• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remaining Schedule and Subsequent Draft Position

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There aren't any decent ones available. When you try to force something that isn't there that's how you end up with a bust like Thomas with the third pick in the draft.

Decent free agent pass rushers? Yes, there will be DECENT ones in the market.

That's just the way they do it prior to the draft, not saying it is correct. We're not going into the draft with the same personnel that we have now (at the Edge). An example is Attaochu, he wasn't a big name but you sign and promote his potential. This way you have a fall back should the draft go different than expected. Plus other teams don't pigeon hole your pick.

Granted, if we stay in say the top 3, then these reasons are greatly reduced. But in those past drafts where we weren't top three, that is how we've been doing it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This draft will be a little unusual because most of the bad teams won't draft QB. NY Giants is the first one in line and then Jacksonville, but doubt these teams draft a QB top 10:

1. Oakland
2. SF
3. Arizona
4. Buffalo
5. Tampa Bay?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent free agent pass rushers? Yes, there will be DECENT ones in the market.

That's just the way they do it prior to the draft, not saying it is correct. We're not going into the draft with the same personnel that we have now (at the Edge). An example is Attaochu, he wasn't a big name but you sign and promote his potential. This way you have a fall back should the draft go different than expected. Plus other teams don't pigeon hole your pick.

Granted, if we stay in say the top 3, then these reasons are greatly reduced. But in those past drafts where we weren't top three, that is how we've been doing it.

I don't think they were meaning players like Attaochu as decent pass rushers but that is just my guess. I'm guessing they mean getting someone better than anyone the 49ers have signed or picked up as a free agent.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft will be a little unusual because most of the bad teams won't draft QB. NY Giants is the first one in line and then Jacksonville, but doubt these teams draft a QB top 10:

1. Oakland
2. SF
3. Arizona
4. Buffalo
5. Tampa Bay?

I wouldn't count out Oakland and QB. Carr looks to have regressed badly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't count out Oakland and QB. Carr looks to have regressed badly.

"badly" may be helped by his overall team? :-)

Anyway, isn't he still on that monster contract of a year ago? No one is going to give up much in a trade, so Oakland is stuck with Carr as the starter.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"badly" may be helped by his overall team? :-)

Anyway, isn't he still on that monster contract of a year ago? No one is going to give up much in a trade, so Oakland is stuck with Carr as the starter.

There is an 'out' in his contract this offseason where the Raiders could take only something like a $7 mil hit....and even though he's regressing, there is always a sucker who thinks they can rebuild the guy. I don't think it's a certainty that he gets moved, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good pash rushers are hard to find. Teams typically dont let them go and getting one in free agency is tough. Clowney is going to be franchised. We need to draft one. Then a corner. Sad that we have to go defense again but too many poor draft picks in the past

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good pash rushers are hard to find. Teams typically dont let them go and getting one in free agency is tough. Clowney is going to be franchised. We need to draft one. Then another. And another. And.....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good pash rushers are hard to find. Teams typically dont let them go and getting one in free agency is tough. Clowney is going to be franchised. We need to draft one. Then a corner. Sad that we have to go defense again but too many poor draft picks in the past

Yes, drafting is the best way to go.....assuming he pans out?

But i see us signing both a free agent pass rusher and a CB, prior to the draft. It may or may not be the top free agents at these positions, but we'll add them first Depending on who the pass rusher is, we still have to consider drafting a pass rusher. It may or may not be in round 1, but they're hard to find.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing on a FA pass rusher....I have to wait to see who the candidates are and the kind of money they'll command....so I can certainly see scenarios in which they say no. They absolutely HAVE to address the situation, very early on in the draft. The only way I can see not taking one of the upper end guys in the draft is if somehow they land a D. Lawrence or J. Clowney.....the chances of that are practically slim and none.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Passing on a FA pass rusher....I have to wait to see who the candidates are and the kind of money they'll command....so I can certainly see scenarios in which they say no. They absolutely HAVE to address the situation, very early on in the draft. The only way I can see not taking one of the upper end guys in the draft is if somehow they land a D. Lawrence or J. Clowney.....the chances of that are practically slim and none.

You never know, who'd thought Khalil Mack would become available? Another example, Dallas is facing a difficult cap situation, so they may be 'forced' to let Lawrence go?

Availability and cost is of course two separate things, so do agree with 'at what cost'? We may not sign the very top pass rushers, but still say we'll sign someone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nearly two months after the start of NFL free agency, the 49ers will have the opportunity to add some young talent in the draft.

Edge rushers Clelin Ferrell (Clemson) and Josh Allen (Kentucky) could also be options within the top five or 10 of the NFL draft.

Ok, maybe there are three edge rushers of near value? The 3rd being Bosa. IF so, this will allow a small trade down if another team is willing.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know, who'd thought Khalil Mack would become available? Another example, Dallas is facing a difficult cap situation, so they may be 'forced' to let Lawrence go?

Availability and cost is of course two separate things, so do agree with 'at what cost'? We may not sign the very top pass rushers, but still say we'll sign someone.

At this point, I'd have no problem if they did both - get multiple ER's via draft/FA. If they spend their first 2 picks in the draft on pass rushers, I'm good with it. If the brass thinks there are multiple guys at the top who will be difference makers in the pros, I'm on board with sacrificing some picks and making moves to go up and get a couple of them.

Short of completely gutting future drafts, I feel it's worth it to get these type of players....guys who can instantly make the defense legit almost on par with what JG did on offense.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nearly two months after the start of NFL free agency, the 49ers will have the opportunity to add some young talent in the draft.

Edge rushers Clelin Ferrell (Clemson) and Josh Allen (Kentucky) could also be options within the top five or 10 of the NFL draft.

Ok, maybe there are three edge rushers of near value? The 3rd being Bosa. IF so, this will allow a small trade down if another team is willing.

That has kind of been my thinking that you can probably get the kind of pass rusher they need out of these three potentially even the kid Polite from Florida a little later than these three. In that scenario they would also be picking up some picks for moving back and have the potential to add a CB as well as O-Line help or a third LB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That has kind of been my thinking that you can probably get the kind of pass rusher they need out of these three potentially even the kid Polite from Florida a little later than these three. In that scenario they would also be picking up some picks for moving back and have the potential to add a CB as well as O-Line help or a third LB.

Ok, IF the 49ers view all these guys as near equal, a small trade down makes sense.

But next the odds of a trading partner doesn't appear good? There is no hyped up QB this season, plus most of the higher teams won't draft QB.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like MLB is back on the menu

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like MLB is back on the menu

Yes, but in what round? I would say 4th at earliest, if that.

We still have to assume it'll be Foster and Warner from here on, but yes another 'athletic' MLB would be nice. They way it stands now, Pass Rusher, CB, and WR are all higher priorities. Not that we HAVE to draft these 3 first, but they'll get the call if value is close.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but in what round? I would say 4th at earliest, if that.

We still have to assume it'll be Foster and Warner from here on, but yes another 'athletic' MLB would be nice. They way it stands now, Pass Rusher, CB, and WR are all higher priorities. Not that we HAVE to draft these 3 first, but they'll get the call if value is close.
That depends how the draft vs The Niners draft board breaks down
Seems Lynch is the kind of GM who falls in love with his guy(s)