• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saudi Arabia has bought the WWE

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean that the Iron Sheik and Hulk Hogan will be coming out of retirement, but this time with Sheik as the face and Hogan as the heel?

It would be better than any womens match since maybe jan 2021

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very real chance they spin off espn and let it go public itself
Could very well, but I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could very well, but I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole.

I’m not sure it makes espn a viable buyer if they do that

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US companies selling to foreign nations are a travesty. Especially to China, Saudi, etc. Fuck those shitty leaders. Fuck greedy pricks.
Companies like WWE selling to them isn’t an issue. It is all of big conglomerates that purchase land that then sell to them in much worse that Saudi being the financial backer. MBS is a “progressive” leader. No idea how it would turn out but he is kinda of the ideal leader we all want for a ME dictator.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure it makes espn a viable buyer if they do that
No, because ESPN wouldn’t have a distribution platform. ESPN has to be apart of Disney because Disney has ABC to air sporting events on cable. If Disney can finally kick out ESPN like they have been trying to, ESPN dies because with all of the contracts they have they can’t put it on ESPN plus. Hence why the NFL just signed a decade long deal making sure they are getting billions while the market figures out who wins between streaming vs cable.

A massive major play that wouldn’t happen would be for Vince to buy ESPN from Disney then NBCUniversal purchases WWE. Would make Disney the 4th streaming service and essentially torpedo Disney because they’d have to put adds in all of their movies and shows on Disney plus.

NBCUniversal has to purchase them. They are about to pay a billion a year for tv rights to WWE, so instead a billion a year, they buy it for 8 billion, get all of their IP for their theme parks and have easy content on their streaming service and instantly they will over take Netflix. As much as Vince talks about there is a small window, well there it because we have Disney, Netflix, Amazon. And Paramount. Paramount and Disney are in financial trouble, Amazon or Netflix would be a solid buyer, They could but it would involve Vince, or Steph or HHH running the company for 5 years because neither company has any sense of how to keep it going and they would be the one purchasing it until when Turner Media purchased WCW then appointed tools to run it.

So it is either NBC Universal for the overpay or Saudi. I know Endevor has been brought up but they make money off of PPV’s and a deal with ESPN but they are going to be cut soon because they are spending way too much on money rights for college football and basketball and the NFL. They pay all of this money which and sells won’t recoup their investment and by contract they can’t put big games on ESPN plus. If ESPN were smart they’d put them on ESPN plus but cut massive deals for bars or any place that the southerners can watch it.

Fox is going to be the new ESPN, but they don’t have a legit app to make it worth it. But the whole who buys WWE is the same argument I made in 2011 with the Pac 12 conference with Netflix. Own the content so you can make reality shows, show legit tailgating, scripted programming that doesn’t turn into a match. The IP makes universal studios viable again, they’d get all the marketing and advertising dollars. But biggest issue with NBC is they have no idea how to tour and with them the whole independent contractor is probably going bye bye and wrestlers have to join SAG which will kill wrestling.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, because ESPN wouldn’t have a distribution platform. ESPN has to be apart of Disney because Disney has ABC to air sporting events on cable. If Disney can finally kick out ESPN like they have been trying to, ESPN dies because with all of the contracts they have they can’t put it on ESPN plus. Hence why the NFL just signed a decade long deal making sure they are getting billions while the market figures out who wins between streaming vs cable.

A massive major play that wouldn’t happen would be for Vince to buy ESPN from Disney then NBCUniversal purchases WWE. Would make Disney the 4th streaming service and essentially torpedo Disney because they’d have to put adds in all of their movies and shows on Disney plus.

NBCUniversal has to purchase them. They are about to pay a billion a year for tv rights to WWE, so instead a billion a year, they buy it for 8 billion, get all of their IP for their theme parks and have easy content on their streaming service and instantly they will over take Netflix. As much as Vince talks about there is a small window, well there it because we have Disney, Netflix, Amazon. And Paramount. Paramount and Disney are in financial trouble, Amazon or Netflix would be a solid buyer, They could but it would involve Vince, or Steph or HHH running the company for 5 years because neither company has any sense of how to keep it going and they would be the one purchasing it until when Turner Media purchased WCW then appointed tools to run it.

So it is either NBC Universal for the overpay or Saudi. I know Endevor has been brought up but they make money off of PPV’s and a deal with ESPN but they are going to be cut soon because they are spending way too much on money rights for college football and basketball and the NFL. They pay all of this money which and sells won’t recoup their investment and by contract they can’t put big games on ESPN plus. If ESPN were smart they’d put them on ESPN plus but cut massive deals for bars or any place that the southerners can watch it.

Fox is going to be the new ESPN, but they don’t have a legit app to make it worth it. But the whole who buys WWE is the same argument I made in 2011 with the Pac 12 conference with Netflix. Own the content so you can make reality shows, show legit tailgating, scripted programming that doesn’t turn into a match. The IP makes universal studios viable again, they’d get all the marketing and advertising dollars. But biggest issue with NBC is they have no idea how to tour and with them the whole independent contractor is probably going bye bye and wrestlers have to join SAG which will kill wrestling.

Well said. Saudi’s are most likely to overpay and then I think they’d just flip the switch for the wwe network back on in the us.

Or, short term, it says on peacock. If they breach the saudis can probably bury them in a lawsuit

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Names some of the interested parties

Endeavor (owns UFC), Liberty Media (owns F1, Atlanta Braves, various other things), the Saudis, and a private equity group with "well known names in the sport"

Some are speculating that private equity groups is Tony Khan but I would bet its The Rock. He himself doesn't have the money for it but I could easily see him being the face of a group of large investors.

Interestingly, Farber says Comcast (which owns NBC, USA network, Peacock) is NOT interested.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UFC makes some sense. Definitely some obvious synergies. Though I fear it may hurt the brand identity of the UFC. The Rock as the face of a group could be interesting as well. If Rock were interested, he could step in using a cross of the McMahon and HHH gimmicks of the last 15 years or so. Obvious feud potential with HHH.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Endeavor (owns UFC), Liberty Media (owns F1, Atlanta Braves, various other things), the Saudis, and a private equity group with "well known names in the sport"

Some are speculating that private equity groups is Tony Khan but I would bet its The Rock. He himself doesn't have the money for it but I could easily see him being the face of a group of large investors.

Interestingly, Farber says Comcast (which owns NBC, USA network, Peacock) is NOT interested.

Liberty is spinning off the Braves so curious if that makes them more or less likely

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UFC makes some sense. Definitely some obvious synergies. Though I fear it may hurt the brand identity of the UFC. The Rock as the face of a group could be interesting as well. If Rock were interested, he could step in using a cross of the McMahon and HHH gimmicks of the last 15 years or so. Obvious feud potential with HHH.

The rock a few years ago would’ve been a great choice

Now that he’s gone soy, I’d prefer khan.

But the saudis would 100% put out the best product of the bunch

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rock a few years ago would’ve been a great choice

Now that he’s gone soy, I’d prefer khan.

But the saudis would 100% put out the best product of the bunch
Rock is probably more invested in getting the XFL to work.
Doubt TK would have the money available to buy it but stranger things have happened.
Saudi’s wouldn’t surprise me one bit.
Don't know enough about the other group to say either way.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Rock's familial legacy, mainstream appeal and Attitude Era cred would make him the ideal face of an eventual sale. That would be the best case scenario..

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rock's familial legacy, mainstream appeal and Attitude Era cred would make him the ideal face of an eventual sale. That would be the best case scenario..

A few years ago I would’ve been there with you

But he’s not attitude era anymore

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HHH was also from AE, and he's failed to do anything that's all that different from what vince and this on-going PG era is .

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would Tony Khan be able to purchase it right now with the whole anti trust?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is Khan, will they do a similar scene as we saw back in 2000 with WWE/WCW?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Tony Khan be able to purchase it right now with the whole anti trust?

I was gonna bring this up next

Aew
ROH
Wwe

Seems unlikely

Despite the options in other countries I can’t see it flying