."

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A young Seahawks fan who lives in South Carolina will be at Sunday’s game, courtesy of the Seahawks and Coach Pete Carroll.
When Ade's mother, Heather Lewis, posted on Facebookthat her son's classmates would “boo” when he wears his Seahawks hat, the 7-year-old was flooded with support from other 12s.

More than 190,000 Seahawks fans responded – as did Seahawks Jordan Hill, Bobby Wagner, and Coach Pete Carroll.
Wagner posted a message to Ade on YouTube: “I heard you were out there reppin’ us, I just wanted to let you know we appreciate you, and if anybody try to pick on you we got your back, don’t worry about it.”

"Great to hear of Ade's love for the Hawks! The #12s are proud of you & support you all the way! We've got your back!" Carroll said in a Tweet.

On Saturday, Ade got an even bigger surprise when he received a box of gear from the Seahawks, along with an invitation:
"On behalf of Coach Carroll and the Seahawks we want to invite you to the Seahawks / Panthers playoff game tmrw!
We have 4 tickets and 4 pregame sideline passes for you and your family."
Heard about that story on KRJ Friday. Awesome to see the team pick it up and send them to the game. He's a 12 for life now, but you know those kids that booed him are going to do so even more now. It's a publicity stunt for the team, but it's still a cool story.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been going back and forth all week on this game. I keep thinking that the home field advantage, two weeks off and last week's frigid game is just too much for the Hawks to overcome but then I know I can never count this team out and if both teams play at their best Seattle is the better team

Hawks - 24
Panthers - 23

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right, signing off and getting into the game. Hopefully we have a matchup with the Cardinals to talk about after this and a chance to become the first NFC team to appear in 3 straight Super Bowls.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Hauschka came away from last week's game with a bruised foot. He posted a picture of it and his big toe looks especially bad. Hopefully the effect is minimal today. I guess that's what happens when you're asked to essentially kick bricks.

LOOK: Seahawks kicker still dealing with bruised foot from Vikings game

Anyway... Enjoy the game guys. I'm off until the post-game.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ! My wife is looking at me like I'm weird. All I'm doing is jumping around the house like a 12 year old waiting for kick off........... JUST START THE GAME!!!!!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhg, Aikman....

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1