• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example fastforward..... say someone would trade us for Ware before or during the draft.....

Not possible .... because we have so much in dead money now ... that would take us over the 25 million mark.

Which is what the Redskin did when they released Haynesworth ....... And I don't want the penalty they got

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him as a potential #2 pick at this point. I'm still happy enough with Bradford. The issue is whether he'll be fit for 2014 and how difficult it might be to get a QB in 2015 if he regresses. The Rams have picks in a decent year for QBs. It's not essential to take 1 but even at $2.6M a #13 pick QB can sit on the bench. It's as much about finding a back-up/developmental QB that the team is happy with. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys take a QB in the top 4 rounds as well. It isn't a priority but it's financially prudent.

agree with you .....

thats why it was suggested as a swap of 1st round picks and 2nd round picks for Dez.
Rams dont lose a 1st rounder .... Know what they are getting in Dez
Dont have to waste 2-3 years to find out if he is a bust .....

Helps both teams

we cant afford him .... and you end up knowing what you have in Bradford with another weapon going forward
and if it doesnt work ... all you lost was a few positions you want to trade down on anyway and a second .. maybe 2 seconds

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're a bit off on your numbers ... but correct player.

Post june 1st cut ... ware would only save 7 million .... and would count 7 million in dead money the following year.

Another problem we have is we are already carrying so much in dead money into next season we could only do this with one player (big contract player) (( only allowed 25 million in dead money per season... as of next years cap))

No cut or trade saves money over 3 years ... before June 1st ... its a that year hit... after June first you can split the cap over ONLY 2 years)
Not according to Spotrac.com. Ware has an unavoidable, (dead money), 2014 cap hit of $3,753,750. His has an additional unavoidable total cap hit of $4,817,750 due over the following 3 years. Releasing him early would bring that hit forward but it could be offset by moving the cap hit for Romo or someone else back. Ware's salary is $12,250,000 but it's none of it is guaranteed. Cutting him would save $7,432,250 in 2014 and $4,817,750 in the future. The total saving is full non-guaranteed 2014 salary. If the Cowboys could release him after June 1st then so much the better.

As a contrast Bradford is due $14M in 2014 with the Rams. $1.75M is guaranteed so releasing him would only save $12.25M. This would bring forward Bradford's final $3.5M cap hit but again that could be offset by other salary-to-bonus conversions.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not according to Spotrac.com. Ware has an unavoidable, (dead money), 2014 cap hit of $3,753,750. His has an additional unavoidable total cap hit of $4,817,750 due over the following 3 years. Releasing him early would bring that hit forward but it could be offset by moving the cap hit for Romo or someone else back. Ware's salary is $12,250,000 but it's none of it is guaranteed. Cutting him would save $7,432,250 in 2014 and $4,817,750 in the future. The total saving is full non-guaranteed 2014 salary. If the Cowboys could release him after June 1st then so much the better.

As a contrast Bradford is due $14M in 2014 with the Rams. $1.75M is guaranteed so releasing him would only save $12.25M. This would bring forward Bradford's final $3.5M cap hit but again that could be offset by other salary-to-bonus conversions.

cut trade doesnt matter ... its not split at 7 one year and 4 the next

it's all or cut in half ... all before June first or 50-50 over 2 years after June1st ... Its not spread out over 3 years ...

in other words you cant pay players over over several years ... cut or trade .... money is due.... no less than over 2 seasons ... reasons most teams dues post June first is to split it in half

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah our situation is that bad

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and good luck finding 25 million to save

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah our situation is that bad

Yep, it's a fun site do a degree, but also a depressing one if you're a Cowboys fan. There will be folks who point out that we can get as much as $20 million under the cap this year, which is true, but it's just like running up a credit card, at some point, the interest(dead money) is going to break your bank

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't give an aging QB over a hundred million dollars to not resign Dez. I am not in favor of getting rid of Ware, but with the age difference,I certainly get rid of him before I let Dez go. Remember these young guys are all signed for 2014 at a bonus rate. We could structure the contracts so the the first year of any deal is lower than the average against the cap. Also, as we all know the cap goes up in 2015. Murray is the one I'm worried about because I'm thinking we sign the other two. The other thing is that life in the NFL means letting guys go from time to time. As Cowboy fans we aren't used to that, but that's why we currently have a cap problem...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't give an aging QB over a hundred million dollars to not resign Dez. I am not in favor of getting rid of Ware, but with the age difference,I certainly get rid of him before I let Dez go. Remember these young guys are all signed for 2014 at a bonus rate. We could structure the contracts so the the first year of any deal is lower than the average against the cap. Also, as we all know the cap goes up in 2015. Murray is the one I'm worried about because I'm thinking we sign the other two. The other thing is that life in the NFL means letting guys go from time to time. As Cowboy fans we aren't used to that, but that's why we currently have a cap problem...

I think Jerry would cut out his left nut before he traded Dez. Your point about Romo is spot on. Jerry wants a Super Bowl under Romo more than anything. Trading Dez would be a way of helping to fix the cap while recouping talent in return. Instead, Jerry will string out contracts for the next 5 years, loading up dead money, and hoping for a huge cap spike to help bail him out

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jerry would cut out his left nut before he traded Dez. Your point about Romo is spot on. Jerry wants a Super Bowl under Romo more than anything. Trading Dez would be a way of helping to fix the cap while recouping talent in return. Instead, Jerry will string out contracts for the next 5 years, loading up dead money, and hoping for a huge cap spike to help bail him out

To me part of the problem with trading Dez is there's no guarantee on the talent you recoup panning out, It's a pretty high risk trade imo.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me part of the problem with trading Dez is there's no guarantee on the talent you recoup panning out, It's a pretty high risk trade imo.

I don't think it's possible to get equal value. But if you play this out over the next year, and we haven't resigned him, what incentive would Dez have to sign before testing FA? And if he hits FA without a deal, we are gonna get nothing. If you consider Romo's contract, what it's gonna take to resign TSmith, Lee's cap number going up, all our high priced contracts or dead money from Ware, Witten, etc., Can this club afford to pay Dez? They would have to do it like the Romo deal, lots of years so that they could rework it for space over and over again. How does 7 years and $91 million sound?

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that I would offer to trade dez to the colts for a 1st and 2nd rounderl. Dez is going to command a massive contract. I like dez,but we need to think of the long term future. Try to build the lines up. The colts obviously need receiver help

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny how many thought richardson was the second coming of emmitt. He sux

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think jerrah signs dez. But it is easy to see that mismanagement of the cap and the dead money will eventually send the cowboys to the bottom of the standings

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,157.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st off the rams will never trade their #2 pick for a player. That is insane. You got to look at this from the Rams point of view. Lets just say for arguments sake they really like Dez & want him. They would still never use their #2 pick on that. They will trade the #2 pick for a high ransom. Maybe they wont get as much as they got from the skins, but they will get a lot to move back No way they give that pick up for a player. Now they have two #1's this year plus whatever else. If they were gonna trade with the boys for Dez it would be one of the latter #1 picks. The only thing they trade the #2 picks for is a host of more picks. With that said. I would still trade with the Rams if they were to give us another 1st round & 2nd round pick for Dez. I agree with twist on the concept of trading Dez, but no way a team gives up the #2 pick for Dez. Ever!

With all that said I am pretty confident Jerry will mortgage the house to keep Dez. Jerry always keeps his toys that keeps Jerry in the press.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that I would offer to trade dez to the colts for a 1st and 2nd rounderl. Dez is going to command a massive contract. I like dez,but we need to think of the long term future. Try to build the lines up. The colts obviously need receiver help
I have no problem doing that if we can get that deal. I think the kid will be in jail within 5 years anyway.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear yall about fixing the salary cap I really do. So we pay Smith which Is a good things we have Fredricks for another 3 yrs, and find more OL help to solidify the OL that's Awesome. So know Romo enetr's next year at 33 or 34 so say we have Him for another 3 years of fringe pro-bowl qb play. So we trade Dez and the cap out look is a lot better. So what wr's is this great line and our marginal qb throwing to. You gotta have some weapons and outside of Dez and an aging Witten I don't see it. It's likely going to take a couple of years to rebuild this defense. I don't see how trading Dez fixes this swiss cheese roster we have. I just See Smith and Dez as the building blocks, put the right role players around them and draft well hoping Romo finally has a break through season. I don't see many trade partners out there for us anyway.

If Dez is a horrible Route runner who will be locked up in the next 5 yrs who in there right mind give up a 1st or even a 2nd for that guy?