• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks to Make Russell Wilson Highest-Paid Quarterback

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Wilson and he has done a great job but he shouldn't be making 20m+ a year. The seahawks are good because of their defense and running game. Sure there are a few games that Russell will win for you but he isn't the reason they are winning so I wouldn't blow the team's budget on him when they need the money to keep that defense intact

And this ^^^^ is exactly why you have ZERO GM ability. I've watched EVERY Seahawk game and you have watched a few, and the guys that make the decision, PC & JS, have watched EVERY game and EVERY practice and know WAY more than you, even though YOU may not think so, but GRAB a clue dude. So tired of this (BOLDED) automatic response. :lame:

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get this. Wilson is IMO a top 10 QB but he's not Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Brees, even Rivers status. Either way, a fat contract $22M+ a year will destroy Seattle.

You do realize that Seattle has already signed 8 core players, not just players, but Pro-Bowlers (Sherm, Thomas, Cam, Wright, Avril, Bennett, Unger, Lynch) and they will be JUST FINE, this will NOT destroy Seattle.:lol: Enjoy the ride for the next few years, then we can possibly complain, but I doubt it.

PackManDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to executives in the financial sector who make just as much if not more by coming up with ways to screw average Joe's out of their hard earned money?

This thread isn't about that. It is about an athlete possibly making more than $110 million to play a sport. Stay on topic please.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning still has two years left on his contract, so that makes no sense. When Manning signed with Denver, SF and AZ were prepared to offer him a deal comparable to what Denver offered. How many teams in the league do you think are prepared to make Wilson the highest paid QB in the league? Great as he is on Seattle, surely you realize that his value on other teams is not as great as it is in Seattle. Seattle ought to be able to use that to its advantage in negotiations with Wilson.

All teams face cap constraints that affect their personnel decisions. For example, Denver faces tough personnel decisions this offseason with both Julius Thomas and Demarius Thomas. Though I would like for them to both remain Broncos, I also understand the cap ramifications of paying too much to keep them. Similarly, each dollar spent on Wilson reduces by $1 the amount of salary that Seattle can pay its other p[ayers.
the Washington Redskins would jump at the chance to pay Wilson that kinda money.

Face it. In Reality if you're a good QB & your contract is up, you will be the next highest paid QB in the league.
It has been happening that way for years now. Sucks for the Hawks to have to pay that much, but they will. (he wont be leaving Seattle)

Honest question. Has a Qb ever had the Fran. Tag put on them? If so how long ago was that?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk. Tag him?

Hard to believe any other team would make him the highest paid QB. For me anyway.

It'll be interesting to see if this report ends up being legit. Cuz you're right, the timing is very odd.

If you tag him this year. He will r*pe the Hawks on the next one. No one likes the tag especially the way players get injured. Plus RW even though he's good at avoiding hard hits, running QBs are often injured.

Ksfnslayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to think about what you're paying for, and that falls mostly in the entertainment category. So throwing the stat sheet aside, it is hard to beat Russell for quality entertainment at QB. That being said, I would still rather see players get paid like they did in the 70's or 80's but with today's $ value. Unfortunately the sport has escalated in every phase as a big business on steroids and it's scary.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell will get his money, he deserves every penny they pay him. So does every player in the NFL. We keep forgetting the average career is very short but they sometimes are left with nagging injuries or worse.
These are modern day gladiators who literally beat the crap out of each other for our entertainment.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question. Has a Qb ever had the Fran. Tag put on them? If so how long ago was that?

Good question. I want to say Brees got it a few years ago before signing his mega deal but Im not 100% sure on that. I also randomly remember Matt Cassell getting it after that year he played when Brady was hurt, but then the Pats traded him to the Chiefs shortly afterwards.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some really clueless people here, including Seattle fans.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell will get his money, he deserves every penny they pay him. So does every player in the NFL. We keep forgetting the average career is very short but they sometimes are left with nagging injuries or worse.
These are modern day gladiators who literally beat the crap out of each other for our entertainment.

Thank you. And players only get what the market bears. Do we really want it another way?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Washington Redskins would jump at the chance to pay Wilson that kinda money.

Face it. In Reality if you're a good QB & your contract is up, you will be the next highest paid QB in the league.
It has been happening that way for years now. Sucks for the Hawks to have to pay that much, but they will. (he wont be leaving Seattle)

The Saints tried to franchised Brees.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True... Teams would jump to snatch him away.... Were gonna have no choice but to pay him... And dammit we should ... He's led Seattle to more wins than any QB in NFL history his first 3 seasons all while being our lowest paid QB on our roster... It's almost insane when you think about it...

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't like Russell Wilson, that goes without saying. I do respect his ability as a QB though. I will think of it this way. If you put these QB's on the Seahawks do they have better, the same, worse or don't know results. Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would elevate the Seahawks. After that I really have to think hard to find another QB that makes Seattle better. Here are QB's that could make them slightly better but that's a big if. Tony Romo, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Drew Brees and that's about it. So at the very least I would rank him 8th of NFL QB's. He's a very heady and gutsy player who makes plays and finds ways to win. I hate to give him such high praise at such an early stage of his career but if I'm being honest, that's how I see him. In reality I would probably rank him 6 or 7. That's high enough to get a very large payday. Winning the super bowl again wouldn't necessarily change my opinion. He does have a very talented team and coaching staff. He's a great young player. Fuck you Seattle.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team in the league without a franchise type QB would pay Wilson that kind of money. Anybody who doesn't think he is a top tier QB is in denial.

This is a QB'S league.. If you have a chance to sign a QB like Wilson, you do it. He's young, smart, a leader beyond his years and more importantly a winner.

I wish the Cardinals had a QB like Wilson.

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have the stats but does have the wins. Just saw he is the highest rated passer in the playoffs in NFL history. Somebody should check that.
Not so sure some of the less mobile QB's would thrive here. Our line is still a project with the revolving door all season.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have the stats but does have the wins. Just saw he is the highest rated passer in the playoffs in NFL history. Somebody should check that.
Not so sure some of the less mobile QB's would thrive here. Our line is still a project with the revolving door all season.

Rodgers is mobile and Brady plus Manning are highly intelligent and make decisions quickly. Ask yourself this; are the Patriots or Broncos as successful if they have Wilson as THEIR QB?

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is mobile and Brady plus Manning are highly intelligent and make decisions quickly. Ask yourself this; are the Patriots or Broncos as successful if they have Wilson as THEIR QB?

They would have to change their offense so likely not. We really don't know how Russell would do as a pure pocket passer with other than "pedestrian wide receivers". He hasn't been asked to do that. We do know that he is a real bummer for defenses when he scrambles.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have to change their offense so likely not. We really don't know how Russell would do as a pure pocket passer with other than "pedestrian wide receivers". He hasn't been asked to do that. We do know that he is a real bummer for defenses when he scrambles.

Brady has had pedestrian wide receivers most of his career. It's just something fun to think about. I hope you guys meet the Packers in the NFCCG. If that happens All bets are off.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady has had pedestrian wide receivers most of his career. It's just something fun to think about. I hope you guys meet the Packers in the NFCCG. If that happens All bets are off.
I think it is too early in his career to compare Russell Wilson to Brady or the others. What is valid is to compare his first three years to the first three years of all other quarterbacks. I think he is setting some records. It doesn't hurt to have one of the best defenses for a long time but that actually masks how much Russell means to Seattle.
If you watch all his games, its easy to see that there is more available than what he is asked to do.

As far as the NFCCG? I got magic weed if we win, and there's a bridge down the street I plan to jump off of if things go amiss!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson's 109.6 postseason passer rating is best in NFL history (min. 150 attempts) ahead of Starr, Rodgers, Warner, Brees, Montana.

So there you go.