• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philips has proven throughout his career that he can hit in the 2 hole. His job in the clean up spot so far this year, is to drive runs in, which he's been doing better than the majority of the league. Comparing the two like C. Trent is doing, is inherently flawed.

It is flawed, except, you know...when it's not.

Phillips career slash line: .272/.320/.430

career slash in 2 spot: .277/.320/.424

Phillips in 2013 (2 starts in 2 hole plus rest of season in 4): .265/.310/.404

So, essentially, you still have a guy who isn't getting on base a ton hitting infront of Votto, which I'm pretty sure is what CTrent was saying...even his career slash line in the 2-spot isn't exactly getting done OBP-wise. It's not like Phillips is going to start getting on base at a .360-.370 clip because, that's not his game.

And even if Phillips disagrees with what was being pointed out, the way he went about the entire thing was as classless as you can get. There's simply no excuse for it, and you can't defend it.

If Dusty had any balls he would have told Phillips to shut his mouth and get over it. Prove 'em wrong on the field and go about his business. Instead, he sat there with a grin on his face (visably uncomfortable) as the entire exchange took place. At the very least Dusty could have asked everyone to leave except BP and CT and let them hash it out behind closed doors. Yet, none of that still excuses how BP treated another person. It can't be defended.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see both sides. Phillips HAS proven to be a good #2 hitter in the past, and C Trent's comparison to Frazier is unfair in this instance. But that doesn't justify Brandon's getting personal with C Trent.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, essentially, you still have a guy who isn't getting on base a ton hitting infront of Votto, which I'm pretty sure is what CTrent was saying...even his career slash line in the 2-spot isn't exactly getting done OBP-wise. It's not like Phillips is going to start getting on base at a .360-.370 clip because, that's not his game.

And even if Phillips disagrees with what was being pointed out, the way he went about the entire thing was as classless as you can get. There's simply no excuse for it, and you can't defend it.

If Dusty had any balls he would have told Phillips to shut his mouth and get over it. Prove 'em wrong on the field and go about his business. Instead, he sat there with a grin on his face (visably uncomfortable) as the entire exchange took place. At the very least Dusty could have asked everyone to leave except BP and CT and let them hash it out behind closed doors. Yet, none of that still excuses how BP treated another person. It can't be defended.

That's just Dusty being Dusty..... Pamper the kids as much as possible.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those five words describe most of the team's problem-zero leadership from the manager. No way should he have tolerated Phillips barging into his office like that.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it from Philip's perspective, he is a guy who has been hitting (fairly well) outside of his natural spot all year, he has proven throughout his career he can hit #2, he has had multiple all-star seasons, etc.
Yet is getting compared to a chump like Todd Frazier after a single game after he went to the manager, thinking he could help the team, by some fatass monday morning quarterback.

Sure he shouldn't have lashed out, but I don't blame the guy for being mad.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it from Philip's perspective, he is a guy who has been hitting (fairly well) outside of his natural spot all year, he has proven throughout his career he can hit #2, he has had multiple all-star seasons, etc.
Yet is getting compared to a chump like Todd Frazier after a single game after he went to the manager, thinking he could help the team, by some fatass monday morning quarterback.

Sure he shouldn't have lashed out, but I don't blame the guy for being mad.

Being mad, and lacking respect and class are two totally different things. That's what we are talking about here.

I can understand BP being upset. He's thinned skinned at times. He's emotional. I get that. But that doesn't give him the right to do what he did. Whether he disagrees with "fatass monday morning quarterback" or not, it still does not give him the right to go off the way he did. Period. End of Story.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being mad, and lacking respect and class are two totally different things. That's what we are talking about here.

I can understand BP being upset. He's thinned skinned at times. He's emotional. I get that. But that doesn't give him the right to do what he did. Whether he disagrees with "fatass monday morning quarterback" or not, it still does not give him the right to go off the way he did. Period. End of Story.

Fair enough. I am not going to give him a hard time about it, though.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And neither is Dusty..... And that's a problem.

Phillips has proven several times this year that he can be a distraction and a major pain in the ass. It's not something a team needs as it has the potential to implode. The whole "Manny being Manny" way of treating athletes does not work over the long run. Sooner or later it will bite you in the ass.

Someone in the Reds organization needs to set him straight.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty needs to go. All I hear is how the players like him, but do they respect him? Would a guy like Phillips have broken into Lou Pinella's office and disrupted his meeting? Doubtful. Nobody respects Dusty, and it's time to show him the door.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right. I agree with that. I mean, he should apologize, but it's not like anyone is saying "Oh, we have to get rid of him".

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's embarrassing watching our hitters try to bunt. Most MLB pitchers are better than our everyday starters.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Cozart leads the league in sac bunts, believe it or not. He also has like 10 sac flies.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm scared shitless about Chapman pitching the ninth. Hasn't been in a game since Aug 24.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was Billy Hamilton brought up?

1 game, 1 SB.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody needs to teach that kid how to get on base..... Even when he's not stealing he is in the head of the pitchers and catchers.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just needs to beat the ball into the ground and he'll hit .280----if he can do that and be patient, he'll have an OBP around .350, and that should make him worth 120+ runs scored a year.