• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Patriots used deflated balls

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a player tugs another players jersey, throws a punch, goes offside or whatever, it is happening out in the field of play where 7 officials can see it and judge it. When a team sneakily deflates balls after the officials have inspected them and deemed them fair for both sides it is clearly underhanded and far more egregious than some CB trying to get away with holding. I suspect you understand this but you are being a good soldier for your team and defending them at all costs.

Good soldier nothing, just trying to set the stage of the debate.

So the fact that the tugging is coached, prestaged doesn't constitute preplanned?

And how is it more egregious? Based on what information? Is there a set list of order for what rules being broken are more important than others?

So what rules are OK to break, in game or otherwise, and which ones are not?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sport shits always going to happen on the field and we've accepted the fact that calls will be missed...some are completely unintentional. But when coaches and management scheme for ways to win it illegally off the field that's crossing the line in my books...as well as many due to the uproar here. You may be the only tool out there that thinks differently...to each their own I guess but I don't respect you one iota.

So is coaching the tugging of a players jersey in a manner not to get caught acceptable?

That's something that takes place off the field and is done to win it "illegally".

Lets just get to the heart of the debate. Is this more to do with who did it, or to do with your belief in the integrity of the game?

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I will be surprised if Belichick doesn't get suspended for this next year. The only question is how many games. Given his history and the fact this was the AFC Championship game, I just don't see the NFL not coming down hard on him.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the SB has just been played and the Pats get blown out 45-7 to Seattle. Then it comes out that Paul Allen was able to get a hold of the Pats helmet frequencies so Seattle could hear all the calls going into Brady. Would that be the same as a CB tugging on a WR's jersey all game long? Would NEPatsFan be just as ok with it? I doubt it. People seem to care a bit less about this because they aren't sure if it actually would have benefitted the Pats that much. But it shouldn't matter. Even if helped a tiny bit it's still an advantage that Indy did get.

You're proving my point. The standard being applied on this thread is that somehow the psi of a football rises to the level of stealing helmet frequencies. And in this instance even Colts players are now speaking out that if it did in fact happen it had no effect on the outcome.

Certainly there are some penalties worse than others, but with that said, what's the heirarchy?

Are you OK with the tugging if it results in the team that did it and didn't get called for it wins due to a TD that was the difference in the game on a play where it occurred?

What rules are OK to break and what ones are not?

Ignore the fact that I happen to cheer for the Patriots, lets just walk this whole story to it's starting point and come to a conclusion, then on what happened and what if anything should be done.

I happen to do this type thing for a living and can put my hat away, step back and evaluate. I do it on a daily basis, in fact I often find myself in a position where I have to put my employers hat away and evaluate what I am investigating.

Want to try it?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I will be surprised if Belichick doesn't get suspended for this next year. The only question is how many games. Given his history and the fact this was the AFC Championship game, I just don't see the NFL not coming down hard on him.

I doubt Belichick gets suspended. He'd most likely just get fined.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is coaching the tugging of a players jersey in a manner not to get caught acceptable?

That's something that takes place off the field and is done to win it "illegally".

Lets just get to the heart of the debate. Is this more to do with who did it, or to do with your belief in the integrity of the game?

All penalties are illegal but if you don't understand that some are penalized at a higher level for a reason then we can't help you. Would you sentence a kid for pushing over a garbage can the same as your serial murderer buddy hernandez? Please stop wasting everyone's time with your nonsense.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All penalties are illegal but if you don't understand that some are penalized at a higher level for a reason then we can't help you. Would you sentence a kid for pushing over a garbage can the same as your serial murderer buddy hernandez? Please stop wasting everyone's time with your nonsense.

But-but-but-but-but-but-but a penalty's a penalty, no? H-h-h-how do you differentiate?

-NE Patsfan
:pound::noidea:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive confusion came on formations that took advantage of the refs incompetency. Just another slight of hand from your coach. Once the refs got their shit straight they didn't work any more but in the meantime the ravens got screwed in that game as it got the pats right back in it. Either way that was a factor and to say that you don't think that having a better grip on the football helped the pats then why are we all here discussing it???

Kicking balls are separate so has no bearing...

And you are either a moron or lying. The officials knew exatly what was going on and had no issue with the plays. In fact at one point an official had to act as defensive coach for the Ravens and tell the defense "don't cover 34. 34 is not eligible"

By the way you do know the officials from that game right? And you do know how they are picked/chosed for the SB right? You obviously are aware that the NFL likes to have the officials work at least one game in the playoffs, typically a Divisional round game, prior to working the SB right?

So you are then obviously aware that Vinovich is the official for the SB right? You know the guy who worked the Pats Ravs game right?

You're problem overall is that you are very poorly informed and act out of hatred of the Pats.:pound:

I have to double check the video of that game and see if it was Vinovich that actually said to the Ravens defense "don't cover 34, he's not eligible"

lmao

you're an idiot.:nod:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But-but-but-but-but-but-but a penalty's a penalty, no? H-h-h-how do you differentiate?

-NE Patsfan
:pound::noidea:

You're not understanding what is being asked.

Each situation listed is against the rules. Even an on field rule violation, especially done intentionally, is cheating.

So with that said, for the debate, let's set the bar as to what rules are OK to break, and which ones are not.

You need a starting point when you debate.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So using you're logic, the deflating of a football by a couple of psi ranks where within the list of rule breakings? Keep in mind it had no effect on the outcome of the game in question.

So what should the penalty be?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I really haven't been following this story at all but I think it's pretty clear the deflating of the balls did not affect the outcome of the Colts game. However this whole ordeal does bring up questions as to how often often the Pats have been doing this. If this has been a regular occurrence over the course of the year or several years it most definitely would have made a difference at some point or another. Of course then you have to take into account whether or not any other teams are doing it. Either way, until a ruling comes out and we have a lot more information I just don't give too many shits about this.

We'll probably never know the full truth anyway. If a ruling comes out Fuhrer Goodell will just burn the evidence like during the Spygate thing or claim they never saw the evidence like during the Ray Rice incident.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I really haven't been following this story at all but I think it's pretty clear the deflating of the balls did not affect the outcome of the Colts game. However this whole ordeal does bring up questions as to how often often the Pats have been doing this. If this has been a regular occurrence over the course of the year or several years it most definitely would have made a difference at some point or another. Of course then you have to take into account whether or not any other teams are doing it. Either way, until a ruling comes out and we have a lot more information I just don't give too many shits about this.

We'll probably never know the full truth anyway. If a ruling comes out Fuhrer Goodell will just burn the evidence like during the Spygate thing or claim they never saw the evidence like during the Ray Rice incident.

That's a pretty open minded way to approach it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so ... Each team has 12 footballs .... So do they only use the 12 they have for there own offensive ? It's interesting that 11 were deflated but the 12th wasn't .... So was that the ball they kicked with? Crazy stuff ....

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so ... Each team has 12 footballs .... So do they only use the 12 they have for there own offensive ? It's interesting that 11 were deflated but the 12th wasn't .... So was that the ball they kicked with? Crazy stuff ....

Each team submits 12 prior to the game. The home team submits an additional 12 as basically back up balls, bad weather etc.

The 12 each team submits for use are in their possession for a week or so, possibly more still checking, in advance so the QB can get the ball to the condition he likes it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bigger issue here is who was responsible for not deflating the 12th ball?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive confusion came on formations that took advantage of the refs incompetency. Just another slight of hand from your coach. Once the refs got their shit straight they didn't work any more but in the meantime the ravens got screwed in that game as it got the pats right back in it. Either way that was a factor and to say that you don't think that having a better grip on the football helped the pats then why are we all here discussing it???

Kicking balls are separate so has no bearing...

Yeah slight of hand from the coach within the framework of rules legally. And that's Belichicks fault? HS. They pulled a different set of slight of hand against the Colts and the refs and Colts were supposedly better prepared and they still fooled them with big plays.