• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Resting Players

What's your opinion on fining teams/coaches for resting players?

• Dumbest Thing Ever

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • They shouldn't but it makes some sense

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Justified

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think players are probably babied too much and I understand because of the TV deals and fans, etc. why the NBA would be frustrated with it in big-time games. But I also think it would be/is the dumbest thing ever if they fine teams for doing such (I think they actually did that to the Spurs a few years ago in a game vs the Heat)! That should be every NBA team and coach's right to rest whoever they want, whenever they want for whatever reason that they want. Fining them for that is ridiculous.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's justified as long as the tanking teams such as the suns get penalized for resting players as well

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted for potato salad because it's always a winner. Especially the kind with bacon and cut up hard boiled eggs.

As for the point of the poll. For the most part resting, at least the way it's handled these days is bullshit. Players in the past had far worse travel, far worse accommodations and played back to back to back games. In fact, the '72 Lakers played 4 sets of back to back to back games during their 33 game win streak and that was with 3 starters who were 30 and older.

Having said that, rest is important, but it used to be done at the end of the season when playoff positions were already secured.

The problem with the way rest is done now is that it cheats the fans, especially when they do it for road games. NBA tickets are expensive and fans should get a product that reflects that.

Imo, the league should go back to resting guys at the end of the season, that way fans know it's coming and that there's a decent chance the best players will be resting.

The other option would be for the league to allow a certain number of "rest games" per season with the added rule that they can't be road games or nationally televised games. There should also some kind of incentive/reward for teams that don't use all of their rest games.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think players are probably babied too much and I understand because of the TV deals and fans, etc. why the NBA would be frustrated with it in big-time games. But I also think it would be/is the dumbest thing ever if they fine teams for doing such (I think they actually did that to the Spurs a few years ago in a game vs the Heat)! That should be every NBA team and coach's right to rest whoever they want, whenever they want for whatever reason that they want. Fining them for that is ridiculous.
you cant penalize any of it because each situation is so different and each is justified.

the only duty teams have is to do to what is best for their teams within the rules- if the league makes a rule concerning it- then the teams have to follow it--- until then- teams should and will do what is in their best interest inside the rules.

the criticism of LeBron resting i think is the dumbest shit in the world considering no human alive has played more NBA basketball games then LeBron in the last 6 years.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the criticism of LeBron resting i think is the dumbest shit in the world considering no human alive has played more NBA basketball games then LeBron in the last 6 years.

4553i023CDCAB8CB6F7FF

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the teams decision. They are the one paying the players, if they think it is best for the team or the playoffs or winning a championship than that is the best decision. NO rules need to be made and no fines, that would just be dumb as fuck lol. Pop has been sitting his players for many seasons, not a ton of games but when they need rest. Pop is a smart man and has championship rings to show for it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the teams decision. They are the one paying the players, if they think it is best for the team or the playoffs or winning a championship than that is the best decision. NO rules need to be made and no fines, that would just be dumb as fuck lol. Pop has been sitting his players for many seasons, not a ton of games but when they need rest. Pop is a smart man and has championship rings to show for it.
exactly.

If the NBA makes a rule concerning it- then its the teams duties to follow that rule.

until the league makes a rule- Silver can go fuck himself.

the duty and responsibility of each franchise is to do what it can to win at the highest level they can....if that means tanking?--- go ahead- if that means resting guys? go ahead.

until there is a rule prohibiting that behavior, its all bullshit anyway.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if they make a rule for this they need to make a rule about sitting players at the end of the season if your teams sucks and they want a lottery pick. I haven't seen it much but it has happened. I feel like if they made this rule then players could always say they tweaked something or need to rest an injured ankle or something. There are ways around it, I just don't see this rule happening.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a fight the NBA just isn't going to win. The obvious solutions are give them less games to play, which won't happen because they want more money. Make the season over a longer period of time with the same amount of games, which isn't going to happen again because of money. I side with the players on this issue. They are the ones playing and practicing every day and an 82 game season + playoffs is a long time. They need a rest here and there.

The only solution I can come up with is to create the schedule with games that are thumbed for obvious breaks for the stars. That way you can control it so the spurs and warriors aren't both resting their players when they play. When they have to play back to backs, make the second one an easy game, like philly or the Lakers. It's not prefect, but I think it could reduce the big time match ups that are ruined by players sitting.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a fight the NBA just isn't going to win. The obvious solutions are give them less games to play, which won't happen because they want more money. Make the season over a longer period of time with the same amount of games, which isn't going to happen again because of money. I side with the players on this issue. They are the ones playing and practicing every day and an 82 game season + playoffs is a long time. They need a rest here and there.

The only solution I can come up with is to create the schedule with games that are thumbed for obvious breaks for the stars. That way you can control it so the spurs and warriors aren't both resting their players when they play. When they have to play back to backs, make the second one an easy game, like philly or the Lakers. It's not prefect, but I think it could reduce the big time match ups that are ruined by players sitting.

They are already lengthening the season a week next year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what the league should do is try to collaborate with teams and find better times for them to rest players.

For example, a couple weeks ago when GS rested their entire team on the second night of a back to back, the consensus was that it was a smart move and the team needed rest.

BUT, why that game? Why not rest them on the Friday night against the TWolves instead of the nationally televised showdown against the Spurs on the following night? A little proactive planning could help solve at least some of the issues. Fans attending games are still SOL, but let's face it, TV revenue is more important to the league anyway. TV games should boast full lineups, or as close to it as possible.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch the NBA, but fining a team for resting a guy is some serious stupid shit.

When it's a nationally televised game, and fans paid big bucks for tickets for that game, and you got a guy like Greg Popovich who at the last second decides to not fly out his whole starting lineup?

Yea, it is bullshit.

It makes sense, but Pop and these other teams a lot of times do it to spit in the NBA's face.

Do it when it's a non important, non nationally televised game against the Pelicans or some shit.

Not when it's on TNT and it's a match up like Spurs/Cavs, it sucks for the fans, the NBA, and the TV company.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it's a nationally televised game, and fans paid big bucks for tickets for that game, and you got a guy like Greg Popovich who at the last second decides to not fly out his whole starting lineup?

Yea, it is bullshit.

It makes sense, but Pop and these other teams a lot of times do it to spit in the NBA's face.

Do it when it's a non important, non nationally televised game against the Pelicans or some shit.

Not when it's on TNT and it's a match up like Spurs/Cavs, it sucks for the fans, the NBA, and the TV company.

Pop and Kerr knew what they were doing, they are making a point to the league about ridiculous scheduling. And it's working, the season starts a week earlier next year.

Reactions: TJL

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop and Kerr knew what they were doing, they are making a point to the league about ridiculous scheduling. And it's working, the season starts a week earlier next year.

They also stuck it to the ticket buyers

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also stuck it to the ticket buyers

Yep. That's how you get the league's attention, hit them and the fans in the pocketbook

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, it is bullshit.

:dingdingding:

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, it is bullshit.

Sounds like, you play stupid games and you win stupid prizes....

Reactions: TJL

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be a coaching decision.
The only possible reason the league might should get involved is if it was clear a team was throwing games for draft positions.
Whether it's a smart coaching decision to rest players at any particular time doesn't matter to me unless it's my Hawks. A HC is evaluated on results, how they obtain those results is up to them.