• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox 2016 Outlook

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox Projected Lineup, Rotation, and Bullpen (all subject to Dombrowski's wims)

Lineup

Betts - RF

Pedroia - 2B

Bogaerts - SS

Ortiz - DH

Ramirez - 1B (chuckle chuckle)

Sandoval - 3B (chunky chunky)

Bradley - CF

Swihart - C

Castillo - RF

I certainly love the top 4. Ramirez and Sandoval (like last season) hold the keys to the offense. If they hit like they have in the past (pre-2015), we have a top 5 offense, and we can work an opposing staff and bullpen.

Bradley, Swihart, and Castillo all come with question marks, but if the top 6 hit, we don't need more than good defense, and the occasional RBI from these guys.

Rotation

Price

Buchholz

Miley

Porcello

Ed-Rod

You can flip Buchy and Porcello if you like, but I listed Buchy 2nd because he is the better pitcher when healthy. I also went L-R-L-R-L with the rotation. Of course, that doesn't matter too much because Ed-Rod and Price would still pitch back to back. I went with Ed-Rod 5th because the Sox can better limit his innings from the last spot with skipped and pushed back starts.

Owens, Johnson (when healthy) and Wright give us decent options in the minors in case of injury, or when a spot starter is needed.

Bullpen

Kimbrel - R

Uehara - R

Tazawa - R

Kelly - R

Barnes - R

Light/Hembree - R

Ross - L

Layne -LOOGY

Solid 7th to 9th inning options here with Koji getting equally important 8th inning outs setting up Kimbrel. Barnes and Kelly add some much needed power arms to the bullpen. I think Kelly can excel as a one inning guy throwing 97-98 mph. I hope the Sox hold onto him. I also like Workman here once he recovers from TJ surgery around mid-season. And Pat Light could be given a shot to earn a spot in the spring vs. Heath Hembree if nobody else is brought in. We do need a stronger lefty presence, though.

My fear about Kimbrel is that he gave up a career high 6 HR's in 2015 and now he will pitch with the Green Monster behind him.

Bench

Holt - can play everywhere, but I would trade him while value is at highest

Young - can back up all 3 OF spots, and platoon with Bradley Jr.

Hanigan/Vasquez - both solid defensively and can hit a little

Shaw - him making the team depends on if the Sox carry an 8th reliever. He can back up Hanley at 1B, Papi (with Ramirez to DH), and in a pinch, Sandoval at 3B. Also a nice pinch hitting lefty presence.

Minors

I'm not going to run through our top minor leaguers, just the guys that are likely next to get the call in case of injury.

Owens - SP

Wright - SP

Johnson - SP

Marrero - INF

Craig - INF/OF? - unless he can be traded

Rutledge - INF

Cecchini - 3B

None of our top prospects are ready for the majors and many will likely be in High A or Double-A.

2016 Outlook:

The Sox are definite AL East contenders, and most likely the favorites right now. I also see this team as a legitimate WS contender.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD is working his ass off trying to deal Ramirez and Bucholz. He'd like a solid #2 starter or a power bat for 1B. He'll make it happen if he has to eat 90% of Ramirez's contract.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD is working his ass off trying to deal Ramirez and Bucholz. He'd like a solid #2 starter or a power bat for 1B. He'll make it happen if he has to eat 90% of Ramirez's contract.

I don't like the idea of trading Buchholz. With the $$$ guys like Samardzija, Leake (expected $15mm), etc. getting, Buchy is a bargain at $13mm even if he only makes 20-25 starts. He has proven to be quality when on the mound, and we hold and affordable $13.5mm option for 2017.

HOLD.