• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Regarding Old Managers and A's, Rangers travel to Oakland

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor play in the field and not getting runs home when you have a guy on third with one out. Just fuck off tonight. Not acceptable way to lose. Bad job you should feel bad.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that game was a dumpster fire. Shitty managing, lackadaisical base running errors, throws were made that shouldn't of been. Defense was downright horrible. Amazing effort by Gallardo wasted. Only positive thing about today is all of the relevant teams right now lost.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea..... I forgot. I fucking hate playing the A's. This team is so annoying.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought from about the 6th inning on they went into coast mode and just didn't try very hard. It's like they thought the game was already won. There were a lot of who cares-type giveaway at-bats, the complete boneheaded blunder on the base paths by Martin, the relief pitchers messing around with weak hitters, and of course the dog shit fielding in the 8th.

I had a sinking feeling when the Rangers were going down easily in order those final innings that not padding their lead would come back to bite them.

We should be 1 game back of Houston. This game was an absolute give away in every way possible. I hope Bannister chews several of them out and reminds them that games last 9 innings.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought from about the 6th inning on they went into coast mode and just didn't try very hard. It's like they thought the game was already won. There were a lot of who cares-type giveaway at-bats, the complete boneheaded blunder on the base paths by Martin, the relief pitchers messing around with weak hitters, and of course the dog shit fielding in the 8th.

I had a sinking feeling when the Rangers were going down easily in order those final innings that not padding their lead would come back to bite them.

We should be 1 game back of Houston. This game was an absolute give away in every way possible. I hope Bannister chews several of them out and reminds them that games last 9 innings.
He needs his own chewing out over letting Reddick hit in that situation and letting Freeman come in during the 8th. This no roles shit doesn't work when guys like Freeman suck ass.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Martin Perez: I feel different after Tommy John surgery | | Dallas Morning News

Perez threw 33 strikes in his 45 pitches. He consistently touched 94 mph on his fastball in the first inning before working on off-speed pitches in the second. In the third he focused on two-seam fastballs and hit 92 mph.

“My changeup is there and the slider was really good,” Perez said. “Two-seam fastball, fastball in, was amazing. I think I need to work a little bit more on my curveball and that’s it.”

Perez admitted to being nervous in the first inning, but got over it quickly. He did notice a change in his pitching from a year ago.

“I just did rehab and worked out,” Perez said. “Now, I feel different. I feel strong. I have a little bit more weight and I think mentally I’m strong too.

“I’m ready to go.”

Perez will throw a bullpen on Friday in Arlington. Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux will attend. He is then scheduled to make a start on Monday for Triple-A Round Rock. From there he’s unsure where he’ll go, but expects return to the Rangers just before the All-Star break.

“When they make the decision,” Perez said, “I’ll be ready.”

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs his own chewing out over letting Reddick hit in that situation and letting Freeman come in during the 8th. This no roles shit doesn't work when guys like Freeman suck ass.

Yeah, I've really been wondering about that. I do think some managers do get too bogged down in forcing pitchers to pitch in certain situations "just because it's their role" (in other words, not being flexible). But not having any kind of assigned roles at all just makes no sense. Your 2nd best reliever is typically your set-up man and should pitch the 8th, followed by your best shutdown reliever as your closer in the 9th. Guys like Freeman, Patton, and Detwiler should never even see the 8th or, heaven forbid, 9th inning.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo bristles at questioning by Banister on key play in Texas Rangers loss | | Dallas Morning News

On the bench as the Rangers batted in the ninth, Banister asked Choo what he was doing on the play. Did he miss the cut-off man, or was he trying to catch Reddick?

That apparently did not go over well with Choo. In a 2:45 post-game interview, Choo said four times that he was “not comfortable’’ with being asked about the play by Banister.

“We’re not playing for the first time,’’ Choo said. “We know how to do it. We know the situations. But we can’t make (the plays) all that times. That’s what happens.

“If I throw to third base and we get an out, nobody says anything. … (Banister) told me `What do you think about this situation? I know the situation, but you can’t make it all the time.’’

Choo never directly responded to the question of whether he tried to throw to third or the cut-off man. Choo also objected to a line of questioning that he considered to be an attempt to place blame for the loss on him.

“We lost the game because of me?’’ he said. “ (Expletive) that.’’

I guess Choo isn't used to a manager questioning a veteran.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo bristles at questioning by Banister on key play in Texas Rangers loss | | Dallas Morning News

On the bench as the Rangers batted in the ninth, Banister asked Choo what he was doing on the play. Did he miss the cut-off man, or was he trying to catch Reddick?

That apparently did not go over well with Choo. In a 2:45 post-game interview, Choo said four times that he was “not comfortable’’ with being asked about the play by Banister.

“We’re not playing for the first time,’’ Choo said. “We know how to do it. We know the situations. But we can’t make (the plays) all that times. That’s what happens.

“If I throw to third base and we get an out, nobody says anything. … (Banister) told me `What do you think about this situation? I know the situation, but you can’t make it all the time.’’

Choo never directly responded to the question of whether he tried to throw to third or the cut-off man. Choo also objected to a line of questioning that he considered to be an attempt to place blame for the loss on him.

I did not see the play as I went to bed with us up 4-2.

Last edited:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo pitched well last night considering his 1st inning. If you think about it Gallo should have made the play that eventually led to a run and the hit by Vogt was pure luck that led to the 2nd run. The guy shows up every 5th day and keeps us in ball games

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure miss Beltre at 3rd.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad earlier when I thought the dugout called for DeShields trying to steal 3rd and turns out it was all on DeShields. I thought incorrectly because Choo was in sync with DeShields on the double steal.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we weren't being killed by injuries I'd put Choo's ass on the bench for that shit.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't see a play last night. But Choo's response (attached) is childish and absurd.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we weren't being killed by injuries I'd put Choo's ass on the bench for that shit.

Like I just posted, didn't see it.

Seems really outta character for him. Maybe he's having a tough time dealing with his overall season to date, and he's letting his frustrations get the better of him.

Banister will probably let the dust settle overnight and then sit down with him in order to nip this in the bud, would be my guess.

But I just went back and reread the quotes attributed to Choo, and frankly it pisses me off at him. "What, the manager can't ask a question about your shitty throw?" You with the rocket arm and all.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in but Gallo is a pretty bad 3rd baseman, he doesn't look comfortable out there at all, no fluidity, everything is awkward and unnatural

I don't think he is long for the position, never did really, but now having seen him make a few plays out there, the arm is impressive, but he is not an accurate thrower

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in but Gallo is a pretty bad 3rd baseman, he doesn't look comfortable out there at all, no fluidity, everything is awkward and unnatural

I don't think he is long for the position, never did really, but now having seen him make a few plays out there, the arm is impressive, but he is not an accurate thrower
I wonder if it is something as simple as his footwork which ironically could have been helped most by Wash. It seems like something that just about any team should be able to correct, but I just heard about one of the Oakland players who was having a terrible season defensively until Wash got there and straightened out his footwork. So apparently they didn't have the proper instruction in place in Oakland until Wash got there. Maybe we don't have the proper instruction in place here either. I don't understand why what Wash teaches these guys isn't taught on a widespread basis in baseball, but apparently it isn't. Just speculating.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if it is something as simple as his footwork which ironically could have been helped most by Wash. It seems like something that just about any team should be able to correct, but I just heard about one of the Oakland players who was having a terrible season defensively until Wash got there and straightened out his footwork. So apparently they didn't have the proper instruction in place in Oakland until Wash got there. Maybe we don't have the proper instruction in place here either. I don't understand why what Wash teaches these guys isn't taught on a widespread basis in baseball, but apparently it isn't. Just speculating.

I don't think its a footwork thing, I just think he's a big lumbering 3B, a la Troy Glaus, strong arm and not much else
I think its more instinct that footwork, but his footwork is pretty atrocious too, and everything he does seems to go in slow motion, and not in a good Adrian Beltre kind of way

Last edited:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not like his footwork on this throws at 3rd. Like you said he has a strong arm but if your mechanics are not like they should be then that does you little good if you are throwing it all over the place.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think its a footwork thing, I just think he's a big lumbering 3B, a la Troy Glaus, strong arm and not much else

I played 3rd and even though Beltre throws from all positions most of the time he sets himself and points that left foot towards 1st and lets it go. The times even he has had issues is when he stands flatfooted. Gallo seldom gets himself in position. Even last night he had a play that I am not even sure he knows how he got the grounder as he came in a little and he had time to set himself and throw and did not. It will catch up to you.