• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STAR WARS CELEBRATION: ROGUE ONE FOOTAGE AND PREMISE REVEALED

More details about spin-off film Star Wars: Rogue One were revealed today during a panel at this weekend's Star Wars Celebration.

Star Wars: Rogue One is set after Episode 3 and before Episode 4 in an era without Jedi.

Star Wars: Rogue One follows a rogue band of resistance fighters who must unite to steal the Death Star plans.

According to director Gareth Edwards, Rogue One aims for realism more than previous Star Wars films, with several crew members having worked on war movies like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and Zero Dark Thirty.

"It comes down to a group who don't have magical powers, who somehow have to bring hope to the galaxy," said Edwards.

The footage we saw opens with December 2016 against a black background. We hear Obi-Wan's monologue about Jedi Knights being the "guardians of peace" from A New Hope, and then see a bird's eye view of a jungle planet.

A TIE fighter zooms overhead and the camera pushes forward to reveal the Death Star looming large in the daytime sky, right up close to the planet. Frantic mens' voices crack over a radio as the title card reveals Star Wars: Rogue One with the word "Anthology" in small letters beneath.

Here's what we know about cast and crew: Felicity Jones will play a Rebel soldier. Neil Scanlan will head the creature team, as he did on the film Prometheus. Neil Lamont and Doug Chiang are the production designers.

The film has Zero Dark Thirty's director of photography Greig Fraser on cinematography, with Neil Corbould on special effects. Filming for Rogue One will take place in the UK and all around the world.

I like it that we're getting a Star Wars film that doesn't revolve around the Jedis and those who don't possess such powers. The video quality is rough as someone filmed it during the screening, but you can hear the obi-wan voice over as you're flying along a jungle valley, a tie-fighter zooms through, and as you emerge out of it, you can see the outline of the death star orbiting the planet closely.

The leaked trailer is available at this site:

Star Wars Rogue One Trailer Leaks! Death Star Revealed!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this is either gonna be really good or pretty lame with no in between.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to be getting 6 Star Wars universe films in 6 years. The three main 7-9 series, and these 3 anthology movies.
I'm more concerned with over-saturation of Star Wars and the fatigue most will be feeling by years 4-6. Disney paid out 4 billion dollars for LucasFilm and the rights to all the SW related material. It was a massive investment. Soo much is on the line with these being successful, I think the odds of them screwing this up will be small.
But again, I'm worried about SW burnout. I love great sci-fi and hollywood can be really hit or miss lately with it, but I think many are feeling burned out on how many marvel movies have been coming out lately. They're all starting to follow the same formula and it's getting pretty stale.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh.

The first “Star Wars” spinoff, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” is in crisis, and the movie will have to go into expensive reshoots over the summer, sources exclusively confirmed to Page Six. The much-anticipated “Rogue One” is due for release on Dec. 16, but we’re told bosses at Disney are not fully satisfied with the first cut from director Gareth Edwards.

One Hollywood source told us, “The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and ‘Rogue One’ will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July.”

Edwards is well-known as a risk-taking director, but has also been reported to prefer to keep studio influence at a minimum. The source added, “Disney won’t take a back seat, and is demanding changes, as the movie isn’t testing well.”

Reps for Edwards didn’t get back to us last night. A Disney source added, “The filmmaking team and the studio always anticipated additional shooting and second unit work to make the film the absolute best it can be, and the actors were aware there would be additional shooting. Coming off The Force Awakens, there’s an incredibly high bar for this movie and we have a responsibility to the franchise and to the fans to deliver the best possible movie we can.”

Since this is Disney were talking about, "didn't test well", can mean alot of things, including it wasn't kid friendly enough and merchandise sales wouldn't be in the billions. Wonder what the hell is truly going on with this.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh.

The first “Star Wars” spinoff, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” is in crisis, and the movie will have to go into expensive reshoots over the summer, sources exclusively confirmed to Page Six. The much-anticipated “Rogue One” is due for release on Dec. 16, but we’re told bosses at Disney are not fully satisfied with the first cut from director Gareth Edwards.

One Hollywood source told us, “The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and ‘Rogue One’ will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July.”

Edwards is well-known as a risk-taking director, but has also been reported to prefer to keep studio influence at a minimum. The source added, “Disney won’t take a back seat, and is demanding changes, as the movie isn’t testing well.”

Reps for Edwards didn’t get back to us last night. A Disney source added, “The filmmaking team and the studio always anticipated additional shooting and second unit work to make the film the absolute best it can be, and the actors were aware there would be additional shooting. Coming off The Force Awakens, there’s an incredibly high bar for this movie and we have a responsibility to the franchise and to the fans to deliver the best possible movie we can.”

Since this is Disney were talking about, "didn't test well", can mean alot of things, including it wasn't kid friendly enough and merchandise sales wouldn't be in the billions. Wonder what the hell is truly going on with this.
Well making a spin off is a joke anyway. Star Whores at it again.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC just announced new Rouge One trailer will be premiered during this Thursday's Olympics primetime.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though we pretty much know how this is going to end (was summarized for us in a few seconds in the very first Star Wars opening crawl), this movie looks awesome! Pretty sure I'm more pumped for this than I was The Force Awakens. It definitely have potential to be better.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rendition of that John Williams music is pretty epic.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that actually get a shot of the Death Star from a completely different angle than what we are use to. Despite the fact that it's a sphere in space, it seems like we always see it with the weapon in the top half.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I'm concerned about, with all these Star Wars movies coming out every year, is that it will lose it luster. The anticipation of the prequels, the anticipation of Force Awakens. There were years/decades separating each movie. I hope it doesn't get to saturated. I look forward to watching a new SW movie each year. Hope each movie is better then the last.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give it 2.5 stars out of four stars, because I am a Star Wars fan.

That is about the best that can be said.

The beginning was interesting, then it bogged down.

Then it really bogged down. I was yawning during the movie and we started watching it at 11 AM, through 1 PM.

The ending was good. Darth Vader is a badass.

I recommend it for die hard Star Wars fans, an maybe people new to the Star Wars Franchise so they can tie it into Episode IV, the original Star Wars.

it is way better than Star Wars Jar Jar Binks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fight and battle scenes were excellent. The first third of the movies was slow and disjointed. The last third of the movie was excellent.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two replies, two different takes on which part of the movie was slow.

Heh.

I liked it.

Had a discussion with a co-worker this AM about the movie, he too thought the beginning was unnecessary and they could have gotten to the battle stuff sooner.

Horrible spoilers ensue.

Jyn is setup as someone who is going to be a character moving forward, she's obviously THE protagonist of our little tale. In order for us to buy that, they had to go through the motions of her backstory. Plus, obviously, the link to dear ol' Dad, whom without her, wouldn't have back-doored the D.Star. Without the backstory, her eventual death is not as powerful. It's not just HER sacrifice, but her whole families' sacrifice.

To me also, the war movie connection was kinda' spot on. It was trying to do 'Dirty Dozen' and 'Guns of Navaronne,' without the formers gigantic runtime. Even though we didn't get much in the way of character development outside of the two main characters on the mission, we did get glimpses of the characters of the two guys from the temple.

Thirdly, the DECISION to go on the mission by all the other 'assassins' and other ne'er do wells of the resistance doesn't make sense unless they see the destruction of the temple city.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen it yet. How many stars would you give it out of four?

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it, I give it 1 star.

Disney is milking the series for all its worth. The worst part is that you know how the movie ends. Anybody that knows the Star Wars movies, already knows the rebels get the death star plans. So you know even at the beginning of the film that no matter what happens, the rebels somehow succeed which ruins the overall plot when you know the ending. You go see this movie because you love the "Star Wars" brand not the actual individual movie.

The real money made off the star wars franchise isn't necessarily the movies itself, its the toys, video games, and licensing that bring real revenue to Disney. So basically Rogue One is just one giant sales pitch for the all new products they will make off the brand.

It's also hilarious how desperate Disney is to get women into Star Wars. How many more Star Wars movies are gonna have the main character be the same tom-boy female character. The supporting cast was also hilarious, a Russian rebel, middle-eastern imperial pilot, C-3PO like droid, and 2 Asians one a blind man with ninja like skills who has ties to the force, and the other a space samurai. Disney more concerned about diversity and expanding the brands demographics than actually making a decent story.

I think Disney is incapable of making the brand better or breaking off from the original concept. They should try make films off the books that so many of the fans love.

I'd like to see Christopher Nolan take a shot at Star Wars once...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disney is milking the series for all its worth. The worst part is that you know how the movie ends. Anybody that knows the Star Wars movies, already knows the rebels get the death star plans. So you know even at the beginning of the film that no matter what happens, the rebels somehow succeed which ruins the overall plot when you know the ending. You go see this movie because you love the "Star Wars" brand not the actual individual movie.

The real money made off the star wars franchise isn't necessarily the movies itself, its the toys, video games, and licensing that bring real revenue to Disney. So basically Rogue One is just one giant sales pitch for the all new products they will make off the brand.

It's also hilarious how desperate Disney is to get women into Star Wars. How many more Star Wars movies are gonna have the main character be the same tom-boy female character. The supporting cast was also hilarious, a Russian rebel, middle-eastern imperial pilot, C-3PO like droid, and 2 Asians one a blind man with ninja like skills who has ties to the force, and the other a space samurai. Disney more concerned about diversity and expanding the brands demographics than actually making a decent story.

I think Disney is incapable of making the brand better or breaking off from the original concept. They should try make films off the books that so many of the fans love.

All those words and you didn't even talk about the movie.

Criticizing the movie because you know that they will get the plans for the Death Star is like criticizing The Longest Day because we already know that the Allies successfully invaded Normandy.

Who was the Russian rebel you are speaking of? Riz Ahmet is British. Diego Luna is Mexican.

I take it you are one of those people who hates when non-white males are the main actors?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Add another to the 'not enough white guys,' list.

And, you know how it's going to end? Heh. Really?

Up next, Titanic spoilers.