• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Richard Sherman More or Less Respect Now

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RENTON, Wash. -- Seven months after his team lost in the Super Bowl, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman has gone to bat for the opponent.
Sherman, reiterating thoughts that Tom Brady's four-game suspension was too severe, said Wednesday that he's happy the punishment was overturned while downplaying cheating allegations against the Patriots.
"Everybody does their things a little differently, but at the end of the day, it's handled between the lines," Sherman said. "And if they man up and they beat you straight up, they beat you straight up. You can say they knew your plays or they watched this or they watched that, but a lot of times if you watch film good enough, you find good indicators. You find things. So if you're studying the game the right way, you go out there understanding what plays are coming, and you know when the plays are coming. But can you execute? Can 11 guys stop the other 11 from executing their play?
And at the end of the day, that's what it's about. You can say you stole scripts or whatever it is, but they still have to win the game. They still have to intercept the ball. They still have to execute. Eleven guys have to execute at the same time. And that's what they did, so give them credit. If there's hanky-panky going on, they've gotten away with it.
"Like they say, if you didn't get caught, then it wasn't cheating."
Sherman took issue with the process that led to the lifting of Brady suspension, but the cornerback said he is happy with the end result.

It's just guys getting justice, guys not being persecuted for things they didn't do, getting a fair trial of sorts. A lot of times in this league, it's guilty until proven innocent."

I think it's great for him and great for their organization to have him back," Sherman said. "But it's just guys getting justice, guys not being persecuted for things they didn't do, getting a fair trial of sorts. A lot of times in this league, it's guilty until proven innocent sometimes. And it's good to see guys be able to get a fair trial. Unfortunately, it had to go so long. But it is what it is."
Sherman said he isn't certain whether the Brady case will promote change in how discipline is handled going forward.
"I'm not sure, honestly. Maybe," Sherman said. "But certain things are etched in stone of sorts. Just like players don't like change, neither do owners and things like that, so we'll see.
"Obviously, certain players have been disciplined and re-disciplined. And obviously we've seen how the trials have gone, but I think that amongst a few other things are in line for the next CBA. And I'm sure owners have their own list of things that they want to talk about. But that's a few years away."
Weighing in last month with USA Today, Sherman said Brady's punishment was more severe than the Patriots' punishment was as a team, a result "that should bring up some red flags," he said. "But nobody's talking about that."
"Owners can only be fined so much. There's a cap," Sherman told USA Today Sports. "And Brady gets fined [roughly $2 million]. Whether the crimes are the same or not, a suspension is a suspension, a fine is a fine. Game checks."

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one have some new found respect for Sherman. Certainley this article plays into that. But last year he had very few rants/outbursts than in the previous years. At the end of the SB he went over and found Brady kneeling. Stuck his hand out and waited for Brady to finish whatever it was Brady was doing (praying, contemplating, thinking)?

Good to see him IMHO starting to mature.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one have some new found respect for Sherman. Certainley this article plays into that. But last year he had very few rants/outbursts than in the previous years. At the end of the SB he went over and found Brady kneeling. Stuck his hand out and waited for Brady to finish whatever it was Brady was doing (praying, contemplating, thinking)?

Good to see him IMHO starting to mature.
Don't think it is maturing. He always thought he was very good, but over looked due to PR. So he had a plan to get his play noticed. Mission accomplished. Now he can drop the persona.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this have to do with respect? He has an opinion like millions of others.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was he had been viewd by many as a punk. His act of shaking hands after an extremely tough loss in the SB combined with him talking about getting beat on the field by 11 men not making excuses has helped to earn my respect.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if he truly means what he said or just trying to get good pr on his side. If it is truly genuine then yes I do respect him more than I did in the past.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was he had been viewd by many as a punk. His act of shaking hands after an extremely tough loss in the SB combined with him talking about getting beat on the field by 11 men not making excuses has helped to earn my respect.
I've always respected his play on the field. What comes out of his mouth has little to no impact on how much I respect him.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had my respect at the end of that devastating SB loss with the Brady handshake ... a spontaneous, and thus sincere reaction

... but it's best if people of substance not speak of the patriot bitch hunt ...

that should be left to us lowlifes ...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying you are seeing now what our fans have been saying all along? :noidea: Cool?

Sherman has always had those big boy views of the game. All fans outside of our region base their views on is the stuff he says in the heat of passion on the field. Much of that calculated to do exactly what it does. He has always been able to laugh at himself and give props when either he, or the team loses. It is a gross mischaracterization to base everything on those outbursts. It's a mental part of the game to him. That's it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman has always done this. He clapped at Roddy White when White beat him for a TD in the NFC division game. He said that the deflated balls BEFORE the SBOWL was a non-issue and Indy just got beat. The guy also donates the most money out of all NFL athletes to charity. He's a great upstanding guy and generally always has kind things to say.

The only thing people have against him is the NFC Conference game where he beat the REAL PUNK Michael Crabtree and was getting interviewed in the heat of the moment. Even Erin Andrews was like, "ARE YOU KIDDING!? NFL has been waiting for a player like this, he handled it just fine! I just didn't want to appear like I was favoring sides, and trying to be careful with follow up questions."

Whatevs.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Erin Andrews thing is in most people's minds.

That was pretty outrageous but mostly he's alright. Still have to laugh at his four fingers during the SB though~

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman has always done this. He clapped at Roddy White when White beat him for a TD in the NFC division game. He said that the deflated balls BEFORE the SBOWL was a non-issue and Indy just got beat. The guy also donates the most money out of all NFL athletes to charity. He's a great upstanding guy and generally always has kind things to say.

The only thing people have against him is the NFC Conference game where he beat the REAL PUNK Michael Crabtree and was getting interviewed in the heat of the moment. Even Erin Andrews was like, "ARE YOU KIDDING!? NFL has been waiting for a player like this, he handled it just fine! I just didn't want to appear like I was favoring sides, and trying to be careful with follow up questions."

Whatevs.
Stop it we're giving him credit but let's not get crazy. There have been waaaayyyyy more as you like to describe outbursts then just the rant after the SF game. Also he doesn't give the most money. That article only took into account those athletes and those specific charities.

He does a lot in the community without a doubt. A great defender even if he only covers 1/3 of the field. If called upon I'm sure he can cover all over the field. He's becoming a man vs. a punk.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think it is maturing. He always thought he was very good, but over looked due to PR. So he had a plan to get his play noticed. Mission accomplished. Now he can drop the persona.

Yep, he has his contract, he has his endorsements which means he has his $$$. Ever notice that content people are less vocal than those that aren't?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Erin Andrews thing is in most people's minds.

That was pretty outrageous but mostly he's alright. Still have to laugh at his four fingers during the SB though~
I have a different Erin Andrews video in my mind....hold on, what were we talking about again? I just got sidetracked...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does a lot in the community without a doubt. A great defender even if he only covers 1/3 of the field. If called upon I'm sure he can cover all over the field. He's becoming a man vs. a punk.

He never was a punk.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We must now respect someone because h gave an opinion on a hotly debated question?

huh??

What the heck does answering his opinion on deflategate have anything to do with RESPECT??

I don't understand the connection.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We must now respect someone because h gave an opinion on a hotly debated question?

huh??

What the heck does answering his opinion on deflategate have anything to do with RESPECT??

I don't understand the connection.
Go re-read the entire thread again.