• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban Whining Again

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well fuck then you guys should just play every game at home against 12 Alabama Jr High schools and call it a season.
Personally I like traveling to see a game against a school not in our conference and seeing their stadium their fans their traditions and see our team in a different environment after flying cross country . It's pretty cool and actually something special that only college has but something a Bama student or fan hasn't been able to do in more than a decade . But you guys would just win so whats the point right. Chattanooga and Mercer at home is just fine.

Seeing as how we were talking about students at HOME games, the only stadium they would be seeing is BDS. And with respect, the poster referred to lack of. competitiveness as the reason students are less likely to be there.

But of course, let’s throw in other “factors” that have absolutely nothing to do with students at home games.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you agree that fans shouldn’t be paying for season tickets because Saban and Alabama have had no desire to play anyone of any substance at home.

People can pay for what they want. I’m all for free markets.

As for playing no one of substance at home, I would put our slate of home games up against yours over the last decade any day. But your fans can and will buy what they want, and our fans can and will buy what they want.

And none of that changes what was posted about competitiveness. Of course, you can’t and won’t respond to that, because when your team had their chance to do their talking on the field, they went mute.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as how we were talking about students at HOME games, the only stadium they would be seeing is BDS. And with respect, the poster referred to lack of. competitiveness as the reason students are less likely to be there.

But of course, let’s throw in other “factors” that have absolutely nothing to do with students at home games.
No, I didn’t talk about lack of competitiveness. I was talking about lack of name recognition. Fans want to go see big name teams. Do your juices get flowing for a Southern Miss vs North Texas game? Probably not. Texas AM vs Clemson definitely got more people pumped than Alabama vs Western Chattanooga State. But why don’t you try and play make believe to change my argument more to fit your narrative better.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for playing no one of substance at home, I would put our slate of home games up against yours over the last decade any day. But your fans can and will buy what they want, and our fans can and will buy what they want.

And none of that changes what was posted about competitiveness. Of course, you can’t and won’t respond to that, because when your team had their chance to do their talking on the field, they went mute.
Ok let’s take a look at your slate of home games for big names. You have played one, ONE P5 opponent in non conference play over the last decade.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I didn’t talk about lack of competitiveness. I was talking about lack of name recognition. Fans want to go see big name teams. Do your juices get flowing for a Southern Miss vs North Texas game? Probably not. Texas AM vs Clemson definitely got more people pumped than Alabama vs Western Chattanooga State. But why don’t you try and play make believe to change my argument more to fit your narrative better.

You do realize that the game that prompted Saban’s initial anger about people leaving was the 2013 Arky game. It was a conference game, and it was 45-0 before the end of the 3rd. The temperature dropped about 20 degrees when the sun set, and quite a few fans left early.

People who have to drive 2-3+ hours are likely to leave early in a blowout. Reality is most of our games are blowouts. I see that as a nice “problem” to have. Of course, many of you focus on the fact that the recent opponent was NMSU, while ignoring that all but a handful of teams were playing opponents far closer to the level of NMSU than tOSU. So stop acting like everyone is playing September gauntlets.

I’ve said before and will say again, I would be fine with 9 conference games and an all P5 or 2/3 P5 restriction. That isn’t going to fix the fact that quite a few P5s suck. Rutgers and Kansas aren’t going to draw packed stadiums or fans itching to stay 3+ hours in intense heat or cold.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok let’s take a look at your slate of home games for big names. You have played one, ONE P5 opponent
in non conference play over the last decade.

And a helluva set of IN conference ranked opponents. Season tickets cover those as well.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair though, the bolded is only a true statement due to the strength of the SEC west. Those games are fun I'm sure, but as a fan, you should demand interesting OOC games as well at home and on the road. You've had the best and deepest team in college football for a decade now. If anybody can handle the schedule, it's Bama.

No reason for you guys to accept the status quo as fans because coaches prefer easier OOC schedules. Hell all of them do, but it's the Athletic Departments job to tell them that isn't acceptable for the fans paying big money to watch the games. Every coach who's playing difficult OOC schedules hates it.

In the end, I can't think of a single national title caliber team missing a chance at a title because their schedule was too hard. It's fake news by coaches who want to play and develop their reserves over the fan experience.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair though, the bolded is only a true statement due to the strength of the SEC west. Those games are fun I'm sure, but as a fan, you should demand interesting OOC games as well at home and on the road. You've had the best and deepest team in college football for a decade now. If anybody can handle the schedule, it's Bama.

No reason for you guys to accept the status quo as fans because coaches prefer easier OOC schedules. Hell all of them do, but it's the Athletic Departments job to tell them that isn't acceptable for the fans paying big money to watch the games. Every coach who's playing difficult OOC schedules hates it.

In the end, I can't think of a single national title caliber team missing a chance at a title because their schedule was too hard. It's fake news by coaches who want to play and develop their reserves over the fan experience.

I don’t accept anything, and I can’t change anything. I usually go to one game a year, and it depends on several factors, with quality of opponent being down the list.

Saban has complained about TWO things WRT attendance.

1. People leaving games early.

2. Special designated student sections (specifically Law School) with empty seats.

1 is bogus. Many fans drive several hours, find parking, and walk several blocks to the games. I never fault someone getting a jump on traffic if the game is 52-0 at the start of the 4th. Their leaving isn’t a slap in the players’ faces.

2 is legit. Student seating should be first come, first served. Period.

Saban has not complained about a lack of season ticket holders, and to my knowledge there is no dearth of them. Would they prefer no FCS and an extra “name team”? Probably. And good news is they are getting them in upcoming seasons.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's part of the whole massaging of the schedule to ensure they get every possible advantage in earning the best record. An OOC schedule of Three Crappy one legged teams at home and one possibly decent team (sometimes that doesn't work out) at one of two "neutral" sites where your players have played before and that other team has never played at where your fans can drive to and fill the stadium. A schedule that somehow you miss certain teams in your own conference for more than five years. So bama students get WCU , Southern Miss and New Mexico State this season at home and again have no cool OOC game at someones house to go to. USC just had a home n home with texas and each won on their home turf. I went to the game at Austin and even though USC lost I loved the environment and wouldn't trade that for a home game and win against Azusa Pacific.
The thing is you Alabama fans think we bitch about your schedule because we don;t like you or think you're not that good. It's not that. We know you are great and we wish your team would schedule better and travel more because even though you would have kicked our ass I would have loved to have gone to Tuscaloosa to watch the game and I' sure your students would rather watch Bama USC at home and the opportunity to go to Cali rather than another team you have to google because you don;t know what the hell is a WCU is.

Last edited:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t accept anything, and I can’t change anything. I usually go to one game a year, and it depends on several factors, with quality of opponent being down the list.

2. Special designated student sections (specifically Law School) with empty seats.

1 is bogus. Many fans drive several hours, find parking, and walk several blocks to the games. I never fault someone getting a jump on traffic if the game is 52-0 at the start of the 4th. Their leaving isn’t a slap in the players’ faces.

Saban has not complained about a lack of season ticket holders, and to my knowledge there is no dearth of them. Would they prefer no FCS and an extra “name team”? Probably. And good news is they are getting them in upcoming seasons.
That extra “name team” may be coming. Who knows if Bama is using it to negotiate a better neutral site game pay day again?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That extra “name team” may be coming. Who knows if Bama is using it to negotiate a better neutral site game pay day again?

Maybe, and that’s good if they are. We need to keep one neutral site game. They are good for recruiting. There is a reason we play those in Georgia, Texas, and Florida.

Having a neutral site game plus a home and home with a name team is the best of both worlds.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, and that’s good if they are. We need to keep one neutral site game. They are good for recruiting. There is a reason we play those in Georgia, Texas, and Florida.

Having a neutral site game plus a home and home with a name team is the best of both worlds.
Well you do need extra games in Florida since you only play there like once every 15 years.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saban has a point on two. Texas recently got rid of that and it's really helped with student turn out and involvement. I haven't heard DKR be loud (relatively) like it currently is until Chris Del Conte became AD and fixed this kind of stuff. Some of that is we've sucked, and some of it was the same issue Saban is bringing up for you guys.

I'm just saying Bama fans deserve great games every other year in their home stadium OOC instead of the nuetral site games on opening weekend you've been getting most of the last decade. Home and homes is where it's at. Glad to hear it's getting fixed though.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heres an idea how about having your conference schedule ummmmmmm Georgia in Georgia more than once a decade . I read somewhere that they are in your conference. Wouldn't that take care of that whole we need a game in Georgia thing?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heres an idea how about having your conference schedule ummmmmmm Georgia in Georgia more than once a decade . I read somewhere that they are in your conference. Wouldn't that take care of that whole we need a game in Georgia thing?
Well they already play in Georgia like 7 out of 10 years, but it’s because the division doesn’t really have anyone at their level consistently.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban has a point on two. Texas recently got rid of that and it's really helped with student turn out and involvement. I haven't heard DKR be loud (relatively) like it currently is until Chris Del Conte became AD and fixed this kind of stuff. Some of that is we've sucked, and some of it was the same issue Saban is bringing up for you guys.

I'm just saying Bama fans deserve great games every other year in their home stadium OOC instead of the nuetral site games on opening weekend you've been getting most of the last decade. Home and homes is where it's at. Glad to hear it's getting fixed though.

Fair point.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol:

Georgia is in Georgia?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 years
15 Regular Season games.

Alabama vs Georgia 1969-2018

So 7.5 times in Georgia in 50 years. lol .Utah has been in the PAC for 8-9 years and Oregon and Washington have both played them 6-5 times and they aren't even in their division. But Alabama and Georgia get scheduled to play each other at each others home once in like 10 years. Nope , no scheduling manipulation by the SEC here.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 7.5 times in Georgia in 50 years. lol .Utah has been in the PAC for 8-9 years and Oregon and Washington have both played them 6-5 times and they aren't even in their division. But Alabama and Georgia get scheduled to play each other at each others home once in like 10 years. Nope , no scheduling manipulation by the SEC here.
Well you are counting only home games for Georgia v Alabama and every game for Washington and Utah. But agreed they need to do something about the pathetically low amount of times these cross division games are played.