• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks to Make Russell Wilson Highest-Paid Quarterback

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only mentioned it because it also doesn't make sense to let RW walk. This thread is dumb. Every team faces the challenges of paying their best players. So what.

If the choice comes down to letting Wilson walk or making him the highest paid QB in the league, it could definitely be in Seattle's best long term interests to choose the former.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. It's also why in the salary cap era you can't keep great teams together.

The salary cap is the biggest problem. The next is your team gets raided for free agents and coaches. Last season Seattle weathered that storm really well. Nagging injuries to key players can also derail a team. (Arizona).

The only way a team can stay near the top long term is thru the draft and having some very good talent evaluators. Very few teams have a great draft every season. You gotta pick well with a bit of luck.

But to get there in the first place, most of the time you need a franchise quarterback. Seattle has one. Every team still in the playoffs has a franchise quarterback. Almost all of them are getting paid a whole lot of money.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the choice comes down to letting Wilson walk or making him the highest paid QB in the league, it could definitely be in Seattle's best long term interests to choose the former.

Please, you obviously don't watch much of Seattle's games. It would only be in the long term interest of the rest of the league!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice lol

Typical Seattle fans.

Can't stay on topic so they bring up the Saints in response to my comments ABOUT THE ACTUAL THREAD TOPIC

:clap:

About 90% of these threads include discourse that isn't strictly about the thread topic, so gimme a break.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying Russ doesn't deserve tier one money? Since the salary cap goes up every year, the highest paid QB will always be the last one to get Tier 1 money. Considering Flacco and Cutler got it, it is pretty tough to argue Russ shouldn't.

I disagree. I think those two getting it is a perfect argument why Russ shouldn't. If you are going to put those names out, then tell me if either of those teams are thrilled with the amount they owe their QB.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I think those two getting it is a perfect argument why Russ shouldn't. If you are going to put those names out, then tell me if either of those teams are thrilled with the amount they owe their QB.

Its 50/50. Flacco wins. Cutler, not so much but his team is a disaster.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seattle should franchise him, save a little money.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to maintain teams during the salary cap era. Seattle has had a good three year run. Even with a contract extension for him this off season the cap hit will likely be low the first year or two and rise up in year 3. So basically a year window which is still impressive in this era. Just means they have to keep drafting well to supplement the secondary pieces they lose. They still have 10 or their 11 starters on defense signed through next year.

Even so having if having a ring and potentially having a second one causes a higher contract then he's worth so be it. As a fan you take that trade off every day of the week.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People said the exact same thing about the Ravens and Flacco. They were wrong, too.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is this is a good problem to have. The Browns, Jags, Titans, Raiders, etc. would love to have to figure something like this out.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People said the exact same thing about the Ravens and Flacco. They were wrong, too.

Not as if there is definitive evidence one way or the other, is there? Ravens have gone 19-14 including last week's playoff win since Flacco signed his deal. Should we at least wait and see what happens today before claiming to know whether that was or was not a good move by the Ravens?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man has been grossly underpaid the last 3 years.... It's yet to be determined if he's the highest paid QB .. We'll see ... He's the best QB we've ever had in Seattle .. He's fun to watch for sure... Funny how people think because he doesn't put up HUGE yardage numbers that he's not elite... The guy comes through when it counts... It's not his fault Seattle is a run first team... Also people saying we can't afford to sign key players, we already locked up most of our defensive players... This is why you have to continue to work the draft, and keep lower paid guy's on your roster... Makes the draft that much more important...

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will doubt Russell Wilson cause they don't know much about football other than stats. When their defense is trying to contain him an they spend the entire game screaming "get that sucker", they will slowly and painfully become believers.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep none of us know anything about football.....

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Peyton have all had tier one deals as well. The reason I threw out those two was specifically to demonstrate how many maxish QB contracts there are. I threw out the worst two I could think of.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep none of us know anything about football.....

Clarify WHAT you mean? Curious bskballer, have you EVER coached football. Not flag or touch or peewee. Have you EVER coached at the MS/HS/College/Semi-Pro level. It does make a difference.

What extent is YOUR football playing/coaching knowledge?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Click bait article. Nothing definitive in there from either the Hawks, or from Wilson's camp.

The Schneider FO has yet to write a contract that has hamstrung the team, or that they couldn't get out of after a few years, and I don't expect Wilson's to be any different.

But it will be for a boatload of money.
Article comes out just before our playoff game?

Not biting. No rush.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no........and even if that was true, it has kept Seattle from winning in what way?

are you blind? how is that not true where ranked dead last in the league in passing