• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks sign CB

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have signed Cary Williams from the Eagles.

Looks like probably a low money/low risk move. Essentally a swap between the Seahawks and Eagles with Maxwell for Williams.

It will be interesting to see how he performs for the Seahawks. The Eagles secondary was much maligned. If he can perform anywhere near Maxwell on a contract that is probably 20% or less of the cost then it will show the benefit of PC's coaching, the system being used, and playing up to a secondary being surrounded by All-Pros.

If he fails and Maxwell excels then it will show that the LOB is built on individual talent more than scheme.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but it could be an interesting study.

He is 6'1". 190#, so decent size. 30 year old. Former 7th round pick out of Washburn. No contract details yet.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play bump and run if it's man to man or cover 3. Sure we've got the individual talent, but the LOB is a total group effort to get the job done. Everyone has a role.

Think he's a good fit for the Seahawks D as a starter for the #2 CB and he's got the length that PC likes at these positions. I have 0 confidence in Simon staying healthy or getting the job done consistently as the #2 opposite Sherman, so very happy with this signing.

Chip Kelly doesn't put much effort in his defenses. Maxwell will be paid extremely well and part of that paycheck will be to be one of the fall guys for Chips lack of attention to defense.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they can coach him up? ...because Cary Williams is terrible. He's among one of the worst at giving up catches and tds year by year.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they can coach him up? ...because Cary Williams is terrible. He's among one of the worst at giving up catches and tds year by year.

For as bad as he may be... The Ravens were going strong after him two years after he left them.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, supposedly the Williams deal is for 3 years and 18 million, with 0 signing bonus? Not sure that makes sense, but that's what's being reported.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a $7M cap hit in 2015? Wow, they must really think this guy can play.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a $7M cap hit in 2015? Wow, they must really think this guy can play.

Maybe the difference of being a CB in a strong secondary and being a CB in a weak one. Cary Williams was ranked #49 among CBs while Maxwell was only 45th (PFF). So, this may be a look at what Seattle offered Maxwell.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the difference of being a CB in a strong secondary and being a CB in a weak one. Cary Williams was ranked #49 among CBs while Maxwell was only 45th (PFF). So, this may be a look at what Seattle offered Maxwell.
Could be. But I wonder how much of that ranking is a product of Seattle opponents preferring to throw on Maxwell instead of Sherman, while maybe Philly's threw away from Cary Williams if he was their #1 guy.

If we had re-signed Maxwell for what we are reportedly going to pay Cary Williams, I think we would all be celebrating. Right now, I'm moving toward a head scratch.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect us to draft at least 1 CB in the mid to late rounds.
No sign bone for CW? There must be one, otherwise why sign with us? If he doesn't make the final cut down he would end up with an air biscuit. I don't get it:noidea:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect us to draft at least 1 CB in the mid to late rounds.
No sign bone for CW? There must be one, otherwise why sign with us? If he doesn't make the final cut down he would end up with an air biscuit. I don't get it:noidea:

Neither do I, I'm guessing that there is a signing bonus and the reported salaries are actually cap hits.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as bad as he may be... The Ravens were going strong after him two years after he left them.

The Ravens have hot buttered dog crap at the position currently. I wouldn't read too much into that.

So, supposedly the Williams deal is for 3 years and 18 million, with 0 signing bonus? Not sure that makes sense, but that's what's being reported.

Wow...I'll wait until confirmed numbers come out, but that's a bit shocking. Williams is an okay corner who should be "good enough" in our system, but...wow. That's a chunk of change.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust PC and JS.... but man I dont like Williams, he was constantly getting burned in Philly..... I guess he never had any help from an Earl Thomas, but dang, you think he would eventually win atleast one one on one.....

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not a fan of this deal at all. I would rather throw 7 mil at Andre Johnson or Mike Iupati and address the CB position via free agency.

Not only is Cary Williams among one of the worst ranked CBs from year to year (although 2014 he upgraded to average!). He also has a volatile personality. He's gotten into fights in Baltimore and in Philly. He has openly criticized Chip Kelly and been vocal about everything else he doesn't like.

There's a reason why this guy got cut.

When we picked him up I cringed but thought eh maybe a 2-3 mil deal and see if he can compete for the position. Sure zero signing bonus means we can cut him, but this eliminates any type of cap space we have to pursue anyone else. That is unless we are deciding not to resign Russ and Wagner this off season (which would be insane).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cary Williams is a talented player IMO he just had a crappy defense in Philly. He'll be asked to play a different role here.

That said, I don't like the signing because Cary's got an attitude problem. He's a 'toned down' Percy Harvin on defense.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I've vented my frustrations let me rationalize the move

If it is true that this is 0 guaranteed then it means the Seahawks see potential in him, but are also aware of the potential baggage and have given themselves an exit door

Also, while Cary Williams does have a propensity to get burned, he is naturally talented and is a play maker. Maybe Pete and John feel like LOB can mask his flaws and they can unleash him utilizing his strengths and his strengths only.

He's also a good and aggressive tackler.

And our other option Tramon Williams, who I liked in previous years, was burned pretty badly in 2014 as well giving up a career high 10 tds.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Walter Thurmond was ever in play and how much he is going to command?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reported Jimmy Graham and a 4th rounder to Seattle for Unger and a 1st rounder

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dislike this move. I swear to God come OTA's if he can't show up for them because he has to go find more sconces for his house or has any excuses, I'm flying out there and smacking him upside the head.