• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks inconsistent offense

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Giants now own the #2 seed. They're 8-3. Fortunately they have the Steelers, Cowboys, Lions, Eagles, and Redskins left on their schedule. All playoff contending teams.
Actually the Seahawks hold the second seed as division winners vs wildcard.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. To be #2 seed you have to have the division - which the Giants don't. So, because they are a wild card team - they would have to play all their playoff games on the road. Giants have the second best record right now, but Seattle is the #2 seed. Weird, but probably plays out differently by the time the playoffs come along.

:doh: You're completely right. Can't believe I forgot about that. Been off the hoop for too long. That or too much whiskey today...or not enough whiskey? Haha

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our OL was incredibly poor. The Bucs rushed 4 for most of the game and were in the pocket almost immediately everytime.

That isn't an excuse for Russ who played poorly. But the OL was about as bad as you can get.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Giants now own the #2 seed. They're 8-3. Fortunately they have the Steelers, Cowboys, Lions, Eagles, and Redskins left on their schedule. All playoff contending teams.

You are incorrect on several levels. The Giants own the #5 seed right now. You can't be the 2 seed as a 2nd place team.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before and yesterday once again confirms that Sowell is terrible. TERRIBLE!

There were plays yesterday where one of those inflatable tackling dummies would have been nearly as effective. We watched (and re-watched) one play where Wilson was sacked (which doesn't narrow it down) that Sowell literally watched the DE run around him. Never even touched him. Our O-line has major problems but Sowell is in a category of his own when it comes to ineptitude.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a lot of games where Wilson takes unnecessary sacks. Yesterday wasn't one of them. He wasn't moving in to pressure or holding the ball too long, the pressure was just in his face immediately.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our OL was incredibly poor. The Bucs rushed 4 for most of the game and were in the pocket almost immediately everytime.

That isn't an excuse for Russ who played poorly. But the OL was about as bad as you can get.
Russell was definitely off like we have rarely ever seen, especially with the downfield stuff.....not worried at all about him though. The line's poor play -- how much to attribute to Britt being out? That unit probably more than any other on the team depends on continuity and chemistry between the parts. They got dominated in the first half and just seemed completely lost.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was Gilliam benched? Sowell was atrocious.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was Gilliam benched? Sowell was atrocious.

No one seemed to have a good game yesterday - but, I don't know why Gilliam himself was the one that was benched. Fant struggled for much of the game. Ifedi was once against lost. Hunt was about what you could expect from your rookie center seeing his first action. The best that can be said about Glowinski is that I can't remember hearing his name more than once.

I have been the one who has thought the line has played much better this season, and has gotten better as the season went - but yesterday's game was like watching the game last year against the Rams. I just don't know why they played like they did when they have been playing so much better than that against much better defensive fronts. We'll just have to see if this was the anomaly, or if this is what we get to look forward to moving forward.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we remember how broken the OL was last year before Patrick Lewis stepped in, I think we can see how the loss of Britt really hurt us more than we expected.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we remember how broken the OL was last year before Patrick Lewis stepped in, I think we can see how the loss of Britt really hurt us more than we expected.

Yeah, people talk about how important a good LT is, but it's rarely discussed how important a good center is.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, people talk about how important a good LT is, but it's rarely discussed how important a good center is.

This is even more important when you have an inexperienced line and the C is calling out the protections.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There has also been discussions the past few years about the diluted options along the OL coming out of college... It's definitely not what it use to be, which makes it tougher to hit a homerun in the draft...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Taijuan Walker to get Okung back. That's how bad we need a left tackle.

Seriously, the Cowboys have drafted like 3 all pros on their line. We can't even get a competent starter. I don't know if it's the philosophy or if Pete and Schneider just don't know how to scout offensive line but we literally have not hit on a singe offensive linemen in the draft in years.

Were you trying to be funny? The Mariners traded Taijuan last week... :-)

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wonder if this will be the year that forces Carroll and Schneider to finally change their philosophy when it comes to paying offensive linemen. They've had the same philosophy for most of their time here and thanks to the defense, Lynch's ability to run people over/drag people with him for long distances and Wilson's ability to escape damaging hits, they'd been able to get away with it up til this season. They haven't gotten away with it again this year.

This year, Wilson has had two leg injuries for most of the season and is just now looking like his old self and the running game, save for one good game from Michael and one good game from Prosise before he got hurt, has been almost non-existent. And, of course, yesterday featured three rookies starting on the offensive line, which is almost never a good sign. The front office has been playing with fire with their money allocation philosophy and even if, statistically, this year's offensive line has been better than last year's was to this point, that philosophy has finally come back to burn them. They've gotta change it. The injuries to Wilson, more than anything, should have sealed that deal in their minds.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my cheap seat, I think that the Seahawks are hell bent on trying to have the best defense in the NFL. Once a staff does something like that other parts suffer. Like the offensive line. If they try to change direction too fast, it becomes chaos.

Trying to draft for one position is also a dangerous road. If you draft a LT because you need an LT, you'll over analyze and blow a first round draft pick. That and trading up to get a "can't miss" line man is crap shoot.

The Patriots do just the opposite and draft linemen that have been seriously hurt in college. Bring them in, go to camp and then IR them for a year to get them properly trained and hopefully ready for year two. 50% of the time it blows up in their face.

I think the Seahawks bench may be a bit thin and that can be a killer. If the guy starting knows that the guy backing him up can't play to his level, he doesn't have to do much to keep his job, no matter how badly he plays.
What does a coach do? He keeps the guy playing badly unless he gets hurt. It's a vicious circle.

Who makes the drafting decisions in Seattle? Carroll? Or do they have a GM or someone else who does the draft?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wonder if this will be the year that forces Carroll and Schneider to finally change their philosophy when it comes to paying offensive linemen. They've had the same philosophy for most of their time here and thanks to the defense, Lynch's ability to run people over/drag people with him for long distances and Wilson's ability to escape damaging hits, they'd been able to get away with it up til this season. They haven't gotten away with it again this year.

This year, Wilson has had two leg injuries for most of the season and is just now looking like his old self and the running game, save for one good game from Michael and one good game from Prosise before he got hurt, has been almost non-existent. And, of course, yesterday featured three rookies starting on the offensive line, which is almost never a good sign. The front office has been playing with fire with their money allocation philosophy and even if, statistically, this year's offensive line has been better than last year's was to this point, that philosophy has finally come back to burn them. They've gotta change it. The injuries to Wilson, more than anything, should have sealed that deal in their minds.
I think you also have to wonder if much of this is just overreaction Monday stuff. None of this type talk has happened to any measurable degree for WEEKS. One bad game on the road with 3 rookies starting (including the debut for Hunt) and now this just may be a philosophy lesson for our braintrust? I really, really doubt it. I think it's much more likely we look back on this game in a month or so as an outlier performance. Similar to the Saints game.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you also have to wonder if much of this is just overreaction Monday stuff. None of this type talk has happened to any measurable degree for WEEKS. One bad game on the road with 3 rookies starting (including the debut for Hunt) and now this just may be a philosophy lesson for our braintrust? I really, really doubt it. I think it's much more likely we look back on this game in a month or so as an outlier performance. Similar to the Saints game.

Carroll made a great point today as well... He mentioned how much more Ifedi learned from the game from not having Britt by his side... All Ifedi has played with so far is Britt... He mentioned that Britt has been his leader out there and his presence was missed a lot, when discussing Ifedi... Carroll said that Ifedi will be a better player because of this but also said that he prefers his players not learn this way...

Carroll is always an optimist, which is why players enjoy playing for him... He's always finding positive things in all situations, which is what makes him a great coach to play for... He's always coaching/teaching...

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't know so much if it's an "overreaction," but I will say that after yesterday, changes should be made ASAP.

They say there were injuries, but the sad fact is, every team has to contend with that. It didn't make our line any different. And in the event of injury, it's up to everyone to step up their play, not just whoever is playing in the hurt man's place. We had our replacements yesterday, but no one even knew HOW to step up, otherwise, Wilson would not have had so much pressure on him, and we'd have had a few better plays.

But yesterday was sheer humiliation, and they really do have themselves to blame. Now to put heads together and figure out a better game plan for this weak-ass line. You wanna stay in contention, that's what you have to do, people!