• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know what is happening. So you cant comment on it.

there are some things we know for a fact.

Fact 1...

If Cousins performs up to your standards, there are only two ways the Redskins keep him.

1. LTD... this will likely be in the $30M a season range at that point. And only if they get it done before the franchise tag deadline, if they tag him, his price again goes UP.

2. Franchise tag him. If they tag him again, history has shown that he will be fine with betting on himself. And thus the odds of a long term deal go down.

Fact 2...

If Cousins reaches the level of play to satisfy you, the transition tag is not really an option. Because if a team can sign him out from under up with no compensation and he is in fact an elite QB at that time, some one will. Also if we trans tag him and he leaves, we get nothing. No third round comp pick, and we are looking for a QB.

So really the only options we have if we take the wait and see approach are

1. Pay him $30M a year on average, when we could have avoided that by paying him $24M a year on average

2. Keep him for one more year on the franchise tag at $35M

3. Let him hit the FA Market with no tag, and hope that he is willing to let us match the best offer he gets and if not take the 3rd rounder in 2019... in which case we are still looking for a QB.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fact 1...

If Cousins performs up to your standards, there are only two ways the Redskins keep him.

1. LTD... this will likely be in the $30M a season range at that point. And only if they get it done before the franchise tag deadline, if they tag him, his price again goes UP.

2. Franchise tag him. If they tag him again, history has shown that he will be fine with betting on himself. And thus the odds of a long term deal go down.

Fact 2...

If Cousins reaches the level of play to satisfy you, the transition tag is not really an option. Because if a team can sign him out from under up with no compensation and he is in fact an elite QB at that time, some one will. Also if we trans tag him and he leaves, we get nothing. No third round comp pick, and we are looking for a QB.

1. Pay him $30M a year on average, when we could have avoided that by paying him $24M a year on average

3. Let him hit the FA Market with no tag, and hope that he is willing to let us match the best offer he gets and if not take the 3rd rounder in 2019... in which case we are still looking for a QB.

this post means nothing b/c we have to play this season first.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fact 1...

Fact 2...

There is a 4th option which some really hope for. We let him walk so we can trade up for one of the 15 franchise QBs coming out next year. Lets be real. They are all destined for greatness. How can we miss?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Cousins on the tag again is like

Lets lease a car because we arent sure we actually want to buy it. At the end of the lease, we arent sure. So lets now lease it again at a higher price. if we do decide we actually like it, lets then finance our 2015 car, at 2018 prices and just consider the last two years of payments as the cost we spent to be REALLY sure we like this car.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Cousins on the tag again is like

Lets lease a car because we arent sure we actually want to buy it. At the end of the lease, we arent sure. So lets now lease it again at a higher price. if we do decide we actually like it, lets then finance our 2015 car, at 2018 prices and just consider the last two years of payments as the cost we spent to be REALLY sure we like this car.

I just love how you don't evaluate risk at all.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ask patriots fans in the Butler int was a game winning play or a key play. lol
See, this is the difference between me and you. I don't need validation for my views. You constantly point to others (most of which are just weekend fans) to validate your wishes.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, this is the difference between me and you. I don't need validation for my views. You constantly point to others (most of which are just weekend fans) to validate your wishes.

Im just pointing out that you are a nut. If Butlers int wasn't a game winning play then what is? Or is that even in your vocabulary.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just pointing out that you are a nut. If Butlers int wasn't a game winning play then what is? Or is that even in your vocabulary.
It was a game saving play. That I would agree with. But what about the other 99 plays that game? If Brady misses on just one of his TD passes, that INT means nothing and probably would have never happened as Seattle would have been running out the clock. So was Brady's TD passes game winning plays? Get it yet?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a game saving play. That I would agree with. But what about the other 99 plays that game? If Brady misses on just one of his TD passes, that INT means nothing and probably would have never happened as Seattle would have been running out the clock. So was Brady's TD passes game winning plays? Get it yet?

After the INt the game was over hence game winning play. Get it yet?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love how you don't evaluate risk at all.

Of what risk do you speak?? You mean if he totally fails and we have to then eat a few million?? Thats like saying IM going to spend $24 million now, knowing i might have to spend more later so I can prove I was right. Not factoring in that it would actually hurt us LESS if he totally bomed but we have already paid most of that bonus, than it would to have to account for a new larger bonus on top of what we already spent.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of what risk do you speak?? You mean if he totally fails and we have to then eat a few million?? Thats like saying IM going to spend $24 million now, knowing i might have to spend more later so I can prove I was right. Not factoring in that it would actually hurt us LESS if he totally bomed but we have already paid most of that bonus, than it would to have to account for a new larger bonus on top of what we already spent.

its Dr. Doom at his finest. Blast the offseason. Blast the organization. Blast the franchise tag.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its Dr. Doom at his finest. Blast the offseason. Blast the organization. Blast the franchise tag.

And Captain Sunshine who thinks there is no risk of losing him and lacks the sack to just admit his real fear in signing Cousins long term is that it would prevent the team from going after one of these designted franchise rookies next year.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Captain Sunshine who thinks there is no risk of losing him and lacks the sack to just admit his real fear in signing Cousins long term is that it would prevent the team from going after one of these designted franchise rookies next year.

No when did I ever say I hated KC? You make everyone out to be a KC hater if you don't want to sign him Long term this year. Your forecasting of numbers, draft position, and cap space means nothing right now.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No when did I ever say I hated KC? You make everyone out to be a KC hater if you don't want to sign him Long term this year. Your forecasting of numbers, draft position, and cap space means nothing right now.

Where did I say in this post you hated KC?? I said your fear in signing him long term is that it would probably mean the team would NOT trade up for any of these uber stud rookies.

And actually forcasts of cap space, Contracts and our potential draft position mean everything.

If we signed Kirk long term, and finished 10-6 but miss the playoffs, it would mean we wont trade up for a QB, and might mean we didnt take one in the first round either.

If we finish the same 10-6, miss the playoffs but Kirk is not signed, it leaves open the option of letting him walk and drafting or even trading up for that rookie.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say in this post you hated KC?? I said your fear in signing him long term is that it would probably mean the team would NOT trade up for any of these uber stud rookies.

And actually forcasts of cap space, Contracts and our potential draft position mean everything.

If we signed Kirk long term, and finished 10-6 but miss the playoffs, it would mean we wont trade up for a QB, and might mean we didnt take one in the first round either.

If we finish the same 10-6, miss the playoffs but Kirk is not signed, it leaves open the option of letting him walk and drafting or even trading up for that rookie.

Yes they mean something but not right now. You are in the camp for its KC at all costs. No matter what happens this year. I want you to find out what the offer was the agent made to the redskins for a ltd.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they mean something but not right now. You are in the camp for its KC at all costs. No matter what happens this year. I want you to find out what the offer was the agent made to the redskins for a ltd.

Let me correct you yet again. Im of the camp that iM fine paying Cousins what it costs because I DONT expect him to fail. And unless he totally fails, I would rather eat the cap space for one more year than be in a position where we burn multiple picks on another rookie QB. And even if the team does totally fail, I would think in that case we still wouldnt be spending multiple picks to trade up. So to me its smarter to hedge your bet on the team and Cousins doing well and save the cap space, than to hedge your bet on he might fail, but if he doesnt we are going to spend more or lose him.