• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds thread

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds on verge of signing Phillips to a big contract for around 5 years probably around 70 million according to Reds.com and Jocko. Granted, I am coming up with the figures, but Jocko said he expects it to be inked in a week. Team initially offered Phillips 4 years for around 50 million, Phillips said he was holding out for 5 to 6 years. I imagine he will be signed for 5 years for around 70 million.

I guess the farming industry has become a profitable business as Farmer Bob has opened up the vault to keep two of his better players. That right side is gold glove all ove rthe place for the next 5 years now as Votto, Phillips and Bruce should make a solid core defensively.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castellini is doing all the right things.....he deserves our support.....I haven't been to a game since the new stadium was built, and I'm planning to go to several this year......I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.....given a choice between investing in the Reds or the Bengals, it's no contest......

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like 5 years for BP.

Sorry. This smacks of Barry Larkin all over again. Granted, BP has always been way more healthy, but he's on the wrong side of 30. How many 2B continue to be great defensive 2B past 34 or 35...if this is a 5 year deal, this would take him til he's 37, if I'm right (I think he's 32 this year). And with the added wear and tear on his body for the range of defense he playes...I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I love BP and would love to see him be a Red, but I wouldn't probably offer more than 3 years with maybe a mutual/club option for a 4th year. Guys like Gregorious very well could be ready for SS in another year, or two, and Cozart would be a natural to be at 2B.....They also have Billy Hamilton and a few others.....

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds looked good today. That play by Rolen in the 2nd or 3rd was a thing of beauty. Good to see Bruce get out to a good start. Cueto pitched like we all expected him too. I think this is going to be a very good team this year.

I agree and Marshall looked sharp as well.Got alot to look forward to with this club.:smokin:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chapman was filthy. He should be arrested for the way he abused Reyes.

His last K...looking for the big time heat, a 90 MHP slider was off the charts good.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castellini is doing all the right things.....he deserves our support.....I haven't been to a game since the new stadium was built, and I'm planning to go to several this year......I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.....given a choice between investing in the Reds or the Bengals, it's no contest......

Good to hear. Being out of the city, it always sucks to hear about attendance lacking, especially during the playoff run 2 years ago. As much as people complain, the Reds are one of the cheapest tickets in the majors. Hell, I bought a 20 game season pack for the Nats just so I could get 3 of their first 4 games to see the Reds 3 times this year

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry. This smacks of Barry Larkin all over again. Granted, BP has always been way more healthy, but he's on the wrong side of 30. How many 2B continue to be great defensive 2B past 34 or 35...if this is a 5 year deal, this would take him til he's 37, if I'm right (I think he's 32 this year). And with the added wear and tear on his body for the range of defense he playes...I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I love BP and would love to see him be a Red, but I wouldn't probably offer more than 3 years with maybe a mutual/club option for a 4th year. Guys like Gregorious very well could be ready for SS in another year, or two, and Cozart would be a natural to be at 2B.....They also have Billy Hamilton and a few others.....

Biggio played into his 40s.....while it's true he switched between 2b and cf I don't think he lost his defensive ability until the very end......I think five years is just about right for Brandon, who seems to take good care of his body.....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggio played into his 40s.....while it's true he switched between 2b and cf I don't think he lost his defensive ability until the very end......I think five years is just about right for Brandon, who seems to take good care of his body.....

I agree he takes excellent care of himself, and I would love to see him retire as a Red.

I'm also weary about his ability to hold up as he hits his mid 30's. However, the contract would take him til he's 36, if 5 years, as he turns 31 in June of this year...so, not quite as bad as first thought, but I would still like to see a 4 year deal with an "option" for a 5th.

Also, would like to see that it's not back-loaded like Votto's contract.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they initially offered a 4 year deal, but Phillips wanted 5. I think you have to give in, and add the 5th year to keep him. It's worth the risk IMO.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chapman was filthy. He should be arrested for the way he abused Reyes.

His last K...looking for the big time heat, a 90 MHP slider was off the charts good.

That was just nasty. As they broke to commercial, they showed the SO pitch in slo-mo, and as Reyes face turned, he looked like he was thinking "wow".

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is 30 this year!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is 30 this year!

His BD is listed as 6/81

He turnd 30 in 2011, and will turn 31 this year. If he signs a 5 year deal, it will take him til he's 36.

I know he takes great care of himself, but the demanding style of play on defense he offers takes a toll on the body. I'm just worried about how his body will respond when he starts hitting 34-35...those are not kind years.

I'm not saying he'll be terrible, but I wouldn't project his long-term viability as good as Votto's. A big part of that is less wear and tear by defensive position's played, and their pure hitting talen. While BP is a decent enough hitter, Votto will be able to roll out of bed and hit .280-.300 without trying even as he approaches his mid 30's.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His BD is listed as 6/81

He turnd 30 in 2011, and will turn 31 this year. If he signs a 5 year deal, it will take him til he's 36.

I know he takes great care of himself, but the demanding style of play on defense he offers takes a toll on the body. I'm just worried about how his body will respond when he starts hitting 34-35...those are not kind years.

I'm not saying he'll be terrible, but I wouldn't project his long-term viability as good as Votto's. A big part of that is less wear and tear by defensive position's played, and their pure hitting talen. While BP is a decent enough hitter, Votto will be able to roll out of bed and hit .280-.300 without trying even as he approaches his mid 30's.

As long as Bob doesn't think this deal will hinder our ability to resign Cueto, Latos, Chapman, Leake, I am all for it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Bob doesn't think this deal will hinder our ability to resign Cueto, Latos, Chapman, Leake, I am all for it.

All of those are under control til 2015 or beyond, if I am not mistaken.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think he's going to suddenly stink from age 35 to 36, so I don't see the drawback to giving in to him for that last year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's going to suddenly stink from age 35 to 36, so I don't see the drawback to giving in to him for that last year.

I'm not saying he's going to suck all of a sudden, but just pointing out the potential pitfalls with signing a defensive guy (mostly) to a long contract in which will occur in years most athletes experience a rapid decline is speed and range.

If brandon were more of a pure hitter (a la jeff kent or even biggio) I would be a lot more OK with the length of the contract.

Again, I'm not against the contract...it just makes me uneasy, more so than the votto contract, if you can believe that based on the actual amount of years.

I hope it gets done, and I hope that my fears are unfounded

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think both Votto and BP would be happy to get these contracts out of the way,now they can focus more on the seasons at hand and can maybe be more productive in yrs to come.Atleast its one less thing for them to have to worry about...but thats just me.:yo: