• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks to Make Russell Wilson Highest-Paid Quarterback

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is going to doom the Seahawks. No way they can sign all their other good players while paying Wilson that kind of salary. Wilson being greedy and taking that huge salary and not being a team player will destroy the Seahawks. Just watch. 7-9, here they go again.

Oh Wait, Seattle ALREADY signed EVERY other key player except Bobby Wagner, which WILL happen too. Go Hawks.

Doubtful...if structured well...the new projected cap of roughly $143 to $145mil will accommodate a $20mil a yr player much better than in previous years.

Plus he's young enough to spread the bonus cash to the end of the deal and fit the key players under the cap.

Greedy...it's the nature of the NFL player...coming off making next to nothing the previous years and not complaining...I don't blame him....caught your last statement at the end.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson has now played in 6 playoff games. He has 9 TDs and 1 Int and his 1 Int was a hail mary pass against the Falcons after the D blew the lead.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Wilson on a team that had a shit defense and would have to throw almost every down and see how so called elite he would be. Easy to light up the scoreboard when you have a great defense and know they will bail you out every game. I think Wilson is very good but put him on the Colts with no running game and below average defense I have my doubts. Just saying.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Wilson on a team that had a shit defense and would have to throw almost every down and see how so called elite he would be. Easy to light up the scoreboard when you have a great defense and know they will bail you out every game. I think Wilson is very good but put him on the Colts with no running game and below average defense I have my doubts. Just saying.

That's pretty transparent...he would have more passing yards but would struggle more in the win dept.

The guy simply doesn't make the big mistake that will cost you games...when the plays are there to be made, he makes them...I'm not big on the often used, but seldom defined "elite" tag, but those traits makes him elite imo because they directly lead to wins.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy? How many very good to great defenses have we seen throughout history go to waste because they couldn't find someone to do the "easy" job of lighting up the scoreboard?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why this is Seattle's last year of winning a Super bowl. They have to cut Lynch and will lose others . Window is closing.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree what makes Wilson who he is, is that he doesn't make the big mistake. He lets the D win the game and he doesn't lose it. Great game manager.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's this crap again. Tell me how easy it is to play most of the season behind a tattered offensive line with the #1 and #2 targets being undrafted free agents. And the guys before him had the same advantages that he had as far as defense goes and they went 7-9 with one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does he get to play the same schedule that the Colts played?

Cam Newton has a great defense and very good running game. Didn't seem to help him avoid throwing 2 picks, which really should have been 4.

I really don't understand the argument that a QB has to throw 50 times a game to be considered good. That argument makes sense for fantasy football. Not so much for actual football.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why this is Seattle's last year of winning a Super bowl. They have to cut Lynch and will lose others . Window is closing.

They are likely going to let Lynch go. He will be a 30 year old running back getting 7.5 million next year. I doubt they will accept that. Other than him, who are the other players they are going to lose next season? Wagner is still on the books for another year. So is Bruce Irvin. Sherman, Thomas, Avril and Bennett all signed new deals this year.

Eventually they will need to make some tough choices but next year doesn't look like it will be that year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have every bit of confidence in Schneider (and Carroll for that matter) to make this team a contender for a long long time.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Wilson's 2015 Cap Hit number will be very large when they re-negotiate, even if they do make him the highest paid QB in the league.
He is signed for next year already, it is just the first time the team can negotiate with him due to the CBA rookie-contract agreements.
His cap hit in 2016, when the cap will have gone up again, will be very large.
For comparison, Colin Kaepernick's cap hit in 2014 was $3,767,444. in 2015 it becomes $15,265,753.
All that said to state that his contract is not going to hurt them in a significant way, next year, as evidenced by all of the long-term signings/extensions they have already made.
I wouldn't be at all stunned if Lynch is still a Seahawk next year, unless he decides to retire.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to dismiss this article, but at the same time, I remember what guys like Dalton and Cutler got... It's going to be massive being so young, that much is a pretty good bet.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well you can re-watch the Atlanta playoff game from 2 years ago to see him in a situation where the defense wasn't good. Threw for 385 yards and brought his team back from being 20 down in the 4th quarter. Several games this year you can see him generating offense with low output from Lynch. Yesterday is probably the most recent one.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree what makes Wilson who he is, is that he doesn't make the big mistake. He lets the D win the game and he doesn't lose it. Great game manager.

Calling Wilson a game manage at this point is beyond ridiculous... Every QB has to manage a game at some level, but certain QB's step up when it counts, and make things happen... Wilson is one of those guy's ... How can a PURE game manager lead his team to the most wins ever in his first 3 seasons plus a Super Bowl title ?? That's crazy talk dude... Seattle was 7-9 the year prior to Wilson... Is it just that hard to accept ? I realize were your rival but common man...

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purguy is a Niner fan. He is just saying that stuff to get the Hawks fans riled up.
We don't know about Lynch. His back may be what determines if he plays next season. And I think its all up to him. Does he want to stay or go. The team has plenty of salary cap space to pay Wilson and others and Lynch is still under contract next year. It is wishful thinking that the Seahawks are going to somehow fall apart.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by purguy12 View Post

Calling Wilson a game manage at this point is beyond ridiculous... Every QB has to manage a game at some level, but certain QB's step up when it counts, and make things happen... Wilson is one of those guy's ... How can a PURE game manager lead his team to the most wins ever in his first 3 seasons plus a Super Bowl title ?? That's crazy talk dude... Seattle was 7-9 the year prior to Wilson... Is it just that hard to accept ? I realize were your rival but common man...

I wouldnt waste anymore time on it. If people choose to base their opinion of Wilson on Lynch and a good defense and not by his play that is their fault.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Wilson's a good QB and slowly becoming 1 of the best in the game but no way should be the highest paid QB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Wilson's a good QB and slowly becoming 1 of the best in the game but no way should be the highest paid QB.

He wouldn't be if all the other top QBs were also getting new contacts, but that's now how this works. He's been among the lowest paid starting QBs the last 3 seasons as well. He should definitely be closer to the top than the bottom of that scale.