• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Brooks Fired

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really can't blame this season on him, so why didn't they fire him after last season? Was someone they have lined up not available then?
They do have someone lined up, right? You don't pull the trigger on this without a clue.

How is this going to effect Durant and Westbrook wanting to stay in OKC during the next couple of offseasons?
Durant seemed pretty bummed about Brooks being out, which changes his free agency situation after next season. If he doesn't have good karma with the next coach, I can see him leaving OKC and going to a place that would respect him more.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had .620 win percentage. Injuries the last couple of years derailed the Thunder, not his coaching.
Give me durant, Westbrook, ibaka, and harden for half the tenure, and I bet you I can win 62% of the games has OKC head coach as well. Brooks is an average head coach that OKC hung onto for too long. They should've fired him a while ago. He's not the only problem though, the front office is also pretty terrible. They got lucky in a few drafts, but now those pieces are leaving for greener pastures because OKC can't bring in quality vets or role players.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me durant, Westbrook, ibaka, and harden for half the tenure, and I bet you I can win 62% of the games has OKC head coach as well. Brooks is an average head coach that OKC hung onto for too long. They should've fired him a while ago. He's not the only problem though, the front office is also pretty terrible. They got lucky in a few drafts, but now those pieces are leaving for greener pastures because OKC can't bring in quality vets or role players.
Exactly what coach is available for the Thunder - that is any better?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it thibideau will be fired after the playoffs. A lot of people are high on Freddy hoiberg out of Iowa state (I'm not sure he's still coveted after the early tourney exit though). I think Avery Johnson would give up his gig at Alabama to coach Durant and Westbrook. There's probably a few im missing as well.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it thibideau will be fired after the playoffs. A lot of people are high on Freddy hoiberg out of Iowa state (I'm not sure he's still coveted after the early tourney exit though). I think Avery Johnson would give up his gig at Alabama to coach Durant and Westbrook. There's probably a few im missing as well.
So far I haven't heard any names with a proven track record worthy of being called better than Brooks. Personally I never was high on him, but I think he did a pretty decent job considering that the OKC screwed up royally when they let both Harden and Perkins leave.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I haven't heard any names with a proven track record worthy of being called better than Brooks. Personally I never was high on him, but I think he did a pretty decent job considering that the OKC screwed up royally when they let both Harden and Perkins leave.
I would put all three at least on par with Brooks. I'd rate them all above Brooks actually because they have done it with less talented teams and have a better track record than Brooks outside of OKC. OKC was Brooks first job head coaching and he benefitted from it. Brooks just backed into the job of coaching an elite team and for some reason hasn't been fired yet.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No names have been mentioned but a few reporters have suggested guys with current jobs are interested. So really, there could be almost anyone available to them

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No names have been mentioned but a few reporters have suggested guys with current jobs are interested. So really, there could be almost anyone available to them

I think some of you missed my question. I was asking who is out there that has proven to be better? Here is a hint: There aren't any
I would put all three at least on par with Brooks. I'd rate them all above Brooks actually because they have done it with less talented teams and have a better track record than Brooks outside of OKC. OKC was Brooks first job head coaching and he benefitted from it. Brooks just backed into the job of coaching an elite team and for some reason hasn't been fired yet.
My next question is why? What have they done to demonstrate that they are on par with Brooks? For the record - doing a great job at the collegiate level is not the same as the NBA level. That is not proof that they are on par

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of you missed my question. I was asking who is out there that has proven to be better? Here is a hint: There aren't any
They could hire Larry Brown away from SMU. He's been proven better. But he has also proven he will only be around for 2-3 years before he bolts for somewhere else. May be a good fit as OKC's window may not be much bigger than that.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance coach K would leave Duke? Coming off another NC this might be a good time to get him. Coached KD and Westbrook in the Olymipcs and has a good relationship with them.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance coach K would leave Duke? Coming off another NC this might be a good time to get him. Coached KD and Westbrook in the Olymipcs and has a good relationship with them.
Coach K would be foolish to leave Duke. He's got the keys to the castle and can do no wrong. I think if he wanted to test the NBA he would have done it before now. Though this would be a good opportunity for him, I just can not see him leaving.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach K would be foolish to leave Duke. He's got the keys to the castle and can do no wrong. I think if he wanted to test the NBA he would have done it before now. Though this would be a good opportunity for him, I just can not see him leaving.
Yeah. Why give up a dynasty where you are basically worshiped by the students? Plus, the court is freaking named after him. Also, college head coaching careers are more solid than NBA careers, where if you make the playoffs but lose, you are out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could hire Larry Brown away from SMU. He's been proven better. But he has also proven he will only be around for 2-3 years before he bolts for somewhere else. May be a good fit as OKC's window may not be much bigger than that.

If I'm OKC, he's my first and hopefully last call.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see Coach K leaving Duke. I heard an interview with him on Dan Patrick awhile back where he said that when Phil left the Lakers a few years ago, the Lakers made a very strong run at him. Apparently, he came very close to becoming their coach (Kobe was lobbying for him big time). He has said that once he decided against coaching the Lakers, it also ended any interest he had in the NBA.

If I'm OKC though, I at least make a phone call, especially if I can't get Larry Brown. Sometimes guys change their mind, although Coach K has been pretty steadfast.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think its gonna be Billy Donovan.

He and Presti are old friends... apparently Presti has hired several people from Donovan's staff over the years.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think its gonna be Billy Donovan.

He and Presti are old friends... apparently Presti has hired several people from Donovan's staff over the years.

Unproven at the NBA level, but definitely worth giving him a shot. Especially with the existing relationship.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unproven at the NBA level, but definitely worth giving him a shot. Especially with the existing relationship.
I would be wary going after someone with no NBA talent for success at the college level. It is not the same game and is definitely not the same job. There have been more memorable big name failures than successes going from college to the pros. Not saying it couldn't work, but it is risky.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be wary going after someone with no NBA talent for success at the college level. It is not the same game and is definitely not the same job. There have been more memorable big name failures than successes going from college to the pros. Not saying it couldn't work, but it is risky.

Yeah, seems to be 50/50 on the college to NBA success. You have guys like Calipari and Pitino who failed and guys like Brown who've seen success at both levels and Stevens who seems to be doing a great job in Boston. Unfortunately, the only way to find out which one Donovan would be is to hire him and find out.

Whoever they hire, OKC needs to get this right. If they hire the wrong coach and end up losing both KD and Westbrook, it could be several years before they are relevant again.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem hiring Billy Donovan at all but if they are going to go that route I would rather have Bill Self. He's from Oklahoma and a better players coach.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Brown is a good coach, but isn't there an age factor? In addition he has a long history of not staying in one place. He doesn't play well with upper management. I am not convinced that any of the coaches mentioned can do any better than what Brooks has done.