• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox throttle hapless M's,make the smart move, add Peavy for pennies on the dollar

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
601982_489788044439800_1863529155_n.jpg

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wake up assholes

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the better celebration fails that I've seen. I was dying last night when it happened.

I'm still laughing... So tomorrow he goes on the DL right

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemens had some interesting things to say last night about the upcoming suspensions. Basically complaining about people making off the cuff remarks without knowing all the facts. And he still made it sound like he's innocent of everything. Workman pitched for same college as Clemens. First Sox rookie to have his first three starts with two runs or less since the 70s

Also, last night, Yanks hit their first road home run since July 2nd. That's mind boggling. With the way their starters are pitching lately, if they had anything near to what their offense usually is, they'd be right in the mix for the East division right now.

Rays, 22-4 or something silly like that, best month of baseball (or best July)since a Yankee team in the 40s.

Cardinals free falling

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida...not like the rest of us:

Florida deputies shoot man they mistook for car thief in his own driveway

Pensacola, Florida (CNN) -- Was he a suspect or a victim?
A Florida sheriff says an unarmed man -- mistaken for a car thief and shot by deputies in his own driveway -- is both.
He refused to obey commands and lunged at the deputies who fired their weapons 15 times to subdue him, they say.
Roy Middleton, 60, was hit by two of those rounds in his legs. He is in good condition at a Pensacola hospital after a metal rod was placed inside his shattered left leg.
"The tragedy of this is the noncompliance to the directions of law enforcement officers," said Sheriff David Morgan of Escambia County, Florida. "Had that occurred we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's a tragedy all the way around. He is both a suspect and a victim."
'Like a firing squad'
The bizarre story started Saturday around 2:30 a.m. as Middleton was returning home.
Searching for a cigarette inside his White Lincoln Town Car, he appears to have been mistaken for a car thief by a concerned neighbor who called 911. Escambia County Sheriff's Deputy Jeremiah Meeks and Sgt. Matthew White responded to the call.
This is where the story takes a fork in the road.
Middleton's family said he was not feeling well enough to discuss what happened to him.
But earlier this week, he told the Pensacola News Journal that he first thought someone was joking when they yelled at him to, "Get your hands where I can see them."
He said that as he was turning around to face deputies with his hands raised, they opened fire.
"It was like a firing squad. Bullets were flying everywhere," he told the News Journal.
Deputies feared for their lives
But the deputies involved told a different story.
Meeks fired 12 shots and White fired three times, authorities said. They are now on paid administrative leave. Five of the bullets hit the White Town car, which was parked under a carport in a dark area of the property.
The deputies were in fear for their own safety, according to the sheriff.
"He came out of the car with more of a lunging motion coming out of the car, and the deputies were standing behind him and he had what appeared to be a metallic object in his hand," Sheriff David Morgan said.
Not buying it
But Middleton's family doesn't believe that story. His mother, Ceola Walker, 77, told CNN that her son was holding his car keys with a small flashlight on the key chain. She does not believe he lunged at deputies.
"I don't believe that. He said he didn't. I don't believe that," she said.
She says her son is incredibly lucky.
"They could have hit his upper body, but they didn't ....God just shielded him. I know he did, cause they was trying to kill him," she said.
Andre Lauzon, who lives next door and witnessed the incident, said it lasted less than 30 seconds.
Deafening gunfire
He was out smoking a cigarette on his front lawn when the deputies arrived, he said. His view was obscured by darkness, and at one point he lost sight of Middleton.
But the sound of gunfire, he said, was deafening.
"I'm very surprised that all they did was hit him in the leg," he said.
Timeline, lab analysis
Lauzon says his neighbor may have had trouble getting down to the ground because he was standing between his car and the wall of the carport.
"I don't have any doubt -- even not being able to see what was going on -- that he was complying with them," he told CNN. " Maybe not in the time frame that the officer was looking for -- but it seemed he was complying."
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has taken over the investigation at the request of the Sheriff's Office.
"FDLE investigators are developing a timeline and conducting interviews and crime laboratory scientists are conducting lab analysis," Gretl Plessinger, a spokeswoman for the agency, said in a statement. "Once our investigation is complete, FDLE will provide the case to the state attorney's office. The state attorney will determine whether or not any laws were broken.
Walker said her son takes pain medication for a bad back. The investigation will determine whether that played a role in the incident.
"The message to the public is this was a tragedy," Morgan said. "And it was a tragedy because we had an individual, a citizen, who for whatever reason, either impairment due to alcohol or drugs, or just taking it upon himself not to be compliant to following basic direct orders."
But his mother disputes the sheriff's theory that her son was a suspect and a victim at the same time.
"How can you be a suspect and a victim at your own house? In your own yard, in your own car?" Walker asked.

Yeah, this story. A brotha, North Florida, police officers. What do you expect? It's almost as bad as being a brotha who is a professor trying to enter his own home in Boston.

15 shots fired in 30 seconds - 12 by one officer alone? You've got to be fuckin' kidding me. How is that justified? And furthermore, how bad of a fuckin' shot are you firing that many shots at a 60 year old man with a back problem and you miss nearly all of the shots? And the contradiction of missing that many shots, but having been able to have enough vision to have been able to claim you saw something shiny on him that warranted shooting in the first place? How the fuck can you have enough vision to see a shiny object (which would have to reflect off of some light - perhaps an officer's flashlight or the LEO vehicle's light), but not be able to see well enough to cause major harm to a target that you shot at 15 times? This whole story is stupid and I truly will love to see how this is handled just based on the contradiction itself.

Stories like this make me knock on wood every day. I remember when I first moved to my neighborhood in Palmetto Bay/Pinecrest. I was always getting the second look - even sometimes to this very day. So much for progress in race relations.

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aww

hectors never heard of Bogaerts

cute

When did I say that? I was making a point. E!SPN and FOX keep everyone well informed of the Red Sox, Yankees, and Mets and all other Boston and NY teams. Bogaerts is practically a celebrity, and he hasn't done shit yet. But make sure that Papi gives him the shakes.

Oh wait...there is one thing that E!SPN and FOX haven't provided us about Boston, but I don't know if it's their fault. I have heard nothing of Big Papi's investigation into why he tested positive for PEDs. I'm still waiting. Anyone hear about how it's going?

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still laughing... So tomorrow he goes on the DL right

That would be a hilarious climax to that celebration - right up there with all of Chris Coghlan's continuous injuries since the infamous pie incident.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did I say that? I was making a point. E!SPN and FOX keep everyone well informed of the Red Sox, Yankees, and Mets and all other Boston and NY teams. Bogaerts is practically a celebrity, and he hasn't done shit yet. But make sure that Papi gives him the shakes.

Oh wait...there is one thing that E!SPN and FOX haven't provided us about Boston, but I don't know if it's their fault. I have heard nothing of Big Papi's investigation into why he tested positive for PEDs. I'm still waiting. Anyone hear about how it's going?

soon as the people of Florida pay attention to their MLB teams, maybe ESPN and FOX will too

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemens had some interesting things to say last night about the upcoming suspensions. Basically complaining about people making off the cuff remarks without knowing all the facts. And he still made it sound like he's innocent of everything. Workman pitched for same college as Clemens. First Sox rookie to have his first three starts with two runs or less since the 70s

Also, last night, Yanks hit their first road home run since July 2nd. That's mind boggling. With the way their starters are pitching lately, if they had anything near to what their offense usually is, they'd be right in the mix for the East division right now.

Rays, 22-4 or something silly like that, best month of baseball (or best July)since a Yankee team in the 40s.

Cardinals free falling

this reads like peter gammons right after his stroke

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

your record is broken

Teal Swordsman

Marlins Fan Base
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
soon as the people of Florida pay attention to their MLB teams, maybe ESPN and FOX will too

What's the excuse for the other 26 besides the Marlins teams that E!SPN and FOX don't like covering? What's the excuse for covering the Mets and all their empty seats?

E!SPN and FOX = sports coverage for the kiddies.

MLB Network, NFL Network, NBA TV = sports coverage for the real sports fan.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
note to the idiot masses:

no one is saying peavy is cliff lee, or a savior...but he fills a need as a between 3-5 in the rotation, and came at a mind bogglingly low cost.

i will take this rotation in a series

Buchholz (health pending)
Lester
Lackey
Peavy
Dempster

doubront and workman as the odd men out/injury replacement if needed...pen help, desperatley needed

This...except I think Dempster is the odd man going to the pen in a all pitchers are healthy scenerio...he has experience doing it...at least that's what SHOULD happen

At the rumored "top prospect" cost price? I hated peavy...for a SS that's not in their plans next year? This is a classic deal from your strength move.

Be prepared to fight off countless "guess iggy sucks again" jests...Iggy doesn't suck...if he was still a "prospect" he'd be somewhere in the bottom half of the Sox top 10....but I still like this move for a couple of reasons.

Cherrington gets bonus points for creativity...talk is last night this was a dead deal until they get the Tigers involved for Iggy...using biogen to their advantage allowed them to sell him at a time his value couldn't get higher.

I give the trade an A....but for impact? They're still getting a mid rotation innings eater...it allows them to try Workman in a relief role the rest of this year...and if/when Buccholz comes back? I really like this rotation....

WMB has been called up, ending speculation that it would be Bogaerts...who still might make his debut in the next couple of weeks.

As for the low level guys? I hate trading from the DSL/GCL/Lowell levels...you never really know what you have down there...none of these guys are even in Soxprospects top 60....but, in a year or 2? They could uncover a gem.

Rondon, undersized middle infielder. Has never hit as a pro...still young enough that he should bulk up some...

Montos, this is the 100mph kid...but he's got brutal command issues and is homer prone...but huge upside, most likely as a reliever...

Wendelken is a closer in A ball...decent stuff, but doesn't strike out a ton....

None of these guys are MLB'ers before 2016....

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the excuse for the other 26 besides the Marlins teams that E!SPN and FOX don't like covering? What's the excuse for covering the Mets and all their empty seats?

last Sunday's ESPN game and this Sunday, who played?

ESPN has been sucking lebron's dick for ten years now, where's he play these days?

And the Rays have been getting a ton of coverage on sportscenter in the past month

As for the Mets, it has everything to do with Harvey and last night Wheeler had a no no into the 7th

I don't watch Fox for sports other than football

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude...you've been spouting this shit for years...we get it...you think there is a vast media conspiracy against the Marlins to keep them in the basement.

Point made.

Move the fuck on...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This...except I think Dempster is the odd man going to the pen in a all pitchers are healthy scenerio...he has experience doing it...at least that's what SHOULD happen

At the rumored "top prospect" cost price? I hated peavy...for a SS that's not in their plans next year? This is a classic deal from your strength move.

Be prepared to fight off countless "guess iggy sucks again" jests...Iggy doesn't suck...if he was still a "prospect" he'd be somewhere in the bottom half of the Sox top 10....but I still like this move for a couple of reasons.

Cherrington gets bonus points for creativity...talk is last night this was a dead deal until they get the Tigers involved for Iggy...using biogen to their advantage allowed them to sell him at a time his value couldn't get higher.

I give the trade an A....but for impact? They're still getting a mid rotation innings eater...it allows them to try Workman in a relief role the rest of this year...and if/when Buccholz comes back? I really like this rotation....

WMB has been called up, ending speculation that it would be Bogaerts...who still might make his debut in the next couple of weeks.

As for the low level guys? I hate trading from the DSL/GCL/Lowell levels...you never really know what you have down there...none of these guys are even in Soxprospects top 60....but, in a year or 2? They could uncover a gem.

Rondon, undersized middle infielder. Has never hit as a pro...still young enough that he should bulk up some...

Montos, this is the 100mph kid...but he's got brutal command issues and is homer prone...but huge upside, most likely as a reliever...

Wendelken is a closer in A ball...decent stuff, but doesn't strike out a ton....

None of these guys are MLB'ers before 2016....

i grabbed xander in fantasy and benched him
keeper

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little more on the releiver they got back from detroit...
Villarreal allowed 10 runs in just 4 1/3 innings for the Tigers this season prior to the trade, but he was significantly better in 2012, posting a 2.63 ERA In 54 2/3 innings for the big league club. He averaged 97.1 mph on his heater last season, according to Fangraphs. In 34 1/3 innings at Triple-A Toledo this year, the 26-year-old Villarreal owns a 3.15 ERA with 10.7 K/9 but a troubling 6.8 BB/9 rate.

The way I look at it? If a team with a horrible bullpen trades you a bullpen arm? Chances are he's horrible.