• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 3rd round comp off a 4th round investment

Cmon Sdad. He's worth a lot more than that and you know it.

That's like you saying it would be OK with buying a beat up old Corvette for $5000, putting new paint on it, rebuilding the interior, completely restoring it, engine and all...investing a lot of time in it....

....and then selling it for $8000 to some hustler because you got tired of it and it was the first offer you got.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon Sdad. He's worth a lot more than that and you know it.

That's like you saying it would be OK with buying a beat up old Corvette for $5000, putting new paint on it, rebuilding the interior, completely restoring it, engine and all...investing a lot of time in it....

....and then selling it for $8000 to some hustler because you got tired of it and it was the first offer you got.
the fact is we improved on the investment . whether he is worth more then that isnt a question , he is . i believe we transition him in 2018 he signs an offer from another team and either we match it or work a trade with the signing team . and yes we can work a deal because of our threat to match the offer . cap space isnt an issue . then if needed we draft a qb from a better class . .

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact is we improved on the investment . whether he is worth more then that isnt a question , he is . i believe we transition him in 2018 he signs an offer from another team and either we match it or work a trade with the signing team . and yes we can work a deal because of our threat to match the offer . cap space isnt an issue . then if needed we draft a qb from a better class . .

I see your point, and I admit I don't know much about the Tag stuff. But that seems like we would be taking a big gamble. What if this scenario played out, the other team called our bluff and let us match/beat their deal and didn't offer a trade deal for his rights? Then what? Do we have KC playing on another 1 year $30 million dollar contract? If a team gave him an offer sheet, would it be for a LTD or one year until they can work a LTD out?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point, and I admit I don't know much about the Tag stuff. But that seems like we would be taking a big gamble. What if this scenario played out, the other team called our bluff and let us match/beat their deal and didn't offer a trade deal for his rights? Then what? Do we have KC playing on another 1 year $30 million dollar contract? If a team gave him an offer sheet, would it be for a LTD or one year until they can work a LTD out?
i cant see anyone offering only a one year deal or KC signing that , but if it happens you match the 30 mil

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or a 3rd round comp for a franchise QB. Your analogy is like saying I paid 200K for a house 10 years ago that is now worth $1M. But I'm OK if I get $300K. Good deal.
its not a loss

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not a loss

Got to disagree. How is it NOT a loss. We would get a 3rd rounder, so basically a pick that has about a 50% chance of making a contribution... and we would lose at worst a decent QB, at best a franchise QB. So basically we get a shot at Matt Jones, because Bruce was to much of a dick to sign the best QB we have had in what 20 years to a long term deal??

Sorry but I got to agree with Jay, its like buying a house for $100K, investing another $300K while you live in it, then selling it for $150K. Sure you actually MADE $50K (technically) more than you bought it for, but in the end you are $250K in the hole.

And Homeless.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to disagree. How is it NOT a loss. We would get a 3rd rounder, so basically a pick that has about a 50% chance of making a contribution... and we would lose at worst a decent QB, at best a franchise QB. So basically we get a shot at Matt Jones, because Bruce was to much of a dick to sign the best QB we have had in what 20 years to a long term deal??

Sorry but I got to agree with Jay, its like buying a house for $100K, investing another $300K while you live in it, then selling it for $150K. Sure you actually MADE $50K (technically) more than you bought it for, but in the end you are $250K in the hole.

And Homeless.
fact is they paid for services rendered so the spending part of the equation doesnt fly because he honored it . my point is we can have a plan that can work with the trans tag , to get more if needed . we tage him with the trans tag and KC goes and gets a team to sign him , we can match it , let him go for free , or work out a trade for more then a 3rd round pick , or no one signs him and we pay 28 mil and do it all again in 2018 with a better qb class

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fact is they paid for services rendered so the spending part of the equation doesnt fly because he honored it . my point is we can have a plan that can work with the trans tag , to get more if needed . we tage him with the trans tag and KC goes and gets a team to sign him , we can match it , let him go for free , or work out a trade for more then a 3rd round pick , or no one signs him and we pay 28 mil and do it all again in 2018 with a better qb class

Actually, if we trans tag him, he gets an offer that we dont match.. we dont get any compensation aside from the 3rd rounder. Because the 3rd doesnt come from the team who signs him, it comes from the league. So our options would be, match the deal, or take the third. And if we trans tag him, and he gets no offers, we basically watch him walk after 2018 for nothing. Assuming he doesnt get an offer that is.

Also the spending part of the equation is perfectly valid. We basically built some one elses dream QB, and in the end only got back a 3rd rounder for all the time and money we invested in building that dream QB for some one else.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, if we trans tag him, he gets an offer that we dont match.. we dont get any compensation aside from the 3rd rounder. Because the 3rd doesnt come from the team who signs him, it comes from the league. So our options would be, match the deal, or take the third. And if we trans tag him, and he gets no offers, we basically watch him walk after 2018 for nothing. Assuming he doesnt get an offer that is.

Also the spending part of the equation is perfectly valid. We basically built some one elses dream QB, and in the end only got back a 3rd rounder for all the time and money we invested in building that dream QB for some one else.
nope a trade can be negotated with the threat of a matching

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The transition tag isn't going to work next year. You seem to dismiss that there is an underlying reason why KC has not been signed to a long term contract. It is because the brain trust in Ashburn does't think he is worth it. They are not going to go all in at the transition tag value next year (which may be well north of $28M) without looking like complete idiots. That would mean that over 3 years they paid KC north of $72M. How stupid would they look? And then just have him walk away the next year.

No, this is it. Either they sign him to a long term deal within the next few weeks or he is gone in 2018. And if that is the case, then they better do what is best for the team and trade him before the draft this year and get as much as they can to beef up the supporting cast for the next QB in barrel for the Redskins.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The transition tag isn't going to work next year. You seem to dismiss that there is an underlying reason why KC has not been signed to a long term contract. It is because the brain trust in Ashburn does't think he is worth it. They are not going to go all in at the transition tag value next year (which may be well north of $28M) without looking like complete idiots. That would mean that over 3 years they paid KC north of $72M. How stupid would they look? And then just have him walk away the next year.

No, this is it. Either they sign him to a long term deal within the next few weeks or he is gone in 2018. And if that is the case, then they better do what is best for the team and trade him before the draft this year and get as much as they can to beef up the supporting cast for the next QB in barrel for the Redskins.
we will see what happens

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pass. He is a very mediocre QB coming off a major injury. Only way he could possibly even be considered is if he lights it up next season (w/ Vikings or whoever) & in that case he would likely be signed for 2018 by that team. If he mainly just rides the bench next season or plays mediocre again then he really isn't much better than a lot of journeymen QBs.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass. He is a very mediocre QB coming off a major injury. Only way he could possibly even be considered is if he lights it up next season (w/ Vikings or whoever) & in that case he would likely be signed for 2018 by that team. If he mainly just rides the bench next season or plays mediocre again then he really isn't much better than a lot of journeymen QBs.
He showed a lot of potential considering he was 22/23 years old - more than Cousins did when he was older, and I wouldn't assume the Skins will have a lot of better choices. And that knee injury might keep him off the field for some - if not all - of 2017.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He showed a lot of potential considering he was 22/23 years old - more than Cousins did when he was older, and I wouldn't assume the Skins will have a lot of better choices. And that knee injury might keep him off the field for some - if not all - of 2017.

Teddy Bridgewater

What exactly has he done with the Vikings to really impress anyone? Granted he was better than Cousins was in his first few years, but Cousins was pretty bad during that time. There is no guarantee that Bridgewater will progress at the same rate. I really saw nothing that impressive about him on the field & his stats are hardly impressive. He appears to have primarily benefitted by having AP and the Vikings defense do well in 2015. When AP was out in 2014 & the D wasn't as good the team was terrible & he was just average.

I really don't view this guy as that good of a QB - we will see.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Bridgewater

What exactly has he done with the Vikings to really impress anyone? Granted he was better than Cousins was in his first few years, but Cousins was pretty bad during that time. There is no guarantee that Bridgewater will progress at the same rate. I really saw nothing that impressive about him on the field & his stats are hardly impressive. He appears to have primarily benefitted by having AP and the Vikings defense do well in 2015. When AP was out in 2014 & the D wasn't as good the team was terrible & he was just average.

I really don't view this guy as that good of a QB - we will see.
It was his first TWO years in the NFL, and he put up solid numbers. That's my point about Cousins - most QB's don't look real good in the first 2 years in the NFL - even QB's who turn out to be great. He did well in comparison to the vast majority of NFL QBs at his age. Again you seem to think we'll have our choice of much better options. Who are these options we'll have that are so much better than Bridgewater?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was his first TWO years in the NFL, and he put up solid numbers. That's my point about Cousins - most QB's don't look real good in the first 2 years in the NFL - even QB's who turn out to be great. He did well in comparison to the vast majority of NFL QBs at his age. Again you seem to think we'll have our choice of much better options. Who are these options we'll have that are so much better than Bridgewater?

For 2018 they always have the option of Cousins whether by extension or another tag. I am sure that there are other options, and you appear to just ignore the fact that Bridgewater is coming off a major injury. We will see.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 2018 they always have the option of Cousins whether by extension or another tag. I am sure that there are other options, and you appear to just ignore the fact that Bridgewater is coming off a major injury. We will see.
No, I'm the one who reminded you that Bridgewater might not play this year. That's the opposite of ignoring his injury. I just pointed him out as an option fro 2018 and disagreed with you when you said he's clearly not an option. Cousins is most likely not going to be on the Skins roster next season, imo. That's why I'm looking at options for the Skins in 2018.