• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners 2022-2023 Offseason Thread

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#4..out field...would be left over...from a trade...kelenic..trammel..and /or marlow..

bench still ends up...

10 murphy
11 moore..
12haggerty..
13..#4..outfield

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hitting at AA arkanses...is crittical..for mariners..minors develop.....

deloach...and polcavich..and perez...and Jake Scheiner 2...3b...these guys hit around...240 and 250...they need to breakout of that...

all..the guys at AAlvl......

and at everett as well....

the only guys to make some progress...

seem to be...
Robert Perez Jr. 4
and
Spencer Packard 34

yeah..
and marlow...

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah we need..some break outs..in the first..half......or stuff will stall......

all along..the..minors way...they need break outs....

at this point anyway....

good job drafting.....

ss young...
1b locklear...
and...
2b windash...

and all 3 HS pitchers...

know they need to work..on hitting...how to get..better..

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
draft ..likes....mariners need..to re-load..on pitching..its..there...and they have extra picks..

RHP

Juaron Watts-Brown​

Oklahoma State
72RHP

Alonzo Tredwell​

UCLA..

103LHP

Hunter Hollan​

Arkansas...

129LHP

Hunter Owen​

Vanderbilt...

pick your hitters later...and you already...have...next years..pitchers..at AcL....and that will be hitters...

oppertunity.......

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they keep all there..picks they may even have a shot..at..
3B

Jake Gelof​

Virginia..
witch..they do need a top lvl..3b

this guy is interesting....
2411B/LHP

Caden Grice​

Clemson
You hardly ever slap an 80 power grade on preps because you just don't know how their body will develop. Grice was the exception. Back in 2020, we threw an 80 raw power grade on the South Carolina bluechip watching him annihilate baseballs night in and night out against 17 year olds. Those lofty claims have rung true as Grice smoked 15 homers as a true freshman and continued to impress in his limited sample on the Cape. That's not to say Grice is a complete package. There's significant swing-and-miss here that must be addressed next seasons, but that's a whole lot of development time for a kid scratching the surface of what he's capable of. Grice is likely a first baseman at the next level as he's not a great athlete on the run, but it won't matter as whomever selects him next July will be investing in the thunderous bat.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2511B/OF

Keaton Anthony​

Iowa
Anthony is coming off a massive freshman year where he anchored the Hawkeyes lineup as a teenager. The hit tool here is real, and so is the power. There's a chance for an above average bat at the next level when all is said and done. Outside of the box, Anthony is a below average athlete with a fringy throwing arm and limited mobility in corner outfield spots. He's likely a first baseman at the next level where a bit more pressure may be placed on the bat. Still, it's hard to ignore the gaudy offensive outputs he's put together. Because of it, he's got a chance to go on day two in July.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of coares..its a pre draft..check....just looking...for now....

stats ..tell..in the end....and floors and celings...

but its about sustainablity....for the mariners....

we always see..clevland and houston comming out..with ...

good prospects at mlb lvl...cuz they draft....well...

so have the mariners..in recent...times...

there pitching...is proof...of that...

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gelof or not there are a lot..of interesting...3b this year...to choose from..

some good outfields to watch...

OF

Jake Cunningham​

Charlotte

Cunningham has continued to blossom every single year he's been at Charlotte, turning himself into something of a 5-tool player. He's got the hit tool and the power to inject impact into any lineup. He can really go get it in centerfield with 70-grade run times, and he's a big-time threat on the basepaths too. A leader in the clubhouse, Cunningham has the makeup and tools to really show well at the next level. Furthermore, his 6-foot-4-inch frame and burgeoning abilities at the plate suggest there's more in the tank. If a team believes in the bat, he could go early on day two...

161OF

Elijah Nunez​

TCU
Nunez is one of the top defensive outfielders in all of college baseball, with the flare to make the spectacular plays. An above-average runner who takes impressive routes and can cover a ton of ground with ease, Nunez has the glove to fit in anywhere in the outfield. Advanced approach at the plate with some bat speed and compact bat path from the left side. There's a 4th outfielder profile here at worst, with potential for way more depending on how the hit tool develops.

OF

Rylan Charles​

UNLV

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
244OF

TJ McCants​

Ole Miss
McCants was a big prospect in the 2019 MLB Draft and continues to be in 2023. He's a supreme athlete with at least plus-plus speed and projection on the impact in the bat as he continues to age. There's a little bit of a young Jason Heyward here. McCants has played all over the diamond, but a lot of the scouts we've spoken with like him in centerfield as a pro. It's a really good frame with strong bat to ball skills. McCants can certainly steal a base, and as he ages, could get to 45-grade power. It's a fringy arm, but this is a big league centerfielder.

1892B/SS

Colby Halter​

Florida

2522B/SS

Cam Clayton​

Washington..
Clayton doesn't hit the ball terribly hard, but he sure does hit the ball a lot. He ranked among the best in the entire country in 2022 as a true freshman with a 93% contact rate on swings in the zone. That's elite. He's a lean-bodied infielder with good balance and rhythm to his game. He's got enough athleticism to handle any infield spot, including the shortstop position as he matures into the next level. If teams believe they can unlock a bit more thump in Clayton's game, he's got a shot to go in the middle of day two of the draft, maybe a tick earlier. A true sophomore, Clayton is draft-eligible before he turns 21 years old...

299SS

Hunter Haas​

Texas A&M
As a true freshman, Haas featured some of the best bat-to-ball skills in the country in 2021, making contact with close to 90 percent of the pitches he offered at. There's not a ton of power here, not yet at least. He's a slappy hitter who does project some at the plate, but what you're buying here is a potential plus hit tool and average tools across the board on the dirt. Haas figures to handle shortstop for Arizona State for the foreseeable future, and that speaks volumes with a talent like Nick McLain on campus at the same time.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1672951390586.png
  • Position Infield
  • Bats/Throws R/R
  • Height 6-1
  • Weight 185
  • Class Sophomore
  • Hometown Lake Oswego, Ore.
  • High School Lakeridge
  • Instagram camclayt
  • Twitter CamClayton12..

POAEFLD%20226813712.945Total6813712......945..fld..should get better..

elite..93 pct contact rate...nice...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t we just trade for Bauer instead? Taylor would be an upgrade for 100% but, I can’t believe this is a serious statement that I could honestly hear Jerry saying, but when and where would Dylan Moore play?

Plus, if they are going to get significantly better offensively, might as well try to make the best pitching staff possible and open up all pitchers for trades.
People around different fanbases are going nuts about not wanting Bauer. I doubt the P.C. Mariners would venture into the mess. I just don't see it.

But with that said, it makes perfect sense. Every time I think one way, they go the other so...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all comments Marco. They anointed him the club 'ace' and he inherited all the opening day starts and I just face palmed thinking ... the SS Mariners are sinking fast.

I never was a Marco fan and still am not. His benefit is an innings eater who amazingly stays pretty healthy and doesn't miss many starts.

I really hope he has worked on his breaking ball and changeup this off season. Those are his only 2 effective pitches

If we can get 175 innings out of Marco - I really do not care if his record is 10-10 or a losing record like last year
I will say with Marco I'm kind of "meh" on him. Honestly given his stuff, it's impressive considering the results he has had as I don't really see anything that special with his pitches, but he has produced. I would say the best thing about Marco is that he's pretty consistent. You know you're gonna get 6-7 innings out of him allowing around 3 runs.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem I see is the two scenarios Divish writes about. Let take trading to get them better, it going 100% against Jerry’s philosophy. If the Mariners get Reynolds they will receive Kelenic, Gilbert/Kirby and most likely Hancock. It destroys the farm and puts the money into a must get great players with their first three first round picks.

None of the remaining free agents don’t do anything for me because A. It’s Bandaid and we will be in the same spot next year B. They are all platoon guys.

This shitty off-season could be reborn if they can sign Bauer though
I love Divish but I think he drastically underestimates what we'd have to give up for Reynolds.

This was an article I clicked on thinking I'd heavily disagree, but it brings up great points:

The following paragraph really stood out to me:

The Pirates would likely accept Gilbert as a centerpiece, as he’d immediately slot in as their best pitcher, and his age fits the hypothetical competitive window with Pittsburgh’s bright young stars in Oneil Cruz and Ke’Bryan Hayes as the Pirates transition (hopefully) from being bad-bad (the Athletics) to fun-bad (the Orioles). But, even if Pittsburgh signed off on Gilbert+ as a package, would the Mariners deal him? One hopes not. Aside from the hole it would create in the Mariners’ lone arena where they can go toe-to-toe with the Astros, starting pitching, it would be extreme personnel mismanagement. What a reward it would be for a pitcher who, over the course of his development, has done everything the team has asked him to do, helping to break a decades-long playoff drought in the process, to be unceremoniously shuffled to a non-contender. For the analytically-minded Gilbert, always looking to improve, it would be an extra insult to be deposited in Pittsburgh, a club that has struggled to help pitchers reach their potential. Such a deal would have larger ramifications in the clubhouse and among the fanbase, as well, as the removal of an integral part of the Mariners’ young core would deepen the perception that the club trades players with impunity to shore up holes that could be patched in free agency. The idea is too dreadful to consider, and so we will stop considering it.

Personally I wouldn't give up Kirby or Gilbert in the trade and don't think Matt Brash would be enough as he hasn't proved anything as a starter.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like kelenic and tramel...are in the plans..a good thing.....and hummel..as well....hernandez as 1/2 a DH....

other 1/2....???'''

wich would mean..trammel..maybe right field....hummel..bench

Last edited:

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am kind of speechless on a couple things Dipoto says here. I will see if others see the same thing.

If the couple things are: 1. Kelenic and 2. Trammel Yea I am pretty speechless as well

Its like he already has them both on the opening day roster touting how they have lit it up in off season hitting workouts :L

Trammel needs to go - plain and simple. Bundle him up in any manner to get rid of him.

Kelenic - IF and that's a BIG 'IF', if he breaks camp and has EARNED a spot on the 25 man roster, I think you play him fulltime in LF or RF against both lefty and righty pitchers. If ( another IF ) if he is batting .225 or higher on that split after 3-4 weeks, let it roll and see if he can get more comfy and battle his way to .240-.250

If he struggles against left handed pitching but he is hitting .240 or higher off of righties, consider platooning him with someone and he is in the lineup against righties only. If by May 22 he is batting below the Mendoza line... HE IS GONE. back to Tacoma ( to stay ) or package him up with Trammel and offer them up as dumb and dumber and take the 1st decent offer for them both or cash considerations for a future deal.

If both Trammel and Kelenic are on the opening day roster the Mariners have FAILED as a ball club.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Divish but I think he drastically underestimates what we'd have to give up for Reynolds.

This was an article I clicked on thinking I'd heavily disagree, but it brings up great points:

The following paragraph really stood out to me:

The Pirates would likely accept Gilbert as a centerpiece, as he’d immediately slot in as their best pitcher, and his age fits the hypothetical competitive window with Pittsburgh’s bright young stars in Oneil Cruz and Ke’Bryan Hayes as the Pirates transition (hopefully) from being bad-bad (the Athletics) to fun-bad (the Orioles). But, even if Pittsburgh signed off on Gilbert+ as a package, would the Mariners deal him? One hopes not. Aside from the hole it would create in the Mariners’ lone arena where they can go toe-to-toe with the Astros, starting pitching, it would be extreme personnel mismanagement. What a reward it would be for a pitcher who, over the course of his development, has done everything the team has asked him to do, helping to break a decades-long playoff drought in the process, to be unceremoniously shuffled to a non-contender. For the analytically-minded Gilbert, always looking to improve, it would be an extra insult to be deposited in Pittsburgh, a club that has struggled to help pitchers reach their potential. Such a deal would have larger ramifications in the clubhouse and among the fanbase, as well, as the removal of an integral part of the Mariners’ young core would deepen the perception that the club trades players with impunity to shore up holes that could be patched in free agency. The idea is too dreadful to consider, and so we will stop considering it.

Personally I wouldn't give up Kirby or Gilbert in the trade and don't think Matt Brash would be enough as he hasn't proved anything as a starter.
I don’t think any package I have seen from him is really unreasonable. The thing with Reynolds is it goes to my gripe with the philosophy of trading, as your article points out, it has to subtract from the big league team, most likely Gilbert cause I can’t see them remotely trading Kirby after his postseason. The trading to build a team is great but the Mariners weren’t built for that. Jerry gets massive props for getting the farm system to where it was going into last year but the Mariners do not have the farm system to trade from anymore for a significant piece. Jerry and Co, built the organization to be significant spenders last offseason and this off-season. I know they like to count Castillo and Julio as big spending but if those guys are the big spending that the team was built for then those contracts are terrible.

They chose to go for more major league ready prospects when they drafted, but once those guys were close they chose to go young. I guess the other option is trading major leaguers for prospects but you can’t do that when you are winning. If they were going to rebuild this way, then they should’ve tanked for longer. They don’t have the prospects to trade anymore and the 2024 roster is the 4 SP, Munoz, Julio and Raleigh. Every other prospects who is “knocking on the door” have zero path to prove they are good enough for the 2024 roster unless it is in the bullpen or utility players.