• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when everyone was ripping the bears draft?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but that doesn't change his talent and what he can bring to a team in practically all aspects of the offense and special teams. He's a RB, WR, Returner and can be a flea-flicker/wildcat QB too.

Yes, he's a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

He's a valuable asset catching the ball out of the backfield and a damn good punt returner. However, he's not an every down player. He's a scat-back. No more, no less. His ceiling is Darren Sproles. Darren Sproles is fine. Guys like that bring value to your offense... but he's a role player. He's not a key cog.

5'6 175 pound RB's don't tend to become that for you.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Jackson IS a star.

However, that draft could have been Pat Mahomes, Alvin Kamara, George Kittle and Eddie Jackson in order.

Trubisky, Shaheen, Cohen and Eddie Jackson is a MONUMENTAL failure.

The one hit on Jackson does not make up for one of the worst whiffs on the QB position in NFL history. Much less does it ALSO make-up for taking (the horrid) Adam Shaheen over generational TE George Kittle. Not to mention, taking Tarik Cohen (scat-back/punt returner) in lieu of the generational RB Alvin Kamara.

I actually like Ryan Pace, the Bears GM. He's made some really smart decisions. He gets it. He's a sound football mind.

He took over a team in total disarray after 2014. An old team in cap hell, absent of young talent. It took him only three years to have them contending and atop the North in 2018. He built a superstar D, a solid collection of skill position talent and up until they collapsed (seemingly out of nowhere) as a unit this year. He had a really good looking O-line together too.

But... so often it's that one move that defines you. I mean, if they draft Mahomes or Watson. The possibilities of where this team could be right now is endless. In 2018, imagine Mahomes having that breakout 50 TD/5K yard campaign coupled with how the Bears D was playing.

Just because the Bears have become competitive over the last two seasons. It's not enough to forgive Pace for what he passed up on. The Bears aren't currently a SB contender because of one position - QB. Pace smiled and waived at the opportunity to grab a future HOF'er as it passed him by. Instead, he took a totally lame duck. It would be one thing if Trubisky was "good". But he's brutal.

Pace built a really good team at virtually every other spot on the field. That's why he still has his job. However, it's the spot he got wrong that's most important. It could very well be the end of him if the Bears don't get back to the post-season in 2020. Rightfully so.

The one thing people miss is that the D was already really, really good in 2017. Then, they got hit with a barrage of injuries around November which brought them from flirting with the top 5 down towards the middle of the pack.

Mack simply pushed them over the top.

To be fair - they hit on an all-pro/stud safety in Eddie Jackson in the 4th round of that same draft.

However, it does not make up for taking Trubisky/Shaheen/Cohen instead of Mahomes/Kamara/Kittle in the 3 rounds prior. That offensive trio was there for the taking to go with Eddie Jackson in round 4.

The Bears have gone 20-12 over the last two seasons IN SPITE of their QB. TRANSLATION: IN SPITE of that draft.

Yes, he's a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

He's a valuable asset catching the ball out of the backfield and a damn good punt returner. However, he's not an every down player. He's a scat-back. No more, no less. His ceiling is Darren Sproles. Darren Sproles is fine. Guys like that bring value to your offense... but he's a role player. He's not a key cog.

5'6 175 pound RB's don't tend to become that for you.

rich. You have good insight, I enjoy talking to you. But that's a lot of text.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing people miss is that the D was already really, really good in 2017. Then, they got hit with a barrage of injuries around November which brought them from flirting with the top 5 down towards the middle of the pack.

Mack simply pushed them over the top.

To be fair - they hit on an all-pro/stud safety in Eddie Jackson in the 4th round of that same draft.

However, it does not make up for taking Trubisky/Shaheen/Cohen instead of Mahomes/Kamara/Kittle in the 3 rounds prior. That offensive trio was there for the taking to go with Eddie Jackson in round 4.

The Bears have gone 20-12 over the last two seasons IN SPITE of their QB. TRANSLATION: IN SPITE of that draft.

What happened to Mack, he disappeared in the second half.

That 20-12 record isn't really that impressive, when you take in account that the only winning team they beat last year was the Cousins led Vikings, twice. That's it.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That 20-12 record isn't really that impressive, when you take in account that the only winning team they beat last year was the Cousins led Vikings, twice. That's it.
Mack got paid.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, they were an 8-8 team. They weren't very good. Therefore, they did not beat many good teams during that stretch. I would not dispute that.

Mack still finished top 5 in QB pressures. He simply didn't get home as much with Akiem Hicks out. Teams just gave him the Lawrence Taylor treatment in 87. Guy had a tackle, TE and a RB chipping at him. Pagano and others actually said it may have been his best season ever. Given the circumstances.

Hicks is the real key to this D. Big boy just wreaks havoc and eats up double teams while still blowing other teams up.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your wrong, The improvement was made in good part by the trade with the Raiders which turned around the defense. Name me a really big impact player the Bears took in the draft. I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing nobody all that big.

The Bears traded the Nos. 3, 67 and 111 picks, as well as a 2018 third-round pick, to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for the second overall pick.

A trade like the one above defines your draft, unless you hit big later in the draft, and by big I mean really big. All that to move up one spot and then you pass on the correct choices? Think it's the biggest mistake ever in the NFL draft.
wow!
No wonder the Niners made the Superbowl. Wonder if they sent a thank you letter to the bears?

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A myriad of pundits didn't as well.

plus yearly we see media hype being different than reality. Dk metcalf for
Example. So because some mockers had him high means nothing. Mockers toyed with tyree Jackson as a day one or two pick for a while last year as well.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My laughing at the Bears is a lot more about trading up rather than the selection. I still say they could have sat and took Mitch with their pick or traded back and got Maholmes or Watson, if a team jumped them for Mitch.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My laughing at the Bears is a lot more about trading up rather than the selection. I still say they could have sat and took Mitch with their pick or traded back and got Maholmes or Watson, if a team jumped them for Mitch.
Yup.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but that doesn't change his talent and what he can bring to a team in practically all aspects of the offense and special teams. He's a RB, WR, Returner and can be a flea-flicker/wildcat QB too.
Flea-Flicker? As a RB? Does that really take a special talent :noidea:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow!
No wonder the Niners made the Superbowl. Wonder if they sent a thank you letter to the bears?

Unfortunately, the 49ers used the extra 1st round pick on Reuben Foster which was a complete waste of a pick and the 3rd pick was used on Solomon Thomas who hasn't panned out so far, so nothing good came of that for the 49ers.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow!

Funny enough, they didn't get much out of that situation either.

The Bears got Eddie Jackson out of that trade, though.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flea-Flicker? As a RB? Does that really take a special talent :noidea:

I think he means more of a RB pass. Cohen has thrown 3 passes. Two for TD's.

However, like most TD's when that play works? The receivers were wide open. One pass was also on a play from the goal-line. You or I could have tossed it.

It's a fun little thing that he's capable of doing at a functional level. However, it doesn't add to his value as a RB.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This has been disputed by insiders 100x over but I'm sick of laying out the points to it. Cleveland and even KC had inquired about the #2 pick. They also inquired the Bears about moving up to the #3 pick. Both of those teams had expressed interest in Trubisky. It was more fun when Mitch was still developing and some people thought he might be good. It's not worth the fight now that we know he sucks. lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it's very true.

That's why I laugh at some people who act like "they always knew" with Watson. ESPECIALLY with Mahomes. That guy was mocked as a 2nd round pick in a lot of cases. I remember mocks have the Bears taking him with the #3 pick in the 2nd round.

It was also hyped as a "bad QB class". So, I mean... look... I hate Mitch. However, the hindsight football geniuses are a bit much.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been disputed by insiders 100x over but I'm sick of laying out the points to it. Cleveland and even KC had inquired about the #2 pick. They also inquired the Bears about moving up to the #3 pick. Both of those teams had expressed interest in Trubisky. It was more fun when Mitch was still developing and some people thought he might be good. It's not worth the fight now that we know he sucks. lol
You keep telling yourself that. You do know there are talks about trading up with most picks especially early in the first, doesn't mean you should over pay to jump up one spot.