• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sean Smith

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also living in South FL and most of my family & friends are Dolfans no one is upset about not resigning him. Most think giving him 8+ a year is crazy IJS

That doesn't mean they are right.

Sean Smith has skills and I believe would make us very tough to pass against. As of late none of the DB's that the Dolphins have drafted high have done well in their system. Vonte Davis was a very skilled CB and the Dolphins failed to develop him, I'm curious to see what the Colts can do. Plus they got another huge talent in Smith that they misused. Smith should be on Sherman's level if used correctly.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also living in South FL and most of my family & friends are Dolfans no one is upset about not resigning him. Most think giving him 8+ a year is crazy IJS

I would still like to re-sign Goldson and to a lesser extent Walker. But I'm not going to break the bank on their player, they need to take modest salaries. I believe Goldson will test the FA market again and find that there isn't much out there for him.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't mean they are right.

Sean Smith has skills and I believe would make us very tough to pass against. As of late none of the DB's that the Dolphins have drafted high have done well in their system. Vonte Davis was a very skilled CB and the Dolphins failed to develop him, I'm curious to see what the Colts can do. Plus they got another huge talent in Smith that they misused. Smith should be on Sherman's level if used correctly.

True but I don't know I thought Vonte was a better corner then Smith and I know Smith has the measurables to be a top flight corner and the system may have been wrong for both of them but I personally don't want to make a 40 million dollar investment and turn out to be wrong. I like our current model of paying and keeping our own players and would rather spend that money on Goldson

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but I don't know I thought Vonte was a better corner then Smith and I know Smith has the measurables to be a top flight corner and the system may have been wrong for both of them but I personally don't want to make a 40 million dollar investment and turn out to be wrong. I like our current model of paying and keeping our own players and would rather spend that money on Goldson

They were both great prospects and athletes with Vonte being possibly a better athlete. The Dolphins just failed to develop the talent that they had, it isn't unheard of, but it seems to happen pretty frequently with Miami. Since Madison and Surtain left, they haven't really developed any talent at DB that I can think of.

I like our own moel as well, but here is the problem with that. Our secondary is not very good. They give up way too much in the passing game and need to be upgraded. Goldson is good and makes big plays but he also gives up his fair share of big plays and gets dumb penalties.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been my #1 target for the niners too. I thought he would be tagged by the fins, since he's not, hopefully there won't be too big of a market for him. I wouldn't mind giving him and Goldson both 4 year contracts at 7mil a year. Let Paraag do his thing and fill Smith's deal with incentives to protect themselves. But I think he'll hit them, because the kid is talented.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been my #1 target for the niners too. I thought he would be tagged by the fins, since he's not, hopefully there won't be too big of a market for him. I wouldn't mind giving him and Goldson both 4 year contracts at 7mil a year. Let Paraag do his thing and fill Smith's deal with incentives to protect themselves. But I think he'll hit them, because the kid is talented.

They will probably be looking for something longer term for a guy like Smith (25 years old), I was thinking more 6 year contract.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for cap space Pozz.

If we trade Alex Smith between March 12th and 15th, cut Akers and cut Haralson we will have roughly $18,227,575 in cap space with 51 players on the roster.

Others that could be cut to clear even more are Goodwin and Manningham which would add an additional $8.3M in cap space.

$18M is a lot especially if Goldson isn't returning.

I had a general idea but didn't know exact (or close to) numbers that I could have spit out on my own without some digging. Thanks.

I really don't have much of a rooting interesting in seeing Manningham back. Wouldn't have been a supporter of seeing him back without the injury either. Didn't like that signing. Although, I did think he'd sign for longer than he did.

Torn on whether Goodwin needs to or should go now or not. May lean towards saying I'd like to see them keep him for 1 more year.

Some other names I'd keep in mind:

Chris Ivory - RFA but may not get tendered

Brandon Gibson

G/T Geoff Schwartz - Likely to get starter money, though. 49ers had interest in him last year right before he signed in Minnesota.

LB Antwan Barnes - Should've been a Niner from the get go. One of my favorite players in the NFL and one of the most underrated pass rushers that I've seen.

LB Philip Wheeler

DT Sammie Lee Hill (If Sopoaga were to leave)

K Phil Dawson

K Rob Bironas

K Lawrence Tynes

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cutting Rogers would result in $2,919,531 in cap space. We'd have $4,425,000 in dead money for this season as a result. I'd prefer we wait a year to cut him.

I thought it was more. Then yeah, you're probably right. Although if the Niners had plenty of cap space to do whatever they were going to do anyway, I'd prefer to cut him immediately because it would significantly help the 2014 cap.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why cut Rogers? he's the best pass defender on the 49ers

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could keep Rogers and sign a CB. Which is what we should do. Take Whitner off the field and have Smith take his assignments on passing downs.

Pozz, Bingo, and Myself are fully on board with going after Sean Smith. Reports are the 49ers are already interested. He's gonna get $8M+ per. I like this a lot more than Revis at $16M per.

My only concern is Goldson. Reports say we aren't gonna tag him. If he walks for more green money then we have to replace him in the draft most likely.

I apologize for being late to join in, but add me to that list as well. I've been a big fan of him for the past year or so. He was the most impressive guy in in this years Hard Knocks for sure (all though i suppose that isn't saying much).

He's definitely a bargain type of player that i could see us going after. I'm sure he would have interest in coming to SF to compete for a Super Bowl.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From roto:

McKelvin was among the league's best return men this season. He averaged a league-leading 18.7 yards per punt return and brought two punts to the house. He also ranks fourth in kick-return average at 28.3 yards. McKelvin, who also contributed as a slot corner, is scheduled to hit free agency this spring. Thu, Dec 20, 2012 10:23:00 AM

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't fall for it!!! he's from Buffalo!!! they're great for a season then they jizz all over the field at pivotal moments to win a game!!!!(thereafter)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vontae Davis:

I seen my dude Sean Smith last night he said he talking to KC him & B Flowers will makes a good Duo

Ha.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vontae Davis:

I seen my dude Sean Smith last night he said he talking to KC him & B Flowers will makes a good Duo

Ha.

Vontae Davis:

My Twitter was Hack I did not see Sean Smith last night!!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My twitter wassaaa a hacckkaaa

I nooo a seeaaa theees Sean Smitha

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had a general idea but didn't know exact (or close to) numbers that I could have spit out on my own without some digging. Thanks.

I really don't have much of a rooting interesting in seeing Manningham back. Wouldn't have been a supporter of seeing him back without the injury either. Didn't like that signing. Although, I did think he'd sign for longer than he did.

Torn on whether Goodwin needs to or should go now or not. May lean towards saying I'd like to see them keep him for 1 more year.

Some other names I'd keep in mind:

Chris Ivory - RFA but may not get tendered

Brandon Gibson

G/T Geoff Schwartz - Likely to get starter money, though. 49ers had interest in him last year right before he signed in Minnesota.

LB Antwan Barnes - Should've been a Niner from the get go. One of my favorite players in the NFL and one of the most underrated pass rushers that I've seen.

LB Philip Wheeler

DT Sammie Lee Hill (If Sopoaga were to leave)

K Phil Dawson

K Rob Bironas

K Lawrence Tynes

Mike Jurecki:

Depending on the tender offer RB Chris Ivory receives from the #Saints (undrafted) he's a restricted FA, look for the Cards to pursue Ivory.

Arrrgh! I do not want to see that. He's one of about 5-8 backs I thought the Packers should've pursued the last year or so.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vontae Davis:

Ha.

may not be funny if it cock blocks our chance of getting good picks from smith.