• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@VTSparks I will also say this. And this is not directed at you or any one in particular.

Part of me wonders if any one will ever just come out and admit they dont want us to resign Cousins long term because they feel we would be better off trying to get one of these fabulous rookies in next years draft. So what if Kirk has another good year.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again Im going to point out three simple things.

1. Lucks actual fully guaranteed money AT signing was only $47M. Now I say this to put it in context, we gave Norman $50M fully guaranteed ( I know All Pro Player) but the real point is, Lucks numbers are mostly performance and roster based beyond that $47M, meaning if he is cut or traded, he doesnt see the bulk of that money from the Colts.

I understand, but another large chunk is guaranteed through his first couple of years. Luck is basically getting paid $75 million guaranteed for the first 2 years of his contract (if he makes it 5 days into the 2018 league year). Sure in theory they could cut him after this season but by that point the guy has already gotten paid the bulk of his money. SO they aren't going to cut him loose unless he is completely stinking it up.

Our FO is trying to do the same thing minus one year. I agree, its not necessarily a good deal for KC, but once again. Maybe the FO would rather pay him the cap deal on another 1 year prove it deal and they will gladly pay him at least the Luck contract later if he kills it. If they don't like what they see, he can move on and so can we. I know...in alot of ways it doesnt make sense, but in some ways it does. It protects us from being tied to a QB that isn't what "some thought he was" for several years..

Maybe our people are willing to pay the guy even more later to know that he is our guy for years to come.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, but another large chunk is guaranteed through his first couple of years. Luck is basically getting paid $75 million guaranteed for the first 2 years of his contract (if he makes it 5 days into the 2018 league year). Sure in theory they could cut him after this season but by that point the guy has already gotten paid the bulk of his money. SO they aren't going to cut him loose unless he is completely stinking it up.

Our FO is trying to do the same thing minus one year. I agree, its not necessarily a good deal for KC, but once again. Maybe the FO would rather pay him the cap deal on another 1 year prove it deal and they will gladly pay him at least the Luck contract later if he kills it. If they don't like what they see, he can move on and so can we. I know...in alot of ways it doesnt make sense, but in some ways it does. It protects us from being tied to a QB that isn't what "some thought he was" for several years..

Maybe our people are willing to pay the guy even more later to know that he is our guy for years to come.

Again I will point out, most of lucks money past the $47 million is tied into roster triggers. Our front office wanted to do $27M with a bunch of roster triggers. No where in the same league. Our front office wants to lock Kirk up long term, with the benefit of cutting him loose after this year should they get a wild hair up their collective asses.

Our people are basically trying to hedge the bet again and leave the option open to release him after one year. Because we all know that if he signed a deal like that and outperformed his deal, he aint getting a raise. I get it, some of you are on the TEAMS side on this apparently, and want to hedge just in case Kirk fails. But reality is, if they expect him to fail they never should have tagged him to begin with. And if the thinking is, keep the option open to go after one of these uber rookies... again they never should have tagged him. Any one saying... we need to see MORE, is simply moving the goal posts and sort of winning a Lombardi this year most will find a reason to NOT pay Kirk what his price will be next year in any case.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right. I cant forecast numbers now. There is no reason to sign him now. I said this 1000 times. why cant you understand it?

i can and have forecasted numbers

YR SALARY PROJECTED CAP CAP SPACE

2017 $172,026,070 $176,566,665 $4,540,595
2018 $123,273,314 $178,000,000 $54,726,686
2019 $1 10,389,690 $190,000,000 $79,610,310
2020 $86,911,376 $200,000,000 $113,088,624
2021 $24,950,000 $200,000,000 $175,050,000
2022 $7,750,000 $200,000,000 $192,250,000

so your argument about cap space doesnt hold water at all we will have plenty for the next half decade

signing him now gives us a definite number to work with at a cheaper cost and ability to spread out the money

the only reason you dont do that is if you want a shiny new toy via the draft

1. You have no idea what the numbers are. So this point means shit.
2. You are assuming he wants to sign back with us this year at a team friendly deal. which is wrong.
3. You have more options dealing with this next year than now.

no one has said a team friendly deal is involved nor should it . he is a top 70 players 2 years running and wants to be paid market value .
you dont have more options next year you have the same ones we had this year but instead you are driving the cost up unnecessarily
there is no evidence he doesnt want to be back here and everything he has stated points to wanting to be here

You are trying to predict what is going to happen next off season right now which is crazy. that is the bottom line. You are Dr. Doom its been proven all off season.

DR doom , as you call him is man enough to state his position without the tap dancing you have done all off season from trades to ,"lets wait and see" and in this conversation here today you stated you didnt care if he left

here is why you catch so much crap . you are a bet hedger , you move the goal posts , and you deny what your true feelings are when its plain as day what you are about . then you pretend its something else when we all know your full of it . just admit you want to be right more then anything regarding the team and you are a KC disliker and then perhaps we can let up on your foolish assertions

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a long term deal this year b/c we have more options next year if it doesn't get done. I must of said this 1000 times. Still not sinking in?

How do we have more options next season? What options do we have next season that we didn't this season? KC has more options next season because we won't FT him.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt you just an hour ago tell me cap implications in the future are pure speculation and have no meaning right now??

And waiting another year has worse cap implications.

So, lets try again.

If we sign Kirk long term now, it means we wont be able to what???

Dean is so full of shit he can't remember where he put it all.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean is so full of shit he can't remember where he put it all.

Now now, lets be nice and all act like grown ups. :D

I agree with Dean that we do have options. I have even laid most of them out. I discount the posibility of us losing Kirk and some how Suds or McCoy get named the starter. Only way I see this happening is if we lose Kirk and DONT draft one of the uberstud 10 in next years draft.

But i maintain, if we are going to draft a QB in next years draft, it only comes one of two ways.

1. We really really suck and have a top five pick.

2. We dont suck, but arent great. Which i think leads to another BobbyGriffsox type trade.

Because lets be real, if we are going to draft a QB, Danny and Bruce are NOT going to risk getting stuck with the 4th or 5th QB to be drafted.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah he has bailed on this foolishness

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@VTSparks I will also say this. And this is not directed at you or any one in particular.

Part of me wonders if any one will ever just come out and admit they dont want us to resign Cousins long term because they feel we would be better off trying to get one of these fabulous rookies in next years draft. So what if Kirk has another good year.
i will only admit that kirk is good but he does and will not single handley win games like brady, rogers p. manning he needs help to be good now with kirk we are around 10-6 8-8 9-7 this is not elite i like useing green bay asa model for the skins the pack is always in the the playoffs why qb rogers idk i like ck but there are better qbs in next year draft

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more risk in signing KC to a LTD now than next year. If he plays well we have options to bring him back. IF we lose him to a giant contract I wouldn't be upset.

Wouldn't be upset? LOL - now I know that you are a complete liar. You were practically begging for the Redskins to get rid of him early in the offseason. Admit it - you don't like the guy & you appear to be one of these old men (or old souls) who has an issue with anyone making a lot of money. Also - this idea that lots of other Redskins fans share your viewpoint is 100% bullshit. In the real world I am constantly asked by Redskins fans & fans of other teams why the Redskins have not already extended Cousins. I have not once heard anyone say that they should keep paying him on these stupid tags (only you & perhaps a few others here). In your delusional world you believe that the Redskins fan base simply consists of posters on this board - laughable.

Call me whatever you like in your replies - I will take that as a compliment since your opinion means nothing to me - except perhaps as a source for laughter. Have at it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will only admit that kirk is good but he does and will not single handley win games like brady, rogers p. manning he needs help to be good now with kirk we are around 10-6 8-8 9-7 this is not elite i like useing green bay asa model for the skins the pack is always in the the playoffs why qb rogers idk i like ck but there are better qbs in next year draft

So you are advocating that the Redskins keep searching for QBs until they find the next Brady or Rodgers? OK - good luck with that.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be upset? LOL - now I know that you are a complete liar. You were practically begging for the Redskins to get rid of him early in the offseason. Admit it - you don't like the guy & you appear to be one of these old men (or old souls) who has an issue with anyone making a lot of money. Also - this idea that lots of other Redskins fans share your viewpoint is 100% bullshit. In the real world I am constantly asked by Redskins fans & fans of other teams why the Redskins have not already extended Cousins. I have not once heard anyone say that they should keep paying him on these stupid tags (only you & perhaps a few others here). In your delusional world you believe that the Redskins fan base simply consists of posters on this board - laughable.

Call me whatever you like in your replies - I will take that as a compliment since your opinion means nothing to me - except perhaps as a source for laughter. Have at it.

you just assume KC gave the team an offer and he wants to sign back this year. If you don't care about my opinion why respond directly to me. Nobody knows whats going on so you and others cant comment on it.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can and have forecasted numbers

YR SALARY PROJECTED CAP CAP SPACE

2017 $172,026,070 $176,566,665 $4,540,595
2018 $123,273,314 $178,000,000 $54,726,686
2019 $1 10,389,690 $190,000,000 $79,610,310
2020 $86,911,376 $200,000,000 $113,088,624
2021 $24,950,000 $200,000,000 $175,050,000
2022 $7,750,000 $200,000,000 $192,250,000

so your argument about cap space doesnt hold water at all we will have plenty for the next half decade

signing him now gives us a definite number to work with at a cheaper cost and ability to spread out the money

the only reason you dont do that is if you want a shiny new toy via the draft

DR doom , as you call him is man enough to state his position without the tap dancing you have done all off season from trades to ,"lets wait and see" and in this conversation here today you stated you didnt care if he left

here is why you catch so much crap . you are a bet hedger , you move the goal posts , and you deny what your true feelings are when its plain as day what you are about . then you pretend its something else when we all know your full of it . just admit you want to be right more then anything regarding the team and you are a KC disliker and then perhaps we can let up on your foolish assertions

How am I moving the goalposts when I have said the same thing for 4 months now? lol. You are a sick man dude. I love how you say its all the Redskins fault and you have no idea what the offers are.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I moving the goalposts when I have said the same thing for 4 months now? lol. You are a sick man dude. I love how you say its all the Redskins fault and you have no idea what the offers are.

So why is it ok for you to assume that Kirk MUST be asking for some earth shattering contract or that he actually doesnt want to be with the Redskins at all??

You are right, we have no idea what his ask is, but we do know that the last offer the Redskins made barely scratches bottom tier starter money. So yea, to a degree this is mostly on the Redskins front office. They have had two seasons now worth of tape to decide if Kirk is the guy or not. Yet they continue to play the we want you... but we want to see more game.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why is it ok for you to assume that Kirk MUST be asking for some earth shattering contract or that he actually doesnt want to be with the Redskins at all??

You are right, we have no idea what his ask is, but we do know that the last offer the Redskins made barely scratches bottom tier starter money. So yea, to a degree this is mostly on the Redskins front office. They have had two seasons now worth of tape to decide if Kirk is the guy or not. Yet they continue to play the we want you... but we want to see more game.

b/c there would have been reports that his agent has made offers and KC wants to stay here. We hear nothing of this and I personally think KC wants to play on the tag again this year. So this is why no serious offers have been made by the Redskins. Its speculation of course. Its just my opinion. Im fine with it. Doenst mean I hate KC or do not have confidence in him to succeed here. Im sure you guys will take this statement and make stupid theories from it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jesus christ dean this shit has been going on for 2 years and you have moved the goalposts each time so stop lying to us and yourself

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jesus christ dean this shit has been going on for 2 years and you have moved the goalposts each time so stop lying to us and yourself

2 years? lol.