• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners 2022-2023 Offseason Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome K-Mart shoppers..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This actually cushions the fall

Really screwed stuff up. They didn’t have to give up 2 prospects to create this roster. Geno could’ve been had for nothing and Wong could’ve been had for nothing. Plus I still hate the idea of they gave up the potential of Winker (he needed to be gone) to put Moore in the lineup everyday against lefties.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really screwed stuff up. They didn’t have to give up 2 prospects to create this roster. Geno could’ve been had for nothing and Wong could’ve been had for nothing. Plus I still hate the idea of they gave up the potential of Winker (he needed to be gone) to put Moore in the lineup everyday against lefties.
Wong for a year (or even more) wasn't my top 3 choice for 2B. Getting rid of Winker was something I said had to happen in order to take on payroll. So this is a push in that manner, but a negative for what we won't get. Any of the top 4 SS's (never was happening) or Torres or McNeil. All good tough. I said last week the writing was on the wall that money wouldn't be spent unless money went out. This whole 2026 money management crap is just that...crap. But M's management wins again.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Bay was just trending on twitter and I had to look because I thought the Mariners just re-signed him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some fans poo poo the idea of spending big and that you don't have to in order to win. True, but since 1995 only 1 team has won the WS w/o being in the top half of team payroll. That can't be a coincidence. It just gives you better talent if you have half a brain as a GM. I mean a guy long Wong is nice, but a guy like (insert one of the names of the Top 4 SS's available) just helps more. Talent is the key and you usually get what you pay for. Oh well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I believe officially we will have the 22nd, 29th and 30th pick in the draft. I know the 30th pick can be traded. Not sure about the 29th. I hope they use all 3 and some studs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you make a valid point or two. I can't remember when off the top of my head, but I am sure you have just by using the laws of average. :suds:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It turns out this pick isn't the Julio ROY pick so we will have 3 picks in the top 31 or 32.

Wow I even I thought it was Julio..

But it ok.3...wow..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wong for a year (or even more) wasn't my top 3 choice for 2B. Getting rid of Winker was something I said had to happen in order to take on payroll. So this is a push in that manner, but a negative for what we won't get. Any of the top 4 SS's (never was happening) or Torres or McNeil. All good tough. I said last week the writing was on the wall that money wouldn't be spent unless money went out. This whole 2026 money management crap is just that...crap. But M's management wins again.
I do wonder what the Yankees were asking for Torres because he is a better player at the moment. Can hit both lefties and righties and is a better defensive player. “Experts” or local podcasters are saying 2022 was an anomaly for Wong, well then Winker is twice the player of you play that game.

I am happy they got Wong but now they need a COF unless they are really going into the season with Teoscar ar DH and a combo of Kelenic, Trammell, Marlowe and DeLoach as the other COF. Still don’t get Jerry thinking starting pitching is a need. IMO both COF’s, 2B, DH and a lefty relief pitcher were the holes and he’s gotten 2 thus far.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder what the Yankees were asking for Torres because he is a better player at the moment. Can hit both lefties and righties and is a better defensive player. “Experts” or local podcasters are saying 2022 was an anomaly for Wong, well then Winker is twice the player of you play that game.

I am happy they got Wong but now they need a COF unless they are really going into the season with Teoscar ar DH and a combo of Kelenic, Trammell, Marlowe and DeLoach as the other COF. Still don’t get Jerry thinking starting pitching is a need. IMO both COF’s, 2B, DH and a lefty relief pitcher were the holes and he’s gotten 2 thus far.
I don't get him whatsoever but it worked for the second time in his GM career so we have to roll with it. For me Wong is Frazier 2.0 but maybe this time that version will hit. I am still miffed at this whole 2026 thing. You still need players in 2026 which tells me no big additions 2023-2025 and then in 2026 the big 3 will need to get paid so no big additions from 2026-2030? It is what I said it is when they signed Jrod, we got our marketing player so we will do with him what they did with Griffey. Add small pieces and hope he is good enough to carry us and if he isn't it is ok because he will still put butts in seats.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see your argument which I guess could be true. But I can’t imagine the dudes in charge are really that dumb. Of course they want to spend as little but maximize their profits but it isn’t like the Mariners made the playoff by 15 games. Not necessarily squeaked in but when they have the Astros in the division standing pat is dumb. The late 90’s Mariners as dumb as they were for essentially standing pat, at least they had the best offense in baseball throughout those 4 playoff runs. The Mariners, as it stands, are going to be the worst offensive team out of any “contenders” next year. Pitching wins in the playoffs but offense gets you there. Much like the football saying of rushing and defense wins in the playoff, well you need to either have a historic defense or pitching staff, or a good enough offense to get you home field.
I personally disagree with the decision not to spend, but I can see why it wouldn't be "dumb."

Dipoto was quoted as saying the following:

"Speaking on Seattle Sports 710 AM this week, Dipoto pointed out that the Mariners have more obligations in 2024 and beyond than all but two teams, by virtue of their core of young talent that will hit arbitration, the substantial contract extensions given Julio Rodriguez, Luis Castillo and Crawford, and the Robbie Ray contract."

From their perspective, I think they believe if they added significant payroll obligations this offseason, it would hamstring them from extending guys currently on the roster or adding in the future.

I disagree with the decision, but realistically speaking there is nothing that indicates that this franchise is willing to spend like the Yankees. They are also probably looking at it from a business perspective. In the end, the owners care most about making money and that means minimizing expenses while maximizing revenue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for it whatsoever and think that payroll should at least be a minimum of ~$180m-$200m based on what they've spent in the past, but unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen. Frankly I don't expect the Mariners to be major players in free agency based on what has occurred so far.