• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox throttle hapless M's,make the smart move, add Peavy for pennies on the dollar

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Who's going to play 3rd the rest of the season? Brock Holt, Snyder, WMB? Not too appealing
2) If Buchholz finally decides he wants to pitch again, who gets bumped from the rotation? Based on the status of the other guys, it would have to be Doubront, who has pitched pretty well as of late.
3) Sox seemed to be a team that needed another bullpen arm (maybe two) and then see what happens from there. The way the Rays are looking, not sure any trade is going to vault the Sox over them.
4) If Iglesias only played SS - I definitely could see this trade making sense. But him playing third frequently, and then leaving a hole there makes it a little odd.

The only thing that makes this a good trade is Iglesias' apparent fall back to earth batting-wise. But I think as we watch Brock Holt, Snyder or WMB butcher third and strikeout a lot, we probably could have lived with Iglesias.

For starters...let's get this out of the way...Iglesias's last 18 games, .167/.167/.167 not a walk or xbh in 3 weeks...the correction we all knew was coming? Came down like a fucking hammer a month ago...

1. WMB for starters...and if he sucks? another option for 3rd is Bogaerts...he started playing their last week in Pawtucket...

2. Dempster has closing experience...it was 5-6 years ago...but he's done it adequately in the past and could be asked to move out there again...he'd be the better option based on experience than Dubrount...

3. They can now move Workman to the pen, and I still think De La Rosa comes in and gives them a second one...based on the costs for the rather mediocre relievers left on the market? This made much more sense

4. It's a hole that matches up with literally the position of greatest depth in the farm system...they dealt from a strength, and gave up a guy that wasn't in their long term plans anyway...

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just gave up a 23 year old who's batting .330 for a 32 year old who's best days are behind him.

un

freakin

believable

is danny ainge running the red sox too??

LMAO

iglesias BA has dropped like dirts pants in times square

fast and ugly

he was over .400 around the AS break

this is the jose iglesias we know

he may not crack .200 in a full season

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just gave up a 23 year old who's batting .330 for a 32 year old who's best days are behind him.

un

freakin

believable

is danny ainge running the red sox too??

he will finish the season hitting less than .275....for the year. With an OPS closer to .600 than .700....

You can't live on infield hits and bleeders and expect to hit .330

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
somebody was going to be traded, either middlebrooks or iglesias

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
somebody was going to be traded, either middlebrooks or iglesias

And power bats are tough to come by...there's a far better chance that middlebrooks approach improves and he turns into a solid right handed bat with 25+ HR potential...than Iglesias turning, into a league average SS from a batting perspective.

I love the kids glove...absolutely fawn over him....he's incredible...but you have to hit in the majors...some...

his bat will keep him at a league average SS level...and possibly might make him a super defensive sub infielder...AKA, pokey reese.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And power bats are tough to come by...there's a far better chance that middlebrooks approach improves and he turns into a solid right handed bat with 25+ HR potential...than Iglesias turning, into a league average SS from a batting perspective.

I love the kids glove...absolutely fawn over him....he's incredible...but you have to hit in the majors...some...

his bat will keep him at a league average SS level...and possibly might make him a super defensive sub infielder...AKA, pokey reese.

this

Middlebrooks upside is a lot bigger

he hit 15 homers and 54 rbis in 75 games his first year..........that projects nicely over 162 if he ever corrects his issues

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no

its because no one cares

i assume youre talking marlins...those toddlers they called up that arent ready and will be ruined because of it

dude, no one cares about the marlins

nobody

no one

not even people in miami

This is one of those egg/chicken discussions. It won't be proven one way or other until something different is done. Unfortunately, MLB doesn't have the leadership to force a change of coverage for their product across the board, so we may never know.

You guys like E!SPN and FOX - and if I were a Yankee or Red Sox fan, I probably would too (as most supporters of those networks are). I like MLB Network. To me, it's where a real baseball fan goes because they cover everyone without bias or excuses. And coverage is based on how a team is doing and how important a story really is - not some arbitrary decision that is based by leadership that is invested in the league.

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can look at ESPN, the multibillion dollar network, and conclude their marketing strategies don't accomplish the one goal they have..."failed" Laughable...

And again...brand new stadium...brand new team.....same fucking fans = no one showed up last year, and they're dead last , yet again, in attendance this year....

Why should ESPN spend any time placating fans that don't care enough to watch the team in question themselves...

Miami, and florida in general, SUCKS for pro-sports...the people down there don't right give a fuck about it, until it becomes the cool thing in town (The Heat)

"hey...bieber is going to this sporting event thing...we should go!!! I think it's called basekethockey or something"

I can't argue about the popular thing and the fans down here because that is true.

However, when I see an empty Mets stadium and those kiddy networks are promoting that team, there's no excuse for that other than the fact that the Mets are in the backyard of FOX and of course E!SPN and FOX are all about NY and Boston, so they cover them. Especially when the Mets are currently 21st in attendance.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those egg/chicken discussions. It won't be proven one way or other until something different is done. Unfortunately, MLB doesn't have the leadership to force a change of coverage for their product across the board, so we may never know.

MLB leadership has nothing to do with how ESPN runs their business...ESPN cares about profit...nothing else...thinking they should care about something else, is the height of naivety...

You guys like E!SPN and FOX

literally no one has said this....the only time I watch that network is when the Sox are on it...and the occasional matchup that gets my attention...

And coverage is based on how a team is doing

If that's how you feel, how much coverage does a basement dwelling joke of a franchise that fire sales every three years, deserve?

Answer: As much as ESPN gives them....

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest on Phillies third baseman Michael Young:

• Young has changed his mind and is now willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to the Red Sox, tweets [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]362594808121917443[/MEDIA]"]Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports[/ame]. Previously, he was only willing to go back to the Rangers.

To late?

Last edited by a moderator:

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue about the popular thing and the fans down here because that is true.

Until that changes...don't expect someone in the business of making money off ratings to care a fuck about them...
However, when I see an empty Mets stadium

ignoring the fact that NY is the 2nd largest TV market on the planet, the mets are outdrawing the Marlins by 10,000 fans per game this year. And with all the buzz surrounding the Marlins last year, and the ineptness of the Mets last year...the mets STILL outdrew them...

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at this year's MLB attendance on E!SPN's website. funny how they have this information on their own website, but don't make decisions based on it.

Current 2013 MLB Attendance

Yankees 3rd, Red Sox 9th (where'd RSN go after 2007?), Mets 21st

Interesting. Why do the Mets get more coverage than about 18 of the 20 other franchises above them in attendance? Why do the Red Sox get more coverage than 7 of the 8 teams above them in attendance?

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at this year's MLB attendance on E!SPN's website. funny how they have this information on their own website, but don't make decisions based on it.

Interesting. Why do the Mets get more coverage than about 18 of the 20 other franchises above them in attendance? Why do the Red Sox get more coverage than 7 of the 8 teams above them in attendance?

Here comes ther % play. Fenway is tiny look at the % we kill the yankees. Its not our fault their stadium holds 1,000,000 people. Plus look at the size of NY compared to Bos...they suck, Bos rules

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still don't get why you care.

"I hate that network, I will never watch it. Sure wish they gave my team more air time while I'm not watching".

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

attendance started dropping in 2009 or 2010, not before

which is why they signed Carl Crawford

attendance still down this year, despite the team success

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2048-KateUpton-jpg_213446.jpg

bazinga - unfortunately she's wearing a bra.

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB leadership has nothing to do with how ESPN runs their business...ESPN cares about profit...nothing else...thinking they should care about something else, is the height of naivety...

literally no one has said this....the only time I watch that network is when the Sox are on it...and the occasional matchup that gets my attention...

If that's how you feel, how much coverage does a basement dwelling joke of a franchise that fire sales every three years, deserve?

Answer: As much as ESPN gives them....

You watch E!SPN only when the Red Sox are on? So essentially whenever E!SPN talks baseball because all of their baseball discussion and coverage includes the Red Sox - even when it shouldn't involve the Red Sox or Yankees or Mets.

How much should the other teams with higher attendance than the favored 3 or teams that are also playoff teams get? See my attendance chart...from E!SPN.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JIM BOWDEN @JimBowdenESPNxm
For Michael Young it appears to be Red Sox or Phillies...Period...Red Sox would be my guess when the clock turns 1

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've come to a conclusion. The Miami Heat should loan LeBron to the Marlins. Something will have to give then. either E!SPN and FOX will cover the Marlins or they'll stop covering LeBron.

I'm betting they choose to stop covering leBron because that would be the final straw for them after he rejected the Knicks in 2010.