• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds thread

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Marshall is now our closer and poor Aroldis Chapman probably becomes the LH setup man.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough loss, but I think we can survive it. It would have been much worse to lose one of our top 2 rotation guys.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably going to be closer by committee now.....Marshall will be first up to close, but look for Bray, Masset and even Ondrusek to get opportunities.....throw Chapman into the mix if he doesn't make the rotation......Hell, the Cards won it all last year without a designated closer......

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just give the job to Chapman for fuck sake.

Some retard on a Reds board I frequent suggested Homer Bailey for the role. I read it and spit my whiskey all over myself. Idiot caused me to waste fine quality cheap whiskey.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just give the job to Chapman for fuck sake.

Some retard on a Reds board I frequent suggested Homer Bailey for the role. I read it and spit my whiskey all over myself. Idiot caused me to waste fine quality cheap whiskey.

I would not make Bailey any closer either. Either he wins a job in the rotation, or he is probably not goign to be on this team too long.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mat Latos left the game in the fifth inning yesterday with what was called "a calf strain".....he's listed as "day to day"....

Would anyone like to start a pool on date of amputation?

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mat Latos left the game in the fifth inning yesterday with what was called "a calf strain".....he's listed as "day to day"....

Would anyone like to start a pool on date of amputation?

I think Latos will be alright.:crutch:

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not make Bailey any closer either. Either he wins a job in the rotation, or he is probably not goign to be on this team too long.

He's not exactly "winning" the job.....though they may give it to him....I think Chapman should start, and Bailey should be in the Cards or Brewers starting rotation....sounds like a win/win to me.....

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Latos will be alright.:crutch:

Hope so, but keep in mind many elbow and shoulder problems have started with injuries to the legs, making the pitcher throw from an off balance position and adding extra strain to the arm.......

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope so, but keep in mind many elbow and shoulder problems have started with injuries to the legs, making the pitcher throw from an off balance position and adding extra strain to the arm.......

Very true doug,just hope its not another Madson deal.:thumbsdown:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I read correctly, he came off the mound on a pitch and twisted his ankle, leading to the calf-pull. Not 100% sure about that, but thought I saw that on twitter somewhere.

Chapman is making it tough on them...he's really out-pitched Bailey in the spring, but it's just spring numbers. Not exactly something to base everything off.

If bailey can make the transition to the 'pen, then fine, but I've heard he takes too long to warm-up to make that switch. If so, I guess you run Bailey out there for awhile and hope that his spring was just a spring, and he can resume last years pitching once the season starts. You can't option him, and you're going to need a 6th and 7th starter at some point in the year. Chapman going to AAA would allow him to continue to fine-tune his 2nd and 3rd pitches and continue to work on throwing strikes.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole key with Chapman is whether he's stretched out enough to throw 90-100 pitches....if he is, and he's throwing strikes, it's a no brainer imo.....I believe he threw 78 pitches in his last start, so he's getting there.....Bailey really needed to impress this spring, and he hasn't......sucks that he's out of options, but another way to look at it is we've used all his options and still don't know what we have.......

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole key with Chapman is whether he's stretched out enough to throw 90-100 pitches....if he is, and he's throwing strikes, it's a no brainer imo.....I believe he threw 78 pitches in his last start, so he's getting there.....Bailey really needed to impress this spring, and he hasn't......sucks that he's out of options, but another way to look at it is we've used all his options and still don't know what we have.......

Yeah, but you could also argue that he's out of options because the Reds f'd up in bringing him up too early the year they did.

Same goes with the handling of Chapman. He was useless in his relief stint in 2010. Yes, he put up good numbers, but that team would have won the NLC without him in the 'pen. Should have been working on starting at AAA. Then, the Reds' double F'd up by not keeping him in AAA last year when they sent him down. Should have used that time to transition him back into a starter after their initial F-up in 2010.

The Reds brass, in general, have royally screwed up this whole thing with Chapman. No doubt Baker wants Chapman in the 'pen, and Walt is saying he either makes the starting 5 or he goes down to AAA, as he is looking Long-term, and Dusty is on a one year deal right now and needs to win now.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty's situation is irrelevant, imo.....and yes, they fucked up both Chapman and Bailey....it may be too late for Bailey, but not for Chapman......I think he just might be ready to start this year, and if true, he'd be a waste either in the bullpen or AAA.....I'm hearing his delivery is much more compact now, and that is leading to the better control....if he can throw strikes at 98 mph he is still going to be very formidable.....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty's situation is irrelevant, imo.....and yes, they fucked up both Chapman and Bailey....it may be too late for Bailey, but not for Chapman......I think he just might be ready to start this year, and if true, he'd be a waste either in the bullpen or AAA.....I'm hearing his delivery is much more compact now, and that is leading to the better control....if he can throw strikes at 98 mph he is still going to be very formidable.....

Dusty's situation is a bit relavent because: He's on a one year deal. He needs to win now. He favors more veteran plays, and probably would prefer to have Bailey as the 5th starter and Chapman in the 'pen, as that gives the Reds the best all-around pitching. Now, Chapman has thrown a bit of a kink into that plan because he's pitched very well as a starter, so this may be a completely moot point. But before hand, when they were talking about Chapman back to the 'pen, I believe that was more Dusty's wanting than Walt's willingness. Walt has to look long-term, and to get the return on investment with Chapman, they have to have him starting. One way or another. I think Dusty was at odds with that previously. maybe not so much now because of how well he's pitched as a starter.

I hope Chapman does well, but in the grand scheme of things, you hate to lose a guy like Bailey for nothing if you can't put him in the 'pen. If you risk losing him, then either Chapman goes to AAA or the 'pen. If those are the only two options they have with Chapman, then I'd rather see him go to AAA and keep working on his stuff rather than waste all of that by going to the 'pen again, thus further his ability as a starter.

Also, you almost think that Bailey has to get the 5th spot, and Chapman to AAA, just because the Reds have no depth with pitching. When there is an injury (Not if, but when) it wouldn't suck to have Chapman getting the call-up to pitch. I grant that Bailey hasn't earned that 5th spot, but he may get it just because of how little depth there is with the starting pitching, and the Reds really can't afford to waste Bailey, as much as he has struggled over the past few years to really live up to being a top of the rotation pitcher. Reds still have him under control for a few more years, and I don't think they are going to waste their #1 overall pick who is salary controlled for the most part just to start Chapman when Chapman has options.

Not saying I agree with that, but I think that's just how it's going to end up playing out.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh.... I'm getting depressed and the season hasn't even started yet!

Oh well..... In Dusty we Trusty.