• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rolando McClain discussion

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit when we signed him, I got extremely excited. Watching him play at Bama, I thought he was gonna be the next great LB in the NFL. After reading his story about his retiremenets I still didnt care. I thought wearing the Star might change some things. If it didnt work out , we werent gonna lose much- but that never crossed my mind. All i pictured was him tearing Gore and Kap up week 1. The problem with that is, I think our brass thought the same thing. I have read nothing but praise for him from JJ to Stephen to JG. I have read everything I could about TC this year, and his name really didnt show up much . I thought well if they are saying it, he is obviously doing it. I watched his 2 or 3 interviews with the media. He never struck me from listening to him that he was excited about playing. He is a mellow guy, that actually said JJ convinced him to play again. He then asked his 3 yr ols what he thought. I really started questioning it but never said anything. I just assumed I was jumping to conclusions. I really think the coaches are doing everything they can to make this guy comfortable. They have let him run with the 1s recently. I know he hasnt played in nearly 2 yrs and his body probably isnt ready for this right now, but again I think us fans and the coaching staff really want it more than him right now. I hope like hell Im wrong. Feel free to rip this.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO You need to stop hanging on every bit of news you read/hear and be a little patient and focus on the big picture. No one has won or lost a job based on one scrimmage and a handful of practices in pads with little to no hitting.

When we signed him I didn't expect him to make the 53 man roster. Now I'm thinking he has a chance to contribute. Like you said he hasn't played in a long time. Give him some time to get into Football shape and then see what he's got. With or without him I'm convinced Holloman is our best MLB, so it's not a big deal to me either way. Although of course I'd like him to win the job and play like a stud, I just don't really expect it. Nothing bad can really come of this. Worst case we swung and missed, but I think it was a good move to take the chance. Anyway, lets not write anyone off before we even start the preseason games. Give it a couple of weeks before you start making up your mind.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. I wish I could.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a coach of some sort, right? Do you bench a kid just because he has one bad practice or game, or make a kid your starting QB just because he makes one nice throw in practice? You basically do a version of that with your opinions on the Cowboys based on one liners you read from other people who are watching. You were down on guys before they even put pads on. It's fun to follow things, but you need to keep it in perspective, especially when you aren't going off of your own opinion. That is why I always say I believe my own eyes more than a stat sheet or some writer who may or may not have an agenda and may or may not really even be paying attention.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I kind of was going off my own eyes with this and ears. Being a coach, you learn to pay close attention to certain things. Body Language for one tells a lot. Look , I have never seen McClain do an interview until these past few weeks. To me, he didnt exactly sell himself that he was really wanting to play. Heck, I make mistakes too- I had you pegged for mid 30s.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ro kicked ass and took names both in games and in practice. He was the unquestioned leader of the 2009 championship team. When Bama beat Florida in the SECCG he wouldn't let teammates douse Saban. "We're not finished", he said. When Alabama beat Texas he was 2nd behind Saban to hoist the trophy, saying, "give it to Mike(Johnson) next", after he had raised it. I hope he can get his head straight and return to form. He will dominate if he can.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ro kicked ass and took names both in games and in practice. He was the unquestioned leader of the 2009 championship team. When Bama beat Florida in the SECCG he wouldn't let teammates douse Saban. "We're not finished", he said. When Alabama beat Texas he was 2nd behind Saban to hoist the trophy, saying, "give it to Mike(Johnson) next", after he had raised it. I hope he can get his head straight and return to form. He will dominate if he can.

I totally agree. He has all the talent, but some of those great , great college players live for Saturdays instead of Sundays. There are no Iron Bowls, 3rd Saturdays in Octobers, no walking into the Tiger den on a Saturday night, no more SEC East vs West, etc.. in the NFL. Im not saying this is his case, but Oakland sure didnt help matters.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolando is from my hometown. The best thing I've heard out of him in the past 5 years was when he said he wouldn't step foot in the city anymore. That's good news because I know the area he grew up in well, it's nothing but bad news for him. It's a decent sized city, but still impossible to avoid the people he needs to avoid.

He has attitude problems in general and has for a long time. He needs a coach that will keep him in check the way Saban did. If he isn't kept in check, it's only a matter of time before he melts down. He is working on that, and I wish him the best, but those things can be hidden for awhile, but they rarely leave completely.

He also has Crohns disease, which can be a problem for him at times. He seems to deal with it pretty good for the most part, but it does affect him some.

I really really hope he gets things together. He was a beast at Alabama and he is actually a very smart defensive mind. He was the leader for our defense in 2009, and basically kept people doing the right things on the field. He has a lot of potential if he can keep his mind right.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. It sounds like he has more problems than just a tight hamstring. Supposedly the doctors cleared him to practice yesterday and he still didn't practice.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a coach of some sort, right? Do you bench a kid just because he has one bad practice or game, or make a kid your starting QB just because he makes one nice throw in practice? You basically do a version of that with your opinions on the Cowboys based on one liners you read from other people who are watching. You were down on guys before they even put pads on. It's fun to follow things, but you need to keep it in perspective, especially when you aren't going off of your own opinion. That is why I always say I believe my own eyes more than a stat sheet or some writer who may or may not have an agenda and may or may not really even be paying attention.

Being a coach brings out pessimism to its highest. No matter how good things look , there is always something that needs to be fixed. Coaches strive for perfection. In other words, most coaches goals are unattainable because perfection doesn't happen. Any little thing can become a problem. I'm not a coach for the Dallas cowboys, but I would think the mc clain situation is on their minds.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a coach brings out pessimism to its highest. No matter how good things look , there is always something that needs to be fixed. Coaches strive for perfection. In other words, most coaches goals are unattainable because perfection doesn't happen. Any little thing can become a problem. I'm not a coach for the Dallas cowboys, but I would think the mc clain situation is on their minds.

I coached for 20 plus years and I think this may be a large part of your problem unless it's about you and not the kids

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I coached for 20 plus years and I think this may be a large part of your problem unless it's about you and not the kids

Its never been about me. Its always about my players. I prepare them for the next level the best way I can. Wins and Losses are secondary to me for the most part. Taking pictures with my players as they sign a scholarship to get a chance to get a 4 yr education remains higher on the list than any state championship, southeast east regional championship, world series, etc that I have ever been a part. Now the wins come in and whatever diminishes my players to get a shot at certain exposure becomes a problem. I try to eliminate those problems. / As far as McClain- ever since I heard his first interview I have had my doubts. These coaches have coddled him and praised him and basically are ready to give him the job. Anxious to see if he is even on the sideline watching tomorrow.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get what I said wrong as a coach. Baseball is the most individual team sport there is. Football is a bit different. Im assuming you coached football- If you are watching game film and your RB goes 70 for a TD, but you noticed your WRs checked out and stopped blocking after an initial block - I think you are correcting them. That 70 yard TD , just like that 3 run HR look perfect on TV - but they rarely ever are

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mental is a huge part- I wouldnt go 90 percent though.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are. I coach all ages though up until 20

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Im missing your point. My thing is Rolando McClain and the headache he is possibly causing right now.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You honestly think baseball is 90 percent mental