• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins trade for RGIII

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it though. If I was a Skins fan I'd throw everything I have away. RG3 is not worth what they gave up, he never will be. :crutch:

if they can make the right moves in free agency, it could turn out to be a brilliant trade. doesn't have to be an eagles dream team kinda offseason, but they need to surround griffon with a bit more talent. he could have a rough year otherwise

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was bs when i heard it from my room mate. Then if ou nd out it was true and how much they gave up for it. Rams can't muff 6 top 15 picks for the next 3 years and four 2nds. The only good things out of this deal is that the Rams will not get Blackmon or Kalil.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was bs when i heard it from my room mate. Then if ou nd out it was true and how much they gave up for it. Rams can't muff 6 top 15 picks for the next 3 years and four 2nds. The only good things out of this deal is that the Rams will not get Blackmon or Kalil.

Not that this will or should happen, but I wonder what it would take for them to then trade up to get Blackmon or Kalil (sp.?)?

NolanNonsense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Typical Daniel Snyder foolishness. Give up your future for a gimmick college QB. Brilliant move by the Rams.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My day after sober view on this:

I am coming to grips with the trade. The price was steep for sure, but the Redskins almost had to make this move. Quarterbacks make this league, and are few and far between.

Three things make this a bit less of a risk than it would have been 5 years ago:

1. The rookie salary structure will protect th Redskins in paying for him. He will make 20 million over four years, not 50 million. If he is a bust, it does not kill us long term.

2. The Redskins have at least 41 million to spend to fill some holes. They need a couple of receivers, and O lineman, but they are set at LT and C, and have a few young wideouts with experience (Hankerson, Paul, Austin). Hopefully Chris Cooley is back, 100%, or they need to re-sign Fred Davis (which they likely will). A tight end is a quarterback's best friend and those are two good ones.

3. The Redskins are not a terrible team. They have a solid front seven in defense and exceptional pass rushers in Orakpo and Kerrigan. They are not a complete disaster of a team. This is a team that beat the Giants twice last year.

Do I like the move, it is to early to tell. I want to see how the Redskins spend their money first. Apparently, if it was not going to be the two firsts, it was going to have to be Orakpo and/or Kerrigan. Fuck that. I will trade draft picks before young studs anyday. It is a risk, and it was expensive, but hell, it may work.

(I realize you are an example of winning with an average QB and that scares the shit out of me, when you do get one, but it is still a lot easier with a top QB)

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking out of ignorance here, but did Fisher have GM responsibilities in either the Oilers/Titans job or now with the Rams? I get that he has input, but so does Shanahan. At the end of the day, a bad GM will absolutely hamstring the best coach. Ask Bill Parcells about his stay in Dallas on that one.

Not really. He wanted Cutler the year the Texas owner drafted Vince Young.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing that bothers me: the timing of this thing. Why would you give up that much at this point? A team that needs a QB will get Manning. The Jets extended Sanchez. Some team will pick up Matt Flynn and give him starter money. Competition for that pick comes down to probably two teams, and possibly not even that. Why not let that stuff shake out before trading for the pick?

They were in a dog fight with Cleveland. Browns thought they had a deal when they were told it was the Skins.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like RG III better with the Redskins than the Browns, I think they finally found their franchise guy plus he'll be on TV more since the NFC East is ALWAYS on tv it seems.

I'm sure RG III is the happiest guy ever right now that he didn't have to go to the Browns, when asked about the Browns trying to trade for him RG III responded "I hope someone falls in love with me", now this doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't want the Browns but it sounded a little strange to me.

If I'm the Browns I just cut my losses and look at either Justin Blackmon or Malcom Floyd with their first 1st rounder and if they truely have given up on Colt McCoy I'm going after Ryan Tannehill. That would give them their big time WR and their QB going forward but if I'm them I'm not giving up on McCoy quite this fast, the guy has had no weapons to work with thus far in his career (I can't believe I just defended McCoy). Of course that could always trade down and pick up even more picks but that would be silly since they are in desperate need of a WR.

The Rams set themselves up bigtime, IMO they made off like bandits in this one. They move down 4 spots in the first round and pick up two extra first round picks and a second rounder. They get the position they both want and need in WR, they'll either have Floyd or Blackmon sitting there waiting for them. They also now have the ammo to trade back into the 1st round and upgrade another position on their team. They are truely sitting pretty after this one.

IMO I see winners all around in this trade, except maybe the Browns who were already in great positon this year anyway with 2 first rounders.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even trying to read any of this thread, just stopped by to say "FUCK THE REDSKINS!!"

Yep, is there anything these guys don't fuck up? The FA market is out of control because they overpay for everyone, and now in their stupidity to overpay for draftpicks they helped out the rams considerably.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My day after sober view on this:

I am coming to grips with the trade. The price was steep for sure, but the Redskins almost had to make this move. Quarterbacks make this league, and are few and far between.

Three things make this a bit less of a risk than it would have been 5 years ago:

1. The rookie salary structure will protect th Redskins in paying for him. He will make 20 million over four years, not 50 million. If he is a bust, it does not kill us long term.

2. The Redskins have at least 41 million to spend to fill some holes. They need a couple of receivers, and O lineman, but they are set at LT and C, and have a few young wideouts with experience (Hankerson, Paul, Austin). Hopefully Chris Cooley is back, 100%, or they need to re-sign Fred Davis (which they likely will). A tight end is a quarterback's best friend and those are two good ones.

3. The Redskins are not a terrible team. They have a solid front seven in defense and exceptional pass rushers in Orakpo and Kerrigan. They are not a complete disaster of a team. This is a team that beat the Giants twice last year.

Do I like the move, it is to early to tell. I want to see how the Redskins spend their money first. Apparently, if it was not going to be the two firsts, it was going to have to be Orakpo and/or Kerrigan. Fuck that. I will trade draft picks before young studs anyday. It is a risk, and it was expensive, but hell, it may work.

(I realize you are an example of winning with an average QB and that scares the shit out of me, when you do get one, but it is still a lot easier with a top QB)

they gave him the tag

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, is there anything these guys don't fuck up? The FA market is out of control because they overpay for everyone, and now in their stupidity to overpay for draftpicks they helped out the rams considerably.

Yes they overpaid, but it was the RIGHT move to do by them. And by me saying "overpaid", I'm using the term loosely because I they don't necessarily have to rely on the "draft" to build. Let's analyze this further: What are the pros and cons of not having 3 consecutive 1st round picks? We ALL KNOW the cons, but for the pros (even if it makes very little sense, let's see the good that come out of it); in which case would be to having to dish out $$ on high draft picks. They could use free agency period as their draft class. In RGIII they believe they have finally secured their franchise QB, the following year they can draft (again, by draft I mean..FAs) players like Maurice-Jones-Drew, Desean Jackson or better yet Calvin Johnson. Dan Gronkowski, Brandon Albert or Jake Long; etc. Of course it's far fetched because most of these marquee players will get tagged. But I'm certain just like Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson this year, there will be a couple big name FAs that will be available in 2013 for the Skins to choose from. All they have to have 1 or 2 big acquisitions within 2013-2014 (period in which they do not have a 1st round pick). It was not a bad move for the Redskins at all!

As far as the Rams is concerned. Yes we need to be worried! We don't know too much about this new GM. He may be a stud in evaluating talent. Let's not underestimate them at all in this division.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that this will or should happen, but I wonder what it would take for them to then trade up to get Blackmon or Kalil (sp.?)?

if i was the rams i would be inquiring, but it would most likely cost them a couple 1st rounders. it's also possible for blackmon to drop to 6. does tampa go corner instead? does cleveland go richardson?