• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres a pretty fun website called overthecap where you can play with the Cowboys contracts, cut, restructure, june 1 cut, trade. Getting the Cowboys under the cap, even $15-20 million under isn't the problem. The problem to me (other than a cap number of $7 million to Jay Fucking Rat), is the players we have coming up as FA next year, in TSmith, Dez and Murray. IMO, the club needs to let every single FA walk (except their magnificent kicker) including Hatcher and Spencer, while restructuring Romo, Scandrick, Witten and Carr, and June 1 releasing Austin and Ware. The toughest one there for me is Ware, but at a $16 million hit, he would have to take a pay cut(which he said he won't do) instead of a redo, so adios. Then resigning Dez and TSmith longterm should be the priority. The NFL draft will be HUGE for Dallas the next couple of years if they want to be cpompetitive

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres a pretty fun website called overthecap where you can play with the Cowboys contracts, cut, restructure, june 1 cut, trade. Getting the Cowboys under the cap, even $15-20 million under isn't the problem. The problem to me (other than a cap number of $7 million to Jay Fucking Rat), is the players we have coming up as FA next year, in TSmith, Dez and Murray. IMO, the club needs to let every single FA walk (except their magnificent kicker) including Hatcher and Spencer, while restructuring Romo, Scandrick, Witten and Carr, and June 1 releasing Austin and Ware. The toughest one there for me is Ware, but at a $16 million hit, he would have to take a pay cut(which he said he won't do) instead of a redo, so adios. Then resigning Dez and TSmith longterm should be the priority. The NFL draft will be HUGE for Dallas the next couple of years if they want to be cpompetitive

Everyone calls me crazy for saying trade Dez .....

but how about this scenario

instead of two first for Dez .... Swap first with the Rams and 2 seconds from the Rams who badly need a receiver.

Take the Rams top pick and trade down eventually getting 2 first round picks. pick up Mike Evans (receiver A&M)
Jernigan (DT Florida State)
with luck you may also get Hageman (DT Minnesota) or Clinton-Dex ( S Alabama)

Resign Smith long term. Make Murray play out the final year to make sure he can stay healthy (which will determine his worth)

Thats the route I would go. I don't think we can resign both Smith and Bryant.
Bryant is going to be looking for 70-100 million contract. And his statements about being as good as CJ let me know he thinks he will be worth that type of contract..... One we can't afford ..... Especially off potential

Fixes several holes.... without killing our cap even more.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broke down by player team contract and Average per year
Calvin Johnson Lions \ $113,450,000 $16,207,143
Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals $113,000,000 $16,142,857
Percy Harvin Seahawks $64,245,000 $12,849,000
Mike Wallace Dolphins $60,000,000 $12,000,000
Dwayne Bowe Chiefs $56,000,000 $11,200,000
Brandon Marshall Bears $44,779,000 $11,194,750
Vincent Jackson Buccaneers $55,555,555 $11,111,111

I think Dez gets more than Harvin and Wallace Less than Fitz and Johnson

Either way it's going to take one hell of a contract to keep him

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone calls me crazy for saying trade Dez .....

but how about this scenario

instead of two first for Dez .... Swap first with the Rams and 2 seconds from the Rams who badly need a receiver.

Take the Rams top pick and trade down eventually getting 2 first round picks. pick up Mike Evans (receiver A&M)
Jernigan (DT Florida State)
with luck you may also get Hageman (DT Minnesota) or Clinton-Dex ( S Alabama)

Resign Smith long term. Make Murray play out the final year to make sure he can stay healthy (which will determine his worth)

Thats the route I would go. I don't think we can resign both Smith and Bryant.
Bryant is going to be looking for 70-100 million contract. And his statements about being as good as CJ let me know he thinks he will be worth that type of contract..... One we can't afford ..... Especially off potential

Fixes several holes.... without killing our cap even more.

I think a slight variation of that deal would work. Instead of trading for the #2 overall, swap places with them in the 1st, going from 16-13, and have them include their 2nd and 4th. The Rams would walk away with Dez, either Mattews or Clowney at two, and still have our pick at 16. For the Cowboys, the move up to 13 would probably net them HaHa Clinton Dix, in addition to 2 2nds, a 3rd and 2 4ths. The Cowboys would be able to add a couple of impact DL and a WR that could come in and play right away

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broke down by player team contract and Average per year
Calvin Johnson Lions \ $113,450,000 $16,207,143
Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals $113,000,000 $16,142,857
Percy Harvin Seahawks $64,245,000 $12,849,000
Mike Wallace Dolphins $60,000,000 $12,000,000
Dwayne Bowe Chiefs $56,000,000 $11,200,000
Brandon Marshall Bears $44,779,000 $11,194,750
Vincent Jackson Buccaneers $55,555,555 $11,111,111

I think Dez gets more than Harvin and Wallace Less than Fitz and Johnson

Either way it's going to take one hell of a contract to keep him

Yep, even at Harvin's number, $13 million a year? Can't see us affording that, especially when TSmith is going to get a huge raise too

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to the top contracts by LTs Only 3 average more a year than 10 million

Peters from the Eagles is the highest at 12.8 per year
and # 3 on the list being Clady from the Broncos at 10.5 average a year

and only 1 having more than a total contract of 60 million (not all guaranteed either ) is Thomas from the Browns with an 80.5 million contract but ONLY $28. 5 is guaranteed

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, even at Harvin's number, $13 million a year? Can't see us affording that, especially when TSmith is going to get a huge raise too

LOL when you look at the numbers it's easier to understand why I have been for trading Dez

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL when you look at the numbers it's easier to understand why I have been for trading Dez

No doubt. I think a lot of people(Jerry included) would balk, but the cap isn't going to fix itself. Trading Dez while his value is high is better than letting him walk for free after next season

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. I think a lot of people(Jerry included) would balk, but the cap isn't going to fix itself. Trading Dez while his value is high is better than letting him walk for free after next season

And if done right ..... You can fix alot of holes.... work towards fixing the cap ....

Then you may or may not be able to get Witten and Romo a Superbowl before they leave.

If not you end up in the situation of the Seahawks and San Francisco. A built YOUNG team the next Qb can come in and win right away with

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, I think the Rams would trade their #13 overall and their 2nd rounder straight up for Dez. Adding the number 2 pic overall and Dez is adding a ton of talent, but also a ton of salary. Dallas could take Dix and Jernigans in the first while picking up a WR and another DL in the 2nd

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, I think the Rams would trade their #13 overall and their 2nd rounder straight up for Dez. Adding the number 2 pic overall and Dez is adding a ton of talent, but also a ton of salary. Dallas could take Dix and Jernigans in the first while picking up a WR and another DL in the 2nd

Jerry and Fisher have a great relationship ...... So to me this makes the most sense of any trade we could make or any move we could make to fix the team the fastest without killing our cap trying to hold together what we have ..... 3 straight years of 8-8

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry and Fisher have a great relationship ...... So to me this makes the most sense of any trade we could make or any move we could make to fix the team the fastest without killing our cap trying to hold together what we have ..... 3 straight years of 8-8

I'd take a year of 4-12 for a string of double digit win seasons

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer to keep Dez but understand cap wise we are going to lose someone. If it's between he and Smith I keep Smith. I like the idea of trading him to the rams. Just not sure other teams will pay the price Jerry would for a WR.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to St Louis, I think Baltimore might be a possible trade partner for Dez. The Ravens have cap space(and we don't...unreal), and they never quite recovered from losing Bouldin

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the many Problems I have with this Idea is If you get rid of Dez you probably have the worse offense in the NFL. Who then becomes the number 1 wr, please don't team Williams? Williams has Alvin Harper written all over him He's imo Robin, maybe in a couple of years he's ready to be Batman.....I don't think so though. Another problem with this trade scenario is with 2 1st round picks the rams could conceivably draft Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans (who's Noted at not being a great route runner and having avg wr speed) with one of there 2 1st round picks heck they could possibly draft both, who knows. It is a fact that trading Dez could help our cap situation. It is pure speculation and conjecture that the guys we then draft in the 1st round will be any good. So you then trading a known NFL number one wr for a bunch of unknowns. With Jerry making those picks my faith is pretty low that he would hit on both picks.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the many Problems I have with this Idea is If you get rid of Dez you probably have the worse offense in the NFL. Who then becomes the number 1 wr, please don't team Williams? Williams has Alvin Harper written all over him He's imo Robin, maybe in a couple of years he's ready to be Batman.....I don't think so though. Another problem with this trade scenario is with 2 1st round picks the rams could conceivably draft Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans (who's Noted at not being a great route runner and having avg wr speed) with one of there 2 1st round picks heck they could possibly draft both, who knows. It is a fact that trading Dez could help our cap situation. It is pure speculation and conjecture that the guys we then draft in the 1st round will be any good. So you then trading a known NFL number one wr for a bunch of unknowns. With Jerry making those picks my faith is pretty low that he would hit on both picks.

I don't think anyone wants to trade Dez, it just may be the lesser of two evils. We have TSmith, Dez and Murray all coming up as FA's next year. Nobody wants to see Hatcher go, but he's gone. If we let all our FA's walk, redo Romo, Carr, Witten and Scandrick, and cut Austin and Ware, we'd be about $20 million under. We could try and resign both Smith and Dez longterm, but adding their raises, along with adding to future caps with the other restructures, we'd be against the cap for years to come. This team HAS to kill it in the draft the next few years, or 8-8 will be a happy memory down the line

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is we only have 2 players on this team with trade value.

Smith and Bryant.

To sign both .... plan on being in cap hell ... for 6 more years at the least.
Because in order to do so ... you will restructure so many players and push so much money back ...... Thinking it's bad now ..... will be nothing compared to 2-3 years down the road.
Which will be the time we will have to resign players all over again. So those years down the road ....... We are in the same spot as right now with contracts starting to come back up

I don't want to pay a player 13 million a year hoping he gets better. ( Or more)
Hell I don't want to pay Carr 12 million a year now.
And that contract was also one given off potential....... He isn't working out to well either.

We know exactly what we have in Smith. That's who I pay

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer to keep Dez but understand cap wise we are going to lose someone. If it's between he and Smith I keep Smith. I like the idea of trading him to the rams. Just not sure other teams will pay the price Jerry would for a WR.

Thats why we dropped the asking value to a swapping of 1st round draft picks and 2nd rounders

Rams wouldn't lose a 1st round pick ...and we would gain picks in the process.

I'm with UK ... trade him while his value is high .... or possibly be forced to let him walk away after next year and get nothing for him.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now I can see someone disagreeing .... but only if you think we are Superbowl contenders next year or the year after.

and if we aren't you have fucked the team for a few more years with all the pushed back money on the cap..... which would still leave us not a year away but another 3-4 years away

Which Jerry Jones is very likely to do.

But seriously anyone wanting to put this team in this situation really holds no right to complain about the cap situation we are in now ..... because this is what we keep doing year in and year out

we could have traded Free....... as an example. and picked up a right tackle. Instead we paid him LT money to keep him.

Give Dez top 3 receiver in the league money ........ when his numbers put him middle of the league? I see no way to justify it

Last edited by a moderator:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone wants to trade Dez, it just may be the lesser of two evils. We have TSmith, Dez and Murray all coming up as FA's next year. Nobody wants to see Hatcher go, but he's gone. If we let all our FA's walk, redo Romo, Carr, Witten and Scandrick, and cut Austin and Ware, we'd be about $20 million under. We could try and resign both Smith and Dez longterm, but adding their raises, along with adding to future caps with the other restructures, we'd be against the cap for years to come. This team HAS to kill it in the draft the next few years, or 8-8 will be a happy memory down the line

Is putting the franchise tag on Dez an option that way you could put his value at a 1st and a 2nd if some team wants him that bad, second you buy yourself some time without committing and allowing for some of the problem contracts to expire or become cut-able like Ware or Witten. There are many ways to fix this cap situation w/o cutting Dez or Smith.....to me if Murray has to walk he would be the easiest to replace imo. Another option is they can put a freeze on signing high or mid dollar F/A for a couple years and let that money carry over into the following year so that the cap can be in better shape. I'm never a fan of trading your best (skill) player while he's in his prime unless the other team is blowing me away. :suds: