• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox throttle hapless M's,make the smart move, add Peavy for pennies on the dollar

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all saw this coming...but the pieces involved?

trivial

Jake Peavy to Boston in 3-team deal

Updated: July 31, 2013, 3:55 AM ET
By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox have been discussing a possible trade for Jake Peavy for days but were unable to find an agreeable match.
It wasn't until they engaged the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday, Boston general manager Ben Cherington said, that the pieces finally fell into place. The end result was a three-team, seven-player deal in which Boston received the 32-year-old veteran starter they were seeking to bolster their rotation for a postseason run.

The Tigers, meanwhile, acquired gifted gloveman Jose Iglesias from Boston as the shortstop they will need if All-Star Jhonny Peralta is suspended, as anticipated, as part of MLB's Biogenesis investigation. The White Sox acquired outfielder Avisail Garcia, regarded as the top power prospect in the Detroit system, plus three prospects from the Red Sox: 100-mph throwing right-hander from Class A Greenville, 20-year-old Dominican Francelis Montas, righty J.B. Wendelken and infielder Cleuluis Rondon.
Boston also acquired another player from Detroit's 40-man roster, right-handed reliever Brayan Villarreal, who is currently with Triple-A Toledo and has been sidelined with a sprained thumb. Villareal will be assigned to Boston's Triple-A team, Pawtucket.
Peavy, who was scratched from his scheduled start for the White Sox on Tuesday, is expected to arrive in Boston on Wednesday, Cherington said, but will not start Wednesday night's game against the Seattle Mariners.
The deal would appear to strengthen two teams who expect to be playing in October: the Red Sox, who are a half-game behind the surging Tampa Bay Rays in the AL East, and the Tigers, the defending AL champions who are 2½ games ahead of the Cleveland Indians in the AL Central. The White Sox, last in the AL Central, continue the process of rebuilding; they already made one deal with Boston earlier this month, acquiring outfield prospect Brandon Jacobs for left-handed reliever Matt Thornton.
"We're really excited to bring Jake in here," said Cherington, who noted that Red Sox special assignment scout Mark Wasinger was the scout who originally signed Peavy to a big league contract after he was drafted in the 15th round by San Diego in 1999. "He's obviously a proven major league starter with a ton of success in his career.
"The one thing we wanted to do, if we could pull it off, when we looked at the next two months, we're in a position to compete for a playoff spot,and adding a starting pitcher was the most important thing we could do to add to that."

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
down can vouch...none of these kids are top prospects or the "coveted ones" for the most part. guys like owens stayed put:

three prospects from the Red Sox: 100-mph throwing right-hander from Class A Greenville, 20-year-old Dominican Francelis Montas, righty J.B. Wendelken and infielder Cleuluis Rondon.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who needs Jake Peavy when you have Brandon Workman! The Red Sox have won the Peavy Sweepstakes, although I don’t know if that means winning the lottery or cashing in your $10 prize at 7-Eleven. Peavy’s injury history (long) and home run issues (14 in 80 innings) make him a wild card acquisition; this isn’t the same thing as trading for Cliff Lee, or even close to trading for Cliff Lee.

Peavy, however, comes a lot cheaper. The Red Sox got to keep all their top prospects and surrendered only slick-fielding Jose Iglesias, who has a superficially good .330/.376/.406 batting line with the Red Sox in 215 at-bats. He’s not close to a .300 hitter, let alone a .330 hitter. A few weeks ago I looked at all his hits and they featured an unsustainable number of infield singles, five-hoppers that sneaked through and bloopers just over the heads of infielders. In July, he’s hitting .205 with one extra-base hit in 83 at-bats and he’s a career .244/.296/.292 hitter in Triple-A in nearly 1,000 plate appearances. But he can pick it at shortstop (or third base, where he’s been playing a lot for the Red Sox) and I suppose there’s a small chance that he could improve at the plate, a la Omar Vizquel.

So good job by Red Sox GM Ben Cherington to sell high on Iglesias, even if Peavy is more of a No. 3-4 starter than a 1 or 2. But acquiring Iglesias makes sense for the Tigers, who will likely see shortstop Jhonny Peralta get suspended any day now in the fallout from the Biogenesis investigation. Iglesias will be an improvement over Peralta on defense -- although Peralta’s minus-3 Defensive Runs Saved haven’t hurt the team as much Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder, both rated at minus-10 at the corner infield spots.

The White Sox get Avisail Garcia in the deal, a player scouts like a lot but sabermetric types are skeptical about, due to a low walk rate in the minors. Still, if he puts it together, there’s a lot of upside there. Put me in the skeptical category; probably a big league regular, but I don’t foresee a star player.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
note to the idiot masses:

no one is saying peavy is cliff lee, or a savior...but he fills a need as a between 3-5 in the rotation, and came at a mind bogglingly low cost.

i will take this rotation in a series

Buchholz (health pending)
Lester
Lackey
Peavy
Dempster

doubront and workman as the odd men out/injury replacement if needed...pen help, desperatley needed

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your thread will get more play then mine... So i'll just state what I said on mine here:

ATo393G.gif

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many games does Peavy pitch before hitting the DL?

Workman got out a bases loaded jam which impressed me, i thought he would have given up at least 2 runs but it all worked out nicely.

As far as Peavy is concerned not a big fan of this move but he is a veteran and like you said the price was very cheap. however I am sick and tired of the revolving door at shortstop... Since Nomar left there have be 10... that's right 10 different SS

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boston Red Sox tonight acquired right-handers Jake Peavy from the Chicago White Sox and Brayan Villarreal from the Detroit Tigers and sent shortstop Jose Iglesias to Detroit in a three-team, seven-player deal that sent three minor leaguers to Chicago. In the trade, the Red Sox acquired outfielder Avisail Garcia from Detroit and sent him to Chicago.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Workman got out a bases loaded jam which impressed me, i thought he would have given up at least 2 runs but it all worked out nicely.

As far as Peavy is concerned not a big fan of this move but he is a veteran and like you said the price was very cheap. however I am sick and tired of the revolving door at shortstop... Since Nomar left there have be 10... that's right 10 different SS

boegarts (spelling) is our short stop next season...wouldnt shock me if we saw his as a fall call up

hes gonna be here a long time

PS didnt see your thread, sorry

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very happy with this trade

sox fans have to love it, and the haters..well...they'll treat this like we think we aquired pedro again...but thats just them being stupid.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries I started it at like 6:30, i'm shocked it was even on the main page still.

Boegarts will be the ss but what happens this season when Drew goes down... will they bring up Boegarts?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries I started it at like 6:30, i'm shocked it was even on the main page still.

Boegarts will be the ss but what happens this season when Drew goes down... will they bring up Boegarts?

exactly

if he gets hurt, yes...but i still see them adding him to the 40 man roster at some point

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone in baseball is looking up at the raised jolly roger this morning

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida...not like the rest of us:

Florida deputies shoot man they mistook for car thief in his own driveway

Pensacola, Florida (CNN) -- Was he a suspect or a victim?
A Florida sheriff says an unarmed man -- mistaken for a car thief and shot by deputies in his own driveway -- is both.
He refused to obey commands and lunged at the deputies who fired their weapons 15 times to subdue him, they say.
Roy Middleton, 60, was hit by two of those rounds in his legs. He is in good condition at a Pensacola hospital after a metal rod was placed inside his shattered left leg.
"The tragedy of this is the noncompliance to the directions of law enforcement officers," said Sheriff David Morgan of Escambia County, Florida. "Had that occurred we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's a tragedy all the way around. He is both a suspect and a victim."
'Like a firing squad'
The bizarre story started Saturday around 2:30 a.m. as Middleton was returning home.
Searching for a cigarette inside his White Lincoln Town Car, he appears to have been mistaken for a car thief by a concerned neighbor who called 911. Escambia County Sheriff's Deputy Jeremiah Meeks and Sgt. Matthew White responded to the call.
This is where the story takes a fork in the road.
Middleton's family said he was not feeling well enough to discuss what happened to him.
But earlier this week, he told the Pensacola News Journal that he first thought someone was joking when they yelled at him to, "Get your hands where I can see them."
He said that as he was turning around to face deputies with his hands raised, they opened fire.
"It was like a firing squad. Bullets were flying everywhere," he told the News Journal.
Deputies feared for their lives
But the deputies involved told a different story.
Meeks fired 12 shots and White fired three times, authorities said. They are now on paid administrative leave. Five of the bullets hit the White Town car, which was parked under a carport in a dark area of the property.
The deputies were in fear for their own safety, according to the sheriff.
"He came out of the car with more of a lunging motion coming out of the car, and the deputies were standing behind him and he had what appeared to be a metallic object in his hand," Sheriff David Morgan said.
Not buying it
But Middleton's family doesn't believe that story. His mother, Ceola Walker, 77, told CNN that her son was holding his car keys with a small flashlight on the key chain. She does not believe he lunged at deputies.
"I don't believe that. He said he didn't. I don't believe that," she said.
She says her son is incredibly lucky.
"They could have hit his upper body, but they didn't ....God just shielded him. I know he did, cause they was trying to kill him," she said.
Andre Lauzon, who lives next door and witnessed the incident, said it lasted less than 30 seconds.
Deafening gunfire
He was out smoking a cigarette on his front lawn when the deputies arrived, he said. His view was obscured by darkness, and at one point he lost sight of Middleton.
But the sound of gunfire, he said, was deafening.
"I'm very surprised that all they did was hit him in the leg," he said.
Timeline, lab analysis
Lauzon says his neighbor may have had trouble getting down to the ground because he was standing between his car and the wall of the carport.
"I don't have any doubt -- even not being able to see what was going on -- that he was complying with them," he told CNN. " Maybe not in the time frame that the officer was looking for -- but it seemed he was complying."
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has taken over the investigation at the request of the Sheriff's Office.
"FDLE investigators are developing a timeline and conducting interviews and crime laboratory scientists are conducting lab analysis," Gretl Plessinger, a spokeswoman for the agency, said in a statement. "Once our investigation is complete, FDLE will provide the case to the state attorney's office. The state attorney will determine whether or not any laws were broken.
Walker said her son takes pain medication for a bad back. The investigation will determine whether that played a role in the incident.
"The message to the public is this was a tragedy," Morgan said. "And it was a tragedy because we had an individual, a citizen, who for whatever reason, either impairment due to alcohol or drugs, or just taking it upon himself not to be compliant to following basic direct orders."
But his mother disputes the sheriff's theory that her son was a suspect and a victim at the same time.
"How can you be a suspect and a victim at your own house? In your own yard, in your own car?" Walker asked.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man who scored first points in NBA history dies at 94

he was from NY and was a shifty joo

so little news here

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your thread will get more play then mine... So i'll just state what I said on mine here:

ATo393G.gif

One of the better celebration fails that I've seen. I was dying last night when it happened.

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe the Sox need to get their any SS on their roster on PEDs like Nomah was. That outta keep them around for a awhile. Big Papi needs to stop being greedy and share those Dominican Shakes.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Sox need to get their any SS on their roster on PEDs like Nomah was. That outta keep them around for a awhile. Big Papi needs to stop being greedy and share those Dominican Shakes.

aww

hectors never heard of Bogaerts

cute

Last edited by a moderator: