• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sam Howell

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Howell is it.

I like him, but I am not sold on him. I think this team needs an identity. Howell is regressing and his decision making is highly concerning.
Thank you, sir!

I believe that you are the third person to indicate that "Howell is regressing" but I'm not sure about that. When researching Howell before and after he was drafted, I recall that his decision-making... inability to not run into sacks, and other limitations were part of his QBing DNA. I'll have to go back and look at some of that to confirm it though.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you, sir!

I believe that you are the third person to indicate that "Howell is regressing" but I'm not sure about that. When researching Howell before and after he was drafted, I recall that his decision-making... inability to not run into sacks, and other limitations were part of his QBing DNA. I'll have to go back and look at some of that to confirm it though.

i said he was regressing and i got called out for it. FWIW a better oline he would be playing alot better. Im leaning towards Howell staying.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stick with Howell and forget about the shiny new toys that are overhyped .
Howell is regressing because the team is quitting s and he has to do everything
I don't believe that Howell is regressing at all.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said he was regressing and i got called out for it. FWIW a better oline he would be playing alot better. Im leaning towards Howell staying.
Sorry, that happened to you!

That said, we can no longer afford to live with suppositions. Real cultural change requires NFL teams to deal with reason, rationale, and moves that are limited in risk because you eliminate such supposition and actually upgrade the product on the field. Was Mark Rypien an all-world QB or did he benefit from rarely being touched during the 1991 season? Hopefully, all of you guys who are posting this nonsense about improved play because of an improved OL are aware that this is what you're asking for.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, that happened to you!

That said, we can no longer afford to live with suppositions. Real cultural change requires NFL teams to deal with reason, rationale, and moves that are limited in risk because you eliminate such supposition and actually upgrade the product on the field. Was Mark Rypien an all-world QB or did he benefit from rarely being touched during the 1991 season? Hopefully, all of you guys who are posting this nonsense about improved play because of an improved OL are aware that this is what you're asking for.

Rypien was a product of the system and the oline.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam has not disappointed me, in fact, he has become, and currently is, exactly what I said he'll be... an average starter in the NFL.

Believe it or not guys (and lady if she's still around) It is probable and highly likely that there are those here who see his play as impressive enough after having to witness, in comparison, Carson Wentz, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Taylor Heinicke.

Hope is a wonderful thing, and perhaps Sam will become that exception to the rule, but you'd better plan for the real possibility that he is what he currently is and projected to be.

1701723602560.png1701723634971.png1701723695154.png

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rypien was a product of the system and the oline.
Correct!!! Say it again and again as you think about what you and some here are asking for... a better system and Oline for him (Howell) to operate in!!

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally no reason whatsoever to draft a qb in the first round.

None.

Not just because Howell is fine, which is not up for debate, but also because the oline is in complete shambles.

You’d just as easily waste the first year of rookie qb’s eligibility behind the sieve we currently have as wasting Howell’s third year.

That’s not logical.

The better move is sign and draft 4 players for the Oline, including Alt or Olu whatever, and at least help Howell develop, or reach his cieling, or flame out.

Then, when you draft his replacement, you’ll at least have an adequate oline.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup! Absolutely!
My top choices are Penix or Daniels, (Williams is going first) not because I've done a lot of research and I believe that they are the best of the bunch but apparently because I'm a racist.

I am with you on Daniels but disagree with PeniX. While I do not want Daniels in round 1, I would not be disappointed.

Biased not racist.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally no reason whatsoever to draft a qb in the first round.

None.

Not just because Howell is fine, which is not up for debate, but also because the oline is in complete shambles.

You’d just as easily waste the first year of rookie qb’s eligibility behind the sieve we currently have as wasting Howell’s third year.

That’s not logical.

The better move is sign and draft 4 players for the Oline, including Alt or Olu whatever, and at least help Howell develop, or reach his cieling, or flame out.

Then, when you draft his replacement, you’ll at least have an adequate oline.
I've presented several reasons why they should draft a QB in the first round.

Valid reasons

I've also conceded to the notion that Sam is a starter in the league, in fact, I challenge anyone who says that he isn't.

Washington's biggest challenge since forever has been failing to get a definitive answer at QB. Getting that definitive answer will be the top priority of the new regime.

It is illogical to continue forward without having "that guy" at QB.

The rookie QB would be sitting while Sam runs the offense in 2024 if the rookie proves to be the upgrade that he was drafted to be then Washington has continued rebuild options in moving on from Howell.

This is a draft that is QB, OL, and WR rich. It is expected to be a very strong class! getting your QB does not exclude you from also refitting your OL.

Btw; sitting here typing this response I've considered another compelling reason to draft a QB... This, as of today, is a 4-9 team, with Howell starting every game. There's not one position that is a given, and as such, competition for their jobs is going to be the way of life with a new regime coming in and there's not one position that is exempted from that, including QB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you on Daniels but disagree with PeniX. While I do not want Daniels in round 1, I would not be disappointed.

Biased not racist.
Long-suffering fans/followers and supporters of this team have earned the right to expect no less from this (new) organization than for them to tackle and get an answer at QB! If it's Howell, so be it but I would be disappointed if they simply handed the job to him without bringing in major competition for the job. If he earns it great, but he has to earn it just like 100% of the rest of the team.

Btw; thanks for the clarity!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long-suffering fans/followers and supporters of this team have earned the right to expect no less from this (new) organization than for them to tackle and get an answer at QB! If it's Howell, so be it but I would be disappointed if they simply handed the job to him without bringing in major competition for the job. If he earns it great, but he has to earn it just like 100% of the rest of the team.

Btw; thanks for the clarity!

I love you my friend, one of my favorite posters. I do t believe you are racist but I believe you are human…this makes you biased just like every other person.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Valid reasons

I've also conceded to the notion that Sam is a starter in the league, in fact, I challenge anyone who says that he isn't.

Washington's biggest challenge since forever has been failing to get a definitive answer at QB. Getting that definitive answer will be the top priority of the new regime.

The rookie QB would be sitting while Sam runs the offense in 2024 if the rookie proves to be the upgrade that he was drafted to be then Washington has continued rebuild options in moving on from Howell.

This is a draft that is QB, OL, and WR rich. It is expected to be a very strong class! getting your QB does not exclude you from also refitting your OL.

Btw; sitting here typing this response I've considered another compelling reason to draft a QB... This, as of today, is a 4-9 team, with Howell starting every game. There's not one position that is a given, and as such, competition for their jobs is going to be the way of life with a new regime coming in and there's not one position that is exempted from that, including QB.

I gotta say Sty, I could not disagree more.

To each their own.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Valid reasons

To each their own in

Brock2005

Intellectual Bully
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering how ANY real assessment of Howell can be made behind this Oline. The lack of protection is GLARING... Wiley is nothing more than a walking speed bump and the rest aren't much better (execpt, maybe Leno)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To each their own in
OK, that's fair, any chance that you would share why you disagree? I would honestly like to know!

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, that's fair, any chance that you would share why you disagree? I would honestly like to know!
I think that the most important parts of a football team are an excellent left tackle, and excellent DT and an excellent qb. The skins have excellent DT’s for now, and a pretty good qb.

They also have a horrific LT.

I think that if any season has proven that nobody can be successful behind a terrible offensive line, then this year’s Commanders are exhibit 1.

I also think that competent qb play can be had behind a good offensive line, as evidenced by the niners.

Brock Purdy is a fine qb, but he is made better playing behind that line, anchored by Trent Williams.

On the other end of the spectrum is Sam
Howell, who makes plenty of plays behind an atrocious offensive line.

I dont know anything about college football - I dont follow it at all - but I do know enough to know that there are highly touted qbs that come out every year. If this is a year for great olinemen, then that’s where I put my money.

I guess its just a different philosophy than yours.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering how ANY real assessment of Howell can be made behind this Oline. The lack of protection is GLARING... Wiley is nothing more than a walking speed bump and the rest aren't much better (execpt, maybe Leno)
I posted why that can be the case but here's the short version. Burrow behind a far worse OL and they knew within a few games that he was the one. Stroud with far inferior pass catchers and they know that he's the one. Washington makes too many excuses I believe because they know that Howell is a starter in the league but he isn’t "that guy!"

Basically, you know it when you see it and when you don't, they want to see more with a better tools around a guy. When the type of guy that I'm looking for comes in and his skillset improves even a weak team, we can imagine what he'll do when the team around him improves. Some here are doing the exact opposite with Howell. (Wanting to see what he can do once the team improves)

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Sam, he has the arm and athleticism. He is really good off schedule ... but he has also been prone to throwing bad INT's and not sure he always processes as fast as I'd like. Having said that the guy is running for his life way too often.

While on the other side there isn't anyone I love in the top 7-8 picks.

That will be the new FO's job to figure out.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the most important parts of a football team are an excellent left tackle, and excellent DT and an excellent qb. The skins have excellent DT’s for now, and a pretty good qb.

They also have a horrific LT.

I think that if any season has proven that nobody can be successful behind a terrible offensive line, then this year’s Commanders are exhibit 1.

I also think that competent qb play can be had behind a good offensive line, as evidenced by the niners.

Brock Purdy is a fine qb, but he is made better playing behind that line, anchored by Trent Williams.

On the other end of the spectrum is Sam
Howell, who makes plenty of plays behind an atrocious offensive line.

I dont know anything about college football - I dont follow it at all - but I do know enough to know that there are highly touted qbs that come out every year. If this is a year for great olinemen, then that’s where I put my money.

I guess its just a different philosophy than yours.
We were spoiled .... Chris Samuels then Trent.

Every year there are 3,4 or 5 QBs coming out that are IT QBs but more often are not. Lord knows we have had a couple of guys. If the new FO takes a LT early and Jayden Daniels falls to the 2nd I might be good with that. Really there is so much unknown until a new GM and HC are hired.