• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins trade for RGIII

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they are hoping that now that they are going to get RG3 this will attract a bigtime FA WR like Vincent Jackson.

This deal (the rights to RGII) could be regarded as a recruiting tool in the future for acquiring big time UFAs.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, guess you have to make a bold move sooner or later? still think this is a little much, but thats what happens when you're further back than Cleveland.

btw - if RGIII doesn't pan out, it'll set them back much more than "a few years".

It seems a little much now, but at least they're trying to improve their team. They haven't had a good qb in a while. Like Dodub just stated, maybe this move will attract more FA. They are not further back than Cleveland. Redskins are better than the Browns. Except for last year's surprise season, look what happened to the Niners the last eight years without a good qb. They have been pathetic. Some has to be attributed to the coaching staff and the front office, but the Niners have been a debacle the past eight years before last year's success.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It seems a little much now, but at least they're trying to improve their team. They haven't had a good qb in a while. Like Dodub just stated, maybe this move will attract more FA. They are not further back than Cleveland. Redskins are better than the Browns. Except for last year's surprise season, look what happened to the Niners the last eight years without a good qb. They have been pathetic. Some has to be attributed to the coaching staff and the front office, but the Niners have been a debacle the past eight years before last year's success.

sorry, i meant slotted further back in this draft. so as such, they had to give up more to beat Cleveland's potential offer.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This deal (the rights to RGII) could be regarded as a recruiting tool in the future for acquiring big time UFAs.

you can't build with "big time FA's", you have to draft a foundation first. or are you saying they already have a foundation? somewhat of a foundation?

you could add "2nd tier" FA's meanwhile, but your future (ie long term) needs to come from the draft.

obviously, not having a 2nd rounder and two MORE 1st rounders is huge.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, i meant slotted further back in this draft. so as such, they had to give up more to beat Cleveland's potential offer.

Redskins did pay alot more than the Browns were willing to offer. Holmgren didn't want to part with the 2nd 1st rd pick. Browns were willing to switch spots with the Rams and also give them their 2013 1st rd pick along with their 2012 2nd rd pick. I guess that wasn't enough for the Rams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Redskins did pay alot more than the Browns were willing to offer. Holmgren didn't want to part with the 2nd 1st rd pick. Browns were willing to switch spots with the Rams and also give them their 2013 1st rd pick along with their 2012 2nd rd pick. I guess that wasn't enough for the Rams.

yep, clearly Washington gave up a ton, obviously they had better be right about RGIII?

looking at Cleveland alone, wouldn't the odds of their 2013 1st rounder be higher than the 22nd this draft? so just looking at 1st rounders (not who's in the draft) i'd rather offer this year's 22nd? granted this is asking a lot of patience from their fan base, giving up two high picks this draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL.com news: Alabama's Richardson reportedly high on Rams' draft list

Not that it would be a waste if the Rams used their first over all pick on Richardson, but I would much rather see them reach on a RB with one of their first rounders then get Blackmon or Floyd.

a reach? Richardson may not be worth #6 i guess, but is that a reach?

either way they get a good prospect, so for me rather not worry about it. even the Seahawks and Cardinals are higher slotted, and will get good prospects.....on paper.

Baalke and staff can only do their jobs and draft the best they can.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a reach? Richardson may not be worth #6 i guess, but is that a reach?

either way they get a good prospect, so for me rather not worry about it. even the Seahawks and Cardinals are higher slotted, and will get good prospects.....on paper.

Baalke and staff can only do their jobs and draft the best they can.

I consider it a reach to take a RB that early. Not anything against Richardson, because i think he will be a great RB in the NFL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I consider it a reach to take a RB that early. Not anything against Richardson, because i think he will be a great RB in the NFL.

i could see "a great RB" being best value at #6. he'd be like Adrian Petersen except catch better.....i think he catches well?

anyways, no argument the trend is to the pass, and hence the value of RB's not what it used to be.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could see "a great RB" being best value at #6. he'd be like Adrian Petersen except catch better.....i think he catches well?

anyways, no argument the trend is to the pass, and hence the value of RB's not what it used to be.

I see Richardson as a bigger MJD. He's not as athletic as Peterson, but he should have a good career. I'd still prefer they take him over Blackmon (if he is still there).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Redskins had to go after RG3
March, 10, 2012 1:27PM ET
By Todd McShay

Redskins To Get No. 2 Pick?
Redskins To Get No. 2 Pick?

The Washington Redskins' desire to find a franchise quarterback drove them to pay a huge bounty -- picks No. 6 and 39 in this year's draft, and first-rounders in 2013 and 2014 -- to the St. Louis Rams for the No. 2 overall pick and the right to draft Baylor QB Robert Griffin III, but it was a move the Redskins had to make.

Washington has dealt with all kinds of quarterback uncertainty in recent years, and the Redskins' need to remedy that situation, along with the competition for Griffin's services created plenty of urgency to get the deal done. It was surely hard for general manager Bruce Allen to part with so much, but Allen had no choice.

Robert Griffin III could provide the Redskins with the franchise quarterback they desperately need.

The difference between Griffin and the third quarterback on the board, Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill, is clear. Tannehill has a lot of potential, but Griffin is a great talent already and could very well become a top-10 NFL quarterback. The percentages are just so much higher with Griffin, and the fact that coach Mike Shanahan is so comfortable with Griffin's fit in his scheme likely put even more pressure on Allen to make something happen.

Shanahan likes quarterbacks who can move well, buying time in the pocket and also getting on the perimeter and creating a pass-run option, and Griffin fits the bill. He is the most athletic quarterback prospect since Michael Vick, and Griffin is a more polished passer and far superior in terms of football intelligence at this point in his development.

Throw in Griffin's intangibles in terms of leadership and mental toughness, and you have all the makings of a very good NFL starter. And now that the Redskins are set at quarterback, they are free to use approximately $40 million in salary cap space to fill other needs -- wide receiver, offensive tackle/guard, cornerback, linebacker -- through free agency.

Rams set up nicely

For new St. Louis general manager and new coach Jeff Fisher, this is a franchise-changing trade. If they handle their business correctly in the next three drafts the Rams will set themselves up for a decade of success.

The most successful teams in the NFL, those that are consistent playoff contenders, typically find three starters in each draft. St. Louis could now easily find at least nine starters over the next three drafts. And with the rookie wage scale having cut the price of first-round picks nearly in half, the Rams can afford to pay six first-round picks over the next three drafts without suffering big veteran salary-cap casualties.

Assuming St. Louis does not engage in New England Patriots-style maneuvering with its glut of picks, you're talking about locking down nearly half of the starting lineup for the foreseeable future. Something will have to go terribly wrong for that not to happen.

As for this year, the Rams have to feel pretty good about their chances of getting Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon with the sixth pick. The Minnesota Vikings are likely to select USC OT Matt Kalil at No. 3, and while Tannehill is a reach with the fourth pick the Browns could very well opt for Alabama RB Trent Richardson, who is one of the five elite talents (along with Kalil, Griffin, Andrew Luck and LSU CB Morris Claiborne) in this year's class.

Richardson and Claiborne will be heavily in the mix for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 5, which could very well leave Blackmon available to the Rams. His hands, route-running skills and physical style would give St. Louis QB Sam Bradford the true No. 1 target he has lacked during his first two years in the league.

If Blackmon comes off the board before St. Louis makes its first pick, the Rams should still be able to get the No. 2 offensive tackle on the board in Iowa's Riley Reiff. That would be a nice consolation prize given the fact that Bradford was nicked up last season and had durability issues coming out of college.

Assuming Blackmon is the pick, though, the Rams can then target one of the top five cornerbacks on the board -- perhaps South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore, or North Alabama's Janoris Jenkins if character concerns drop him out of the first round -- and an offensive tackle such as Zebrie Sanders (Florida State), Bobby Massie (Mississippi) or Mitchell Schwartz (California) with those second-round picks.

The price was high for the Redskins and the rewards great for the Rams, and in the end this is a trade that could truly benefit both teams.