• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report Pats could be willing to spend $30 mill to keep Brady

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. You give the customer what they want.

The customer wants a champ every year. But nobody can promise that.

Since they can't have that, they may want a demonstration of loyalty.

I'm not saying I know what's best here.

LOL That is crazy talk.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you keep bringing up the $13.5 million? It's gone and is not coming back. Brady already earned it and it's gone. It has nothing to do with any future decision because it's not tied to the 2020 QB situation, it's tied to dead money from a previous season. How it got there is not relevant.

I bring it up because it's not gone. It's sitting there counting against the cap in 2020. It doesn't matter how you want to deal with it, it's a hit against the cap and it's a Brady salary hit. So any money that you pay Brady will hit the cap along with the $13.5M. The simple way to think about it is to include with whatever they pay him because it will all be a hit against the cap.

You think of it however makes you feel best. It's still $13.5M that the Patriots do not have available to spend, regardless of how it became dead money.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. You give the customer what they want.

The customer wants a champ every year. But nobody can promise that.

Since they can't have that, they may want a demonstration of loyalty.

I'm not saying I know what's best here.

The customer, in this case, must deal with the owner's decision whether they like it or not. The owner will make his decisions based on what is best for his company. In the case of football, that decision is generally what's best for his customers.

Customers in most cases, don't care about loyalty, they want a quality product. I don't give a shit if Apple is loyal to me, I just want the damn phone to work when I need it to work and do what I need it to do. If it doesn't, I'll go to a Samsung.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The customer, in this case, must deal with the owner's decision whether they like it or not. The owner will make his decisions based on what is best for his company. In the case of football, that decision is generally what's best for his customers.

Customers in most cases, don't care about loyalty, they want a quality product. I don't give a shit if Apple is loyal to me, I just want the damn phone to work when I need it to work and do what I need it to do. If it doesn't, I'll go to a Samsung.
Apple and Samsung do not have products that include people. Football teams do. The customer cares that the organization is loyal to the players and also understands the loyalty isn't unconditional, but is more of a tie breaker.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bring it up because it's not gone. It's sitting there counting against the cap in 2020. It doesn't matter how you want to deal with it, it's a hit against the cap and it's a Brady salary hit. So any money that you pay Brady will hit the cap along with the $13.5M. The simple way to think about it is to include with whatever they pay him because it will all be a hit against the cap.

You think of it however makes you feel best. It's still $13.5M that the Patriots do not have available to spend, regardless of how it became dead money.
Blah, blah. Name one thing they can do about that dead money? The money is already spent. It's a hit against the cap yes. But (read my lips) it is not a hit against Brady's future salary because it's his past salary. Face it, the money is gone and is not (zero, nil, nada) relevant to any other future decision.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think this is a "tactic" by Kraft to try and make Brady think "we will do whatever it takes" to make you happy? We "value" you this much and we WILL build around you?

"We (Patriots) did everything we could to keep Brady but he turned down the offer and look what he took, it WAS about the money" (if he signs elsewhere for more

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think this is a "tactic" by Kraft to try and make Brady think "we will do whatever it takes" to make you happy? We "value" you this much and we WILL build around you?

"We (Patriots) did everything we could to keep Brady but he turned down the offer and look what he took, it WAS about the money" (if he signs elsewhere for more
It it is, well played.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Krafts are not ready to move on he will be back, if they are ready to look to the future he will be gone. TB12 is not the future they need to accept he needs to become a part the past.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Assuming a new deal was for at least 2 years and completed before 4 PM on 3/17 then it would drop to 6.5 this year and 6.5 next.

But the salient point remains that that cap figure is a sunk cost no matter who the QB for 2020 is and shouldn’t be a consideration in negotiating a 2020 salary for Brady. The length and date of a new deal are the only important data points with regards to the dead money.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming a new deal was for at least 2 years and completed before 4 PM on 3/17 then it would drop to 6.5 this year and 6.5 next.

But the salient point remains that that cap figure is a sunk cost no matter who the QB for 2020 is and shouldn’t be a consideration in negotiating a 2020 salary for Brady. The length and date of a new deal are the only important data points with regards to the dead money.

It should be if the cap hit of three years is applied to it at 30 mil a year or higher. The value is not there, its about the value and the future.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we’ve had one unverified report that the Pats are willing to go that high. And one unverified report that Brady is more concerned with adding weapons than maximizing dollars.

IOW, we don’t know shit about how much it will actually cost to re-sign him.

And the dead money is still irrelevant to whatever that number ends up being. If Brady gets hit by a bus tomorrow, that dead money is still going to count on the cap.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we’ve had one unverified report that the Pats are willing to go that high. And one unverified report that Brady is more concerned with adding weapons than maximizing dollars.

IOW, we don’t know shit about how much it will actually cost to re-sign him.

And the dead money is still irrelevant to whatever that number ends up being. If Brady gets hit by a bus tomorrow, that dead money is still going to count on the cap.

No one is debating this. The issue is about investing in the future now. Stidham in under a rookie deal, for a minimal amount letting TB go this year still allows more room / ways to start building for tomorrow.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually this year there is no dead money that can be moved over the course of a couple of years. With the CBA set to expire they built into the contract that all dead money must come up this year. So no post June-1 cuts kind of thing.

As for the contract though really the Patriots can design a deal that even if he is making $30 million a year his cap hit doesn't have to be the entire $30 million plus the dead money. Heck they can make it where that dead money hit continues to only show up when he is fully not on the team. Only have it be say $15 million cap hit this year plus then the dead money.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually this year there is no dead money that can be moved over the course of a couple of years. With the CBA set to expire they built into the contract that all dead money must come up this year. So no post June-1 cuts kind of thing.

As for the contract though really the Patriots can design a deal that even if he is making $30 million a year his cap hit doesn't have to be the entire $30 million plus the dead money. Heck they can make it where that dead money hit continues to only show up when he is fully not on the team. Only have it be say $15 million cap hit this year plus then the dead money.
There’s no money being moved in this scenario. I didn’t word it well but I was just trying to emphasize that the hit on this year’s cap is only 13m if the void occurs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no money being moved in this scenario. I didn’t word it well but I was just trying to emphasize that the hit on this year’s cap is only 13m if the void occurs.

I got yah. Definitely not how I read it so my bad. I do think way too many are focused on the dead money and freaking out. It is there but that doesn't mean it shuts down the ability to sign anyone. The cap is easily manipulated these days. Now if the new CBA makes contracts fully guaranteed we might be talking a bit differently.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last week, the Vegas odds on the raiders signing Brady was 2000:1. As of last night they changed to 400:1. I wish I had laid $1000 on the 2000:1.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be translating this wrong, but the sentiment to pay Tom isn't about whether or not it's too much money but rather if we aint winning it all we might as well give Tom his back pay.

I see it differently. If we're ready to move forward with Stidham then keeping Tom hurts the team long term. If we're going to be looking for another rookie then keep Tom and give him his back pay. A transition year with a $30 m bite isn't difficult to overcome.

That attitude will make you the Jets.....

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite LTs are now in $20M per range. Thuney would be well worth $15M-$18M. Or would you rather replace him with a $3M Joe Pickup?

I'm not giving anybody big money on an O-line that can't block.....

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying I’d break the bank for him, but Thuney shouldn’t be punished for the shitty play and/or injuries of the guys around him. He was certainly not in any way part of the problem with the OL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying I’d break the bank for him, but Thuney shouldn’t be punished for the shitty play and/or injuries of the guys around him. He was certainly not in any way part of the problem with the OL.

Ummm no that is not allowed. The Broncos have dibs on him. I think there is a chance because of the bad play around him that he could end up being the steal of free agency.