• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RBs with highest percentage of running against 8 men in the box

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pro Football Focus:

After some interesting tweets yesterday we went away & ran some numbers. Which running back faced highest % of 8 men in the box?

It wasn't Adrian Peterson. He "only" faced the third highest % (34.5% of all rushes)

A very good guess. He's second with 39.1% @oconnorkyle: @PFF Shonn Greene?

We have a winner. 42.3% of plays w/ at least 8 men in box. League average is 23.3% @MarkusEricsson: @PFF Gore?

Check the site in an hour or go and we'll have a table up with all running backs with at least 100 carries.

Not far off. 6.1% - lowest in league RT @Justin_Rogers: @PFF Mikel Leshoure, 1.2 percent. (joking. kinda).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm somewhat surprised by that given that we had Kap hitting deep for almost half the season. Though we run a lot of two-TE or TE-FB sets, which would tend to bring an extra defender in. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that this upcoming year. Seems that Kap's success going deep would push defenders back a bit.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm somewhat surprised by that given that we had Kap hitting deep for almost half the season. Though we run a lot of two-TE or TE-FB sets, which would tend to bring an extra defender in. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that this upcoming year. Seems that Kap's success going deep would push defenders back a bit.

And that is exactly it! We love to run that power running style (oline is our biggest strength on offense), so we motion that extra TE and make it even more crowded simply to allow Alex/Kaep to get more one on ones on the outside (deep flag pattern to Davis, or Crabtree down and in). We want less safety help over the top, so we tend to motion that extra TE to lure them to a favorable matchup (Crabs one on one, or Davis one on one). A lot of times though it is entirely up to our QB to decide on whether or not he wants to audible out of that matchup (refuses to go for that bait / one-on-one) by choosing to run it with Gore.

Roman's scheme doesn't tell the entire story of what PFF is accounting as 8-men in the box.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That, and we had Alex back there for the first half of the season. Not a threat for the deep pass...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That, and we had Alex back there for the first half of the season. Not a threat for the deep pass...

also with kap they have to respect the option plays.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit gettin' nerdy up in this bitch.

Love it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You know, the more I think about this, the more I think Frank is the odd RB who might actually do better against a full box. He doesn't have the speed to run away from guys on the back end, but he still has enough vision, physicality, and - I don't want to say wiggle, exactly, but ability to make guys miss in the short area that if he gets to the second level against a stacked box he's pretty dangerous.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know, the more I think about this, the more I think Frank is the odd RB who might actually do better against a full box. He doesn't have the speed to run away from guys on the back end, but he still has enough vision, physicality, and - I don't want to say wiggle, exactly, but ability to make guys miss in the short area that if he gets to the second level against a stacked box he's pretty dangerous.

in this regard, we hope Lattimore is 'odd' too.