• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Luck to Wilson going to be the same as Peyton to Brady?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. ones a pocket passer who can run very well. the other is a runner who doesnt play in the pocket well.

manning and brady were/are both pocket statues

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. ones a pocket passer who can run very well. the other is a runner who doesnt play in the pocket well.

manning and brady were/are both pocket statues
Career wise.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The simple answer is No. First off for the longest time Manning and Brady were easily the two best QB's in the league. AT least for the next 5 or so years good chance that Rodgers is still top dog. Next and maybe more importantly part of what made the Manning/Brady rivalry so great is they pretty much played (or their teams at least) each other every single year and sometimes twice. There is a good chance that Luck and Wilson will only play each other a handful of times in their career so it kind of hurts the rivalry when they don't even compete very often in the same game.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Career wise.
i get it, but theyre completely different QB's. brady and manning were near clones after the snap as far as playing style.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The simple answer is No. First off for the longest time Manning and Brady were easily the two best QB's in the league. AT least for the next 5 or so years good chance that Rodgers is still top dog. Next and maybe more importantly part of what made the Manning/Brady rivalry so great is they pretty much played (or their teams at least) each other every single year and sometimes twice. There is a good chance that Luck and Wilson will only play each other a handful of times in their career so it kind of hurts the rivalry when they don't even compete very often in the same game.
Good points. Rogers is top dog and looks to be so for a while and like you said RW and Luck will not being going head to head often.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck won't be shit if he doesn't get pieces around him. RW has that stellar defense. Luck is the better QB/passer but Wilson has the better team and fits that team really well.

Also PM and TB played lots of H2H

Last edited:

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What got me thinking about this is Russell's contract situation.

Tom has the titles, Peyton has the stats and money. Peyton, 1st overall pic, Brady 5th round.

Russell will never catch luck money wise and Luck will probably always have the stats, but Wilson has been to 2 superbowls. Luck, 1st overall, Russell 3rd round.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see what Wilson does with an actual receiving weapon first but I think it's pretty similar. Brady/Wilson play different but the key is they make few mistakes/turnovers, are pretty clutch (YES Wilson is entitled to one bad playoff game, jeez), and are quite efficient passers.

That said, it does seem VERY similar to how they started out. Brady is a very efficient passer/player who won his early Super Bowls on the back of a great defense. Peyton typically had electric offenses backed by mediocre defenses who one time got hot in the playoffs and won Peyton his only SBOWL. Doesn't seem like this is changing anytime soon with all the emphasis the Colts put on O in FA/Draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck won't be shit if he doesn't get pieces around him. RW has that stellar defense. Luck is the better QB/passer but Wilson has the better team and fits that team really well.

You basically just described Brady/Manning SPOT ON (at least early in their careers, which we have to compare at the moment).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom has the titles, Peyton has the stats and money. Peyton, 1st overall pic, Brady 5th round.
Russell will never catch luck money wise and Luck will probably always have the state, but Wilson has been to 2 superbowls.

Well at this point too early to tell on all of that. There is no telling what is going to happen with these two teams. The Seahawks when they pay Wilson top dollar could fall off as teams that pay QB's top dollar really do struggle to win the Super Bowl as they can't build the depth needed. At the same time maybe the Seahawks are in that perfect time where they could win a couple more in the next few years and really separate Wilson from Luck in championship pedigree. The NFL is just so hard to predict from season to season.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Russell will never catch luck money wise and Luck will probably always have the stats, but Wilson has been to 2 superbowls. Luck, 1st overall, Russell 3rd round.

I understand Peyton is the #1 career earner in the NFL, but lets not feel sorry Brady. He's #3.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what made Manning/Brady so special was their head to head matchups and what they meant to standings or even playoffs.

I don't really see Luck/Wilson getting as many h2h's because they are in different conferences. It could lead to a few Super Bowl matchups which would be awesome.

Also, poor title choice :D

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what made Manning/Brady so special was their head to head matchups and what they meant to standings or even playoffs.

I don't really see Luck/Wilson getting as many h2h's because they are in different conferences. It could lead to a few Super Bowl matchups which would be awesome.

Also, poor title choice :D
Title???

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thead should read Wilson vs. Luck or something; at least include Lucks name maybe?
Oh gotcha. I thought about it, but it got too long to include all 4 quarterbacks in the comparison

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's June...

I always giggle a little when someone assumes the coming season. Never thought about looking 3/4 years out.

manning to luck will forever be. Wilson to Brady seems a stretch to me

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton vs. Brady is the case of "Stats" versus "Winner"

Russell vs. Luck is the case of "Winner plus Stats with a worse offensive supporting cast" versus "This guy is supposedly more talented."

Russell is faster, more agile, a better leader, more calm, has a stronger arm, a more accurate arm, is a better decision maker, and is physically stronger. There is not a single notable trait that favors Andrew Luck. If you think Andrew Luck is better than Russell Wilson, you are literally delusional.

I could go over the stats, but I've done it enough. The response will be "but Russ' defense is good" and "Beast mode is great." Then, I'll ask for some evidence that good defenses somehow inflate a quarterback's efficiency stats. There will be silence from the Luck backers, because nothing suggests that phenomenon actually exists. I will point out that Lynch was, by all indications, an average running back before Russ opened up the read-option for him. Once again, there will be silence.

It should bother everyone that the Luck is considered better than Wilson by some so-called experts. It's a reminder that some people will ignore all evidence of reality around them, and those of us who don't look like champions or weren't born with hype or silver spoons will always be doubted. But at the end of the day, they can't change reality. And in reality, Russell Wilson will be the one holding the Lombardi Trophy next year. He's the one whop 100+ Million people were watching tear up the Patriots without a single drafted wide receiver. The hype machine got massacred with two future HOF WRs. Hype doesn't win in the long run. Talent and merit does. And that's why, despite what anyone says, Andrew Luck will never be able near the player that Russell Wilson is.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton vs. Brady is the case of "Stats" versus "Winner"

Russell vs. Luck is the case of "Winner plus Stats with a worse offensive supporting cast" versus "This guy is supposedly more talented."

Russell is faster, more agile, a better leader, more calm, has a stronger arm, a more accurate arm, is a better decision maker, and is physically stronger. There is not a single notable trait that favors Andrew Luck. If you think Andrew Luck is better than Russell Wilson, you are literally delusional.

I could go over the stats, but I've done it enough. The response will be "but Russ' defense is good" and "Beast mode is great." Then, I'll ask for some evidence that good defenses somehow inflate a quarterback's efficiency stats. There will be silence from the Luck backers, because nothing suggests that phenomenon actually exists. I will point out that Lynch was, by all indications, an average running back before Russ opened up the read-option for him. Once again, there will be silence.

It should bother everyone that the Luck is considered better than Wilson by some so-called experts. It's a reminder that some people will ignore all evidence of reality around them, and those of us who don't look like champions or weren't born with hype or silver spoons will always be doubted. But at the end of the day, they can't change reality. And in reality, Russell Wilson will be the one holding the Lombardi Trophy next year. He's the one whop 100+ Million people were watching tear up the Patriots without a single drafted wide receiver. The hype machine got massacred with two future HOF WRs. Hype doesn't win in the long run. Talent and merit does. And that's why, despite what anyone says, Andrew Luck will never be able near the player that Russell Wilson is.

it should bother everyone that luck is considered to be great when he isnt .. but he is the new nfl poster child so he has that going for him an all .. if he is soooooo good why hasent he been to a sb yet ?? luck is a good average QB peroid

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Russell Wilson can throw the ball 70 yards in the air easily. He has a bigger arm than Andrew Luck. That is a fact that anyone who has ever witnessed the two warm-up will tell you. If you were to line up all NFL QBs and measure how far they can throw the ball normally and how far they can throw the ball with a wrist flick, Russ would be a top five QB in both and very well may be #1. Arm strength isn't everything when it comes to the better arm (see Russell, Jamarcus), but it is a big part and Russ has Luck beat.

And as for accuracy, the numbers speak for themselves. Russ has a completion percentage that is five points higher, despite the fact that over the course of his career, his passes have been for basically identical distances to Luck. Indeed, Russ leads his receivers better. This is probably why Russ has 7.9 YPA for his career, compared to 7.1 for Luck. In a typical set of three downs, Russell Wilson is averaging 2.5 more YPA. Not bad for a "game manager." And of course, we have the Interception numbers: Luck has thrown 43 interceptions to 26 for Russ. Adjusting for throws, Russ throws about 15-20% fewer interceptions, and he has done it playing in the best defensive division in football (by a lot) with a weak supporting cast., including receivers who drop a ton of passes. Of Russ' 26 career picks, at least ten of the have been tipped at the line or dropped by his receivers.

Lastly, just watch the two play. It's not even close. Look at the pass to win the NFC Championship game. Those are the passes Russ makes every week. He throws passes into traffic and completes it. Luck's "incredible" plays are always throwing it to TY Hilton when he is 15 yards clear of any defender. Russ doesn't have that luxury.

So Russell Wilson has a bigger arm and a more accurate arm. His passing stats are universally better when adjusted to the numbers of throws. I just don't understand how anyone could think Luck is a better passer than Russ. I actually think it is much easier to make an argument for Luck as a better rusher than Russ, but people don't want to do that ever. It's easier to keep stereotyping Pick #75, the game manager who was gonna be a career backup, then it is to deal with reality.