• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Dean Spanos will fire A.J. Smith and Norv Turner following the season

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually just read the article within theirs that says Jimmy Raye would take over as GM. No, not Jimmy Raye the former 49ers offensive coordinator. This is his son. Raye was on my shorter list of guys I've had in mind if the 49ers ever needed somebody down the road. Obviously never hoped it would come to that after Baalke took over, but he's been on my list.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are going to completely change your Front Office and coaching staff you better hope there are better replacements out there. I understand why they plan on making the change, but SD is a delicate situation IMO. The new GM better be able to bring in a coaching staff who can get the most out of Phillip Rivers.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Good. Norv can come back if Roman gets a HC jorb.

I wouldn't mind hiring AJ as well (obviously not as a GM, but if he wanetd a job I'd love to bring him in).

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I wouldn't mind hiring AJ as well (obviously not as a GM, but if he wanetd a job I'd love to bring him in).

There's nobody's system and direction I'd rather have than Norv's, but I would be shocked if the 49ers, specifically Harbaugh, would be down for it. I don't see the fit. I'm far from sure Turner would even want that arrangement in the late stages of his career either. I wanted to say all that from the beginning, but I didn't want to derail the thread. Oops.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nobody's system and direction I'd rather have than Norv's, but I would be shocked if the 49ers, specifically Harbaugh, would be down for it. I don't see the fit. I'm far from sure Turner would even want that arrangement in the late stages of his career either. I wanted to say all that from the beginning, but I didn't want to derail the thread. Oops.

This

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
SD has no choice but to fire both really. Turner clearly isn't a very good head coach and Smith has let the talent on the team drop off dramatically since their Marty days.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I was thinking along these lines, too. He's had way more success as an OC than a HC, which I'm sure most know by now. If I had to guess, he'll end up somewhere without much of a presence as far as offense goes.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder how it would have been if Norv had been there from the start of last year. (Roman taking over for Harbaugh in Stanford.)

Smith would be familiar with Norv and his system and get the benefits of Harbaugh. But, we wouldn't have Roman/Harbaugh's offense unfiltered, either. So I guess it comes down to if Baalke chose Norv and Harbaugh, would Harbaugh install the same offense as he did (and Norv call it) or would Harbaugh return to Norv's offense? Or a hybrid?

What would get the best from Smith? Would Norv have supported bringing back Smith as much as Roman did (not that that would be the final say)? I'm not suggesting that Alex would be even better, but would he have gotten there faster? Or was our system better than the familiar one? Norv's offense is less run (but he did have LT and Gore was great here with him)? Alex wouldn't have had to teach the offense as much in Camp Alex and Norv wouldn't have to live and learn in the NFL as much as Roman.

All scenarios have Harbaugh the QB whisperer and our talented roster, runningbacks, defense, and special teams.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fans are boycotting the Chargers here in SD, and the past two games have been blacked out on TV. Pretty good opponents also: Ravens and Bengals.
I expect the rest of the regular season games to be blacked out.

The reason fans are boycotting is mainly AJ and Norv.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Norv ran the digit system? Wouldn't it be easier for Geep to take over?