• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins trade for RGIII

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they overpaid, but it was the RIGHT move to do by them. And by me saying "overpaid", I'm using the term loosely because I they don't necessarily have to rely on the "draft" to build. Let's analyze this further: What are the pros and cons of not having 3 consecutive 1st round picks? We ALL KNOW the cons, but for the pros (even if it makes very little sense, let's see the good that come out of it); in which case would be to having to dish out $$ on high draft picks. They could use free agency period as their draft class. In RGIII they believe they have finally secured their franchise QB, the following year they can draft (again, by draft I mean..FAs) players like Maurice-Jones-Drew, Desean Jackson or better yet Calvin Johnson. Dan Gronkowski, Brandon Albert or Jake Long; etc. Of course it's far fetched because most of these marquee players will get tagged. But I'm certain just like Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson this year, there will be a couple big name FAs that will be available in 2013 for the Skins to choose from. All they have to have 1 or 2 big acquisitions within 2013-2014 (period in which they do not have a 1st round pick). It was not a bad move for the Redskins at all!

As far as the Rams is concerned. Yes we need to be worried! We don't know too much about this new GM. He may be a stud in evaluating talent. Let's not underestimate them at all in this division.

Even if he isn't a stud, the odds are he is going to get a couple playmakers (at least) from all of these picks. The Rams helped their cause considerably with this draft.

If RG3 ends up being their future QB then it was a great move. But there is a lot of pressure on the guy so it's not gonna be easy. I guess you can say that about any first round QB though. I think he is going to be a good pro.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they overpaid, but it was the RIGHT move to do by them. And by me saying "overpaid", I'm using the term loosely because I they don't necessarily have to rely on the "draft" to build. Let's analyze this further: What are the pros and cons of not having 3 consecutive 1st round picks? We ALL KNOW the cons, but for the pros (even if it makes very little sense, let's see the good that come out of it); in which case would be to having to dish out $$ on high draft picks. They could use free agency period as their draft class. In RGIII they believe they have finally secured their franchise QB, the following year they can draft (again, by draft I mean..FAs) players like Maurice-Jones-Drew, Desean Jackson or better yet Calvin Johnson. Dan Gronkowski, Brandon Albert or Jake Long; etc. Of course it's far fetched because most of these marquee players will get tagged. But I'm certain just like Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson this year, there will be a couple big name FAs that will be available in 2013 for the Skins to choose from. All they have to have 1 or 2 big acquisitions within 2013-2014 (period in which they do not have a 1st round pick). It was not a bad move for the Redskins at all!

As far as the Rams is concerned. Yes we need to be worried! We don't know too much about this new GM. He may be a stud in evaluating talent. Let's not underestimate them at all in this division.

The more I think about it, they paid a high price, but they've been trying for years to find a QB. They've really had a bunch of average-to-OK starters since Rypien, and he wasn't even all that great either. It's a high price, but it's worth the risk for the Redskins if RG3 or Luck are as good as everyone thinks they will be. Just wish it wasn't the Rams who benefited from the Redskins wealth.

Washington hasn't really proven they can build through Free Agency. They've proven their willingness to try, but it seems like everyone they bring in doesn't really work out like they hoped. Obviously the crown jewel in their Free Agency missteps would be Haynesworth, and they've had some successful non draft pickups like Clinton Portis and Santana Moss. I think Andre Carter had some good years for them too.

Although, it's probably fair to argue that there is a chance Washington's FA moves failed because they didn't have that top QB to bring everything together.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a crazy off-season so far. The Peyton drama, Bountygate, and now this.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What a crazy off-season so far. The Peyton drama, Bountygate, and now this.

Last year was crazy too because of the lockout. Once the NFLPA - Owners came into an agreement...free agency period was crazy. This year too has been a very entertaining one. The final pages to this drama is Alex signing with Miami and Peyton signing a deal with the 9ers.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, they paid a high price, but they've been trying for years to find a QB. They've really had a bunch of average-to-OK starters since Jurgensen, and he wasn't even all that great either. It's a high price, but it's worth the risk for the Redskins if RG3 or Luck are as good as everyone thinks they will be. Just wish it wasn't the Rams who benefited from the Redskins wealth.

Washington hasn't really proven they can build through Free Agency. They've proven their willingness to try, but it seems like everyone they bring in doesn't really work out like they hoped. Obviously the crown jewel in their Free Agency missteps would be Haynesworth, and they've had some successful non draft pickups like Clinton Portis and Santana Moss. I think Andre Carter had some good years for them too.

Although, it's probably fair to argue that there is a chance Washington's FA moves failed because they didn't have that top QB to bring everything together.

FIFY

One of Joe Gibbs' greatest accomplishments was winning with average quaterbacks. Having the hogs and a plethora of good WRs helped that though....

Portis and Moss were trades, too, not free agents....

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFY

One of Joe Gibbs' greatest accomplishments was winning with average quaterbacks. Having the hogs and a plethora of good WRs helped that though....

Portis and Moss were trades, too, not free agents....

Just grab him Danny Coale in the 3rd. :rockon:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if RGIII pans out franchise QB, then yeah its worth it. not just a good QB, but FRANCHISE.

in the first few years you can surround him with "2nd tier" FA's but you can't go after big names. they'll hit the cap hilt in no time. there are reasons for the adage......"build thru the draft", one is its more long term. by the nature of free agency, you can't sign too many big names for the long haul.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep Justin Blackmon out of the Rams' hands at 6 and I should be OK with who they pick.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that this will or should happen, but I wonder what it would take for them to then trade up to get Blackmon or Kalil (sp.?)?

It's a possibility, but i wouldn't think they would give up too much to do it. Maybe they are after Floyd anyways?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just keep Justin Blackmon out of the Rams' hands at 6 and I should be OK with who they pick.

but at #6 they'll get a good player no matter?

anyways, how lucky can the Rams get, usually a team picking #2 needs a QB themselves. but they already have Bradford "in development".

next, they need two highly rated QB's to make #2 pick worth this kind of mega deal, and they got two in this draft.

next, they need a team willing to give up the farm to move up, and they got one in Washington who you'd think learned their lesson years ago?

oh well, we can only hope Baalke keeps drafting well himself, relative to his slot of course.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know this could end up being a defining moment for shanahan. when he went to denver he drafted some injured rb from georgia. this year he bets the farm on a qb and i could see him drafting another injured rb later on day who turns into a star.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel pretty much the same way. There isn't really anybody there of good value. They could find a way to trade back and gain extra picks for someone looking at Tannehill. That would be a terrible scenario.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give the Redskins credit for pulling the trigger. If RG3 doesn't pan out, it sets the back for a few years. If he leads them to the playoffs a few times and lead them to a couple of Super Bowls, then it's a great move. They have been looking for a QB for a long time.
IMO, I think he is going to ba a very good QB. He's athletic, smart, and has a great arm. He's a playmaker and will make everybody around him that much better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Give the Redskins credit for pulling the trigger. If RG3 doesn't pan out, it sets the back for a few years. If he leads them to the playoffs a few times and lead them to a couple of Super Bowls, then it's a great move. They have been looking for a QB for a long time.
IMO, I think he is going to ba a very good QB. He's athletic, smart, and has a great arm. He's a playmaker and will make everybody around him that much better.

ok, guess you have to make a bold move sooner or later? still think this is a little much, but thats what happens when you're further back than Cleveland.

btw - if RGIII doesn't pan out, it'll set them back much more than "a few years".

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if u were to design the perfect qb from a physical standpoint for shanahan's system, u would get griffon.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are hoping that now that they are going to get RG3 this will attract a bigtime FA WR like Vincent Jackson.