• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reality though .... I'm hoping like hell we get out of the 7 million we have in dead cap next year because of J Ratt.......

That sure as shit would help

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is putting the franchise tag on Dez an option that way you could put his value at a 1st and a 2nd if some team wants him that bad, second you buy yourself some time without committing and allowing for some of the problem contracts to expire or become cut-able like Ware or Witten. There are many ways to fix this cap situation w/o cutting Dez or Smith.....to me if Murray has to walk he would be the easiest to replace imo. Another option is they can put a freeze on signing high or mid dollar F/A for a couple years and let that money carry over into the following year so that the cap can be in better shape. I'm never a fan of trading your best (skill) player while he's in his prime unless the other team is blowing me away. :suds:

Franchise him would cost you 15 million a year .... They average the top contracts of the top 5 highest paid at his position

AND you can't stretch that out .... it's due that year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now I can see someone disagreeing .... but only if you think we are Superbowl contenders next year or the year after.

and if we aren't you have fucked the team for a few more years with all the pushed back money on the cap..... which would still leave us not a year away but another 3-4 years away

Which Jerry Jones is very likely to do.

But seriously anyone wanting to put this team in this situation really holds no right to complain about the cap situation we are in now ..... because this is what we keep doing year in and year out

we could have traded Free....... as an example. and picked up a right tackle. Instead we paid him LT money to keep him.

Give Dez top 3 receiver in the league money ........ when his numbers put him middle of the league? I see no way to justify it

The big point you made was Dez walking with nothing in return. If I'm Dez's agent, I'm not against resigning with the Cowboys, but unless they offer $15 million a season, why wouldn't we hit FA? The only way the Cowboys could prevent him from testing the market would be to franchise him, and we sure as Hell couldn't afford that. What Twist is saying makes the most sense, but what I see Jerry doing, is reworking a lot of guys, resigning Dez, TSmith and Murray, and in 3 years we will have a 37 year old QB who will be counting against our cap till he's 50

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh btw Franchise tag cost against the cap .... in a major way.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big point you made was Dez walking with nothing in return. If I'm Dez's agent, I'm not against resigning with the Cowboys, but unless they offer $15 million a season, why wouldn't we hit FA? The only way the Cowboys could prevent him from testing the market would be to franchise him, and we sure as Hell couldn't afford that. What Twist is saying makes the most sense, but what I see Jerry doing, is reworking a lot of guys, resigning Dez, TSmith and Murray, and in 3 years we will have a 37 year old QB who will be counting against our cap till he's 50

Right along with an aging Ware
Carr who is already over paid .... hitting us big time

Murray isn't going to make near the impact .... keep him or let him walk .... at best he gets 3.5 million a year. Rbs aren't high value players anymore ... Not if their name isn't Adrian Peterson

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is we only have 2 players on this team with trade value.

Smith and Bryant.

To sign both .... plan on being in cap hell ... for 6 more years at the least.
Because in order to do so ... you will restructure so many players and push so much money back ...... Thinking it's bad now ..... will be nothing compared to 2-3 years down the road.
Which will be the time we will have to resign players all over again. So those years down the road ....... We are in the same spot as right now with contracts starting to come back up

I don't want to pay a player 13 million a year hoping he gets better. ( Or more)
Hell I don't want to pay Carr 12 million a year now.
And that contract was also one given off potential....... He isn't working out to well either.

We know exactly what we have in Smith. That's who I pay

I think as intelligent as you are regarding the cap I thinking you're intentionally misleading us to sway us to seeing things how you see them. When does Witten and Ware caps end or become cuttable to the point which our cap heals.....add Romo to that list as well? Can using the franchise tag buy us time in getting some of these key young players signed until those named contracts fall off.? Outside of Dez, Smith, and Murray who else on this team would even command a large contract. We can Keep Smith and Dez for 2 years and weather the storm until our salary cap becomes more workable. We have to keep the core :players imho.:suds:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise him would cost you 15 million a year .... They average the top contracts of the top 5 highest paid at his position

Exactly. If we did resign Dez to say a 5 year $65 million deal, his first year salary would be around 1 or 2 million, and his cap hit would be that plus his pro rated signing bonus hit. There's no way we could franchise him and have $15 million hit the books next year. Thats why trading him now may be the best option

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know that, but for the sake of buying yourself time. Is that a plausible scenario?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as intelligent as you are regarding the cap I thinking you're intentionally misleading us to sway us to seeing things how you see them. When does Witten and Ware caps end or become cuttable to the point which our cap heals.....add Romo to that list as well? Can using the franchise tag buy us time in getting some of these key young players signed until those named contracts fall off.? Outside of Dez, Smith, and Murray who else on this team would even command a large contract. We can Keep Smith and Dez for 2 years and weather the storm until our salary cap becomes more workable. We have to keep the core :players imho.:suds:

Check out overthecap.com and play with the numbers. We aren't going to be able to wait out Ware's deal. He's counting $16 million against the cap this year. If we cut him June 1, we save around $7 million. The thing is, we still have to redo Romo, Carr and Witten just to get under the cap this year

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reality though .... I'm hoping like hell we get out of the 7 million we have in dead cap next year because of J Ratt.......

That sure as shit would help

The NFL owes us one after the last bullshit cap hit they gave us. Rat should wear a fucking ski mask to work

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any evidence or history of Fisher or Snead trading for veterans? Any recent history of the Rams franchise giving up more than a mid pick for a veteran? Have the Rams negotiated with high-priced FA WRs in recent years? I'd trade #13 for Dez with a 4 year contract at $8-9M per year but that sort of contract looks unlikely. Even then most Rams fans wouldn't go for it, (preferring another rookie), and there's no indication that the Rams management likes Dez. I think you're over-estimating his trade value, especially since everyone knows how bad the financial situation is in Dallas.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would I mislead anyone .... when anyone can take the time and do the math themselves.

Only player you can cut right now and save money is Ware.

He would save you 7 million this year and add 7 million in dead money the following year in dead cap space. That's post June first.

You could eat Carr's contract.

But here is the problem .

we could only cut one of those this year. Cutting both puts us over the 25 million allowed in dead cap space .... UNLESS we get out of the money J Ratt stands for in dead cap space next year.

reguardless restructuring is going to have to be done as is to get us under the cap next year.... That's not an if its a HAS TO HAPPEN.

Romo as is ... not restructured can be cut after 2 more seasons..... but he is likely to be the one restructured to get us under the cap this year...... so likely 3 more years of Romo.

It would COST you to cut Witten right now. To the tune of 8.4 million again putting us farther in the hole.
We just resigned Scandrick...... almost as bad as Witten .... to the tune of 6.6 to cut .... saving nothing

What no one wants to get through their head is we have pushed money back for so long...... cutting guys hurts us .... not helps

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so if we trade Dez which I don't think is the answer who's the trade partner, I can't see it being the Rams. Why wouldn't they just draft Sammy Watkins or Evans. They would have to offer up There stud pass rusher...Whats his name Quinn I think and swap 1st so we can go and Get Sammy Watkins. I wouldn't mind that so much. then you have to be ready to pay Quinn though.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any evidence or history of Fisher or Snead trading for veterans? Any recent history of the Rams franchise giving up more than a mid pick for a veteran? Have the Rams negotiated with high-priced FA WRs in recent years? I'd trade #13 for Dez with a 4 year contract at $8-9M per year but that sort of contract looks unlikely. Even then most Rams fans wouldn't go for it, (preferring another rookie), and there's no indication that the Rams management likes Dez. I think you're over-estimating his trade value, especially since everyone knows how bad the financial situation is in Dallas.

:agree: 100%

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm only basing it on hope ... Fisher having player control... His relationship with Jerry and the fact yall are possibly a receiver away from being a threat.

Waiting on a rookie receiver to mature? 2-3 years..... That's as much of a gamble as the trade

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
snook go look at the cap yourself ....

If you find any possible way we pay Dez and Smith

GO FOR IT

Trust me I have tried every scenario possible .....

And they all fuck us up for a LONG time

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing i'm sure of is Jerry will find a way to keep Dez no matter what if history repeat's itself. Jerry has been looking for a #1 wr for the past 10 to 15 yrs. I don't see JJ letting this guy walk. Thank god fixing the cap isn't my job is Jerry and his brain trust. Again this is all speculation and conjecture on our parts. I will continue to disagree with you and your hypothesis on fixing the Dallas Cowboys cap. You are well informed of your understanding of the cap it seems and I respect and like that about you, but unless your employed by this franchise you can only guess with a certain degree of accuracy. I think you're dead wrong about resigning Dez. Only time will tell :suds:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the best situation I have come up with .......

restructure Romo .... thats going to have to be done reguardless.
Don't think we have to touch Witten
Redo Ware and Carr in a way that with Romo we get under the cap next year

Get this dead money off the books next year
2015 is currently clear.
based on next season .... eat Ware or Carrs contract..... and in 2016 ... eat the other one ... and by 2017 ..... we would be able to MAYBE Eat Romos ... depending on how we push the money back
Which would put us in play to resign our young players and get rid of all the dead money we keep carrying over

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is under contract for 2014 and the Cowboys could use the exclusive franchise tag to prevent him leaving in 2015. Offering him a contract extension now that gives him market value salaries in 2015, 2016, & 2017 with guarantees would make more sense and wouldn't worsen the current cap situation.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure though if turn turn up to be correct, I will eat crow and give you your props no matter how much it pains me to do so. Hopefully you're willing to do the same.