• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Panthers at Seahawks Week 3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, for sure Cross may not play until after the bye. I guess I'll listen to Pete here on 710 later this morning and see if he mentions anything about that. It will be great if we can start getting these players back on the field and not lose anyone else significant.

Yah hopefully it's just grade 2 turf toe which I think it is given he's 'week to week'. Usually grade 2 you're back in an action 1-3 weeks and maybe you're in a walking boot for a bit. Grade 3 would be disaster since that would require surgery and that is where I've seen it be a 8-10 week disaster., but I don't think that's the case. Turf toe regardless is usually not too big of a deal for lineman though. Can effect their push a little bit but for OTs technique and lateral quickness is IMO more important.

I'm more concerned about Lucas and the knee injury. I know his patellar tendon is marked as 'sore' but tearing that thing can be a career ender. Medical advancements have made it not so, but that used to be (and still can be) a death sentence for an NFL career when you had one.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. Almost every team plays 3 WRs every snap anyway. He's a starter out of the gate, and he's only going to get better from here. With DK and TL both healthy and very productive, there are only so many receptions to go around even with Geno spreading the love. TEs are getting more looks than usual as well.

Jacson Bevens over at Fieldgulls is saying that JSN leads all receivers on the teams in yards of separation per route. I think part of the problem is that Metcalf has been dominant on those downfield plays to the point that Geno is just looking for him. That won't always be the case as teams are likely to roll coverage to him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacson Bevens over at Fieldgulls is saying that JSN leads all receivers on the teams in yards of separation per route. I think part of the problem is that Metcalf has been dominant on those downfield plays to the point that Geno is just looking for him. That won't always be the case as teams are likely to roll coverage to him.

Well that and we're using a lot of TE jumbo sets because of injuries on the OL. I think Brown at one point yesterday was literally the ONLY starter? It just changes your gameplan quite a bit. I saw somewhere that Geno missed JSN for a TD too, so it could be a little bit on our QB but again, when 4/5 starters on your OL is out... ooof.... not many teams can boast 37 points with no turnovers from the opposing team. All our points were solely on the offense and Myers that FUCK!

Watched quite a bit of this game at a bar with friends so couldn't completely pay attention, but hey... keep getting those field goals is all I said. It adds up. I know it's annoying to have 15 points come from field goals early on, but hey... you're moving the ball and scoring, it's all that matters end of day.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooner or later it seems defenses would have to (use more resources against DK). What I was expecting from this offensive group was a pick your poison type balanced attack -- opponents needing to decide to put more attention on the run with Walker & Charbonnet and take a little risk on the passing game or v/v; falling somewhere in the middle ending up allowing our offense to totally dictate the game. It hasn't really worked out that way yet but I think it still could with Charbonnet working in a little better and <hopefully> OL getting back healthy soon. On paper, this is the best WR corps we've had in the PC era, maybe the best TE group, and best RB room since Lynch & Turbin. If the line can stay on the field, they may be right there with the 2013 unit.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think taking Myles Murphy, who hasn't played yet, or Mazi Smith, who has had little to no impact yet, or Brian Bresee who has 2 tackles for the season, would have changed that?

Your argument is for the Seahawks to go back to drafting based on need versus BPA.
We are currently 31st against the pass. It would have MADE SENSE to go DL, period.
You can say all you want about njigba being a long term investment but carroll isnt going to be around to experience those benefits
How did that work out when we took Collier?
They traded down when they didnt have to
Montez sweat was there for the taking and they passed, he has 32 career sacks and the redskins exercised his 5th year option. Just one of many first round blunders.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are currently 31st against the pass. It would have MADE SENSE to go DL, period.
You can say all you want about njigba being a long term investment but carroll isnt going to be around to experience those benefits

It doesn't make sense to draft someone just to draft them. There were 6 defensive players drafted between Njigba and the Seahawks next pick of Derrick Hall.

My issue with your criticism isn't that Njigba was a no brainer and no other pick would have made sense. My issue is you are literally arguing that the Seahawks should have taken a DL player purely for the sake of taking a DL player. Which means you aren't even bothering with offering an alternate option. You are just criticizing who the Seahawks took.

As I've said several times to you, I think they should have taken Carter. And maybe if they took Carter they would have needed to taken Banks or Porter with the 2nd 1st. And I think it is possible the Hawks would have gone for Kancey if he was still available at 20. But if you are going to say we should have taken someone different then at least provide a name. Or don't and just wait to see which defensive player becomes a stand out and then say in a year or two that you always thought we should have taken that guy.

Montez sweat was there for the taking and they passed, he has 32 career sacks and the redskins exercised his 5th year option. Just one of many first round blunders.

There's the Monday Morning QBing we've come to expect from you.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy? Not exactly the player this team was looking for.

But pretty on brand for him to want a guy who hasn't played because the guy who has been playing hasn't been a huge impact guy in his first 3 games.
Calijah Kancey

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was taken before our pick.
That's who he wanted at the #20 pick...

... and he hasn't done anything...

Last edited:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTSACKSQBRRTG
23/383068.1111-1267.683.9
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTSACKSQBRRTG
23/362968.2112-1760.887.3

I think these two QB's played almost like mirror images of each other don't you? Wilson wasn't the reason they lost and Geno wasn't the reason we won today. Neither one did much to help their teams win or lose.

When was the last time a NFL team scored 70 points in a game that's just disgusting. Did Miami just continue to run up the score or something? Or is Denver's Defense just THAT bad?
Denver's defense is that bad. Backups were in earlier than normal in a blowout and Denver still couldn't stop them. I think yesterday also confirmed to us that Sean Payton really has a dislike for Russ keeping him in the entire game in a blowout loss.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I liked Sweat.

I would've preferred Carter over Witherspoon (I gotta give props to Witherspoon yesterday although competent receivers and better QBs make those throws and catches), but it's what it is.

That said, JSN was a solid pick. I don't know if you watched Seattle last year but outside of Lockett and Metcalf - both of whom were injured and we're lucky the later was not a career ender... there was nothing. Goodwin was okay but got injured quick. Lockett is 30. He's not going to last much longer. Great receiver, but he just doesn't have the body to go until mid 30s. JSN was the best receiver in the draft hands down. Passing on him in the 20s would've been stupid.

He's not going to do much behind Lockett/Metcalf, Waldron's system with Walker/Charbs and the TE system... but that's fine. When Lockett (and I hate to say it) retires in probably a year or goes down... you'll be thankful we drafted him.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree that teams are able to convert 3rd downs on running plays all that well. Seems to me that it is almost ALWAYS a passing play that we give up.

Pete's defenses always were built to give up a few 3rd downs in order to prevent the big play. But now teams are just marching up and down the field on us unless they shoot themselves in the foot with a penalty or turnover.
Seattle has averaged 5.3 rushing first downs allowed against per game the first 3 games. The issue i am saying is when it's 3rd and short that's when the run D seems to vanish. Hell we saw two BIG ones in this last game on 3rd down. In the past if it was 3rd and short and a team tried to run for it... They wouldn't get it. There was just no way they were going to run for the first down on 3rd down even when our Defense was bad. Hell i remember thinking i would rather face a 3rd and short instead of a 3rd and long because our pass D would never stop them.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't make sense to draft someone just to draft them. There were 6 defensive players drafted between Njigba and the Seahawks next pick of Derrick Hall.
taking njigba made sense how? dude missed almost an entire year with injury and so far isnt the best rookie WR, not even close.
My issue with your criticism isn't that Njigba was a no brainer and no other pick would have made sense. My issue is you are literally arguing that the Seahawks should have taken a DL player purely for the sake of taking a DL player. Which means you aren't even bothering with offering an alternate option. You are just criticizing who the Seahawks took.
it was a pure luxury pick, we didnt need a WR. we have two very good WRs and TEs that can easily pick up any slack. could have taken one later, could have picked up a FA (which we did with bobo, who has more TDs currently)
As I've said several times to you, I think they should have taken Carter. And maybe if they took Carter they would have needed to taken Banks or Porter with the 2nd 1st. And I think it is possible the Hawks would have gone for Kancey if he was still available at 20. But if you are going to say we should have taken someone different then at least provide a name. Or don't and just wait to see which defensive player becomes a stand out and then say in a year or two that you always thought we should have taken that guy.
any of DL taken after would have made more sense. either of the smiths, bresee or murphy. hell a trade up for kancey would have made me happy but we know they almost never trade up for someone they want.
There's the Monday Morning QBing we've come to expect from you.
hardly, collier was a 3rd round projection, pretty much everyone knew it was a bad pick when they made it. it was not a surprise to anyone that he busted hard.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
taking njigba made sense how? dude missed almost an entire year with injury and so far isnt the best rookie WR, not even close.

Best player available.

it was a pure luxury pick, we didnt need a WR. we have two very good WRs and TEs that can easily pick up any slack. could have taken one later, could have picked up a FA (which we did with bobo, who has more TDs currently)

It's called Best Player Available. That you are equating JSN and Bobo is just LOL.

any of DL taken after would have made more sense. either of the smiths, bresee or murphy. hell a trade up for kancey would have made me happy but we know they almost never trade up for someone they want.

So position over quality. Gotcha. How much you want to bet that no more than 1 of them(Smith, Bresee, Murphy, M Smith) has any sort of impact in the league? Can you say with any sort of certainty that any of them will have a bigger impact that Derrick Hall?

hardly, collier was a 3rd round projection, pretty much everyone knew it was a bad pick when they made it. it was not a surprise to anyone that he busted hard.
No. He was generally considered a 2nd round pick..

There was only 1 DE/DT taken in the 2nd round of that draft.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More curious about the number of targets and receptions allowed. That's great you're tackling but if you're allowing catches that's a problem.

PFF lists that Witherspoon was thrown at 13 times and allowed 5 completions. I don't know the yards, I don't have a paid account. Pro-football-reference won't update until Wednesday.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best player available.
It's called Best Player Available.
Was he though? its a matter of opinion
That you are equating JSN and Bobo is just LOL.
we all assume njigba will end up having the better season, but who knows?
So position over quality. Gotcha. How much you want to bet that no more than 1 of them(Smith, Bresee, Murphy, M Smith) has any sort of impact in the league? Can you say with any sort of certainty that any of them will have a bigger impact that Derrick Hall?
its a crapshoot, obviously. would rather take my chances on defensive line than wr in the current circumstances.
No. He was generally considered a 2nd round pick..

There was only 1 DE/DT taken in the 2nd round of that draft.
1695687694560.png
projected third round. lets not pretend that pick wasnt a huge reach and recognized as such when they made it.

like I said, they shouldnt have traded down. I have called them out on that for years.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he though? its a matter of opinion

It's all a matter of opinion.

we all assume njigba will end up having the better season, but who knows?

And you can say that about every pick as well. The Jets could have taken Charles Cross with their 1st pick last year and then drafted Tariq Woolen in the 4th round.

its a crapshoot, obviously. would rather take my chances on defensive line than wr in the current circumstances.

But again, you are focusing on drafting for need. That has screwed over and over again. Draft the best player available, that you can use.

View attachment 341471
projected third round. lets not pretend that pick wasnt a huge reach and recognized as such when they made it.

like I said, they shouldnt have traded down. I have called them out on that for years.

The pick WAS a huge reach. It was a huge reach because there weren't a lot of highly rated linemen in that draft. Maybe they thought Sweat would still be available. Maybe they got too cute. But what they shouldn't have done is take a player that wasn't a valuable pick.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF lists that Witherspoon was thrown at 13 times and allowed 5 completions. I don't know the yards, I don't have a paid account. Pro-football-reference won't update until Wednesday.

31 yards. 2 PBUs.

They rated Bradford as our worst run blocker on the OL which seems really strange to me.