• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rodgers

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know where to put this, but I just had to rant.

I HATE how much they brought up the Aaron Rodgers could have been a Niner but now has a chip on his shoulder. As if he would have been relaxed otherwise. As if it was an absolute sure thing what would have happened if he came here, etc. But that's not what bugs me.

Rodgers - If you wanted to be a Niner so bad, you would have shut up and done the things Nolan asked you in the combine/team interviews without questioning them! He had every chance to be on our team and he was a fucking ass about it. Sometimes you need to check your ego/personality at the door when doing an interview for a boss you want to hire you. I would have embraced him here and I know the last 8 years would have been better, but it's been eight years and that line is so played out. Stop complaining about not being on our team! (Though I did hear less this time than in September.)

Yes, we could have still picked Smith if Rodgers was smooth and obedient, but the point is, he screwed it up and now every time he does well or we play him, he's some Jordan with a chip on his shoulder. :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt the real story have the niners planning to get Rodgers? There was a deal in place to trade Alex to Tampa Bay and with their pick, they would get Rodgers?

Tampa took Cadillac and decided to keep him

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt the real story have the niners planning to get Rodgers? There was a deal in place to trade Alex to Tampa Bay and with their pick, they would get Rodgers?

Tampa took Cadillac and decided to keep him

I don't know, man. I've heard that, but I've also heard people disclaim that. I know I've heard it from multiple sources that Rodgers asked the coaches why they were asking him to do some of the drills - in his defense, some were weird, but I've heard about his ego and put the questioning to go with that, it sounded like he was difficult for the coaching staff and Nolan wanted a Yes Man. Some could say that could be a bad combination and therefore, what happened was best for both parties, but I'm sure if Rodgers panned out, they'd move on.

Of course, he could have come here and struggled differently than Smith, but we'll never know. Rodgers was in a pro-style offense, but with a cursed coach (?) and despite Favre not wanting to train him, he did learn from Favre and from NFL observation in general. Rodgers, IMO, would have been better than Smith, but Rodgers in GB is better than Rodgers in SF. But I could be wrong.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, man. I've heard that, but I've also heard people disclaim that. I know I've heard it from multiple sources that Rodgers asked the coaches why they were asking him to do some of the drills - in his defense, some were weird, but I've heard about his ego and put the questioning to go with that, it sounded like he was difficult for the coaching staff and Nolan wanted a Yes Man. Some could say that could be a bad combination and therefore, what happened was best for both parties, but I'm sure if Rodgers panned out, they'd move on.

Of course, he could have come here and struggled differently than Smith, but we'll never know. Rodgers was in a pro-style offense, but with a cursed coach (?) and despite Favre not wanting to train him, he did learn from Favre and from NFL observation in general. Rodgers, IMO, would have been better than Smith, but Rodgers in GB is better than Rodgers in SF. But I could be wrong.

Rodgers had a lot of time to develop instead of getting the snot beat out of him. Another reason (after the fact so who knows if it's just revisionist history) the niners took Smith was that the niners were going to be bad for years and that they wanted a mentally tough QB who could make it through the rebuild. His shortcomings aside, Alex certainly is mentally tough.

Agreed that the Rodgers chip on shoulder spiel is tired and the media should let it go.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is weird that it has been 8 years and he won't let it go. Didn't the big baby make a comment about it at last year's ESPY's too? I seem to sort of remember that, and calling him a douchebag because he took a shot at the 49ers during his acceptance speech.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers had a lot of time to develop instead of getting the snot beat out of him. Another reason (after the fact so who knows if it's just revisionist history) the niners took Smith was that the niners were going to be bad for years and that they wanted a mentally tough QB who could make it through the rebuild. His shortcomings aside, Alex certainly is mentally tough.

Agreed that the Rodgers chip on shoulder spiel is tired and the media should let it go.

Yep. I've said it a couple times here, but when Alex decided to stay here after 2010 instead of going to back someone up like Matt Leinart did, I saw a lot of his mental toughness. Leinart, instead of battling with Skelton, basically asked to be released and went to back up Matt Schaub. He later got his chance when Schaub got injured on a QB sneak, but at the time of the signing with Houston, Schaub was established. People suggested SD for Smith backing up Rivers with Norv again. There were others, but all backup spots - some said to go back someone up and become a great backup and maybe one day be a stop gap (David Carr). Why not be a stop gap here and perhaps start next year?

Here was the best shot for Smith especially right after 2010. But people take that for granted. He may have played so poorly, even in this training wheeled offense, last year. That would have been career suicide. He did well instead and now he may be playing somewhere else next year, though he's not established. So there was some risk and now some reward (not steep by any means).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rodgers wouldn't have survived the nolan years

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't know where to put this, but I just had to rant.

I HATE how much they brought up the Aaron Rodgers could have been a Niner but now has a chip on his shoulder. As if he would have been relaxed otherwise. As if it was an absolute sure thing what would have happened if he came here, etc. But that's not what bugs me.

Rodgers - If you wanted to be a Niner so bad, you would have shut up and done the things Nolan asked you in the combine/team interviews without questioning them! He had every chance to be on our team and he was a fucking ass about it. Sometimes you need to check your ego/personality at the door when doing an interview for a boss you want to hire you. I would have embraced him here and I know the last 8 years would have been better, but it's been eight years and that line is so played out. Stop complaining about not being on our team! (Though I did hear less this time than in September.)

Yes, we could have still picked Smith if Rodgers was smooth and obedient, but the point is, he screwed it up and now every time he does well or we play him, he's some Jordan with a chip on his shoulder. :2cents:

Yup, it sure looks like Rodgers really blew it didn't he? MVP and SB win. Yup, he really blew it by not sucking up Mike Nolan, destroyer of quarterbacks. What the hell kind of coach needs a QB who is going to be such a yes man?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, it sure looks like Rodgers really blew it didn't he? MVP and SB win. Yup, he really blew it by not sucking up Mike Nolan, destroyer of quarterbacks. What the hell kind of coach needs a QB who is going to be such a yes man?

I don't mean for his career - he didn't screw anything up there. His career was shorter quantity of games in GB due to sitting on the bench, but the quality was improved. (Maybe he'd have gotten injured here, so maybe not the quantity. I'm just talking about him being upset he's not a Niner. If we win the SB this year, we'll have the same number of timeouts and be the hotter team. He can take his MVP and worship it everyday if he so wishes.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
aaronlips.gif

charles ponzi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yeah that's the thing. He should quit the tired "chip-on-the-shoulder" act.

He should thank his lucky stars he ended up in a GREAT situation. Hell, even Matt Flynn got like 500 yards with that offense. He has great receivers and OC and if he throws an incompletion, it's usually flagged (e.g. Nelson in 4th last night) unless he's throwing it away.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we picked Rodgers, we probably don't have Kaep. Kaep has a long way to go, but maybe everything will work out in the end.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, Rodgers is blessed to have not been drafted by the Niners. Mike Nolan, whether you're in denial or not, has had a hand along with McCloughan in putting this current roster together. However, he is not head coaching material and his handling of Alex Smith during his shoulder injury was an epic failure at best. AR12 was able to learn under Favre's tutelage and pick up essentially right where BF4 left off.

Btw, you guys know I'm all about Cal Legacy having attended there and all, so what Rodgers has done in his career thus far has been significant. He was a poor man's pistol type of QB in a pro offense at Cal (ability to run better than average and ability to throw better than average) but has evolved into one of the game's top 3 - 4 QB's. Everything takes place for a reason and both GB and SF have benefited subsequently.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't your problem be more with the media than with Rodgers? Whenever he's asked about it around here, he puts it in the past and leaves it there. The clips they showed of him saying he would make them wish they'd drafted him....were from his draft day. In recent years the chip on his shoulder was more about the fans jumping on him over the Favre thing. That ended with the Super Bowl. Don't let the media dictate your reality.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we picked Rodgers, we probably don't have Kaep. Kaep has a long way to go, but maybe everything will work out in the end.

for me, given this choice i'd still have taken Rodgers back in 2005.