• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox throttle hapless M's,make the smart move, add Peavy for pennies on the dollar

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet they're up there. Physical attendance at the ballpark doesn't matter. It's ratings - how many people turn on the TV and tune in when a game is broadcast nationally. I'll venture to guess that regular season Yankees - Sox games get better ratings than any other regular season match up in baseball including Cards - Cubs.

And again, that comes back to our chicken/egg discussion.

Why do they get better ratings - because the Yankees and Red Sox are more popular on tv or because E!SPN and FOX promotes their games more?

You guys forget that I run my own business. I believe that marketing dictates sales. The product doesn't sell itself. Therefore, I'm on the side that if those kiddy networks promoted the other 27 teams the way that the promote the teams in their backyard, those games would get high ratings too. Look at the Little League World Series for example. You really think many people would watch that if it wasn't marketed so well by the kiddy networks? Good marketing can sell you anything. The belief that it's the product that can't be sold is complete bullshit. with the marketing resources that they have access to, the kiddy networks could sell 500 mile turtle racing if they wanted to.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huston Street has been lights out for quite awhile now. Can you guys get Cherington to make that call?

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Jack Nicholson wearing a Yankee's hat last night. Where's the outcry from the Dodgers fans???

He probably also roots for the Red Wings and Steelers.

LOL!

Does he still root for the Lakers or is he on the Clippers bandwagon now?

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, that comes back to our chicken/egg discussion.

Why do they get better ratings - because the Yankees and Red Sox are more popular on tv or because E!SPN and FOX promotes their games more?

You guys forget that I run my own business. I believe that marketing dictates sales.

It's the marlins job...not ESPN/Fox's..

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox just tied their best rated national game of the year a couple weeks ago...

Sox/Yankees...did a 2.5 nationally...

Braves phillies did a 1.9

it is what it is....

Again...chicken/egg argument.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...chicken/egg argument.

No...you expect a private business to do the job of marketing and promoting another private business...when it's more cost effective to just put what the viewers are asking for on...

And how do you market the Marlins?

"tonight on Sunday night baseball, we'll feature the Marlins...let's get a good look at some players your team will be trading for soon"

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the marlins job...not ESPN/Fox's..

Why not? If E!SPN and FOX are not biased, then shouldn't they promote all 30 MLB teams equally for their coverage of MLB? Makes sense doesn't it? Or is it that they only want to cover Boston and NY baseball so that is all they promote?

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...you expect a private business to do the job of marketing and promoting another private business...when it's more cost effective to just put what the viewers are asking for on...

And how do you market the Marlins?

"tonight on Sunday night baseball, we'll feature the Marlins...let's get a good look at some players your team will be trading for soon"

They find a way with the Mets, don't they?

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1930s are celebrated as one of Hollywood's golden ages, but in an exclusive excerpt from his controversial new book, The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler (Harvard University Press, on sale Sept. 9), Harvard post-doctoral fellow Ben Urwand uncovers a darker side to Hollywood's past.
Drawing on a wealth of archival documents in the U.S. and Germany, he reveals the shocking extent to which Hollywood cooperated and collaborated with the Nazis during the decade leading up to World War II to protect its business.
Indeed, "collaboration" (and its German translation, Zusammenarbeit) is a word that appears regularly in the correspondence between studio officials and the Nazis. Although the word is fraught with meaning to modern ears, its everyday use at the time underscored the eagerness of both sides to smooth away their differences to preserve commerce.

Nazi supporters int he 30's and 40's...obama stool pigeon's today...not much has changed in Tinseltown.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They find a way with the Mets, don't they?

Again...as bad as the mets are, they have an engaged fanbase in the 2nd largest TV market on the planet...an frankly? I don't see a ton of Mets coverage on ESPN or Fox.

Fox has 1 game featuring the mets on their schedule remaining.

MLBN and ESPN/ESPN2 has 0, the same number of marlins games they have....:whistle:

The Cubs have 4 :noidea:

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...as bad as the mets are, they have an engaged fanbase in the 2nd largest TV market on the planet...an frankly? I don't see a ton of Mets coverage on ESPN or Fox.

Fox has 1 game featuring the mets on their schedule remaining.

MLBN and ESPN/ESPN2 has 0, the same number of marlins games they have....:whistle:

The Cubs have 4 :noidea:

I wouldn't put MLBN in the same sentence with the kiddy networks.

It's not just the games, it's the segments, etc.

FOX is pro NY. Mets shouldn't even have 1 game left. They're done. Playoff teams should be on. As of tomorrow, it's freakin August. Who the fuck wants to watch the Mets? Put the A's, Rangers, Reds, Rays, Indians, Royals, D-Backs, or Pirates on. Several of them have better attendance and viewership than the Mets anyhow.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Willing To Listen On Anyone

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 11:41am CST]
WEDNESDAY: Even the newly-acquired Matt Garza could be in play for the Rangers, [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]362613735187152898[/MEDIA]"]tweets Rosenthal[/ame].
TUESDAY: The Rangers are willing to listen on anyone, report [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]362274590392717313[/MEDIA]"]Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports[/ame], including shortstop Elvis Andrus. The Rangers have not have any substantive trade conversations involving Andrus, however, cautions [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]362281561342746625[/MEDIA]"]Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM[/ame]. The team is known to be aggressively seeking a bat, especially given the possibility of Nelson Cruz being suspended. [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]362281705987518465[/MEDIA]"]Bowden says[/ame] they're focused more on outfielders than DH types.
At .250/.310/.289 in 458 plate appearances, the 24-year-old Andrus has not done much offensively this year. In theory, the Rangers could trade him and replace him with 20-year-old rookie Jurickson Profar. Andrus signed an eight-year, $120MM extension with the Rangers in April, which includes opt-out clauses after the 2018 and '19 seasons as well as a 2023 vesting option that becomes a player option upon a trade. The Cardinals would seem to be a logical fit for Andrus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck wants to watch the Mets?

Mets fans...the game would do better than an A's D'backs matchup...and ESPN cares about one thing and one thing only...ratings...

I know...you think they should invest air time and millions in marketing the Marlins...when it's the marlins job to do that...

Remember...Miami gets an equal portion of national TV revenues...not even the marlins want the marlins on a national game..it would hurt their own bottom line...

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the marlins should be contracted

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the marlins should be contracted

The Rays should be moved to Nashville. Nashville would support the shit out of them instead of those Rays "fans" who won't take free tickets but then show up with the foam fingers when the playoffs start.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...if you missed this...AJ Burnett getting charged...by an umpire...

http://deadspin.com/catcher-restrains-umpire-from-charging-the-mound-974945096

Love how Martin handled it...well done...

Someone apparently forget to tell this ump he could've just booted burnett on the spot.

Were you watching the game? Ump was way outta line, then when Martin was trying to restrain him, the 3rd base ump starts waling to the mound to take to AJ and he was having none of that shit. The umps looked silly.